• Published 8th Feb 2012
  • 2,765 Views, 49 Comments

Heart's Flame - ChaosSlayer



What happens when a cowardly baby dragon eats a magical bravery gem? Think about it or read it here.

  • ...
2
 49
 2,765

3) The (perfect?) date [PART 1].

Spike felt a difference in something since he left Sugarcube Corner. It wasn't something with him, but rather with everypony else. With every step he took while holding The Ruby Heart Deluxe he felt other ponies watching him, short whispers exchanged so quietly that he could not hear their contents but just loud enough for his dragon ears to know that they existed.

As he came closer to the Carousel Boutique, ponies started coming beside him and saying "Good Luck Spike.", to which he replied with nervous smiles and nods.

He wasn't sure what they were talking about, but something made him think that somehow they all learnt about him going to ask Rarity out. He didn't have to think about it for long, as Scootaloo appeared before him with her scooter and a small wagon attached to it, with Applebloom in it.

"Hey Spike! Ah want to wish you good luck with asking out Rarity. And it seems everypony else wishes you the same!" said Applebloom, smiling.

Spike lifted his eyebrow. "And I don't suppose you have any idea how they found out about it, do you?" he said, looking at them. Scootaloo smiled nervously.

"Well, I might've included this information on a note I was passing to Applebloom in class, and Mrs. Cheerilee might've noticed and read the note out loud to the entire class. And other ponies might've told other ponies during our break, and ultimately the entire Ponyville might've heard about it. Sorry." she said.

Spike was surprised. Not because everypony in Ponyville has heard of his quest but because of the speed at which information moved around Ponyville. It really wasn't that long since he saw Scootaloo before entering Sugarcube Corner. Or at least it didn't seem that long to Spike.

"It's alright. It's not like it changes anything." said Spike, smiling. His face returned to its focused state. "Now I really gotta pick up the pace though. I've wasted some time. I'll catch you all later." he said before moving around the scooter and, once again, kicking into his Love Speed gear. The Boutique wasn't too far but he hoped that he could get there before the news of his proposal did.


Rarity was... bored. She had two chests full of jewels and gemstones. She had many fabrics in many colours. She had rows of outfits made, but that was... monotonous. She never felt this way about dressmaking before. There were so many perfect ideas for dresses in her head, but she just didn't have... something to make them. Physically, all of her fabrics and decorations were sufficient. It was her that lacked something. Was it passion? Motivation? She had no idea. All she could've done was to wait or do something until her... 'flame' returned.

Was she to expect that what she so desperately needed was going to knock on her door in a few seconds?

Rarity was just watching the hands on her clock move slowly (clockwise of course) when a knocking sound at her door startled her. Maybe it was a customer? A purpose for which she would have to create? She'd still be bored but at least she'd have an aim in working on the next dress.

She got up and walked towards the door, using the magic to open it remotely before she even got there. Behind the door, instead of a stallion or a pony she expected stood Spike. He seemed... different to her, but she couldn't quite put her hoof on what seemed so different. It definitely didn't have anything to do with the fact that he was holding a something behind him, though it was a mystery she thought would be revealed very soon.

"Hello my little Spikey-Wikey? What brings you to my boutique today?" she asked, smiling. Nobody ever expected her to be bored and she wasn't going to give that impression. Spike, on the other hand, did nothing to cover up his change.

"My beautiful Rarity... I am not the dragon you once knew. I've earned some courage, just enough to ask you something very important." he said, looking her in the eye, and at that instant, Rarity understood. She didn't see his usual cautious sight, now replaced by a fiery stare of determination. She gulped and nodded.

Spike knelt on one knee and showed her what he was holding behind his back, "Rarity, I love you. I loved you from when I first saw you upon my arrival in Ponyville. I... I feel that you might have known, but still, I offer you this," he said, handing her The Ruby Heart Deluxe, "and I hope you accept my invitation... even if it is just for once... I'd like to go on a date with you." he spoke, his sight not wavering for a second, nor a tone in his voice depicting any trace of nervousness.

The marshmallow-coloured pony looked at the dragon. She knew that Spike has a crush on her, but always felt that he was more of a friend than someone she could love. But this new Spike... he was different from the baby dragon she befriended. He was something... more.

Rarity felt a warm sensation inside her. She could've made it anything, from sickness to the heat of the sun, but she couldn't lie to herself. She liked this Spike, more than how she liked his cowardly self. She actually fell in love with the determined baby dragon before her. Maybe she loved him from the start but didn't realise it? It didn't matter though. That sensation of love was a hundred time stronger than what she ever felt about Prince Blueblood.

"Spikey... no, Spike. I am surprised. I never would've thought that I would say it but... I'd love to go on a date with you. I think I may love you." she said, blushing slightly. She began to turn away, but Spike put his claws gently on her face.

"I can't bear to see you in indecision... so shall we check?" he asked, and before she could answer, he kissed her.

A shiver of surprise ran down the pony's spine. She wanted to turn away, but the kiss felt... good. The dragon moved back, but she moved forward and this time, she kissed him.

Spike wasn't surprised. He felt the heat coming from her body increase as he kissed her. Now she kissed him, and returned the passion he poured into his kiss. As both moved away, Rarity blushed and looked away while Spike smiled.

"It... seems I really love you Spike. Thank you for the beautiful gift too. Now then... when would you like for our date to start?" she asked, returning to her dignified position.

Before Spike could answer, a large explosion startled both of them. Rarity jumped while Spike took a stance and revealed his claws, ready to attack. For a second, he was surprised at his own reaction, but then both of them were showered with confetti.

And if there was confetti, a certain pink pony was never too far away.


Pinkie wasn't a spy. She was going to see how Rarity would react to Spike's proposal, but it could hardly be called spying when a crowd of other ponies tagged along to see as well. It was a miracle that the trees around Rarity's boutique even managed to hold all of these ponies and Pinkie's Party Cannon. She was prepared.

When Rarity definitely agreed to the date, Pinkie fired the confetti. All of the ponies on the trees were either surprised and fell off the trees or were shaken off by the recoil, just like Pinkie. Within seconds there was a huge crowd of ponies surrounding the boutique.

Pinkie hopped with joy around Rarity and Spike "She said yes! She said yes! Yay! This calls for a parrrrrty!" she shouted. All other ponies clapped with joy.


The dragon looked at not completely red Rarity, "It seems our date could as well start now." he said, smooching her on the cheek. She smiled at him, and they both went out to the crowd of ponies.


Flim looked at his brother. Flam looked back. They were both exhausted, but without any defensive or offensive magic they couldn't do anything but continue the work.

Three dark silhouettes appeared, and the middle-sized one stepped forward. "How goes the work, pony?" he asked, looking at Flim.

Flim gulped. "The first one is built, but it hasn't been tested yet. We're just working on the second one." He didn't like being called 'pony', but he has learnt not to argue with their kidnappers.

The silhouette grinned, "Excellent. Keep working, and you'll get your precious food and water. Soon those ponies will pay... and this time, we'll have the upper hand." he said, laughing. The other silhouettes laughed as well, after which they closed the door, leaving Flim and Flam alone in the huge dark cave.