• Published 17th Apr 2013
  • 3,490 Views, 142 Comments

Chasing Winter - Raging Mouse



The Great and Powerful Trixie joins an expedition to outside the borders of Equestria, in order to escape trouble at home.

  • ...
4
 142
 3,490

Trixie Discovers the Element of Badass

Chapter Twelve:

Trixie Discovers the Element of Badass

Travelling through pitch black, only able to hear your heart beating, was scary, though not as scary as emerging into bright moonlight and hearing the rumbling of the glacier and seeing the cracks racing outwards from the center of Frostmirror. Trixie yelled at a paralyzed Princess Electrum to run and, when the princess failed to move, proceeded to shove her along. She remembered the changeling egg at the last moment, yanking it to her with her magic.

When they were running at a good pace Trixie risked glancing over her shoulder. Behind them the surface of Frostmirror was buckling. Great spouts of icy blue dust and green fire jetted from the merging cracks. A great, deep boom sounded, arriving at Trixie’s ears more through her hooves than through the air and as she glanced back again she saw much of Frostmirror’s surface collapse downwards. She turned her head and screamed at Electrum to run faster, which was why she wasn’t aware of the following explosion before the shockwave threw her into the air.

She tumbled half a revolution head over hooves and for a split second, prolonged by adrenaline into something much longer in her mind, she was staring back, upside down, towards the center of Frostmirror. An enormous pillar of blue and green fire stabbed into the sky, hurling house-sized chunks of glacier ice into the air. Then time rushed back and she hit the ice with her back, sending her rolling and spinning along its surface. Ice crystals got in her eyes, robbing her of sight, but nothing blocked out the tremendous roaring coming from behind her. She slid to a stop but was much too dazed to move and she didn’t understand what her senses were telling her so she lay still for a while, feeling shocks through the ice as large pieces of ice impacted nearby and listening to their crunch. Somewhere not that far off she heard Electrum cry and her sluggish thoughts conceded it was good to know the princess was still alive.

The glacier settled down gradually, the cracking and crashing sounds making way for the ice groaning and squealing as it resettled. Trixie raised her head only when she heard the distinctive hoot of a windigo. Her ears flicked about, triangulating the sound. She looked back to where Frostmirror had been.

All that remained of the previously so smooth surface of ice was a little rim around a large pit. Tens of windigos were exiting the pit, weaving their way sinuously through the air and ascending into the sky around a small, blue beam of vertical light. Trixie was unsure if the light shone up or down but it came to a glaringly bright point far above her head. The windigos were all converging on it in an almost leisurely pace. One by one they flew into the light and disappeared.

The last windigo entered the light. A few heartbeats later the blue pillar winked out without a sound. The night became calm again. Trixie rose cautiously to her hooves and looked around. Electrum was not that far away, still lying on the ice. The egg was nearby as well. Then Trixie noticed that the ever-present whisper of a trillion ice crystals colliding with each other was gone. She looked around and saw that the wind was dying and the mist it had kept stirring was settling down. A tiny dot of yellow shone against the background of mountains far away, and Trixie felt joy when she realised it had to be Pinewood Tower. She laughed, reared onto her back legs and fired up her horn with one of the most familiar spells in her arsenal, giving it a great deal more power than she’d used in ages.

A bright point of light shot into the air. Trixie counted fifteen heartbeats before there was a flash followed by a great boom... and a loud fanfare. She couldn’t read it from where she was standing but she knew the sky now spelled “The Great and Powerful Trixie has arrived!” in letters that dwarfed three-storey houses. All that showed from where she was standing was the ice reflecting the reds and blues of the giant, floating text. Trixie laughed. “That’s an emergency beacon worthy of the Great and Powerful Trrrrrrixie!” She danced a little jig before cantering over to Electrum.

The princess had roused herself upon hearing Trixie’s fireworks and was switching back and forth between looking at her and the text in the sky. As Trixie drew close Electrum chuckled weakly, then winced and stood shakily. “You certainly seem to be in a better mood, Trixie.”

