• Published 25th Apr 2013
  • 2,684 Views, 123 Comments

Not Your Average HiE Story - Aegis Steelshield



A young man's life changes when he's brought to Equestria in a fiery Explosion

  • ...
16
 123
 2,684

3 Meeting

Applejack wished Gilda hadn't flown off yesterday. She had wanted to teach the griffon a lesson about bullies. They always get what's coming to them. She just wish she'd been there for her friend instead of... Whatever that creature was.

She did admit that crushing a rock into gravel was pretty cool, though.

As she walked through her family's orchard, she started planning her trip to the forest. 'After all, I can search it faster than anypony else,' She thought, 'I mean, their hearts are in the right place, but woodsponies, they ain't.' She reached the old clubhouse she and her brother used as kids, and checked her supplies.

She had enough for three days. With a grunt, she started trotting down the path.

* * * * *

Applebloom watched her sister from thirty feet away. She whispered to herself, "Maybe I can get my cutie mark for finding that animal... Or maybe taking care of it, or or as a woodspony!" She wondered what her cutie mark would look like as she started down the path.

* * * * *

What is it with these things and trying to follow me? You'd think after a day and half, she'd go home. I guess after saving the cream one, someone either wanted to thank me, or kill me. Fat chance of either.

Not to mention she herself was being followed.

I dashed and leapt from tree to tree, deciding long ago not to leave footprints. Even with my faster than normal healing, I was still too injured to run more than half speed. I just hope I get better soon. And that they left before they got hurt.

* * * * *

Applejack knew the area they were in. She had come here often as a filly, usually with her Pa. She knew that she'd hit a clearing soon, and she decided to make camp for the night.

'This thing's playing games with me,' the farmer thought, 'But it's okay. It has to stop to eat sometime. I just hope it don't eat me.'

She had reached the clearing. The only thing growing for 20 feet was grass, and she smiled as her eyes fell on the tower of rocks that her and her father camped by. She heard a twig snap behind her and spun ready to fight, before she saw who it was.

"Sis? I'm hungry..."

* * * * *

Sisters? Guess that rules out one being out to kill the other. I think.

They've been arguing ever since the smaller one ate, over two hours ago. The big one had a fire, partially hidden by the rock tower. Meanwhile, I was eating apples in my tree, almost a dozen feet above them. I caught a bit of their argument, but tuned the rest out.

"Why are you out here, Applebloom? What made you think this was a good idea?"

"I-I jus... just wanted my cutie... my cutie mark..." The younger one was crying so hard, she could barely speak.

I know that she was saying something about wild animals and danger, but I wasn't listening to her. I was listening for the wild animals. And danger, but mostly just the animals.

I watched them until the moon rose to it's highest point. The older sister had given up her sleeping roll for the small one. As the older one repositioned against the rocks again, I slipped closer to her for a better watchpoint.

"Beautiful night, isn't it?"

I froze.

"I know you're there. I can smell your breath. And if you were anything else, you'd be making more noise."

Under my bandages, I smiled. "So, you trying to say my breath sinks? Sticks and stones may break my bones, but talking ponies only mildly freak me out."

That's classic me. Ever the charmer.

She glared in my direction before saying, "You're real funny, you know. You show up out of nowhere, injured and almost dead, and disappear when you wake up. And then, you show up to help somepony, before vanishing again!"

The little one stirred, and she lowered her voice, "Just what game are you playing at?"

I wasn't sure whether or not she could see me form where I was crouched, but I move to the other side anyway. "That's just the way I work. I strike from shadows, to serve the light." Totally ripped off, but hey? If it works.

Her eyes shifted to where I was hiding now. "Don't give me that. You should at least get treated. Fluttershy wants to help you."

With a huff, I skulk off to the treeline, calling back to her, "You can sleep. I'll keep watch."

Author's Note:

Hmm... Who is this hero?

If any artistic readers decide to draw a cover for this, I'd be very grateful. I'm afraid that I can't pay you though. Sorry.