• Published 17th Apr 2013
  • 1,011 Views, 49 Comments

The Judgment - Gabriel LaVedier



Not every mode of ease is easy to choose.

  • ...
7
 49
 1,011

The Facts of the Matter

“Thanks for coming girls. I know this was very short notice but I... well, it was important.” Twilight Sparkle stood by the door to the library as her friends entered. Rainbow Dash, Applejack, Rarity and Fluttershy filed past in various states of confusion. Pinkie Pie was already there, setting out baked goods and hot cocoa.

“It was very unusual, but a lady is always prepared for eventualities,” Rarity said with a casual flip of her mane. She looked around for a moment and then said, “Twilight, where has our little Spike gone? It's a bit late for him to be out. Oh my, has he located a mare to take him around?”

Twilight laughed softly, a little of her tension dissolving. “No. I gave him a little free time. I sent him up to Canterlot with some petty cash and a list of nice places to go. Mostly he'll be settled in a high fourth terrace bed and breakfast feeling very mature because he's not just hanging around the palace. He'll probably wander around and stare at mares then head up to eat at Joe et Gustave's.”

“Oh how pleasant. It'll be good for him to relax for a few days,” Fluttershy said, standing demurely beside Rarity.

“Yea, never mind that, why did you call us here?” Rainbow Dash was already sitting at the main table with a cup of cocoa and a cupcake.

Applejack gave Dash a quick whip with her tail and a scowl. “Rainbow Dash, have some manners! You are a guest in this house...”

“It's a library, not a house, AJ,” Dash said, with a cheeky grin.

“It is also Twilight's house, and part time house for Pinkie, not that ah'm sayin' anything about that,” AJ said, with a light blush. “But keep a civil tongue in yer head and thank Twilight fer invitin' us before ya go blabbing about demandin' answers.”

“Sorry, AJ,” Dash said, looking contrite. “Thanks for having us over, Twilight. Now why did you invite us over here?”

Applejack gave and exasperated sigh and hugged Dash tightly. “Dang it's a good thing yer cute, sugarcube.”

“Everypony have a seat around here and get some snacks and cocoa,” Pinkie said, taking up her own glass and treat, a cupcake in Twilight's colors. “Twilight told me about this and it's really a doozy.”

The mares all gathered around the table and sat down, taking a steaming cup and a sweet treat. Twilight looked around at all of them and licked her dry lips. She hadn't been so nervous since she had abdicated her alicornhood. “I just heard news from Princess Celestia. There is something... new. Something scientific.”

“Leave it to the egghead,” Dash muttered into her cocoa. A tail flick from AJ made her look over with a grin, “Chillax, I mean it as a compliment.”

“It is... being kept very quiet. There are some very good reasons for that. First of all, the research has been halted before anything big came out of it, mostly for standard reviews of everything that has happened so far. Secondly, the implications of it would be quite... far-reaching. And it opens up a lot of new possibilities. More than for anypony else... for us.”

“Well don't jes keep us waitin', tell us what the big fuss is,” Applejack said, sipping on her cocoa and eating an apple fritter.

“Yes, yes. This mystery is most unbecoming,” Rarity concurred.

Twilight tapped nervously at the table, looking over the other five. “They have begun an effective program to take unfertilized ova from two mares and, using a thaumatomedical procedure similar to the natural process in parthenogenic creatures, combine them.”

A sea of blank stares met her. “That sounds... nice,” Fluttershy said, with an encouraging smile that nonetheless spoke of not understanding.

“Yea, sugarcube, that sounds like a ring-tailed tooter of a thing. Good for them there science folks in Canterlot,” Applejack added, toasting Twilight awkwardly.

“'Parthenogenesis' literally means virgin birth. In a scientific sense it refers to giving birth without... sexual intercourse...” Twilight blushed a bit, as did Fluttershy. Rarity hid a smile behind a hoof, while Applejack, Dash and Pinkie Pie just grinned. “It is a kind of asexual reproduction, but... far more complex. I barely studied it myself, it's pure biology without much in the way of magical interference. It's found in some simple creatures, some insects, a few sharks, and a small number of lizards, including a rather well-studied desert lizard that has what can be called Filly Foolers, in a sense. So... scientists are working on... combining eggs. With science and magic. And making... children.”

A silence descended on four of the mares. Pinkie was lightly humming to herself as she enjoyed her cupcake. She had already heard the news, after all. Surprisingly, Dash was the first one to speak. “Children? You mean... they can make foals... from two mares?”

