• Published 18th Sep 2013
  • 1,013 Views, 19 Comments

Collateral History - Genesis Swift



"We can discover life through means of history; not just ours but the beings before us, and maybe the beings before them..."

  • ...
4
 19
 1,013

Chapter 1: The Find.

Dear Blink,

If you are reading this than the time to prepare is now; for my recent observation of some ruins has unleashed a horror of great magnitude. I was doing what I normally do as my job, my talent discovering more about the past and the origins of our own lives...


Genesis means origin, that is my name and oddly enough that applies to my talent; a high understanding and experienced research of human culture and life. Most ponies that do studying and research happen to be unicorns but I am a pegasus and an intellectual intrigued with human beings. My coat is a cool dark blue with a short cut mane that is just as white as ice with sky blue highlights an addition of mine. Might I add that I am engaged to a lovely girl by the name Grace and I miss her every moment I'm off at work. My cutie mark confuses other ponies and a little myself all I know is that it is some human artifact. That is who I am and I am currently on an adventure.


The air was cold with a howl of winter gusting behind it. I had prepared for a long day of searching with only rumors to guide me. I was airborne at the time for the advantage of height to aid my search. When I found what I had been tipped off to look for, the description matched. I touched down with the dust being blown away by my wing's quick landing of anticipation. I had found the ruins I had been looking for that I had heard ever so much about.

I was standing right outside the only personnel door, that was sealed up in a metal to powerful to get through with any magic or force, and nearby a giant what seemed to be a metal entrance for a larger vehicle or aircraft was lined with the same stuff. There was no handle on this door, instead the only thing was this electronic gadget with a small crack which you could only slide a piece of paper through if you tried. But here is the weird thing it lit up, it was actually alive with energy. Looking around for any clues I found a plastic card with bar-coding, and random numbers/letters on one side, and on the other a symbol of an eagle with the words "In God We Trust" above it, and below what I could read "United States O". I pondered what the rest could of said but nothing good came up so I slid it into my saddle bag just in case it had any further use to me. Now that I think about it I didn't have to decipher those words I had seen them on many pieces of paper across the many ruins I had been through, of America that's what it always says.

The area around me was grassy plain for the most part with a few ruins of buildings around. Near the middle lay an obelisk not that tall and slightly broken off at the tip but I can probably guess that most of it lay underground. I went into a larger pile of ruins nearby the metal structure's entrance that were excavated to see if I could find any clues on how to get in. Since it is just ruins there wasn't much to look at as expected, but what I did find was a dented trash bin. I took a gander inside and saw a crumpled paper; no harm in taking it. I unraveled the paper and my luck turned up, the gadget that's on the door was on the paper and I believe this will tell me how to open that same door. The words didn't catch my eye because the pictures were all I needed to see; besides I can always decipher them later. The picture was zoomed in on the top where a card was hovering above it with an arrow next to it pointing down. The next one showed the same card at the bottom with a light pinging on and the door open. I withdrew the card from my saddle bag and knew this is how I'm gonna get in. I just pray to celestia herself that this is the card I need and it works.

When I headed out here to the discovery of the metal entrance it was already dawn with an orange sky. I don't have much of a camp but flint n' steel for a fire and a bedroll will do to keep me warm under this cold night's sky.

I slept horribly that night. I had a dream where I could see a panning of the ruins with the obelisk a lot taller and a lot more ruins on each side with a giant shallow pool near the obelisk, with a screaming louder than a siren's in my ears; it was terrifying. My bottom eyelids were heavy and dark with deprivation and the feeling of hunger throbbing in my stomach, thank Blink for making me these dragon lilly muffins I ate well for the morning.The casual breakfast helped me wake up for the day though I wish I had something more satisfying than water to wash the meal down. Yawning I stretched out my hooves and gave my wings a good lap around the area. Of course I always limber up before I go into a potentially dangerous structure; I didn't expect that though and thought it would be perfectly normal in there but I've been wrong before.

Now filled with anticipation I took the plastic card out of my saddle bag had it so the bar-code was on the left side and slid it down the gadget so that it may open.

The door let out a little pinging sound.

Green light, door opens.

I say my casual catchphrase "This is where the fun begins; when only discovery and mystery lay ahead."

-Chapter End-

Author's Note:

Hey if you find anything that seems to be a punctuation error that I didn't catch in the final edit plz message me. Oh and any pointers for future stories would be nice.