Sweetie Belle 1,642 members · 2,666 stories
Comments ( 11 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 11

I have an idea for a Sweetie Belle story kicking around in my head to try out after I finish my current fic. In it, I hope to have Sweetie Belle's parents play a major role. Thing is, while her dad has pretty much been confirmed as Magnum (and I think has even reached "Ascended Fanon" status going by TV Tropes) but there's no name at all for Sweetie Belle & Rarity's mother.

There is "Pearl" listed as a "Fan Nickname" (presumably after her clamshell necklace & her earrings). Is that the name most use for her or is there even one in the first place?

I know that, if need be, I can just make up a name, but I thought I'd see if there's anything official I wasn't aware of first (or sem-official within fanon)

Thank you in advance.

In Friendship is Witchcraft, she's called Mommity and Magnum is called Daddity, but I don't think that's very useful.

965032 Yeah, I've seen it used enough times that I think it works for a story.

arcum42
Group Admin

While they weren't actually named in my fic, Making Friends, I recall that I used Pearl for her name in the sequel. (which isn't published, and a bit stalled at the moment while I work on other things.)

So that's obviously what I'd go with...

Depending on the story, you could not use her name. If it's from Sweetie's perspective (even in third person), you could just refer to her as mom or whatever, and Magnum could have a nickname or pet name for her, too.

Generally speaking, whenever I want to give a name to a minor or background character, I just go with the community voted name, since that's usually what most people are familiar with. So, Pearl is what I'd use.

SuperPinkBrony12
Group Contributor

Peral seems like the general fan name. :raritywink:

Pearl's going to have a big enough role that avoiding a name altogether would be impractical. If nothing else any scenes between Sweetie Belle & Rarity's parents would get awkward unless I go the "they call themselves 'mother' and 'father'" route. First-person narration would work, actually, since the premise is a grown Sweetie Belle telling her Cutie Mark story, but first-person narration has to me a critical weakness in that you must have the narrator around for anything you wish to show 'on-screen.' With third-person that's easily enough worked around by having Sweetie Belle having asked people about what they did so she could include it in the story.

Besides, I'm going to have enough difficulty due to the fact that the plot is about Sweetie Belle overcoming her performance anxieties and I cannot stand song lyrics in literature and Sweetie Belle's a singer. Ever since Fellowship of the Ring and Tom Bombadil I just cannot get a tune in my head for them and nine times out of ten they aren't overly vital anyway. Figure for that I'll just have to up my 'show don't tell' game a bit.

Pretty much my own thoughts, barring a canon name to use. So barring some sudden revelation in canon, I'll use the names Pearl & Magnum for Sweetie Belle's folks.

You can put scenes that the 1st person narrator doesn't know in italics, although that usually only works well a couple of times as exposition (like a 10+ paragraph--or even whole chapter). Any more than that and it gets hard to follow.

True. I actually have that technique in mind for a different reason. The premise is a grown/elderly Sweetie Belle telling her Cutie Mark story and I thought of using the italics scenes as points where her audience asks her questions or otherwise interrupts. Could make for little asides and an occasional bit of humor.

ex:
"Missus Sweetie Belle, how come you know that stuff happened if you weren't there?"

"I asked." she replied, "I wanted to make sure I could tell everypony this story with every detail, so I asked my family and friends what they'd been doing at the time."

Back to main story.

Sort of like that.

Yeah, that'd work well. I was thinking of first-person where it's happening right now. For a retrospective, that can certainly work, since she could have found out later.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 11