“The research suggest it is possible,” Twilight said. “The processes in natural parthenogenesis are complex; using magic to replicate them involves a lot of experimentation, and needs to be carefully managed to prevent any defects or other similar. But... they are on track.”

Applejack, after coming out of her shock, asked, “So... if they ain't got it done... why are ya tellin' us about it? Jes get the word yerself an' y'all wanted ta share?”

“Because... I was looking into the scientific journals, just as light reading, and I started thinking about the future... about me and Pinkie. Pinkie only has sisters, and my brother is no longer technically a citizen of Equestria. The laws of the Imperium are similar but there is no agreement about cross-border matters, especially with a member of royalty. Donation is always an option, it was always going to be the option. And then I talked about the research papers with Princess Celestia... she said there was something else. She and Luna have a power that can take eggs and magical essence and... with their powers over orderliness make two foals, one of each race of the mothers.”

The silence returned, broken by Fluttershy who asked, “Have they done it a lot?”

“Not a lot. But they have. Usually as some kind of secret reward for some great service. We have earned it. Or we could wait for this new technology. The question is complicated. Don't you see how this could change the world?” Twilight asked, looking seriously at the five. “No need for donation unless it is desired. The laws would be rendered obsolete. But on the other side, males would become less common, except for species with more even percentages.”

“I can only imagine. Fewer males, a less diverse client list, fewer partners for pure Populators... perhaps even more negativity towards Colt Cuddlers! Scandalous!” Rarity gasped, summoning her fainting couch. As a more dramatic touch she grabbed Fluttershy, falling onto the couch with her.

“There is something that could be done. There is a way to select spermatozoa to get a Y-chromosome-containing one. The male population could be increased to offset the female population climb. Or biological magic could be advanced to temporarily change mares into stallions. Another thing the princesses can do, to allow dams to be sires for each other. The options aren't important. What matters is that we, unlike the rest of the nation, have these options. And the princesses want to know if that's okay,” Twilight said, slowly taking a seat.

“What's wrong with it?” Dash asked, casually shrugging her shoulders. “It's not like we're going to ruin the world or anything. We're responsible and stuff.” She ate her treats, ignoring the fall of crumbs all over.

“Things will change, they always have. But there are two things to think about. First, if this kind of progress is good or should be quietly set aside and ignored. And secondly, maybe more importantly, if we should accept these options. We're not exactly hidden. It might be very apparent what has happened. Sure, we're just engaged, not married yet, but we will be. And after marriage comes birth. Would doing this be... wrong? It's not traditional, and might get too many questions or even make others think we're better than them. Would it be arrogant?” Twilight nibbled on her cupcake and stared deeply into her cup of cocoa.

Soft chatter passed between the others, mostly of a confused tone. “Uh, Twi? If'n it is 'r ain't... don't got nothing ta do with us needin' ta gather. Jes one-a them there 'academic' questions ah hear mah brother's fiancee talk about, usually with Zecora. Ah swear them two get on like apples an' carrots. They're gonna bring a powerful lotta learnin' ta the family,” Applejack mused. She noted a glare drilling into the side of her head and gave a sheepish chuckle, “Not that ya ain't bringin' that too, sugarcube, but ya bring more... uh, radicalness! Ah think that's what ya say.”

Dash leaned in and kissed Applejack on the cheek. “And awesomeness and coolness. And my big ol' brain too. Yea, I feel sorry for Smarty Pants and Zecora. I bring the whole package.”

“Yea, ya bring a whole lotta stuff, Dash,” Applejack said with a playful eyeroll.

“We're very important, and what we do matters more than most ponies. There's a lot riding on this. Does the impression outweigh it. Does it even matter at all? The old ways have worked fine. There's no shame in it. Princess Celestia actually asked me to ask you all this. To think about it. And vote on it. We'll go off and think, mark down a decision and then see,” Twilight levitated out six identical pieces of paper, distributing them evenly. She then passed out six stamp pads and twelve stamps. “Identical paper, ink colors and stamps. One says 'aye,' one says 'nay.' It has to be unanimous, and anonymous. If we do this... we're breaking a lot of traditions, and might spark curiosity for something... I don't even know what to think of it all. But for right now, this is just for and about us.”

Once the materials were distributed all six mares moved on to different parts of the library, soundproofing fields going up to leave them alone with their thoughts.