• Published 10th Apr 2013
  • 1,862 Views, 174 Comments

Libera Mé - EZTP



Set just after the events of season 3, Twilight Sparkle and her friends must rise to a challenging beast the likes of which will test her not only as an alicorn, but as the Princess of Friendship.

  • ...
4
 174
 1,862

16 Wings And Whistling

16

Time held still for the ponies, all seemed to be unreal at this moment. “NO!” Applejack and Rarity rushed to the edge while Rainbow Dash and Twilight sped over after the monster with Fluttershy close behind. Twilight could not see the monster, she did not realise they had held still for that long. She flew down, having trouble keeping up with Rainbow Dash. Something in her mind clicked at that moment. She had seen that smile before. It was the one the monster wore when it had broken Sombra, it was that look it gave Chrysalis before it...

“Rainbow, Fluttershy, WAIT!” Twilight spread her wings and held out her foreleg to halt Fluttershy with rough bump. Rainbow Dash however pushed on to catch the falling monster, she searched for any flicker desperately but could not see it past the-

“MOREROCK EEL!” She beat down her wings hard to pull up fast only to narrowly avoid the jaws of a second behind her. Its head crashed into her with a crack, the needle like teeth scraping past to send her flying. She tried to recover but pain shot through her wing and the most horrible feeling hit her, she could not fly. Another eel shot out grabbing her in its jaws, she stretched out with all her might to catch the pallet in her fore hooves and hold the mouth open. The large eel began flailing violently against the others, fighting to keep its catch. The world outside shook as violently as the snaps of more eels echoed about. She heard her friends screaming and saw flashed of light as she held on with all her strength. She could feel her legs begging to grow weak under the enormous pressure of the serpents jaw, the horrible smell from inside it making her dizzy and sick as she struggled to keep herself alive. She could not scream for help, afraid the drop in pressure would cause her to buckle.

“RAINBOW!” Twilight screamed as the eel that held her thrashed about. She was terrified it would pull back in and take Rainbow forever but the clumsy attempts of the others to steal its catch kept it distracted as it twisted around to keep her. Twilight could see it from here, Rainbow was caught holding open the jaws. She tried to cast a her element but it refused to function. A feeling of dread set in realising what a strain it had taken been used on the monster, she cursed that beast. Darn it twilight!

She was pulled quickly upwards by Fluttershy as more eels shot out to them, they littered the entire face. Twilight was starting to loose which one held Rainbow amidst the storm of teeth heading to her. She flew higher and concentrated a powerful electrified shield around her and Fluttershy. They were thrown back by the force of the monsters that collided against it, a quick spiral before they could recover. She made to charge with the shield at full strength but the eels did not stop, their colossal bodies of pure muscle throwing them about as they tried to breach the shield. Applejack fired her element at the eels trying to ease the storm around Twilight, it was not enough. The monsters were too large merely flinching at each shot. Rarity could only watch helplessly, Twilight had forgotten to conjure her element and she was left with her horn to repel the eels.

Rarity was not one trained in the art of magical combat. Her power was almost exclusively developed to craft and daily life. She had an idea to break apart the edge of the cliff, pulling Applejack and an angry Pinkie Pie back, Apparently Pinkie was fully ready to abseil in her spelunking gear. The pieces fell neatly but to her shock the eels with which they collided dove back into their holes. While it did ease the tide against Twilight she was begging for the debris to miss the one that had Rainbow. To her relief it did. Twilights shield exploded and she pulled up with Fluttershy.

“Applejack, Rarity, trap the base of Rainbow’s eel! Pinkie, get ready to incase. Fluttershy-”

“HANG ON RAINBOW!” Before she could finish Fluttershy had already flown down in order to gain the attention of some of the eels, as Twilight had wanted. Even though she squealed, squeaked and screamed Fluttershy was a very flexible evader. Twilight now used her power and sent powerful shocks to the eels causing them to pull in. As she peered down the drop to the expanse of trees obscured by eels, she became frightened that there was not enough time.

“TEDDY!”

“Oh for ponies sake!” A small red glint caught Twilight’s eye as it flew across to the middle of the ells swarm. A sudden bright flash accompanied by a roaring blinded her. Rarity had never felt as relieved to see the creature drop from the outcrop beneath the edge where it had hung to hide. She was relieved her rock slide did not break the edge where it stood, she was relieved her friend was alright and did not fall. She was mostly relieved though because although she could not explain why, she knew her friend was diving to Rainbow.

Applejack did not know why but she had to laugh with relief, the creature had hung there to hide. It dove past the first eels close to the wall, heading for the one that had Rainbow Dash in its jaws, the others were too far out and preoccupied with Fluttershy to notice it. Applejack saw what it was doing, Rarity was peering over the edge with her. As they looked to each other they smiled knowing they had the same idea. Focusing on the path it would take in the fall they fired to the cliff face to the base of Rainbow’s serpent, encasing it in rock to prevent it from retreating to its hole. The monster fell faster as it dove, spreading its arms and legs angling itself to the target. Rarity could see where it was headed and cried out to Fluttershy still dodging the others, “Keep them occupied!”

