Guns of Equestria 191 members · 111 stories
Comments ( 38 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 38

In an effort to make stories involving firearms more accurate, I wanted to offer my expertise on the matter. I have over 7 years of firearms sales under my belt, along with the fact that I have been owning/shooting/competing with them for nearly 15 years.

If anyone has questions, just let me know. If I can't answer a question I will find out the proper one for you. And yes, my experience does include full auto, suppressed (silenced), short barrel, and destructive devices.

2727892 Can you run normal 5.56 through a suppressor, or does it have to be subsonic?

2728004 You can (provided the can is the proper bore diameter) it just won't be anywhere near as quiet. Your average suppressed 5.56/.223 round through a good suppressor will be ~120db, so nowhere near hearing safe. Subsonic rounds will be significantly quieter, but will not cycle the action on (most) semi auto firearms without modification from stock.*

*A lot of piston firearms have a setting for a wider gas port so subsonics will run reliably. Pistols usually need what is called a piston to increase backpressure so they run.

2728246 Ah, hello. I am currently writing a Top Shot Fanfiction and must verify the authenticity of the operation of my firearms.

2730356 Well, the first challenge revolves around the Maxim machine gun, and the Lee Enfield Rifle. Mind if you check the fiction out and see if the operation is right?

2733292 sure :)

The Maxim section looks good. If you want more detail on the function of it check out the link below.
http://www.allworldwars.com/Handbook%20of%20the%20Maxim%20Automatic%20Machine%20Gun%20Model%201904.html

For the enfield (beginning of the description) it is open the bolt, not open the slide. Also (when blueblood runs dry) you can remove the mag, but the quickest route would be to use a stripper clip to fill the internal mag from above.

All in all, it looks good. Keep up the great work :D

2733669 Thanks! It's a little too bad this fiction didn't get that much popularity upon release...

a bit of a question concerning the Henry rifle. Henrys load using the feed tube on the bottom, by sliding shells in one at a time. it takes a while. Do you think that there is any way that the feed tube could be removed, as in reload by removing an empty tube and replacing it with one that is full?

2734154 No, sorry. The tube is threaded and usually pinned or otherwise set into the receiver. That said, there are a few cheats to go about it. A popular thing for tube fed guns would be to completely pull the inner tube out to fill the magazine. Pretty much twist so it unlocks like normal, and then just pull the whole inner mag out.

For a speedloader from there, a popular thing is (.22 for example) is to use a preloaded tube to drop enough rounds into the magazine tube to fill it. On .22s a straw with one end crimped works pretty darn good. On henrys I imagine you would have to use a section of pex or pcv pipe though.

2734396 no problem :)

What kind of problems would a case less ammo gun have?

2735266 The big problem they have currently is cycling reliably. With caseless ammo, you need to either embed the bullet into the propellant block or (at least theoretically) use a gelled propellant to fill the chamber behind the bullet. Either way, they are filthy and unreliable at this point. In the future if engineers can come up with a better design, who knows.

Just took some photos I think you guys would like... Pardon the watermark, I just put that on what I consider are my really good shots.

Since you started this thread, I can finally ask you a question without having to google it. :twilightblush:

Anyways, in an upcoming future chapter for my fic, the main character's next contract is in a theater. What kind of gun shall he use that can be easily concealable with a built in suppressor and can still hit the target at long range? It doesn't necessarily have to be a sniper rifle. I'm thinking the Honeybadger (or whatever the hell it's called).

This is how it looks like, by the way. I'm sorry if I'm spamming... Just ignore the paint.

2759799 Depends on what you consider long range. If it is inside a theater, you are going to want something suppressed. A short barreled and suppressed rifle like the honey badger would be good but difficult to hide unless it is in a backpack or under a long coat. Still effective with subsonic rounds to 200 yards or so.

Considering it is in a crowded theater, the best thing would be to take the target out from either the projection booth with the SBR, or with a suppressed pistol from shorter range, then use the ensuing chaos to exit. Dress up as an usher or someone else easily ignored. From a few rows back, plug the target, then join the screaming crowd.

2770006 Two more questions, sorry if I'm just wasting your time.

1. Can you do the same in an opera box using the Honey Badger SBR?
2. If the character chooses to plug the target with a pistol at close range, what would be your recommendation of pistols? Something small, preferably.

2770058 yup. I'd just use athe same rifle setup with a 1-6x scope. One shot, bag the rifle and go.

Ideally, it would be integrally suppressed to save on size. Downside to a booth is it is kind of obvious.