“Let’s just say Trixie has got one hoof over the edge of her grave and is preparing to pull herself back into the land of the living. Are you unhurt?”

Electrum looked herself over and flexed her legs. “I’m sore and bruised but otherwise fine.” Then she shivered. “And cold.”

“Ah... right.” Trixie looked down at her own magically grown, impossibly thick and long fur and then back at Electrum’s well-groomed, properly cut and woefully inadequate coat. The princess was already shivering. Trixie set her jaw and nodded once before untying her cape and levitating it over to the princess. “We shall walk to keep your body temperature up. While we do that Trixie will try to teach you a simple spell that keeps a pony warm. Between the two of us we should be able to manage the trip to Pinewood Tower even if nopony comes to meet us. Come on!”

******

The moon descended towards the horizon as they walked. Trixie set about instructing Electrum in the basic arts of magic with a gusto she couldn’t quite explain. The princes had received tutelage in spellcasting, from none other than Clover the Clever, but that was in another lifetime and with another body, both only fading memories. It did meant she was rediscovering things rather than learning them for the first time, and only a couple hours later her horn glowed faintly golden as her shivering ceased.

Trixie grinned triumphantly. “A fine success, aided by Trixie! Well done, Princess!”

Electrum smiled bashfully as she enjoyed the warmth coursing through her body. “I think we can drop the title, Trixie. I’m not exactly a princess of anything anymore, am I?”

“Ah, but that’s where you are wrong.” Trixie grinned. “You are the rightful and true regent of Unicornia, are you not? Is not a third of the Old Kingdoms yours by heritage?”

This was met with an indifferent shrug. “So what? What good is owning a bunch of ice going to be?”

Trixie chuckled. “You probably don’t realise it but Trixie is warm almost to the point of sweating right now, and we’re hardly walking very fast. The temperature is rising even now, in the middle of the night. The windigos went away, Princess! The ice will melt and the land will thaw!”

Princess Electrum inhaled sharply and her eyes bugged out, but then she deflated. “No, wait. That’s still going to take a very long time, probably decades, and we’ll be left with a lake.”

“Between the pegasi controlling the weather and the earth ponies digging trenches for the meltwater, Trixie thinks the process can likely be sped up. It’s just a matter of getting it organised. The Princesses are very likely to help.”

Electrum’s face saddened. “Thanks for your optimism, Trixie, but I don’t think it’ll be that easy. Even if I somehow got to see them, how would I convince them? They won’t even understand me, so you would have to be there and interpret.”

“Don’t underestimate our princesses, Electrum. Trixie would wager a lot of bits on them not only being able to understand you, but also speaking old ‘cornish fluently.”

Electrum laughed. “You make them sound so perfect and godlike!”

Trixie glanced at her and grinned. “Oh they are far from perfect. The Humble and Patient Trixie still hasn’t been invited to perform at the castle, for one! But Trixie must admit, one has to be a very special pony indeed to rise to their ranks...”

A moment of silence descended, during which Electrum looked at Trixie with a rising air of impatience.

“Trixie, you can’t just say something like that and then let it be! I want to hear more about your princesses!”

Trixie’s laughter was bright and free. “Trixie confesses she’s not being totally honest, but please trust Trixie on this: you wouldn’t believe me if I told you. You have to see them for yourself! I just don’t want to spoil it for you!”

Electrum smiled and rolled her eyes. Then she shivered. A quick check by concentrating revealed that the warmth spell had run out. She reapplied it, and though it already came to her easier and less wastefully than the first time she still felt her magic reserves dwindle alarmingly fast. She didn’t want to dwell on what that could mean, especially if it turned out Trixie wasn’t quite as powerful as she boasted. So instead she turned to happier thoughts.

“So, have you met any of my descendants? The original me, I mean. I know I left with Clover eventually.”

Trixie nearly tripped over her own hooves. When she sorted her legs out she proceeded as if nothing had happened, answering Electrum without looking at her with a high, breathless voice. “No, Trixie can’t say she’s ever met anypony claiming to be descended from you.”

