Christian Bronies 983 members · 236 stories
Comments ( 17 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 17
Ezio Auditore
Group Admin

Published on Dec 26, 2013
Texas megachurch Pastor John Hagee this week advised atheists who didn't like Christmas to "leave the country" or "take your Walkman and stuff it into your ears."

In a sermon at his Cornerstone Church on Sunday, Hagee warned that "Christmas is under attack in America" because government offices were greeting people with "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas."

"Humanists are now making the claim that Christmas was originally a pagan holiday," he said. "Hey, dummy, look at the word: Christ-mas."

"To all humanists and atheists listening to this telecast: Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness will not be in danger in any way if someone says 'Merry Christmas' around you."

Hagee noted that some would argue that "Merry Christmas" was really a Christian prayer.

"Well, yes it is," he said. "And this is the United States of America that was founded by Christians on Christian principles according to the word of God."

Hagee also had some advice for those atheists who found themselves in proximity of a Nativity scene.

"If you pass a manger scene and someone is singing 'Joy to the World,' you can take your Walkman and stuff it into your ears," the megachurch pastor recommended. "Or you can call your lawyer. Or you can just exercise your right to leave the country."

"Planes are leaving every hour on the hour. Get on one!" Hagee exclaimed. "It's time for the majority to rule this nation!"

Okay, so I have a whole plethora of problems with this, and seeing as how I've nothing better to do being the astute person I am, have decided to critique it, both from my religious point of view, and my social point of view, because it made me angry.

1) Let's start with the obvious, if you reference a Walkman in 2013, you need a firmer grasp on reality.

2) The assertion that the phrase "Happy Holidays" is an attack on Christians, is benign nonsense in my opinion. Someone wishing me good tidings this time of year (or any time of year quite frankly) is just simply nice of them. The notion that Christians must wish everyone a 'Merry Christmas' lest they betray their religion, is nonsensical, if I met a Hassidic Jew this time of year, I'd wish them a 'Happy Hanukkah', there's no sense if wishing them a 'Merry Christmas' because they don't celebrate it, I've wished them nothing with that.

3) Now correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think any atheist is asserting that Christians, by celebrating Christmas, are worshiping Pagan gods. I believe they are claiming that the date the we celebrate Christmas is corresponds to a Pagan celebration, and that there is a case that we have the date of Christ's birth wrong. Also, don't call people "dummy" that's rather mean, Jesus wouldn't do that.

4) Now many will disagree with me here, but I don't readily admit that America was founded on Christian values. I think it is a country founded by many who were Christian, but seeing as how early America included, racism, sexism, class schisms, slavery, oppression, and was pretty much built on the corpses of native Americans, I have trouble seeing Christ in all of that.

5)"To all humanists and atheists listening to this telecast: Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness will not be in danger in any way if someone says 'Merry Christmas' around you."
And pastor, the entire concept of Christianity, the church, and the celebration of Christmas, will not be in danger in any way if someone says 'Happy Holidays' around you.

6)"Planes are leaving every hour on the hour. Get on one!" Hagee exclaimed. "It's time for the majority to rule this nation!"
You talk an awful lot about the constitution. Well shockingly enough, none of our founding fathers wanted America to be a theocracy. If you want an outright theocracy than say so, don't act like it somehow falls in line with the constitution. Also, which majority are you referring to? The majority of Christians that try to behave as Jesus would, and are loving toward their neighbor, regardless of their beliefs, and will talk to these people about God, in a calm, respectable fashion, or those like you, who belittle others beliefs, insults other people, and has an almost complete disregard for those who might not agree with you, because that pastor, is a minority.

So what do you all think, am I wrong, is this man behaving in a Christ-like fashion? Please I want to hear your opinions on the matter, thank you for reading.

Proper Noun
Group Admin

So what do you all think, am I wrong, is this man behaving in a Christ-like fashion? Please I want to hear your opinions on the matter, thank you for reading.

Um, I didn't realize this was actually a thing people debated. :rainbowhuh:

Yeah, not very nice. But for everyone that is mean, there are a lot more who are Christlike. Sadly, those who are get far less attention (case in point Westboro). :pinkiesad2:

Comment posted by Professor Plum deleted Dec 27th, 2013
Professor Plum
Group Contributor

I believe they are claiming that the date the we celebrate Christmas is corresponds to a Pagan celebration, and that there is a case that we have the date of Christ's birth wrong.

Correct. Saturnalia, to be precise.

Now many will disagree with me here, but I don't readily admit that America was founded on Christian values. I think it is a country founded by many who were Christian, but seeing as how early America included, racism, sexism, class schisms, slavery, oppression, and was pretty much built on the corpses of native Americans, I have trouble seeing Christ in all of that.

Thank you for that.

And it's worth noting that it's not quote-unquote "atheists attacking christmas", or whatever.
It's over-sensitive Political Correctness trying to make sure nobody hears a word they don't like and gets a bit sad.

But, in short:

Ezio Auditore
Group Admin

2468915 He has a whole congregation that agrees with him.

Professor Plum
Group Contributor

Remember, Fred Phelps has a congregation, so that doesn't necessarily mean much :twilightsmile:

Edit: goddamnit fimfic, two double posts in a row? :facehoof:

Comment posted by Professor Plum deleted Dec 27th, 2013
Ezio Auditore
Group Admin

I am sick of this debate and haven't bothered to watch the video, but let it be known that true diversity and true tolerance is to accept the greeting given to you with thanks.

I dream of a country where someone will greet their neighbor with either the holiday wish of that person's faith or their own and will be happily greeted the same.

I am offended by stores and individuals that say that merry christmas is offensive (but it is their right to offend me and my right to offend them)
I am happy to be wished any holiday including kwanza (sp?) and festivus and will return the greeting in kind, but am slightly irritated by the 'happy holidays' and will usually respond with a 'thank you, and merry christmas'

PS, if anyone makes a pin that says "it's okay to wish me your holiday" please send me one

Everyone always having to pick fights with eachother.

And this is the United States of America that was founded by Christians on Christian principles according to the word of God.

:trixieshiftleft: Actually, the nation was founded by a collection of Christians, deists, and the occasional humanist. Thomas Jefferson is even on record for saying something along the lines of "The surest way to eliminate freedom is to grant a priest a position of power." :trixieshiftright:

Or you can just exercise your right to leave the country. Planes are leaving every hour on the hour. Get on one!

Why do so many people think this is a good argument? :duck: "If you don't like that 'Under God' is part of the pledge, then you can just leave! :flutterrage:" I mean really, is anyone even aware how expensive that is? Honestly! :derpytongue2:

Ezio Auditore
Group Admin

2469101 My point exactly. :eeyup:

Personally, I'm surprised that whole thing actually exists.

Oh look, a corrupt megachurch leader. I'm surprised.

What a fucking boss.

Madeline L-Equine
Group Admin

Iffen yew doan like mah fellatious argyooments and blatent haytrid, yew can jess leeve yew gay atheeist communiss!
This is amurca! We havv freedum!

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 17