Children of Equestria 1,031 members · 1,503 stories
Comments ( 11 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 11
Cold Spike
Group Admin

I started this group a long ways back and didn't know it would have so many stories added to it, but unlike other groups, I haven't exactly paid any attention to the forums. As a result, most people seemed to have ignored them as well. Do you think I should try and change that? Maybe add things like monthly contests? Try and poke around with conversation pieces that will pop up from time to time? Encourage others to make forum posts? Something?! :derpyderp2:

Let me know what you all think!

I am in the same dilemma for my own group, sure there is a new post now and then, but ever since Knighty and the crew changed group notifications into group feed instead... Well, Groups forums as slowed into that of a crawl. It's hard to get large amounts of attention like usual because so many items share the Feed button. Thus, people usually ignore it.

I haven't exactly paid any attention to the forums. As a result, most people seemed to have ignored them as well.

I don't think this is the reason. Sustained chatter just doesn't really seem to happen in Fimfiction groups. I think it might be because there are so many groups that everyone's attention is spread thin all the time,

Admittedly, a contest would be fun, but there's no telling how many people would actually participate in one. Though there are certainly enough members here to merit a couple.

Cold Spike
Group Admin

4857459 Too much freedom? Too much to do? Makes some sense...

Cold Spike
Group Admin

4857447 So many changes were for the worst. It used to be that coverart was easier to see on the front page, if your story wasn't in the box. Now it's all MOBILE friendly and it sickens me.

Contest!? Yay, I want free stuff! :pinkiehappy: Unless there isn't any prize. I'm still up for a contest though!

4857459 /)Skype Group chat/Steam/TeamSpeak/IRC/Forums/Derpibooru(\

Many people also tend to ignore forum posts or don't subscribe to them for whatever reason their own. Can't blame them given some groups just spam you.

But I think people these days have outgrown forums for the most part and those who used to be super active have moved onto skype and other similar forms of being able to talk with people they share common interests with or whatever there and end up not posting as often on group forums.

Then again, so much happens in the day to day that many probably have very little time to socialize and do other things beyond talking. In my case life is just not allowing me peace of mind to be as active as I once was. So don't feel forced to do anything. Even with big prizes or small ones people tend to miss the memo or just not want to participate.

Just do whatever you feel is worth doing that you enjoy doing. You can't force people to participate, but you can sometimes spark a fun conversation and that's a joy all its own. I still fancy the forums. I'm old school like that. But I don't have much time to respond to many even on skype or wherever so I tend to limit myself to the main areas of interest. Though I've been weening myself away from skype for months and other outlets so as to better ease things should I have to take any long hiatus. I'm rambling now I know, but more typing for myself now than anything, though I hope this makes sense to you.

They may not drink the water in the end but at least you showed them where they can get it.

Groups need constant maintaining to be really active. For some reason, users rarely ever begin to become active in a group's forum on their own. The group must first prove itself and, paradox enough, show activity first before activity comes. I speak of experience there since I'm running the "Cutie Mark(ed) Crusaders" group:

http://www.fimfiction.net/group/209029/cutie-marked-crusaders

Here's some ideas; hold contests, offer prizes for them, launch some threads that allow for long-time participation, keep your eyes open regarding interesting things involving foals and open threads about those, especially if the show or official comics show us something interesting those foals do or introduce new foals as cast members.
If you are able to keep up a certain level of activity and advertise the group in appropriate places (weekly advertisements in the Shameless Self-Promotion Bureau and regularly inviting new members are especially important), then new members should join and over time, they should start opening own threads with own ideas.

Cold Spike
Group Admin

5633127 Why did you reply to a thread and comment that's over a year old? XD :rainbowkiss:

It is? Wow, I didn't see that..... Judging by the small number of comments here and how high up it is, I figured it's a new thread.
Makes even more clear that nothing's really going on here, though. If you want to try and change that, what I said up there counts as much now as it would have been a year ago.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 11