Authors Helping Authors 2,464 members · 8,633 stories
Comments ( 12 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 12

Another question for you guys...

It's about fanfic titles. Say you do the noob mistake of puttint a title to your fanfic, you post a few chapters, but then decide to run a search on your title, and find out it's been used... more than once!

So, I ask you my fellow peeps, would changing the title be a good idea?

because I'm a total noob at this site and I don't know any better. Yet. But I'm learning. Little by little. >_>

Don't see why it would be a problem.

Your fic, your choice.

Or you could always ask the readers.

Yeah, but I don't have enough readers to go "ask the readers". Not yet anyway.

And personally, If i'm gonna change the title, I'd rather do it while I don't have a strong following yet. >_>

Well, go ahead and do it. You're always going to run into the problem of naming a fic. The best trick I know to actually avoid wanting to rename in the first place is not to name it until after it's been written.

There are several books with the same title. It just shows that you have good tastes in titles. However, if you want to make your work stand out pull something from the story itself and fashion the title around that.

I don't see why changing the title would be that big a deal to anyone. It's the underlying story that counts.

I do believe my fics have rather original titles. c:

But really. If the name's been used several times. Might wanna look for a new one. Hell, Past Sins would have been a great title for Secrets. But eh, what'you gonna do?

I have changed the title of one of my fics once, because there was a fic of the exact same name with a very similar topic published just a few days before and the other author contacted me about it.

Other than that I tend to do a search for titles before publishing my stories to as to find a unique title.

If it's too generic, then yeah. Change it. Or if either you or a reader comes up with a vastly-improved title for it.

Alright, So I'm thinking of changing "The Journey" to either "The Journey of Her Candidates" or just, "Her Candidates"...

Why? Because...
I eventually reveal that the humans in my fic were brought there because they are candidates to become the next Nightmare Moon, and they have to GTFO of Equestria before it's too late!

I'd have liked to throw THAT in the synopsis too, but it mighta ruined that surprise.

Well, "The Journey" is a pretty generic title, so I wouldn't be opposed to changing it.

Aaaaaaaaaaand I just changed the title.

"Her Candidates" just came better... and makes more sense the more i think my ideas through.

I like this name MUCH better.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 12