• Published 24th Apr 2013
  • 3,218 Views, 179 Comments

That Which was Lost - LadyRFC



Twilight has no time to adjust to becoming a princess. Not when news of an alliance between an eastern nation and changlings comes to light. Charged with investigating the matter, Twilight and her friends soon find that every tale has two sides...

  • ...
7
 179
 3,218

Concerning Modesty

“My name is Silverline,” the dark maned pegasus began.
“As in,” Fluttershy murmured from the side, “the silver lining in a cloud?”
Silverline tilted his head in curiosity. “I suppose a cloud might appear to have a silver ‘lining’ - as you call it - on occasion. However, my name was given to me in the hope that I would prove quick in the sky. And while I will not say I am the fastest in Sheon, I am the quickest of my platoon.”
Rainbow Dash’s eyes widened. “Platoon?”
Silverline stood straighter, his stance now clearly militaristic. “Thirteenth platoon of our great Emperor, advanced team.”
Twilight’s stomach dipped sharply. She hadn’t thought she might bump into a military unit so soon. His sleek form also threw her off considerably. Most of the ponies in Equestria’s army were more stockily built. And even with her own brother in the royal guard, Twilight struggled when talking to solders.
“Uh,” she attempted, her throat feeling dry, “n-nice to meet you, Silverline. My name is Twilight. Twilight Sparkle. I’m a representative of the Equestria royal family here on diplomatic business.”
The stallion eyed her wings and horn, coming to rest on Spike who still rode her shoulders. “You are a member of the royal family yourself, I take it.”
Twilight blushed slightly, still uncomfortable with her status. “Y-yes. Yes, I am. I’m Princess Twilight Sparkle, sister-in-law to Princess Cadence and student of Celestia.”
The stallion set his front hooves firmly on the ground before him and rocked his body backward and down in a very low and formal bow. When he righted himself, he gave a more formal greeting of his own. “My welcome to you, Princess. May your life be full of joy and your reign be prosperous.” Tilting his head again he murmured, “Celestia… I believe I have heard tell of your ruler. Though long has it been since she has seen our court.”
Twilight nodded, still embarrassed by her rank, but relieved to have the first of the formalities over. “Indeed it has. Over three hundred years, from what I know.”
Silverline bowed his head briefly before stretching out his wings, which Twilight could now see were a bit longer than the wings of other pegasus she knew, even her own. “You shall need an escort to our capitol then. I shall guide you myself, Princess.” He glanced over her and her friends and his eyes seemed to twitch slightly as if stung. “However - I beg your pardon Princess - but I ask that you cover your… fates…”
At first everypony’s face was one of confusion until Rarity nodded towards the covering on Silverline’s flank. “You mean cover our cutie marks?”
At the mention of their talents, many of her friends turned to the side and looked down at their “fates.”
Silverline blushed and turned his eyes away. “Yes, lady. Your fates are not to be shown to just anypony…”
Rainbow’s face screwed up. “Hey! What’s wrong with our cutie marks?”
Silverline continued to hide his face under his dark mane. “There is nothing wrong with them. They are special.”
“Why,” Applejack muttered in confusion, “of course they are! But why cover em?”
Twilight had been regarding their “escort” with narrowed eyes, but now a spark lit them. “I think I get it…” She said slowly, drawing everypony’s attention. “It’s not that they’re bad or anything. It’s that they’re too special. You call them ‘fates.’ That implies that not only is a pony’s talent involved in the mark, but also their… future?”
Silverline looked up at Twilight with a small smile. “Yes, Princess. That is what we believe. And one’s future is not the business of everypony. It is private.”
Twilight returned his tiny smile, once again relieved at having overcome the first cultural obstacle. She was sure, however, that it would not be the last. Turning to Rarity she asked softly, “I know we’re kinda stranded out here, but could you manage to fix up what materials we have to cover our ‘fates?’”
Rarity’s face looked concerned at first, but soon her magic was pulling out the few clothing numbers that had been brought, nearly all of them her own. “I’ll have to destroy a few outfits…” she turned kind eyes onto her friend, “but I think I can manage.” Turing to the others she commanded, “Applejack? Rainbow Dash? You two shall model for me. Come.”
Rainbow immediately flew out of reach. “What?! Why do I have to that?”
Rarity blinked, unimpressed. “Because I need to have a model with wings and Twilight shall be busy talking to the young gentleman over there.”
“Why can’t Fluttershy do it?” the blue pegasus asked in desperation.
Rarity rolled her eyes as if the question was too simplistic to deserve an answer. “Because she has to help me with the sewing. I’ll be doing it all by hoof since I don’t have a machine. Unless,” she gave Rainbow a dark smile, “you wish to try your hoof at stitching?”
Rainbow slowly sank back down to the ground. “No,” she sighed.
“Oh, oh, oh! What about me?!” Pinkie asked, bouncing up and down.
Rarity’s magic levitated a large umbrella over towards the energetic pony. “You must make sure Twilight stays in the shade, dear. She needs rest away from the sun.”
Pinkie grabbed the umbrella in her mouth and happily jumped onto the side of the wagon, not tipping it in the slightest, a gift of hers Twilight always wondered about.
With the shade now cooling her tired wings and shielding her eyes, Twilight gave a soft thank you to her friend and turned her attention onto Silverline once more. She found that the stallion was once again glancing curiously at Spike.
“Oh, I’m sorry,” she spoke, “I didn’t really introduce everypony, did I?” She went through the names of her dear friends, indicating which with a nod of her head. “And this,” she moved her shoulders slightly, bumping up the creature on her back, “is Spike.”
“He’s a dragon,” Silverline observed bluntly. Recalling his position he hastily added, “your highness.”
“You don’t have to use special titles out here,” Twilight corrected with another blush. She then gave Spike a smile. “And, yes, he is.” She looked over at Silverline. “I know dragons are rare and often terrifying creatures, but Spike is quite different. He’s intelligent, brave and the best assistant a pony could ask for.” She exchanged proud smiles with Spike.
Silverline tilted his head. “Fear not, Princess. I have no worries over your dragon. I know him to be tame.”
Twilight felt Spike stiffen, her own eyes shooting towards the stallion. “Wait… how do you know that?”
Blinking slowly he replied, “Because he has no wings.”