• Published 18th Sep 2013
  • 1,013 Views, 19 Comments

Collateral History - Genesis Swift



"We can discover life through means of history; not just ours but the beings before us, and maybe the beings before them..."

  • ...
4
 19
 1,013

Chapter 4: A Coffin Guarded by a Cube.

...All I could think was who or what. Who or what was in this secured death bed? Should of left it alone shouldn't have let my curiosity guide me without an expectation of consequence; but it is to late now... All I thought about were the answers I worked so hard to receive, I can't believe I didn't think this through. Yet is it to much to say that I couldn't have expected this? Don't ask questions you don't want the answers to; cause the answers can be blinding...

A part of me really didn't want to continue through this crazy structure; but I just had to, curiosity and the sake of research is bent on this discovery. I headed down the stairs of floor five towards the door I couldn't open, until now.

I gave the card a quick slide through (which is pretty difficult when your a pegasus) and it checked out; yet the door went through a ton of mechanics just to open. The door opened revealing a massively long hallway of just, well emptiness. A barrier of metal blocked the rest of the hallway having only small open windows pointing towards the opposite side. Hopefully the door on this barrier didn't have some blasted contraption to stop my path this time. I'm sick of elevators. The door was easy to open, but I quickly realized that the out side didn't have a way to open it. I set my saddle bag down in the door way just so it'd stay open, I'll pick it up on the way back.

I gently started flying due to soar hooves. A long hover through this really bland hallway. When I got to the other side I slid the same card through the next contraption praying that it would work. *Bleep*. Oh thank goodness it did. There I was, in the very room with the cube. I got up close to it and saw a sign that looked like an obvious caution sign placed beside it. For safety measures I needed to decipher this to see what I was messing with and, oh shit I left my saddle bag at that door.

I went back to grab my stuff which was just my journal and deciphering book. Okay so if that is this than... okay that doesn't make any sense. I got this out of the sign.

"Caution when entering: Room is exactly 93 degrees kelvin and is unchangeable."

But that's impossible 93 degrees Kelvin is approximately... Negative two hundred and ninety two degrees Fahrenheit, which is negative one hundred and eighty degrees Celsius, rounded of course. So I'd be a ponycicle in ten seconds flat, tartarus it wouldn't even take that long. I knew it was cold in there to you could feel the cube resonating an aura of chill brrr. All this way just for nothing, could I even open that door? I reached my hoof towards it and lightly touched it. To my surprise the object itself was not cold in fact it didn't feel like anything. I opened the door up but if I stood in front of it the breeze alone would kill me. Than at that moment a heat wave poured into the room, most likely a safety installation to avoid the cold from spreading around. Good idea to cause it aloud me to look inside the cube but not enter.

Chains and a coffin made of stone wrapped up in those very chains. That was all I saw. What was inside the coffin I could never know because it was guarded by the aura of the cube. I was never gonna be able to find out, and to express my frustration; I took my pen and chucked it right at the coffin only for it to freeze into a large ice ball that became larger as it went. I hit the coffin hard enough to rattle the chains and locks, at that moment I was smacked hard enough to be knocked unconscious.


Whatever I did. Whatever I caused to happen; would be the very thing I write about now. Should of left it alone! Why did I get so mad with the status of that coffin being inaccessible! Well I now know something I never wanted to know and that is my own wrong doing. The answer more than blinds it completely cripples you and destroys everything around you; than it goes for you, when it knows that you have nothing else to live for. When you are broken and alone...


I woke with the lights out; but some other lights were on, as if in an alert status. The cube had closed its doors and I didn't want to mess with it again. I got up and knew that I needed to go. I may leave with no success but it wouldn't hurt to try once again to get to floor six. By the look of the place now it may possible to do so.

Heading back for the elevator now I entered the long room with the barricade. It was wrecked in a way that made it go from bland to near unbearable to look at. Which reminded me that I didn't happen to go through a door to get in here, the door was torn apart. I don't know what happened that caused this I just pray that wereponies don't exist and that I'm not one of them.

I went to grab my stuff which still held open the doorway and slid my journal and deciphering book into the bag. Whatever that did this, werepony or something else didn't need to use the door; it tore through the barrier plus the doorway ahead. Concerned I rushed to the top of the stairs to see the source of this destruction. Yet the only sight I saw was a hole in the elevators roof. Whatever this was the compounds security didn't stop it at the large hallway most likely designed now to hold it off. Shells of the discharged projectiles were scattered in that hall, along with destructive forces causing its shape to warp from metal, to exposed compacted dirt. Maybe I caused a major problem in the compound to cause this... maybe but the whole in the elevator roof doesn't seem to agree with that theory.

I entered the elevator, tried not to think on it to much and hit the six button. I know the ledges are here to hold on to but I don't have thumbs so I'll try my best to keep my balance. To my surprise the elevator began.

"This is finally coming to a close."

And with that comment I went on to face the greatest challenge.

-Chapter End-