“Oh? That’s odd. I’d expect there to be a noble house, at least.”

The showmare was still avoiding Electrum’s gaze and her answer was strangely delayed. “W-well, I don’t really socialise with nobility. Yeah, that’s right. I must admit I don’t really like them a whole lot. Present company excluded, of course.”

“Well, what noble houses do you know of? Any at all that trace their ancestry back to the Old Kingdoms? And what of Clover the Clever? Maybe she—"

Trixie slowed down until she was only plodding sluggishly along. She hung her head. “All right, all right. I’ll tell you. I just... I don’t know. I didn’t want to tell you, I guess.” She took a deep breath. “I know many stories about Princess Electrum and Clover the Clever, the unicorns who oversaw the Exodus. History has twisted many details. For example, a very popular holiday tale says that it was your mother, not you, who travelled to the founding of Equestria. In other tales the two of you are lovers.”

There was a pause as Electrum laughed. “Really?!”

A wince marred Trixie’s face. “Yes. Well, you’ll understand why in a moment. You see, historical records and the old tales agree on one thing. You and Clover went back to Unicornia, to gather up the last of the unicorns and, I suppose, to convince your mother to join the Exodus with you. Records and stories show that Clover the Clever led the last unicorns to Equestria, but... you disappeared somewhere along the way. Clover sent out search parties to look for you but even though the cold was only just getting started there had never been much hope of finding you. There is a grave... but it has never held any remains. I’m sorry.”

There was a long pause. When Trixie dared glance back she saw that Electrum was crying gently and silently. The princess’ eyes met Trixie’s for a split second before looking away. “And... Clover?”

“She lived to a ripe old age as first Chancellor of the Republic of Equestria. She never married nor foaled.”

“R... republic? But you have princesses now. What happened?”

Trixie sighed. “That’s a long story, but Trixie shall tell it. The Republic grew and flourished for three hundred years. Then, one summer, word came from the west that the ocean had turned into syrup and the kelp into threads of liquorice. Ponies at the capital didn’t believe the reports but it would later turn out to be the first portent of Discord...”

******

The sun rose, blinding Electrum for a long while. “I may remember the sun but this body of mine has never set its eyes on anything stronger than a globe of magelight.” Trixie led her on with her voice and directions, easily keeping track of where Electrum was now that the mist had settled completely. The two ponies kicked up a fine dust of ice crystals with every step.

Electrum’s magic had reached its limits so Trixie cast the warming spell on her when asked to. The princess was beginning to nod off and stumble every once in a while. Trixie also felt the strain but they couldn’t stop while out in the open. The egg was warm, thankfully, but it was inadequate as a source of heat. Trixie had considered letting Electrum sleep curled up in her embrace and thicker coat but she couldn’t determine how effective that was and didn’t want to commit to it unless forced to.

There was another factor as well. Trixie was sweating profusely under the sun’s glare and her thick coat held stubbornly on to the moisture. She felt disgusting and was going crazy, stopping every once in a while to roll around in one of the drifts of ice.

Electrum spotted the approaching wagon during one of these pauses.

“Trixie! There’s a wagon coming!”

Trixie scrambled to her hooves and peered in the direction of the tower. She spotted the approaching vehicle easily and smiled at Electrum.

“We’re alive! We made it, Electrum! We’re safe!” Trixie hooted with joy and capered around the princess, who was smiling broadly as her shoulders sagged from weariness. Trixie reared her forelegs and waved frantically at the wagon while shouting at it. “Here! We’re over here!” Then she realised she’d been shouting in old ‘cornish and switched to modern Equestrian. “Over here! We’re over here!”

Electrum’s smile faded somewhat as she sat down on her haunches, cradling the egg. “Trixie, thank you. Thank you for helping me. Thank you just for, um, dropping in. For existing. Thank you.”

Trixie calmed down somewhat and walked over to Electrum to give her a hug. “You’re welcome, Princess.”

“Please. Call me Ellie.”