2770081 Thanks alot for the help. :twilightsmile:

2770096 Anytime. Remember, the best assassins are invisible. Guy slips in the tub or on the edge of his pool, etc, and it looks like an accident. Barring that, not being noticed is key. Blend into the background , just like hunting. Exactly like hunting, really.

2759863 I just realized two things about that pic. First, the lower would need another pin for the safety to be in that position unless it was broken. Secondly, the Trijicon RMR would need a riser unless people like to smash their face against the stock super tight. :rainbowlaugh:

Just being random.

2777819 Tree moar questchins + two moar. (I typed it out like this for a purpose:moustache:)

1. Recommended optics and attachments for Honey Badger. (foregrip is optional. No giant sniper rifle scopes or anything that doesn't help just to look flashy)
2. Best way to kill a target in a opera if
(A) an actor performing on stage.
(B) a normal guy watching the play.
3. How to not make a murder in a opera look so obvious.

2777985 I'd go bare bones. Less for people to see and fewer serial numbers to trace if you need to ditch the weapon. Rifle, low power scope, and small mag. That's it.

Killing someone on stage will be fairly well obvious. I'd slip something that could be absorbed into the skin into their makeup. Slow enough acting that they just keel over during the opers , but gives you plenty of time to leave. Barring that, check the script for a death scene and use it as an opportunity to show realistic blood from a distance.

In the seats, poison dart with an alkali based toxin to seize their muscles. Dude is near room temp by end of opera and you are long gone. That or just catch the guy in the restroom like the Israeli's used to do. Suppressed .22 to the grape and leave the body in a stall. In seat during the opera, risks are too high.

And for the record, no I don't have experience killing people. Just running with common sense on it.

Oh good god, I'm tired of telling people that they are magazines, not clips.

*bangs head into the desk*

Make it stop...

By the way, have more photos.

Explain this shit to me. I don't even know anymore.

2885020 I... I don't even know what to say to that

2727892 real life, not ponies. What would you recommend for a first time handgun owner. I want to use it for bowling pin shooting, so not defense. I've shot guns before, so its not an issue. Ive had vendors primarily recommend Glocks and berettas. I personally think that a .357 revolver would work well, and I also liked the feel of the Beretta pX4 in my hand once.

2914508 A .357 full frame revolver is a good place to start. Personally, I'm biased toward the Ruger GP100 series. Hefty in the hand and durable to take years of abuse.

The nice thing about revolvers is they are easy to clean/maintain and let you see what is going on with your trigger pull easier than a single action/striker fired firearm. The heaver double action shows what adjustments need to be made easier as you have a higher trigger weight.

On the other hand, revolver triggers wear in beautifully with some practice. We have a S&W 19-5 that was made in the late 70's. Literally thousands of rounds through the gun and the trigger is amazing.

Beyond that, you can shoot low recoil .38 for easy practice and then move up to .357 when able.

All hail the new (ish) M1A Socom. Still can't believe the deal I got. Traded a $1300 (my cost) AR for a $1900 (retail) M1A Socom earlier today.

Opinion on the Bolter in a modern world? I personally find it to be rather weird that the rockets/bolts/projectiles are rocket propelled but need an explosive charge to launch them out of the barrel. That or go gyrojet the whole way.

Thoughts?

3000108 Will be back tomorrow to answer you. Sick as hell today. :pinkiesick:

3000108 The whole thought with the 40k style bolter was to fix the problems with the gyrojet. You literally could put a hand over the muzzle and stop the round without a problem. It really was only lethal at ranges over 50 yards. The bolter pretty much gets it to lethal speeds and then lets the rocket take over.

Either way, it is an answer looking for a problem.

Okay, yeah, this thread has been dead for a few years but if you're still willing to answer questions I have a few.

1. How long would it take for a person with absolutely zero experience with guns to start being able to reliably hit a moving target.
2. How long would said person take to be able to start adjusting for recoil (more or less) subconsciously.

Note: I have never shot a gun so please pardon stupid questions.

I actually had to rejoin this group to answer :rainbowlaugh:

1. There's a lot of 'it depends' for that. How fast they are going, what distance, crosswind, etc. For someone new to guns, you don't want to go straight to larger calibers as you develop bad habits. It's why you start with smaller calibers and learn trigger pull, recoil control, etc. If someone could shoot for 2 hours a day with instruction, I'd say they could do so inside a month. Teaching themselves here and there, it's possible they could, but the consistency of it would be iffy.

2. That one really comes to getting used to the caliber and the person as well. Once you're used to something big, smaller calibers handle really easily though.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 38