Military Bronies 569 members · 183 stories
Comments ( 14 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 14

I live in Kentucky, am flat-footed, am 16 years old, and have the muscle mass of a twig. Is there any hope of me even trying to enlist for the SEALs when I'm out of High School?

(Also, I was in band playing the Alto Sax for the past 5 years so my lung capacity is larger than about half my grade's.)

1139100 When I enlisted in the Marine Corps, I was the smallest guy in my class. Barely a buck, ten soaking wet. And I am flat footed as well. If I can do that, then I guess you have a chance. I should warn you though, military life is not easy, and the elite Special Forces units are EXTREMELY tough to get into.

If you desire it enough, chase after this goal, and do not give up. I suggest that you get yourself into shape. A lot of running, and calathen... cal... FUCK IT! Just friggin exercise! (Too damn tired to spell right now)

I was Army myself, so I'm not 100%, but I'm 99.999% sure you need to actually join the Navy and compete and earn your way to even be eligible to try out for the SEAL teams when you meet the proper qualifications. And that last .001% is the knowledge that hey, crazier shit has happened, you may just get in right off the bat. But I highly doubt it works that way. Sorry kiddo, you may have to actually be an NCO to go SEAL.

The real problem that you will have is when you get to BUD/S, Navy basic I've heard is not a super tough thing compared to the Army or the Marine Corps. I was reading American Sniper by Chris Kyle and he said that got fat while in basic. If you want to be a SEAL you are going to have to want it as bad as anything you have ever wanted and then some, a lot of some.

They will get you into shape, but you need to start now. Start swimming, running, pushups, situps, etc. The last week of BUD/S is called "Hell Week" and from all of the things I've read, it's almost 90% mental. If you have the mental ability to keep going after you've been knocked down hard, then get back up to do some more and do whatever it takes to achieve your goal, then you're golden. About the selection process, I'd have to agree with Sam Cole, you may have to be an NCO, but it's possible to get in right off the bat. Talk to a recruiter and ask away with your questions, they'll be able to help more.

You might be shocked at what some people can do and others can't. If you just run and do some weight work, or just push-ups, sit-ups, and pull-ups, plus swimming, you might surprise yourself.

I'm recently enlisted in the Navy, and have met a couple SEALs by now. They are the scariest people I have ever encountered in my life. Not because they are tough or strong or quick... because if they say they will move a mountain, they will, one wheelbarrow at a time. They have a perseverance so frighteningly intense, it may as well be a force of nature.

From what I hear about most special forces, you have to meet two kinds of requirements to qualify for their training. One is the physical fitness part, and it's less about muscle mass and more about muscle endurance. Pure strength can be gained rather quickly while in training, but endurance has to be built up over a long period of time. So focus less on bulking up and more on increasing your endurance. Things like cross-country running and long-distance swimming will help you the most, so your high lung capacity may help a little with that. With that said, doing a hundred push-ups every day never hurt anyone. :raritywink:

The second kind of requirement you should be thinking about is the psychological profile. People here have talked about an almost super-human level of perseverance. Let me say that it's not a trait SEALs tend to have, it's a pre-requisite for going to training. SEALs also need to be the quiet, humble type who don't feel the need to go bragging about what they do, mostly because what they do is HEAVILY classified. If someone is the type to boast, sooner or later they will. However, if you never really feel the need to flaunt your badassery to others, chances are you won't, and that's what Special Forces Command really wants.

The last thing I should say is that just wanting to be a SEAL won't make you one. The military has strict requirements for their top tier operators, and not everyone can meet them. But if you have the mental capability to push yourself to the limits and beyond, then you have a shot.

I think you have to go to collage first for special operation forces. Plus in addition your training never ends, kinda like E.O.D they have to retrain each time their term of service is up. But if you wish to go for that strive for it.

Funny Young marines have pulled of the BDU/s training seminar thing the navy holds :ajsmug:

1143903 You don't need to go through college to be a SOF operator. Marcus Luttrell from Team ten didn't. Chris Kyle went for two years but that doesn't really count for anything int he military, it's either four years or higher. I really don't think that they went through the entire BUD/s training course. It may be a seminar, but it's probably a really watered down version of it.

Also, if you're going to be apart of any SOC/SOF team, or even just a conventional you should never stop your training and always go for a higher level of education and never stop learning. When you decide to stop learning, you have just doomed yourself in some fashion.

The doom!!!! why!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

God damn you pop culture! Why must everyone want to be a seal now? What about delta force or the green berets?

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 14