Authors Helping Authors 2,462 members · 8,595 stories
Comments ( 6 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 6
TLuna Angels
Deemed by society as outcasts, misfits, losers, no good punks. Apart they are nothing together they are Luna Angels
anarchywolf18 · 12k words  ·  19  3 · 876 views

I been wondering if I should do a time skip or not.

I mean, if you wanna do it I guess I haven’t read your story yet, so I don’t know how that would impact it.

I just cant make up my mind about it

7935901 Better a time skip than a boring chapter.

it depends. If the series of events that is basically your story is significant that it needs to be taken together in close sequence and requires following the main character from start to end like over-the-should style, then don't do a time skip. Are the events a bit spread apart, like 2 weeks, then a month, then half a year, then a decade, then a month? Then that means you story doesn't happen continuously and time skips aren't exactly a 'necessity,' but just part of a story.

For example;
A) God of War 2018 - the story is basically one roadtrip following Kratos & Atreus. The time skip only comes at the very end, which is basically the start of the 2nd game.
B) One Piece or Shonen stories in general - pre-timeskip One Piece was Luffy and the gang snowballing for 2-3 in-universe months until they hit a huge wall. Then they regrouped 2 years later after they got stronger.
C.) Avengers Endgame - They killed Thanos at the start, but they couldn't undo the effects of the snap. So they tried to get on with their lives for 5 years until Antman came back with a way to undo it.

The need for a timeskip is gonna vary depending on the circumstance. Not to get philosophical, but every time you say goodbye then see your friend later. That's essentially a timeskip. Whether it's just a night or a decade later in a reunion, it's a timeskip.

That said, I don't think about it as a tool. Because when it comes up, it just feels natural.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 6