• Published 19th Apr 2013
  • 637 Views, 18 Comments

The Coming of Tam O' Canter and Heather Bloom O' Red Hoof to Ponyville - De Writer



Two strange unicorns, one clearly related to Changelings, show up in Ponyville. Tam is seeking a place to heal from the loss of his Annie. For Heather Bloom, it is a homecoming of sorts

  • ...
 18
 637

Chapter 3. Heather Bloom and Tam

Chapter 3: Heather Bloom and Tam

Twilight Sparkle nodded thoughtfully, her horn bobbing. Pinkie Pie bounced happily, exclaiming, “The mare that isn't a mare! I think that's her!”

Applejack put a hoof on top of Pinkie's head to hold her down and observed, “Why doesn't the Changeling bother you?”

Pinkie pulled free and retorted, “Because my party sense is screaming PARTY TIME! It wouldn't do that for somepony bad!”

To the surprise of the rest of the Mane Six, Twilight agreed. “I think that these are the ponies that Princess Celestia wrote to us about. I have to wonder how they are making that noise? It doesn't seem to stop for anything.”

At that moment, the Changeling-like pony on the left hill top made a gesture, tossing her horn in an arc. The other pony bobbed his head and the noise wailed down into silence. The two stood proud on the peaks of the hill and waited, horns raised to the sky.

Twilight led the Mane Six out of the town and past Sweet Apple Acres. The road became a little used path that would, if followed, wind around the base of the hill, past the bog at its foot, and lead into the Everfree Forest, ending at Zecora's home.

Applejack pointed out, “We've gone to the hill before for picnics because it has a great view from the top. There is a dry path up just past that funny, bent tree there.”

Twilight just asked, “Would you lead the way then, Applejack? You know the route.”

Ever impatient, Rainbow Dash took to the air, flying low and fast. She circled the hill at a little distance and landed in the way of the others, hooves firmly planted in the sod, wings spread forbiddingly. She pronounced with a glare, “They have huge swords strapped to their left sides! That isn't all! They are wearing armor! They have chanfron helmets, jointed plate down their necks and backs, breast plates, chain mail and steel shins front and back! Tell me that they are here in peace!”

What Rainbow said made something click in Twilight's nearly perfect memory. Smiling, she said, “They are here in peace. Their weapons aren't drawn and they are making no threatening gesture. They must be all the way from the Far Northern Dales, clear outside of the Twin's rule.”

Rainbow Dash demanded, “How do you know that?”

As the others looked curiously on, Twilight replied, “That old book that I was just reading. Tosumdun wrote that the ponies of the Northern Dales and Glens go armed everywhere. They don't fight or rob each other because they are always ready for a battle.

“This will make a perfect meeting because they have their weapons and we have the Elements of Harmony. They won't attack us and we won't attack them.”

Rainbow Dash's brow furrowed in thought and she said, “That sounds like a lot of bullies getting along because no pony wants to start a fight that they will lose.”

Twilight nodded her horn thoughtfully and replied, “According to Tosumdun that is how it works. Let's go see. If we need it we can use our power and if we don't, we will simply welcome them in Celestia and Luna's name.”

Rainbow Dash finally agreed and stood aside. The Mane Six trooped up the hill, stopping a short distance from the big mare in her fantastical armor.

Up close, Rarity almost could not contain herself. The mare's armor was gorgeously covered in complex enameled designs, brilliantly done etch work, and repoussé. It was also very clearly functional if battle were needed. The Hilt of her huge sword had guards that swept toward the blade in a wide shallow V. Each arm ended in a cloverleaf pattern of steel and there was a tongue that fitted over the outside of the scabbard. Every part of the mare's gear was carefully and beautifully done in complex knot like patterns. Even the leather of her stout pack bags was tooled and stained to make it as lovely as it was functional.

