Life in Manehattan 362 members · 19 stories
Comments ( 33 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 33
Ethereal Trixster
Group Contributor

So my story includes an oriiriginal filly set out to garner a certain ponies attention as we are missing a third Cmc member for Manehattan. I'm open for suggestions to changing but I think the little filly falls into the category considering the three we have.

Is this part of your "Dearly Departed" story?

I agree that there should be a third Manehattan crusader. Considering Babs and Tangerine are both earth ponies, and the original CMC have a representative from each tribe, maybe there should even be a fourth.

Do you have a description of your filly?

Goldenheart
Group Contributor

I think it should stay at 3. Like LJP, try to stay from the continuity of the show. Maybe a unicorn or pegasus for the third member, heck, go all out earth ponies.

You make a good point. Technically Applebloom is already the third CMC. They are all earth ponies, which is one diversion from canon, but they're also all cousins. It's great to be close to your family, but they should have somepony who isn't an Apple or Orange on the team. Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo were introduced in the pilot episode of the show, but didn't actually become friends with Apple Bloom until Diamond Tiara's cute-ceanera.

Skyeheart
Group Contributor

And it also stands that Applebloom would quickly recruit them shortly afterwards. Given that Babs mentioned there were two prospects in the canon reunion, perhaps there is a possibility of a fourth.

Ethereal Trixster
Group Contributor

Indeed because at the present moment if you counted Applebloom then it'd be quite common or them to visit ponyville or the latter to come to manehattan to include them in something. I personally like the idea of there being four with Tangerine as the center of the group.

ANd no it doesn't have anything to do with dearly departed, its a different story all together. Firecracker is a grey coated unicorn filly with hazel eyes. Her mane is a tinted-sky blue mess and well she aspires to learn form the greatest Magician she's ever seen Trixie.

For the record, mah policy is ta stick ta canon unless there's a logical reason fer somethin' ta change. In this case, it's a whole different bunch a' Crusaders, so it could very well be more'n three. Or it could jus' be three. Ah'm not gonna pass judgement on this yet. The main question ta ask about it is what kinda themes do we wanna explore with the Crusaders?

The reason there's so few Crusaders in Ponyville, from a Doylist perspective, is that it's a story about bein' small an' strugglin' with the world. It doesn't work if they've got a network. They're not professionals.

But what is the Manehattan CMC's story about? Is it the same thing?

Goldenheart
Group Contributor

This would make an awesome story to explore for the universe wouldn't you say?

Honestly, ah kinda had an idea fer somethin' similar ta Crescent's idea at one point... but with an earth pony.

The themes ah was thinkin' of were: Magic can come from anywhere, an' anypony can be great an' powerful. Natural limitations are somethin' ta be surpassed. This is jus' somethin' ah was thinkin', an' ya don't hafta use it, but it's somethin' ta think about.

By the way, ah think ah'd like ta see five Crusaders in this universe, one representin' each borough a' Neigh York; Manehattan, Brookmane, Saddlen Island, Broncs, an'... ah'm not sure how ta make a pony pun outta Queens. Anyway ah figure Babs could be the Brookmane Crusader, an' Tangerine is obviously the Manehattan one.

Goldenheart
Group Contributor

That's very clever

ah'm not sure how ta make a pony pun outta Queens

Doesn't have to necessarily be a pony pun, especially if you've seen movies like Coming to America.

Consider that Queens was named for Catherine of Braganza, wife of King Charles II. Queens County and Kings County were named for both monarchs respectively. Queens (borough) has the same boundaries as the county, as Brooklyn shares the Kings County border.

A Ponified Queens could feasibly be named after one of the Princesses. To make it as analogous as possible, it would probably be most appropriate if it were named for Luna (pre-Nightmare Moon, obviously).

Ethereal Trixster
Group Contributor

I like that actually all form a different town but collectively looking for there cutie-marks, each bringing a different aspect to them and all gradually coinciding on that goal. Noiw I must make alterations to Firecrackers character

Cosmic Mind
Group Contributor

Best. Idea. Ever.

Skyeheart
Group Contributor

I concur, I may have another CMC soon in that case. As for Queens pony pun...maybe...Quarters or Greens? Those are equine terms.

What about Corona Park?

It's an actual park in Queens (Flushing Meadows-Corona Park, 4th largest in NYC), but it would keep with the "Queens" naming theme in the sense that in this universe it would be named in honor of Celestia.

I know I said before that naming it for Luna would make a good story, but this practically names itself... no ponification required.

Hm... ah say we put it to a vote.

Moons, Greens, or Corona Park?

Cosmic Mind
Group Contributor
Skyeheart
Group Contributor

Corona Park actually sounds good, Moons is a little bland.

Ethereal Trixster
Group Contributor

I'll go with Corona Park.

You don't need to change it, I'd think. Queens would still work in Equestria, I'd think.

1266113 Well, if you end up with 5 CMCs you can make the newcomers a mix of pegasi and unicorn.

Sounds like Corona Park is the favorite. Ah s'pose ah'll figure on that bein' canon.

