Authors Helping Authors 2,462 members · 8,593 stories
Comments ( 11 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 11

Nearly all of my stories (not including fanfiction) have mostly been adventure/fantasy (not that I've written a lot, I'm somewhat new). I'm thinking of trying to write in new genres at some point. Although that may not be for a while, I'm curious as to how you guys go about learning to write in different genres. Any advice is much appreciated.

This may sound like it's obvious advice, but it's really all you can do:
1.) Read some of the best fics of the genre (however you go about deciding which those are is your choice)
2.) Go out and write one. You don't know if you'll be good at a genre until you try it for yourself. Then you keep writing more and more of it until you get it to a level you're satisfied with.

987001 987014

Can't go wrong with that, really. Have an idea, go and write it. Just be ready to dump it and start from scratch once you've worked out your kinks.

987001 It depends on what genre you want to write. If you're looking for help concerning romance I may be able to lend a hand. I, much like you, also have written mostly adventure themed stories but they do contain some politics and drama. :twilightsmile:

The best teacher is experience. You don't write i different genres. You just write. Write, write, write. Brainstorm story ideas. Be constant.

Well, one of my most liked fanfics "Love, marriage, and Scootaloo" is a completly different genre than I am used to...so I guess I can help.

One thing to do is to look up reviews of the genre that you are writing in and examine the cliches and what makes them good or not. Also, as some have said, actually write and see what happens. Then you cna hear from the commentors on how good they are or not

Nah, the best teacher is a teacher, read a lot, and try to copy the ways how the story is told, that you liked, otherwise you could have the best idea ever, and deliver it poorly.

I think it comes down to real life experience. Ever lost a family member and experienced real grief? You don't need to read a single sad or tragic story to write one. Ever been madly in love and imagined a future with your crush? You don't need to study romance literature to write your romance. Ever had a terrible nightmare, been afraid of the dark or something similar in your childhood? Write a dark story!

I think writing is at its best if the author writes from the heart, and conveys things that impacted him deeply. All else will read ingenuine.

Some solid advice right here, although I would very much advise you to stay away from becoming "Food at a genre", and instead become "Good at a genre", if not "Great at a genre"!
You might even surprise yourself, as some of the best stories are written by authors who are writing outside of their usual genre, because they bring only the best elements of the previous genre into the new one. In the same way that fusion cuisine can occasionally be palette-murdering-ly delicious, some stories can quickly become incredible enjoyable to read!
So go forth and experiment! But don't forget to take advantage of the fact that you do know how to write already! Remember writing your first story? It's easier than that! Good luck! :rainbowkiss:

I always do a bunch of "practice fics" first. Just short stories that you can experiment. Trials of the Republic was actually one of those- My first attempt at a warfic- It just so happened that I nailed it first try.

This may just be me, but listen to music that sets the mood, think about what you want to write and go for it

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 11