On the other peak of the hill, the stallion unicorn stood proud and patient. His gear had the beauty of pure function. Such decoration as there was, fluting of the metal or rope-like edges all served the double function of strengthening the metal and making it beautiful. His armor had also seen serious use before. It had many places that had been repaired skillfully, though to an eye like Rarity's, trained to see patterns, they showed plainly.

The stallion's big sword hilt echoed the basic form of the mare's. It was done in the same smoothly functional style as his armor. Light caught in glowing pools from a few cabochon gems of garnet and smoky topaz adorning the center of the guard and the sides of the pommel. The handle was snugly wound with tightly twisted wires.

Rarity whispered to Twilight, “I do hope that you are right about their customs, Twilight. These two have fought some very serious battles and not all that long ago. I can see where his armor has been repaired and the work is much newer than the rest of the armor.”

The mare spoke up unexpectedly. In spite of the impressive fangs in her mouth, her voice was gentle and carrying. “I think ye means that our custom be to announce ourselves at the furthest reach of yer land. There to show to all that if it be a failing that ye seek of us, then we are ready. Yet it is not OUR weapons that be drawn, nor a failing do we seek. It is the peace of honorable and worthy ponies that we be a seeking.

“Though they be not the blades of honorable failing that you carry, I do see that you too have come to meet us armed. Unless I mistake me, ye carry with ye the Elements of Harmony which have been proved of battle before this. Truth?”

Twilight bobbed her head in agreement. “You are correct. You recently stayed with our Princesses Celestia and Luna in Canterlot. She sent us a letter advising us that you might come this way and that your ways might be strange to us.

“As usual, the Princess was right. I have been testing you with my unicorn magic, and I can feel the presence of the Princesses on both of you.” She paused thoughtfully and then added, “Thank you for allowing me to test you that way. One of the things that I found from that test is that you are far more powerful in magic than shows on the surface.”

The stallion spoke from his small peak close by, and said, “It is we, my Heart's Keeper, Heather Bloom O' Red Hoof and myself, Tam O' Canter, that should be thanking ye, Twilight Sparkle. Yer Princesses did speak most well of ye and yer mighty friends. Having for yerselves a great strength, the first thing that ye done was see to its not being of need.”

Fluttershy looked down diffidently and said softly, “M - - M - - Mighty? Us? Why would you say that? I mean, uh, sorry for interrupting.”

The stallion, Tam O' Canter, grinned and replied, “Fluttershy, I presume? The answer to yer question should be by another. How then should the weak and helpless defeat such foes as the Dragon o' Discord? The answer be obvious. It is mighty indeed that ye are.” He turned to the Changeling like mare and said, “Did the Princesses not describe them all perfectly, Heather Bloom, Keeper of my Heart?”

The mare, Heather Bloom, agreed, “Indeed, that she did, Tam.”

Turning back to the Six, she asked, “Knowin' then that, though we be worthy if we need be foes, it be friendship that we seek. May we then come into yer lands, and that it be done in peaceful wise?”

Without pausing to think, because she had already made up her mind, Twilight, said, “We would be honored. I will let you stay at the Library with me while you stay here in Ponyville. Please come with us.

“May I ask what your business here in Ponyville is?”

Tam had crossed the space between them and laid his horn affectionately across Heather Bloom's as he said, “It is settlin' here that we seek. Tis the ancestral seat o' Red Hoof that used to be near to here. If the place be open to the buying, that be where we should like to put our home.”

Heather Bloom added, “We also seek a place that is as far as may be from the field o' the failing where Tam's Annie fell. And as far also from the company o' the fool whose pride caused it all. It is my dearest wish that there be a place where Tam's heart can heal of the wound that it took when the failing took his Annie down.

“Further, as Tam did say, the place that I was foaled is here. I would have at last the peace with the descendants of them as took it from us.” She shook her great head, the crooked horn bobbing in sorrow, light striking beautifully off the jewel-like enamel of her chanfron, and tears rolled from her eyes.