We have a plan.

Ah've determined that one a' the Crusaders should be a younger sibling to one a' the Six, ta connect their adventures up a little better. Ah'd previously decided Blossomforth should have a sister.

The sister is Shutterfly from Green Isn't Your Color, she's not gonna be a Crusader.

No, the younger sibling looks like Blossomforth an' has an interest in Shutterfly's hobby. Like Blossomforth, this pony was first seen in Ponyville post-s1, so it can be figured that in the show, they moved ta Ponyville together, but in the Manehattanverse, that didn't happen. Our next Crusader will be Featherweight.

So as ah figure it, the breakdown a' Crusaders by borough is:

Manehattan: Tangerine
Brookmane: Babs Seed
Broncs: Firecracker
Corona Park: Featherweight
Saddlen Island: It's a secret! Ah've got a plan for this one!

Anyone who wants ta write a story about Featherweight joinin' the Crusaders, this's yer cue...

Probably the only issue with Featherweight being a CMC is a minor one: he has a cutie mark in canon. I don't personally have a problem with a crusader having a cutie mark if he's helping the others get theirs. Although if you were planning on retconning his cutie mark away like the Dashverse and Lunaverse do for Dinky... (that is, he hasn't gotten it YET in the Manehattanverse), that opens a different can of worms.

Just to clarify, Shutterfly, Blossomforth and Featherweight will be siblings in Manehattan? That's new. I can see the resemblance, though. It could work, and would be a different twist from the usual pairing with Snowflake. Unless Snowflake is Blossomforth's dad... yikes, that could be an interesting family.

I think giving Blossomforth a family will help flesh out her character a bit a lot.

He hasn't gotten it yet. He explicitly received it near the end of season 2 in the show, an' we haven't gotten that far yet.

That's a good point.

In retrospect, better call her "Tracy Flash", not "Shutterfly". It's apparently slightly more commonly used an' it isn't a pun on a canon character's name.

I don't have a character per se, but rather a detail to add to one of the characters' personality. I think one of the Manehatten Crusaders should idolize one of the Manehattenverse 6. In a sense, it's similar to Scootaloo's idolization of Rainbow Dash. However, I think this Crusader should idolize Octavia, even so that they were inspired to practice music from Octavia. I think it would be cute for a kid to attempt to play a viola in a similar way that Octavia plays the Cello, but to account for the size difference. Some character growth could come from that character realizing that their talent is in music, but in a completely different instrument. It would give them the chance to learn to walk their own path rather than to copy an idol.

But what is the Manehattan CMC's story about? Is it the same thing?

I think it depends on how you look at it. From a general perspective, the stories are relatively the same. A group of kids coming together to overcome adversity. But that's just the skeletal structure. The details reveal that the Manehatten Crusaders' formation is quite different than the Ponyville Crusaders.

The Ponyville Crusaders formed because they are three fillies who are all (for lack of a better term) misfits. What makes them misfits is also the detail that they all have in common; the lack of an image on their hindquarters. They came together so that they know that they're not alone.

The Manehatten Crusaders formed for a significantly different reason. They are still (for lack of a better term) misfits who come together to overcome adversity. But as they say, the devil is in the details. Tangerine and Babs Seed came together for a very different reason. Tangerine didn't have friends her own age to socialize with. And Babs didn't have friends to come to her aid when she was being bullied for being a blank flank. After meeting and learning how close Babs lived to Tangerine, Babs' family moved closer, and now they both have friends their own age to socialize with.

Though they've adopted the title because of their friends in Ponyville, I think it's possible that Babs and Tangerine would start their own group separate from the Cutie Mark Crusaders. So in other words, the Manehatten Crusaders may not even technically be Cutie Mark Crusaders at all.

Another thing that would make the Manehatten Crusaders different is location. Ponyville is just a small farming town. Pretty much everyone knows each other there. So it's easy to find ponies who have similar issues. Manehatten however (and by extension, Neigh York), is a large city. So misfits would have a significantly tougher time finding other ponies their age to relate to.

Actually, in the original concept for the show, Celestia was supposed to be a Queen. So calling it Queens and having it in honor of Celestia would actually be a good Easter Egg reference to the show proper.

I'd be fine with Featherweight being a Crusader, considering that, as I pointed out, the reasoning for the Manehatten Crusaders coming together wasn't actually about cutie marks, but socializing with friends their own age in an environment where they can't. Featherweight could be considered a misfit because of how small he is.

Dang it Cocoon. YOU JUST REPLIED TO A 7 YEAR OLD THREAD!

Is that bad? I mean, I have opinions, even if I'm late to the party.

It just seems wrong, even when a group is sometimes inactive. :/

The thing is... you're seven years too late to change anything. Spoiler alert... Featherweight joined the CMCs, and the borough became Corona Park.

Heh... Bulk Biceps was still Snowflake back then. I miss those days...

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 33