• Published 10th Apr 2013
  • 4,325 Views, 85 Comments

Conversion - CrutioAstarothChaos



After the invasion of Canterlot, three changelings find out they have suffered a worse fate than the rest of the army: they were left behind. With their hive likely waging war on itself, an unnatural thought emerges: Self Preservation.

  • ...
5
 85
 4,325

Bumpy road ahead

“So, you finished?” Nurse Redheart gave a quizzical look to Lancet. Silver lancet hoofed the stack of papers over to the mare with a stoic face. “Are you trying to impress me?”

“Impressing somepony is the last thing I would have in mind, considering the fact that we will be making decisons that affect ponies lives directly,” Shiftlight replied without expression. Sure he finished his test in a record time, forty minutes, and Nurse Redheart first thought he gave up halfway, but when she saw that there was writing on the last page she reconsidered.

“Modesty won’t get you far in my field,” she started turning the pages. “Knowledge however, now that might just do.”

“If you’ll excuse me Nurse Redheart,” Lancet apologized. “I would very much like to see my brothers and ask them how their jobs turned out.”

“Sure, sure, run along little foal,” she gestured with her hoof. “See you later, I’ll read your scribble until then.”

Shiftlight turned around and left the nurse alone, trying to clear his head along the way to Sugarcube Corner. The changeling tried to familiarize himself with the place, greeted everypony with a nod and a ‘good day’, memorizing the important places and faces along the route. Soon enough he saw the gingerbread house, and felt the smell of baked goodies too. He quietly walked up to the shop and opened the door cautiously, expecting Pinkie to jump out from an unexpected place.

“Welcome weary traveler to the home of sugary goodness here in Ponyville!” A familiar masculine voice greeted. “We have all sorts of biscuits, cakes, muffins and cupcakes. Feel free to ask for a free taste!”

“Lime Biscuit?” Shiftlight asked, taken aback. His brother jumped out from behind the counter. “What are you doing?”

“Lancet!” Buzzer greeted. “I was expecting you! How did your test go?”

“Gave it my best shot,” he replied. “How was your first workday so far?”

“It’s ten in the morning,” Buzzer said a bit annoyed. “I had one customer, coming to pick up his order from yesterday, other than that it’s all you can see.”

The whole shop was empty around the two brothers, the ponies yet to feel the need for anything sweet except their tea or coffee. Shiftlight wondered why anypony would bake cakes and muffins this time, but seeing the question written all over his face the other changeling gestured towards a table and sat down himself.

“Pinkie says life only begins at half past eleven, when some ponies come and take a batch of sweeties for their colleagues at their workplace. After that around noon ponies get out for a walk, a talk and a snack. Many of them come here, so Pinkie is working to prepare for that too.”

“So, you haven’t started your real work yet?” Shiftlight asked.

“I was in the back myself, when Pinkie’s sense told her that there will be somepony coming into the shop,” Buzzer replied. “By the way, how did you like my greeting? I was thinking about it the whole morning.”

“It was a bit too long,” the other confessed. “But I suppose in the duller hours it would suffice.”

“Yeah, I thought it was long too,” Lime tapped his chin with a hoof. “I’m trying to imitate Pinkie as much as I could without arising suspicion. As far as I concluded from her unstoppable blabbering, she is very popular.”

“Just tread lightly,” Shiftlight warned. “We must not be discovered.”

“Yeah, I know,” Buzzer nodded. “But we talked about this; we need many friends. Which reminds me.”

The short unicorn ran off into the back of the shop, and soon returned holding an envelope in his magical grasp. He landed the envelope in front of his brother and sat down with a curious look on his face.

“Go ahead,” he nudged Shiftlight. “Open it.”

Shiftlight cautiously grabbed the envelope and opened it, expecting it to explode anytime, spreading confetti and muffins everywhere, but no such thing happened. He took out the parchment, and unfolded it, reading the contents out loudly.

“You are hereby invited to the official welcoming party of the Terrifying Trio, the three newest members of our ever-growing village! The party will take place at Sugarcube corner at the evening of this day, celebrating the successful settling and warm welcome of Silver Lancet, Zaffre and Lime Biscuit. Bring along anypony you wish! XOXO Pinkie Pie” Lancet gave a quizzical look to his brother. “Terrifying Trio?”

“Pinkie’s idea,” Buzzer replied. “I went along with it, hoping it might be spicy enough to make us somewhat known.”

“It’s a social gathering.” Shiftlight stated, his brother nodding. “I hate social interactions.”