Trixie pulled back out of the hug so she could look the princess in the eye. She could hear the wagon now, the whisper of its skis on the ice and the thud of heavy hooves. “Ellie, everything will be fine. You’ll see. House Lulamoon would be delighted to offer you a place to stay. We’ll visit the Princesses and you’ll present your claim. Then your future is wide open. I, The Great and Powerful Trixie, promise you this.”

Electrum simply smiled as tears ran down her cheeks. Then she hugged Trixie fiercely. The wagon halted nearby and Trixie glanced over at it.

That was when she noticed there were no ponies pulling it.

Warning bells immediately sounded their alarm in Trixie’s head. She quickly shook off Electrum’s hug and rose to her hooves. Just as she was about to crouch down and peer under the wagon two huge minotaurs stepped out from behind it. They each carried a crossbow that in pony hooves would have been called ballistas. The crossbows were loaded, the bolts’ steel points razor sharp and covered with wicked barbs. Both had trained their weapons on Trixie who had frozen in place, partly from the shock and partly from fear.

Then High Life, accompanied by another pony, stepped out from behind the wagon. He grinned victoriously at Trixie.

“Well, well, well! A meeting of old acquaintances and strangers! I’d ask you who the newcomer is and where she came from but it doesn’t really matter.” He turned his head to the pony at his side. His companion was a very old unicorn, clad in several expensive layers of (incredibly enough) fur and lace. There was a certain inevitability about this meeting so Trixie managed to compose her face into a stoic neutral that didn’t twitch a muscle when High Life spoke next.

“Granny, meet Bellatrix Lulamoon. Trixie, meet my grandmother, Lobelia Blueblood. She’s been... dying to meet you.”

Trixie sighed deeply. “The Great and Powerful Trixie always has time for her greatest fans. She must say, very few, if any before now, have gone to such lengths to meet Trixie in person. Trixie is flattered.”

Sarcasm seemed to bite the old mare and her eyes flashed with hatred. “Don’t kid yourself, whelp. Anypony who tries to assassinate my great-grandchildren and gets away with it deserves my special attention. I am not long for this world and nothing, nothing shall endanger the Blueblood line while I persist!”

Trixie rolled her eyes with exasperation and groaned. “This again? Trixie is no assassin! Your unruly brats collided with Trixie’s fireworks! There is no plot, you demented nag!”

Lobelia tried to keep an impassive face but her cracked lips twitched repeatedly. Then she hissed. “Your sweet words might have fooled the guard but I know better! You are far too dangerous to be permitted back to Equestria. You’ll disappear here and now.” Her gaze travelled to Electrum. “As will all witnesses of your passing. Word will reach Canterlot that the expedition failed because of you, bringing further shame upon House Lulamoon. Soon they, too, will forget you.” The elderly unicorn grinned wickedly and Trixie saw the family resemblance. “All that is left, Bellatrix, is to choose how you die. That much courtesy I can spare. Will it be with dignity? Or will you beg or try to flee?”

Trixie’s eyes flicked very quickly to Electrum wearing her cape before refocusing on Lobelia. “May Trixie ask some questions?”

Lobelia nodded as if granting a favour. “Sure. Let’s savour your final moments.”

“How did you know to come here?”

“That is all thanks to the sterling deeds of my grandson here.”

High Life chuckled at Trixie’s incredulous expression. “It turns out that silly filly Visi has a communication crystal stashed away. She’s signed a contract prior to leaving on the expedition according to which she’s to give regular reports to the Canterlot Enquirer in exchange for a quite large sum of bits! I noticed the crystal while we spent the night together but didn’t comment. I stole it from her the night before we left for Frostmirror and used it to contact my relatives. They forwarded my message to Lobelia here!”

Trixie frowned. “But I thought no Blueblood knew where Lobelia was.”

High Life laughed. “Officially perhaps, but you can be sure several relatives are secretly cooperating with her.”

“...Why? What do they have to gain?”

Lobelia smirked. Her horn glowed weakly and a sealed scroll poofed into the air next to her.

