• Published 24th Apr 2013
  • 3,218 Views, 179 Comments

That Which was Lost - LadyRFC



Twilight has no time to adjust to becoming a princess. Not when news of an alliance between an eastern nation and changlings comes to light. Charged with investigating the matter, Twilight and her friends soon find that every tale has two sides...

  • ...
7
 179
 3,218

Stare

It was one thing to walk through an awestruck crowd at her coronation. There had been music and spotlights and more balloons than Twilight had thought existed In Equestria. Plus the crowd had been cheering. Somehow being stared at really wasn’t as bad when ponies were also cheering. It was horrible when they were quiet.
“Ah’ve seen graveyards with more cheer than this here town,” Applejack muttered under her breath.
“I did fine though,” Rarity whispered frantically, looking on her lavender train and glancing at her friends to be sure theirs were on correctly. “More than fine! They’re my best work, wh-“
“They’re wonderful, Rarity,” Twilight whispered back, cutting the unicorn’s panic attack short. “I’m sure it’s just that these people don’t get many visitors. Remember, we’re the first group to come here in around five hundred years.”
“Yeah, well,” Rainbow flew just over them and she shivered, “it’s creepy.”
Even Pinkie seemed daunted, her bounces not going quite so high and her smile looking a touch nervous. Twilight really couldn’t blame them. It was creepy. Everypony they passed by as they marched through the city stopped what they were doing, be it selling bread, gardening, or leaning forward to kiss their special somepony. They all stopped and stared and said nothing. Not a word.
Twilight cast up a glance to see Silverline and his group still flying a few feet above them. Their formation didn’t waver. Perhaps this was normal. Sighing, she looked ahead again, trying to think about anything other than the stares… The stares? Twilight looked around behind her.
“Where’s Flutter-“ Her whisper died on her lips as she saw, trailing on the left side of the group, Fluttershy. She was not shaking, not timid in stance nor even the faintest bit nervous. In fact, she was grinning as Spike expertly diverted her attention to every creature he spotted as he sat on her back.
“Look at that bird!” He pointed with one sharp claw and Fluttershy’s eyes sparkled.
“Oh, wow. I’ve never seen that one before!”
“It has a…” Spike squinted up at the bird sitting on the roof far above them, “red beak?”
“And white under its black wings!”
Twilight caught Spike’s eye for a second and she mouthed, “thank you.” He smiled and continued his observations with the shy pegasus.
Of course, the stares got worse when the dragon passed by, their elegant eyes growing wide. Twilight looked ahead and let out a breath slowly, barely keeping her hoof from rising up and moving in the horizontal movement Cadence had taught her. She focused on the buildings instead. On the deep red walls of a home, its roof recently cleaned brown thatch; on the gorgeous jade green glass wind chime handing from a store front, its soft tinkling sound soothing; on how the path she walked on contained stones that once had very intricate drawings carved into them that were now faded by the passage of time, the sides being less trod on and thus having the clearest engravings of dragons, unicorns, pegasus and all manner of birds and river fish. A very small smile began to touch her lips and she continued to focus on the sights around them, including the cliffs far above the city. It was like being at the bottom of a very large bowl. It was amazing.
“Diamonds and sapphires,” Rarity breathed in sudden awe, causing Twilight to swing her head forward again.
Before them was a large gate. Unlike the main city gate that was solid stone, this gate was made of shaped metal. Yet it still sported the same design as the stone ones did. Two lithe dragons, the bodies curved out to form a large circle as they seemed to chase one another’s tail. But their faces were not those of playmates. Their eyes had been carved into the stone deep, making them look harsh and dark. Here at the metal gates they were gems. Large red gems that seemed to glare down on them. In both cases the dragons had no wings.
“Silverline?” Twilight called as softly as she could, wondering if it was loud enough.
To her relief, the pegasus dropped down a bit, nodding for his unit to stay where they were. Although they were not too far up, Twilight wondered how he had heard her so easily. Unless he had been watching her closely. The alicorn wasn’t sure what she thought of that idea.
“Yes, Princess Twilight?”
She faced forward again, knowing others might be straining to listen. “Are the dragon… uh, their place-“
“Dragon breeding grounds?” he supplied, making the princess flinch.
“Are they near here?” she asked, eying the gate they were quickly approaching. She frowned wondering how much further they were. Every step made it taller and her entire mission that much more awkward.
He shook his head, even though she wasn’t looking up to see it. “It’s on the other side of the palace. You can’t even see it from where we are.”
“So it’s up against those there cliffs,” Applejack stated, eying the dark brown rock that rose up all around them.
Silverline nodded again, though nopony saw it, and began to land, those above him dropping down slowly.
They were nearly at the gates now and Twilight caught her first sight of the palace guards. They were unicorns with deep red flank coverings, the edges embellished with back thread weaving itself in an intricate vine design that turned into dragons and back into vines so often and delicately that it was dizzying to look at. Twilight frowned suddenly and looked up. The entire military was pegasus, so far as she knew. She looked to the sides. The ponies she saw there were earth ponies. And the palace guards were clearly unicorns. For some reason this put Twilight on edge. She felt like a piece or two was missing and she cursed herself for as yet being unable to read the book on this place’s culture.
The guards stepped forward when her group halted, Silverline and his subordinates in front. “The palace is off limits to you and your team, Silverline.”
The pegasus gave him a smothering glance and them casually looked at the gates, tracing the shapes woven into the metal as if what he was about to say was hardly important. “Even if I’m escorting royalty from Equestria?”
The guards shifted around uncomfortably, eying Twilight and her friends. She could practically feel their nervousness from where she stood.
“Very well. They shall be announced. What is her name?”
The alicorn spoke up for herself before anyone else could, stepping forward beside Silverline, head high. “My name is Twilight Sparkle. Fourth princess of Equestria, sister-in-law to Princess Cadence. I request an audience with your emperor on a matter of grave importance and national security.”