World-Building Alliance 2,164 members · 841 stories
Comments ( 15 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 15

Flutter Pony (Microhippus entomopteryx)

This is the thread for the creation and development of a former My Little Pony critter, brought back for the fourth generation to be reborn and retooled. Got some ideas about these winged ponies? Post your speculations, theories, and crackpot bathroom gossip on these classic categories:

Religion
Magic
Culture
Politics
Technology

I'll even toss in a few extra categories, if you want to expand upon this species in more detail:

Origin:
Philosophy/Worldview:
Science:
Feeding:
Life Cycle:

To get you started, here's an image of some of them, courtesy of the My Little Pony Scrapbook : .

Interesting

Are they going to be in season four or is this strictly headcannon?

:applejackunsure: Headcanon, I'm afraid. If they're appearing in season four, I haven't heard anything about it yet. But then, we do have a thread on Bat Ponies, and they don't even exist in any MLPverse, so why not Flutter Ponies? :ajsmug:

I like to think their vaguely related to Changelings. Direct ancestors maybe but not necessarily extinct because of it.

796554 The ‘bat ponies’? Their Luna’s guards. Whether or not their strictly their own race or it’s just part of the armour is debatable but their defiantly a cannon feature…

Flutter ponies: Equus sapiens iactatus

Never gave them much thought since I tend to stick with races that we know are confirmed in G4. But I will give this a shot.

Religion: Much like the other subspecies of Equus sapiens, excluding the Changelings, the Flutter ponies worship the goddess Epona as the great mother of the ponies, though they do worship the gods Caelus of the Sky, and Helios of the Sun as well.

Magic: Much like their G1 counterparts the Flutter Ponies are gifted in wind magics, and while they can't manipulate the weather to the extent the Pegasi can they still can manipulate the winds.

Culture: Not much is know about their culture given their seclusion but what is know is that they are a nation of artisans and their works do fetch a high price in Canterlot and Manehatten. They are also not a nation of warriors and preferring to use illusions and wind magic to hide, but if that doesn't work then the enemy better watch out.

Politics: Absolute monarchy with a royal council.

Technology:Far less advance than the Concordiat, the Flutter Ponies are many centuries behind Equestria in terms of technology having yet to develop steam power.

Origin: Shrouded in secrecy many do not know the origins of the Flutter Ponies but Princess Celestia was able to get much out of her Flutter Pony counterpart when first contact was made. They are an offshoot of the Changelings who broke away from the main colonies and were changed by the Sunstone in their new home.

Philosophy/Worldview: They have a philosophy of seclusion and non-interference to the outside would, preferring to keep to themselves.They are also a race of pacifists, but do have a warrior cast who have renounced their pacifist creed.

Feeding: Unlike their changeling cousins the Flutter Ponies are vegetarians and do not need to feed off the love of other. The magic of the Sunstone negates the Curse laid upon their Changeling fore-bearers.

Life Cycle: A long live race who do follow a similar life cycle to insects. Infants are born blind and without wings or antenna and go through a chrysalis stage which gives them their more insect qualities. Which includes wings, antennae, and a chitinous shell.

Oh, those things are bat ponies? :facehoof: That's me told. I thought they were a fanon invented species, and I always assumed Luna's guards were modified pegasi, but I never put two and two together. In that case, I take back what I said.

Hard to think I came up with all that in five minutes.

My knowledge of previous generation's canon is very limited, so I've never heard of these guys. Though I would like to think their insect/fairy-like wings indicated some relation or connection to the changelings. Perhaps changelings were once flutter ponies who were corrupted by some dark magic...

rphb #10 · Mar 20th, 2013 · · 1 ·

Okay I know about Fluffy ponies
First of all they are fluffy, that is their main characteristic. They have been bread for maximum fluffiness.
Second their intelligence is on par with a two year old child. They cannot speak, are generally very happy and needs constant care if you don't want them to kill themselves. In fact they are very prone to accident and if there is a way for them to kill themselves by accident, that accident usually happens.
However they can reproduce very quickly, because they are asexsually. They reproduce though binary fission like bacteria and parasprites
You must also never get a fluffypony wet, the result can be, bad

Origin: Just to be completely left field, they were a magical experiment gone wrong that accidentally spliced pegasus DNA with that of a dragonfly ie The Fly but without pony headed bugs. Changelings are the other side of the mutation where they took on more physical characteristics of an insectoid.

