• Published 22nd Apr 2013
  • 920 Views, 44 Comments

True Sight - Cold Spike



What would you do if you knew everything, about everyone, just by looking in their eyes?

  • ...
6
 44
 920

Prologue: Emancipation

I stood in front of my mother at the courthouse, my eyes burning into her soul. I could see everything she had done with her life, and everything she would continue to do. Every time I had looked at her, every time I had looked into her eyes, I saw the ponies she had hurt in order to protect and provide for me.

“Well,” the unicorn in front of me started, breaking the silence between my mother and me, “everything seems to be in order here. You, dear colt, have passed the financial test we gave you, meaning you can obviously take care of your finances such as food expenses.”

I nodded. I mean, it doesn't take a genius to figure out how to budget.

“You’ve been given a substantial inheritance from your mother, who obviously approves of this emancipation.” I nodded again, and for once my mother smiled. She was hoping deep down that she was doing the right thing.

“You will be emancipated. It’s pretty much done at this point. Even though you will have full control of your life, the government would still like to know of your future plans,” the lawyer finished.

“I’d like my mother to leave the room then,” I replied with just a hint of bitterness. I didn’t want to feel bitter, just like I didn’t want for any of this to happen, but I couldn’t let her know of my plans. My mother smiled slightly and promptly left the room without hesitation, using her unicorn magic to close the door. I then turned to the lawyer and spoke.

“I’m going to Ponyville. I found a small, empty house there that I can easily afford, and I’ll enroll in school there.”

He nodded. “I see, but why Ponyville? Wouldn’t somewhere far from Manehatten be preferable for your unique situation?”

Why indeed? I figured it was far enough away, but not too far from my old home. I did wish to come back to this city someday after all. I might not enjoy my mother’s company anymore, but I did still love her. I was hoping that with my mother’s separation from me, we could eventually patch things up. Ponyville was an arbitrary choice; it was merely convenient. “No real reason.”

“Alright, well then.” An aura of unicorn magic enveloped the city seal as the lawyer stamped several papers. “Just sign here, please.”

I held a quill to my mouth and signed away. As an earth pony, there was nothing overly special about me on the outside. My special talent, on the other hoof, was entirely something else.

“It’s done, kid. You are now free from this point on to make your own choices without a guardian or parent. Have a nice day; I’ll just have your mother sign these too.” I nodded and left the room in a hurry; I was getting sick of seeing his memories as well.

My mother was waiting outside the office. “Foresight, are you sure this is what you want?” she asked, sadness brimming in her thoughts.

I looked into her eyes, and I saw so many things that simply made me feel sick. I’m sick of my mother telling me that she is fine when she is not fine in the slightest. I’m sick of feeling her guilt that shouldn’t be there in the first place. I’m sick of her looking at me and thinking that I’m okay when I’m not okay, living in this huge city. I’m sick of feeling her hatred for the world around her simply because she will never get over something that was never her fault. And I’m just sick of her, and she knows it. She’s doing this without hesitation because she hopes that, at least in some small way, I will be happy without her.

I sighed. “It’s Veritas now. And I’m certain, Mother, and I’m sorr-“

“Never apologize for being who you are.” I blinked; for once she did something I was not expecting. It was a rare moment, but it was short-lived. With complete predictability, she signed the paper, gave me one last hug, then left me be.

I should have felt sad watching her leave my life. I should have felt a million different things, but not happiness. It bothered me that I was glad, but only for a moment.

It was official: I was on my own.

I closed the door to the courthouse and looked at the city. I was free, free to do anything I wished. My saddlebags were packed, and there was only one thing I wanted to do. I turned towards the train station, started walking, and never looked back.