“Part of why you never truly qualified as a perfect infiltrator.” Lime smirked. “But this is just what we needed. If we can make ourselves look like the perfect stallions, we would have a greater chance of survival.”

“You and your overconfident plans,” Shiftlight shook his head.

“Pinkie would’ve thrown us a party anyway,” Buzzer stated. “Might as well make the best of it.”

“All right, all right, if it means that much to you, I’ll come,” the tall changeling raised his hooves in defeat. “Just to thank you for bringing me that special something yesterday.”

“No need to thank me. –” Lime hopped off of the chair, and turned to leave. “– Well, if you really insist, you could take the news about the party to Zaffre. Yesterday we met he said he established his work at the orphanage.”

“Will do!” he replied, standing up, heading for the exit. “See you tonight at the party.”

I hate foals. Shiftlight noted to himself, when he entered the orphanage. The small ponies ran circles around him, bombarding him with useless questions, when he clearly stated he wanted to see Zaffre. After five minutes of noise and annoyance a familiar voice greeted him… from the door he came in a little while ago.

“Brother?” Thorax asked in his disguise, dropping a huge bag of food on the floor. “Here to adopt a foal?”

“Very funny and original Zaffre.” Shiftlight remarked with a frown. “Lime sends his regards, and asked me to hoof you this invitation.”

“What is this?” He asked, taking the paper and reading it through. “The Terrifying…”

“Don’t ask,” Lancet replied. “Will you attend the party?”

“Well, I promised Madame Tender to help but…” Thorax hesitated. “I might be able to ask her to make an exception.”

“If you won’t come the pink nightmare would be devastated,” Shiftlight stated. “And so would be our brother.”

“Well, if it makes you both happy, I’ll be there,” Zaffre promised. “I might ask Madame if it would be appropriate to bring along a few of the foals.”

“Oh, please do.” Lancet’s voice was filled with sarcasm. “I do so enjoy the company of small foals.”

“Now now brother.” Zaffre scoffed. “Without them you would’ve starved yesterday evening.”

Shiftlight sighed at his brother’s statement, turning to leave. Thorax accompanied him to the doorway and they bid their farewells till the evening.

“You know, it feels like I’m cheating, with you helping me prepare for your surprise party,” Pinkie remarked to Lime.

The two of them enjoyed the sight of their work; party decorations hanging from everywhere, confetti cannons waiting for the unsuspecting guests of honor, huge batches of muffins cupcakes stacked on the tables, along with punches and hot sauces of various kinds, and of course a stand for living musicians.

“You mean my brothers’ surprise party.” Lime Biscuit replied. “Which of course is mine too, but I know what my brothers like, and you know what the majority of Ponyville likes. With the two of us organizing, this party will be perfect for everypony!”

“I guess you have a point!” Pinkie agreed cheerfully. “I wish it would be evening already!”

“Why being impatient?” Buzzer asked.

“I just want to see ponies smile!” she replied. “I was always happy to make others happy! It’s what I got my cutiemark for!”

“Oh, I see,” the shifter said, tapping a hoof to his chin.

“Also, I think it’s because I’m the Element of Laughter too!” the pink pony continued.

“The what now?” Lime inquired, expecting another Pinkie-ish joke or some other unexplainable quirk.

“Oh, I guess we aren’t that famous after all.” She said to herself, thinking. “Well, we only saved Equestria two times so far. Three times counting Twilight, but with all the elements, only two.”
“You helped saving Equestria two times?” Lime faked amazement, while being freaked out of his own chitin husk. “How so?”

“Wow, were you living under a rock or something?” Pinkie asked.

You have no idea. Buzzer thought, but replied otherwise. “I heard of the elements, I just never knew I would have the chance to meet them personally!”

“Well, duh! You met all of them already!” Pinkie replied, placing a hoof on the changeling’s shoulder. “Applejack, Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, Rarity, Twilight and me, we’re all of the elements!”

If these elements saved Equestria two times, we’re in trouble. Buzzer thought. One time might’ve been when they wiped out all the changelings in Canterlot.

“Oh, reminds me!” Pinkie sunk into her abyss of thoughts again. “I need to ask Fluttershy to bring along a couple of birds. They would perfectly sing along with the songs Lyra will play!”

“Pinkie, you mind if I go check up on my brothers to see if they’re really available tonight?” Buzzer asked, trying not to be suspicious. “You know, there might be some complications with Zaffre now working at the orphanage and such.”