Philosophy/Worldview: Respectful of many other hybrid creatures, their philosophy is to always understand others whether or not you are disgusted of their origins. It is the perception of others that can deceive even the most level-headed being.

Science: Due to there creation they headed further into biological sciences. Parsprites were their first failed creation to make a cute family pet. Sorta like the Protopet from Ratchet and Clank. They have multiple labs set up away from prying eyes. Several mutations occurred within the species, most involving other bug DNA strands combining to form newer types.

Feeding: They are insectivores that occasionally incorporate fruits and vegetables in their diet. Their tongue is very much a flexible proboscis that spits saliva on food so they can slurp the juices

Life Cycle: 10 years as nymphs before maturing and living for another 30. Some rare cases have been known to remain a nymph for 20 years or more, increasing their lifespan as an adult.

Religion: They worship the unicorn who created them and believe his great great grandchildren will bring a new stage of evolution for their kind. Apart from that they pay respect to the princesses and share many of the pony views.

Magic: Biological, They can mutate very quickly and have a simpler version of changeling shape-shifting. The rest of it is the natural magic from the pegasus DNA.

Culture: A modernized race influenced by their unique origins, their architecture is vaguely Roman with more of a European twist. The strange blending of unicorn and pegasi culture is a shocking contrast to either race.

Politics: A Queen runs the show with subsidiary underlings who act as a shadow ministry. Unlike Chrysalis however she does not birth her kind but is merely elected by a voting system.

Technology: Pony level tech with more emphasis on body modification and physical magic. Unlike other species they do not use any form of vehicle. Why make a carriage when you can increase speed and strength?

welp, looks like we know where the changelings came from

Maybe they'd act like your usual fae-like creatures. Reclusive. Probably simple lives with the simplest of comforts but have a deep understanding of healing magic and some of the most obscure magic possible. They don't have technology because they don't need it. It doesn't benefit them at all. If they worship anything it is the Earth and by extension, Celestia and Luna.

Some are prone to mischief like pixies but never harm their targets. Since most flutter ponies are repelled by boisterous and loud noises they may sneak into a pony town at night to cause mischief. Like Celestia they don't age. If they do die they die still looking youthful. Magically they are pretty strong but posses only half the strength of a regular pony. Can easily be wounded if caught. Maybe they talk in riddles unless they become friends with regular ponies then they will adjust their speech to be more normal.

Probably have the natural ability to bend light and become invisible in an instant and supernaturally quiet.

Diet? Fruits , vegetables, maybe Nectar and Honey.

Worldview? I'm from the G1 generation. In the movie they initially had a "We do not interfere with the outside world/Everything is as it should be" mind set. And so that is how they think unless someone can convince them otherwise.

And random side idea. They can change their size. Normal size they are about as big as the regular earth pony mare and can shrink down to the size of a butterfly.

They also watch over nature. Fluttershy can't literally care for every animal in Equestria.

Religion: they worship the Sun Stone, it keeps their valley alive and the winter away

Magic: comes from their unique wings, though I like to think that they have an inate abilty to grow things steming from all those flower cutie marks, so strong nature talents

Culture: they have their own imortal ruller Queen Rosedust. She is the mother of all and thus her monchary will reign forever. Since they don't have winter, I believe they sleep outdoors with few stone structures to protect them from an ocasional wind-storm.

Politics: not political, they grow things and follow their immortal queen.

Technology: sticks and stones, sun based

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 15