• Published 21st Apr 2013
  • 3,748 Views, 59 Comments

Of Changelings and Alicorns - kyttypony



Ever wondered why changelings have both horns and wings, just like alicorns?

  • ...
2
 59
 3,748

Changelings

Of Changelings and Alicorns
by kyttypony

Chapter One: Changelings

Twilight, Celestia, and Luna were having a discussion. It was about taxes, so it was certainly pretty boring. But since Twilight had had some ideas that might make the system more efficient, they were all making an effort to stay awake and try to discuss her plan.

"So I was thinking, if we -" Twilight was interrupted by the door slamming open.

"Princesses! Princesses!" A guard raced in, panting slightly from his dash through the halls.

"What?" Twilight asked.

"Changelings! Queen Chrysalis and the Changelings are right outside Canterlot!"

"What?!" Twilight shouted. Hadn't they defeated the Changelings the last time they came? Why were they coming back? Were they trying to invade again?

Luna, in contrast, was perfectly calm. Of course she was, she hadn't been there at the wedding...She turned to the guard. "Yes? What are they doing?"

The guard coughed. "They're...the changelings are...they're just, um, waiting...politely...outside the city...But...But the citizens are terrified! Also, they're Changelings! CHANGELINGS!"

Celestia smiled at the guard. "Let them know that we will come to meet them very soon."

Eyes wide, the pegasus nodded. He turned and raced away to give his message to the Changelings.

"WHAT?!" Twilight couldn't believe it. Celestia was treating what was probably another invasion like it was nothing! The Changelings were probably being polite as some sort of trick! "Why did you - do you - why?! What?!"

Celestia chuckled. "I believe there are some things that you have yet to learn about Alicorns, Twilight." Glancing at Luna, she grinned knowingly.

"...like what?"

"I think it would be better to show you rather than tell you, especially since a demonstration will be so soon." Celestia stood up. "Twilight, Luna and I are going to go meet the Changelings now. I would appreciate it if you would come, but if you don't want to, that's fine."

Twilight nodded fervently. "Of course!" If the Changelings had anything to do with the thing about Alicorns that she didn't know, she wanted to know.

Celestia grinned. "Excellent!"

As the three trotted down the hallways and through the city, Twilight couldn't help asking Celestia about what she had said. Several times. Well...maybe a bit more than several.

"Celestia?"

"Yes, Twilight?"

"What do I not know about Alicorns?"

"For the fiftieth time, Twilight, couldst thou just be patient and wait to see it thyself?!" Luna exclaimed in frustration.

"...Okay, fine..."

"Ah, here we are."

Celestia, Luna and Twilight were at the front gate. Just outside Canterlot were at least two thousand Changelings. Each one's chitin, as opposed to their normal gleaming black, was now a pale grey, slightly yellow hue that definitely did not shine in the sunlight piercing through the clouds. They didn't seem very comfortable with the physical reminder of their invasion and defeat looming directly in front of them - either that, or they were uncomfortable in their own skin. Standing at their front was Queen Chrysalis, chitin as pale as the rest, who was fidgeting nervously.

Eyes widening, Twilight gasped. "That's a lot of Changelings!"

"Yes, it is,” Celestia agreed, taking in the bustling sea of pale insectoids before them. “When they invaded, only Queen Chrysalis and the soldiers came. However, these are all of the Changelings from their hive."

Twilight continued to gape at the overwhelming crowd, her jaw slackened in awe. "Why are they all here?"

With a beneficent smile and a wave of her wing, Celestia gestured across the field, causing the changelings to grow quiet and their queen at the forefront to stand a little straighter, as if coming to attention before a superior military officer. “Do you see how their carapaces are pale instead of black as they were when they invaded?”

"The Changelings invaded?" Luna interjected with a frown.

Celestia opened her mouth, at a loss for words for a moment. "Oh, right. It happened during Cadance's wedding; you were indisposed at the time." She giggled self-consciously. “I guess we never did get around to telling you. Sorry, sister. They only did it because they weren’t ready, you know, like we did. Now that they look like this, I know they are ready, and they shouldn’t do it again.”

Twilight rolled her eyes in exasperation. “I still don't understand. Ready for what?!”

"You will understand, Twilight. Don't worry," Celestia chuckled, stepping through the front gate to an ashamed-looking Queen Chrysalis.

"Chrysalis?"

"I'm sorry! I was impatient, I wanted it to happen now, I didn't want to wait...Please don't not let us change because you're mad at us!"

Celestia smiled warmly. "Don't worry. I understand."

"You do?" Not believing what she was hearing, Chrysalis stared hopefully at Celestia.

Luna grinned. "Of course! Did you think I have never done something like that? I remember when Celestia and I weren't quite ready yet...I think it's happened to every one of us."

"What are you talking about?" Twilight was completely confused.

"Well, except for Twilight here. She was an unusual case," Celestia added.

"What?"

Chrysalis frowned. "Wasn't she the one who ruined my wedding? I really don't remember her having wings."

"YOUR wedding?!"

Celestia chuckled. "You're right. Actually, she used to be a unicorn."

"How did she...Is that even possible?" Chrysalis asked, surprised.

"Could you guys stop talking about me like I'm not here?"

"Like I said," Celestia replied, "Twilight was a special case. But she isn't the reason you and your hive have come to Canterlot, is she?"

"No, she isn't. Can we get to the caverns now?"

"You mean the place where you trapped me?" Twilight asked.

"Of course. We should take the outside entrance - I'm sure we've shocked the citizens enough as it is without having their former invaders actually going into the city."

Celestia strode to a particular large bush and lifted it with her magic to reveal a hidden trapdoor. She motioned to Chrysalis, who hesitantly walked over and placed her hole-filled hoof in a circular indentation near the door. In response to her action, it swung open, and her eyes lit up in excitement.

"All Changelings in here!" Luna called.

Celestia, Luna, and Twilight got out of the way of the Changelings, including Chrysalis, who were stampeding into the now-open trapdoor. Luna chuckled. "So impatient..."

Twilight stamped a hoof in frustration. "What is going on?!"

Celestia smiled. "You'll see. Soon. Follow me!" Striding down the stone stairs, she led the way down through the secret entrance, Luna and Twilight trailing behind her.

"Luna? Can you tell me what's going on?"

Luna giggled. "Nope, sorry!"

"Aargh!"

Author's Note:

Twilight wants some answers.