The Sci-Fi Ponies 2,083 members · 1,820 stories
Comments ( 6 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 6

In a future where advanced body mods, such as designer genetics or even cybernetic bodies exist, and are commonplace, how do you think the general population would react to aliens that are fairly similar to us? I would think that the reaction would be subdued due to said intense diversity. Perhaps people wouldn't even give them much more than a second glance?

I mean, sure, they're Aliens and all, but the whole experience is tempered by the fact that Tim down the street is an actual lovecraftian horror.

Just a thought that popped into my head when thinking about Sufficently Advanced.

Lois McMaster Bujold has done what I consider to be a masterful job of this in her Sci-Fi works. From Quaddies to Cetagadan Ghem, and the singular seven-foot tall genetic super-soldier, they're all individuals AND races.

It will open the idea of sapient rights, but I'm pretty sure we'll still be amazed by aliens. For one thing, biology is probably going to be vastly different. Everything we see is still from human imagination. Their culture, and therefore history, stories, art is going to be unique. Scientists would probably be chomping at the bit to compare notes. Maybe one group found something the other didn't.

And most of all, it'll prove that Earth is not alone.

--Appletank, Dorky's #1 fanboy.

Already read it. The last sentence was a downer, though.

4913470 But that's the punch-line!

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 6