“Okie-dokie-lokie!” Pinkie replied. “Just make sure you’re all here at seven o’clock!”

“Will do!” he said quickly, almost screwing up his act.

Buzzer ran off into the streets of Ponyville, frightened of the information only he knew.

“Now now Shinetail, it was Fancy Dress who played with the dolls first!” Zaffre scoffed the little filly. “You might ask if she would let you play with her and the dolls, but it’s rude to forcefully take them from her.”

“I’m here to see Zaffre!” An annoyed voice yelled in the doorway. “Let me pass!”

“What a pleasant surprise to see you brother!” Thorax said, as his annoyed brother passed him by, grabbing the blue pegasus in his magical grasp, dragging him away from the playing foals.

“You. Me. Private. Now,” Buzzer ordered his brother, who immediately pointed at a door.

Buzzer dropped him, and huffing from exhaust he entered the kitchen. Thorax followed him, locking the door behind them. Once he made sure they were completely alone, he used a spell to muffle their voices to anypony, who would eavesdrop on them, and then turned to Lime.

“What’s the matter?” he examined his brother. “You look like you ran a marathon from Sugarcube corner to here!”

“Matter? Oh nothing important really!” Lime yelled. “We’re in the only village in Equestria, that is home to the most dangerous weapons these herbivores might ever have!”

“Slow down!” Thorax raised his voice. “I don’t follow you.”

“The Elements! They are here!” Buzzer explained. “In this very village! They were the first ponies we ever met!”

“Elements?” Zaffre raised a brow. “What elements?”

“I don’t know!” the other replied annoyed, his hooves holding his head, like it was about to launch into the ether from frustration. “But they saved Equestria two times! Two times brother!”

“Okay, so they did,” Thorax admitted. “So why the panic?”

“Applejack, Fluttershy, Rarity, Twilight Sparkle, Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash!” Buzzer counted. “They are the elements! Yesterday the mare named Applejack said she is suspicious of me! What if they are onto us? What if the party is a plan to eliminate us?”

“Calm down brother!” Zaffre placed a hoof on his brother’s shoulder. “I’m sure with our skills they don’t suspect a thing!”

“I’ve doomed us all!” Lime cried out. “I've killed my brothers!”

“No you haven’t!” the taller changeling slapped Buzzer. “Everything will be fine!”

That seemingly calmed the short shifter for a second, and Zaffre let go of his sibling. Immediately after the physical contact was ceased the small changeling cried out again, and with his magic opened the window of the room, jumping off and running away yelling something about warning their tallest brother.

“I hope Lancet has the ability to slap some sense into him.” Zaffre remarked, closing the window and letting out a sigh. “And I hope Lime isn’t right.”

“Brother! Brother! Brother! Brother!” Buzzer called out under Shiftlight’s window, jumping up at every word. “Brother!”

The tall changeling opened the window furiously, and smacked his sibling in the face.

“What is it nutjob?” He asked. “I was taking a rest to prepare for the party, I don’t need any stress!”

“Elements! Danger! Run!” Lime wheezed from exhaustion. “Warned Zaffre! Wouldn’t believe!”

“Shut up, take a deep breath, calm down, come inside, explain what happened.” Shiftlight ordered Buzzer, who seemed to react to the cold words rather well.

“The mares we met the first day, you remember them right?” Lime explained once inside and sealed off with a muffling spell. “They are all part of something called the ‘Elements’. They saved Equestria two times already! I suspect they know who we are, and will try to eliminate us at this party!”

“Of course they will,” Shiftlight replied sarcastically. “It will be a public execution.”

“Something tells me you don’t believe me either,” Buzzer raised a brow.

“You have a tendency of overreacting small things,” the other explained. “Even if it’s not a small thing, keeping a cool head is important. I thought you have learned this.”

“Lancet, you surely understand what ‘saving Equestria two times’ means,” Lime retorted “So why aren’t you worried?”

“Because we have a plan, and if it fails we have no backup,” he replied. “Panicking won’t get us anywhere. If they are truly suspicious, us disappearing would only prove them right.”

“So we stay and wait?” Buzzer asked, and his brother nodded. “Well, I guess it will be my fault if we all die in the end.”

“Keep up that positive attitude Lime,” Shiftlight advised. “It will help you through the difficult times.”

“All right. Thanks brother,” he said, opening the window to leave. “See you at the party tonight!”

“Next time learn to use the door!” Lancet yelled as a farewell. “Idiot.”