“This. My last will and testament, in which I sign over my power and wealth to whichever blueblood is most in my favour.” Her face softened and her eyes turned mild. “I know my mind isn’t as sharp as it used to be... My time grows short. So I’m doing all I can to leave Equestria in a good state for my children. This includes choosing who shall inherit me.”

She turned and smiled at High Life. “The idiots who publicly dare to decry me won’t matter long once a proper Blueblood is head of the family, ready to lobby the crown in support of Prince Blueblood. We’ll be united and strong again! Your upstart house won’t stand a chance and neither will the houses of the lesser ponies.”

Lesser ponies..? Deja vu! Trixie rolled her eyes. Again.

High Life gave her a mocking smile but there was a smoldering fury in his eyes. “So. Any last requests, Bellatrix, before we kill you and I inherit the Blueblood estates?”

Trixie smiled a tired and lopsided smile for less than a second. “Let me talk to my friend for a moment. I apologise in advance – she can’t speak modern Equestrian.” She walked over to Electrum.

“Ellie, these ponies and these minotaurs are here to kill me. It’s a long story. They plan to kill any witnesses as well.” Electrum’s eyes widened and Trixie quickly held up a hoof to stop any rash actions. “Trixie has indulged them long enough but her patience is at an end. Trixie does not wish to die now, so close to living again.”

“Wh... what will you do?”

“I will hug you. When I release the hug I’m going to give you a push. I want you to use that push to run sideways and away from the wagon.”

Fear bloomed in Electrum’s eyes and to Trixie’s satisfaction it looked much like grief, especially once the princes started crying. Trixie leaned gently forward to hug the princess from the side, conveniently placing her horn out of sight of the minotaurs and Bluebloods. Her horn flared to life and she fished inside the pocket of her cloak around the Princess’ neck, extracting the glowing crystal. Then she charged another spell.

Poof!

Black smoke burst forth around Trixie and Electrum. Trixie pushed Electrum away, sending herself backwards at the same time. Two crossbow bolts slammed into the ice behind where the two had been only a second earlier, the angle making the bolts skid and bounce away into the distance. Trixie held the crystal in front of her and faced the cursing minotaurs.

“Come out! It’s dinnertime!

And the windigo burst forth from the crystal with a triumphant screech. High Life reacted by leaping backwards with his mouth agape. Lobelia just stood, transfixed. Trixie pointed a hoof at the furiously reloading minotaurs. “Sic ‘em!”

The windigo had been hovering close to Trixie and looking at her. She saw it turn its head. Then the air temperature dropped like a rock and the windigo flew towards the minotaurs. The first one gave up winding back the crossbow’s string, opting instead to use it as a club to deliver a double-handed blow against the windigo’s head. The crossbow passed harmlessly through the incorporeal equine, who flew up to the minotaur and gazed into its eyes.

There was a crinkling sound as the minotaur turned blue and was covered with frost. Then it toppled over, unbalanced, landing on its back with a solid ‘clunk’.

The ice by Trixie’s hooves shattered from a bolt of magic, peppering her coat with sharp shards. She turned her head to narrow her eyes at High Life, who was looking back at her with a mixture of terror and hate. Then his attention switched to the windigo. It had initially advanced towards the second minotaur but had now turned around to look at High Life.

He yelled weakly and galloped away. The windigo let out a roar and flew after him.

The second minotaur had finished winding back the crossbow and loading it. The monster glanced at the windigo with a calculating look before levelling its weapon at Trixie. Trixie’s horn flared just as the minotaur pulled the trigger.

The bolt stopped less than a hoof’s width from Trixie’s chest, vibrating in the air and wrapped in her magic. She caught the minotaur’s incredulous gaze and grinned.

“The Great and Powerful Trixie once met the Amazing Stiletto, the greatest knife thrower, juggler and catcher in all of Equestria!”

A grunt and a big flare of magic later the bolt was sunk deep in the minotaur’s right shoulder. It bellowed, dropped the crossbow and sank to one knee. It looked at the wound and prodded its limp right arm with its left. Then it raised its head and fixed Trixie with a gaze of unbridled fury. “Let’s see you catch my horns, puny pony trickster!” It charged at her with a loud bellow.

