Everfree Northwest Readers and Writers 286 members · 305 stories
Comments ( 9 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 9

So, I've been a loyal attendee of Everfree NW for a while, and I really enjoy it.

This year, though, I've been invited (out of the blue) to be on a fanfic panel at BABScon in San Francisco...
I'm really flattered by that, and it kinda makes me want to go there.
But I can only really afford to go to one con this year. :twilightoops:

So, I'm asking for the thoughts of others here about it... especially those who've been on panels, and those who've been to other cons (where the writing track might not be as good).
What do you think I should do?

(Keeping in mind that SF is 875 miles from me, while Seattle is only 280 miles.)

Well, from a strictly objective standpoint, I'd say stick to EFNW just because of travel costs. :ajsmug:

On a much less objective note, I'd say stick to EFNW because I'll be there as well, and likely on one of the panels myself. :pinkiehappy:

So, in summary, go to EFNW. :derpytongue2:

On a side note, where exactly are you at? I can't offer anything in the way of a room share, but traveling companions are always nice. I'm not exactly sure if I'll be driving or taking the train up from Eugene, OR...

I'll be leaving from Spokane WA

Who invited you to that panel?

2795153 I know how you feel. Unless I can get $400 in two months, I won't make it to BabsCon. :ajsleepy:

However, I am going to EVNW this year! Hopefully we'll see each other! :pinkiehappy:

I'll be at EFNW, so you should go there! :trollestia:

horizon
Group Admin

Speaking as one of the EFNW writing track organizers, I certainly hope that you come to Everfree this year! We're working our hardest to make it the best pony fanfic con out there! :pinkiehappy: There's an entire weekend packed with writing events — approximately 16 hours of paneling all told.

That having been said, Babscon has got some great people working for them too and they certainly seem to be taking fanfic seriously too! I plan to attend it as well and may possibly be speaking at one or more fanfic panels myself (it's been discussed but not yet settled).

If you can only go to one, there are a lot of other factors to consider — logistics (transportation, hotel/room share), cost, and who will be there (both friends you want to see, and guests you'd like to meet). It's really tough to talk about those in the abstract but it's good to speak up so you can get a sense of who will be where. :twilightsmile:

Piquo Pie
Group Admin

As the head of the writing track I would like to make two broad points, history and future opportunity, in addition to what you already listed.

This is the third EFNW, and the first BABScon.

This might mean there will never be another BABScon. A lot of first year cons don't make it and many times they did nothing wrong. But there is a good chance that EFNW will be back next year as we are one of the biggest cons.

At the same time EFNW has more experience at being a con for writers and for having a lot of fun on the writing track. We had the largest last year and the most community guest, everyone from fimfiction pre-readers, to EQD pre-readers and a wide variety of both small and large community authors.

For the future opportunities, would you ever go to San Fransisco or might this really be your only chance? Is The Bay a place you want to visit? Have you been there befor? Do you have friends there or who are going? Then ask yourself the same about Seattle? AND is there a chance that you might move before being able to make another con and would this move affect your choice in the future.

Next, which has the better event line up and writing track. Obviously EFNW's is not out yet and I do not believe BABS's is either. However you can look at last years EFNW's when BABS's comes out to get a good idea of each con's strength and weaknesses. Just know we plan on surpassing last years.

Last, and most importantly, is the fact that you were asked to panel at BABS. If you like the idea of paneling, which it seems you very much do, and you don't manage to make it to being a panelist at EFNW I would say that is a huge reason to go to BABScon over us. Paneling is amazing and once you start it will be a big help to panel at other cons in the future. It's also amazingly fun in so many ways.

As it seems you have not applied to EFNW I will provide the link here.

Hopefully this helps you make the decisions that you will be most happy with.

That said, I hope to see you at EFNW :scootangel:

Okay, I applied at EFNW :twilightsmile:

Ugh... decisions are hard. :facehoof:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 9