The Good HiE List 7,154 members · 462 stories
Comments ( 17 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 17

What do you think?

They are good videos....... don't know what your trying to get at here.

Yeah, what are you trying to tell us with this?

I've noticed in a lot if not most HiEs humans are portrayed as weaker and or lesser by people who don't understand what humans really are.

by people who don't understand what humans really are.

I'm not sure that the guy who made the first video does either. He did hit the nail on the head though with number three being self-delusion, seeing how he points out humanity's 'fearsome' points being stuff like 'they eat.' The whole video only works by suggesting through indirect context that the 'aliens' who discuss this are little better than amoebas that just wait for the sun to shine on them so they can gather energy. Seriously, some proper writing attempt even? First he talks about when is the better way to attack humans and then later on shifts to how 'humans do a thing where they are violent against each other,' as if the narrator forgot everything about the concept of war between sentences.

Oh, goldfish amoeba aliens! Now it makes sense!

Actually that video came from an internet thread that ask (I'm paraphrasing) "you know how in most movies human are always portrayed as weak and dumb compared to aliens, what if in fact they were the most dangerous thing in the galaxy?"

That was a poor video to counter with, though. Of course, the trope of humans being weak/dumb is used so that the aliens will be a veritable threat and won't bore the audience by showing humans just curbstomping, and secondary because not making the aliens as something equal to humanity then the writer doesn't have to come up with a whole military industrial complex or anything analogous to that which makes them an equal threat. "They got big ships that are faster and can take on nukes," is far simpler and faster.

The other trope is where humanity is more often than not a jack-of-all-trades rather than the strongest, smartest, or any other hat. That's because it's easier to make a race that simply is stronger (and since it is usually used in games, must for efficient for gameplay) rather than a race that's made of crystals and has a complete different set of senses or priorities.

As far as those videos go, I much prefer these, since they use things we actually do and are satirical enough that they circle back and DO have a point:

I think you'll love this if you don't already know it.

Have you heard of Humans are Space Orks, cause that is what you are describing, and I totally agree.
Most of Humans are Space Orks stories are about how earth is a deathworld and that most other species come from haven worlds, some funny shit.

Touch red, man, I just linked that! :rainbowlaugh:

Hahahahahaha, great minds think alike.

What I was getting at with this post is that in most HiE humans are portrayed as weak and or fragile, where in the natural world humans are one of if not the most robust (in comparison) species on the planet.

That would be because most people aren't exactly peak examples of humanity and magic is a pretty sizeable advantage. More importantly, the narrative is the most powerful force in fiction and it dictates that if your hero is weaker than your antagonist then your audience feels greater tension when they clash and greater gratification when they triumph in spite of them.

Alternatively, it's because the author doesn't want to write an action or adventure driven story and would prefer to keep the focus on smaller things, like the struggles of finding your place in a new world.

Well, yeah, but until we find out for real, we might be a case of "big fish in a small pond." While a very weak storytelling device, it is a legitimate view as we don't know where we're placed in a larger, off-planet, scale. We might be titans, we might be ants, we might be everything in between. Though the most possible reality will be that we're different. For all we know we might meet a species that is able to push and move hundreds of tons, but might be unable to lift as much as 5 kilograms over their head. How do you settle who's "weaker" there?

In HiEs I'd argue that it all depends on how close to reality you take the cartoon depictions to be. If the anvil to the head that Twilight survived on "feeling pinkie keen" isn't taken just as a comedic effect, as well as other similar things, then ponies can crush a human. If they're taken on more realistic levels, then they are little ponies, and then you have to deal with wtf is the deal with magic and then you might be going back to superhuman capabilities... or not.

But again, that would be moot. The point is storytelling, and an HiE where the human is weak JUST for the sake of needing to be protected or cared for (or to show ponies being awesome) is a very limited device (and boring). If it is used to show the human surviving/winning through his other abilities and choices, then it's pretty much fine and an eligible trope.

Oh yeah, I love those ones!
Though I think my favorite story of similar nature is this one:
Billy-Bob Space Trucker
The channel doing the narration also does many other stories like that, though most of them are a lot shorter.

Just head on over to r/hfy or any Internet forum labeled humansarespaceorcs.

Comment posted by Chatoyance deleted Mar 25th, 2021

reminds me of that Stargate episode, where the aliens are so smart and advanced, they couldn't think "primitivly" enough to kill off an AI threat.

And the answer was "blow up the best ship, because that's what the AI wants, so give it to them."

The aliens lost all concept of sacrifice in the name of victory.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 17