Trixie growled while backing away. A glance showed the windigo far away, chasing High Life’s still receding shape. She called it back but knew it wouldn’t arrive in time. Her horn flared and she was once again enveloped in smoke. A second later the minotaur charged blindly into the black mess with its head lowered to bring its horns into play. It hit nothing, managing only to trip on Trixie’s outstretched back hoof.

The minotaur slid and tumbled impressively far thanks to its momentum but it was picking itself up even before it stopped completely. When it turned around, however, it got hit in the face by a firework spell. It growled as its left hand flew up to its blinded eyes. A wipe of fading magical residue and a shake of its head later it opened its eyes... and was greeted by the windigo’s stare.

Trixie could feel the immense cold enveloping the minotaur even though she was several meters away. She let her attention shift from the feasting windigo to Lobelia Blueblood, who had stood paralysed since the fight began. Trixie shifted her stance intending to walk forward and realised her front hooves were stuck. Looking down revealed them to be frozen to the ground. She gently tugged them free before looking back up at a (figuratively) petrified Lobelia.

“You shouldn’t have come here.”

She walked closer, trapping Lobelia’s gaze in hers and speaking with gentle menace. “The fire at the party was an accident, as Trixie said. Trixie is an entertainer, nothing more! The guard was professional enough not to succumb to your paranoia so Trixie certainly couldn’t have sweet-talked her way out of prison. All Trixie wanted was to be left alone, but then you had to set fire to her wagon. So Trixie ran away, joining this expedition. Your grandson High Life is chauvinistic and annoying but until now he wasn’t an accomplice to attempted murder. No, you had to arrive here for that.”

She bent forward until her muzzle was a hair’s breadth away from Lobelia’s. “Congratulations. You have chased Trixie to the end of the world. Trixie has nowhere left to run, Lobelia. All that is left... is to fight.”

The windigo hooted. The second minotaur was an ice sculpture. Lobelia Blueblood, powerful matron of House Blueblood and descendant of the Cobaltveins of the Old Kingdoms, stared unfocused past Trixie’s left ear and keeled over gently as her heart failed. High Life was a speck in the distance.

The windigo looked with an air of disappointment at the crumpled elderly pony at Trixie’s hooves for a moment before gazing at High Life’s distant form and emitting an inquisitive and eager rumble. Trixie roused herself from staring at the cooling body in front of her and drew a shuddering breath.

“No, let him run if he thinks it’ll do him any good. You get to take him down if he tries to approach us again.” Then Trixie smiled at the windigo. “You’re obedient and loyal, aren’t you? Trixie couldn’t ask for a better pet. Good boy.”

The windigo shrieked and shot into the air, startling Trixie. A breathless Electrum walked up beside her, looking back and forth between the ghostly equine and Trixie. “Did you just try to befriend a windigo? What possessed you to do that?”

Trixie just shrugged while gaping at the windigo, who was yammering and hooting while flying back and forth in the air above her. Then it seemed to seize up and convulse. There was a flash of blue, after which the windigo calmed down. It turned its head to look at Trixie, slowly and silently approaching her. It lowered itself until it was at eye level with her and only then did it occur to her to be worried.

Then she saw a tiny pair of glowing blue eyes peek out from behind the windigo’s ghostly tail. Electrum cooed gently.

“A baby windigo...? I’ve never seen such a thing!”

Trixie grinned uncertainly up at the ghostly mare in front of her. “You reproduce by budding? Huh. Um... Congratulations?”

The windigo hooted and, though the sound was raw and strange, Trixie somehow got the impression of bubbling joy. Then it flew into the air to do loops and corkscrews, followed by a dive that buzzed so closely by Trixie that her mane was pulled by the wind. There was a crinkling sound and Trixie felt a sudden sensation of weight on her head. Electrum giggled while staring at her.

Trixie lifted a forehoof and patted her mane gently. It was stiff and covered by frost. “Did... did it do something? To Trixie’s hair?”

Electrum burst out laughing. “Green suits you, Trixie!”