“HELP ME!” she screamed trying to fly higher. Twilight was still firing at the grouped ones slowly thinning their numbers, each one forcibly retreating to their hole. Applejack was at her elements end and the rock around the base of the serpent began to crack as it tried to pull in. She could see it though, the creature would make it in time, but what it would do was beyond her.

The creature rolled to angle its leg into a stomp and impacted the correct serpent with a tremendous crack. They could feel the shock where they stood moments later. The encasing rock shattered to a cloud of debris and dust and the eel pulled itself into the wall with great speed. Rarity smiled in content though as Teddy hung there waiting for it, one claw dug in the rock face with the other extended and at the ready. As Rainbow’s eel pulled closer, the dust built up obscuring the details and it vanished in the cloud.

A sharp shout followed by another violent tremor under their hooves and Applejack, Rarity and Pinkie Pie held her breath as the could settled. Although it became clear what had happened they were not sure how it had happened. The monster had somehow caught the head of the serpent and was holding the mouth open with the free leg and arm taking the strain. Although it tried to pull away from it, the strength of the creature gave no leverage for it to twist free. They could see it but it was nonetheless unbelievable.

Rainbow Dash was terrified, her legs were ready to give way. The eel tossed her about and she felt her hoof slip on the slimed pallet of the monster. She could not hold on this way, she tried moving her wing but it only stung with each violent shake. She tried to hold it in place but another jerk and it flopped around to swipe her face, it was broken beyond a doubt. The force of the jaw threatened to break her and she felt her abdominal muscles scream out under the pressure. Her spine cracked slightly as the jaws came lower. She hated this, this was close, she had to hold on for Twilight to come get her. It seemed doubtful though as she heard fluttershy scream for help. That brute had either been caught by one of these things or it had planned it. She felt like a fool, angry at herself for being played with such ease. Her hope held out though for Twilight, she soon would cleverly teleport in the mouth or something as creative. Something hit hard enough for the serpent to roar in agony, she saw the world pull away from her with alarming speed. This was it, if it got her in the hole this would be the end. She felt a surge of energy and pushed out against it but her hoof slipped again and that surge left as fast as it had come. The head stopped violently. The force shook her loose and she collapsed under the jaws, waiting for them to come down, they did not.

She looked in confusion staring down the throat of the eel. It was holding steady, no more violent jerking aside the odd tug. She scanned the teeth all around to see a claw and paw caught between the upper and lower row, wrapped around the side holding the jaw open. She had to blink to see it again, she could not forget the monsters claw. This seemed impossible but the ache flared up in her wing and she knew it was real. She did not understand why, but the gargle of the eels throat behind her brought her senses back. It was not the concern at the moment, she needed to get out and fast.

“JUMP BLUE!” the monsters voice ordered.

“I can’t fly!”

“I said jump, you’ll be fine!”

“What?!”

“DO IT!”

Seeing the claw slipping and hearing the monsters strain, she dived out into the fall. Whatever would happen at least she stood a better chance out there. She was relieved for the fresh air as she fell, but her wing was in too much pain to function. She tried to push through it but it swung around, buffeted by the currents. It was broken. There was a tremendous roar and the sound of cracking rock. Rainbow turned to see the monster was falling towards her.

At this point it seemed certain her moment was now, she would never get to see any of the things she wanted. The pony she never had the courage to tell, all the trials and tribulations that her friends would overcome, the answer to what this monster was. She took comfort in the knowledge though, that it was falling with her and the fact that she could be certain it would not harm anypony else again.

Rainbow could see it coming and was panicking. She stretched out her wing to try slow her speed but he imbalance caused her to spiral sharply out of control. She felt herself being spun around by a claw and she was now face to face with the monster. It reached out to her and she kicked hard, but it ignored the shots to grab her hoof and pull her closer into is front. Rainbow could not gain a secure place as she felt herself being pushed into its torso.

“Hold on to me!” She could not understand why but she wanted to, “Blue don’t you dare be difficult!” Holding tight around its neck she watched as it angled sharply using its arms and legs to the cliff face. As they drew closer she held tighter seeing what was soon to happen, this was going to hurt.

“Do not let go!” it ordered her as the arms and legs came up around to prepare. She placed her head to the side of the monsters and clamped her jaw on the shoulder, letting her wings pull in with the pain and her back legs twist around to hold onto one of the monsters. She held her breath and the world went silent as she waited for it, it was going to happen, she was genuinely afraid.

They hit the wall hard. The monster and her began to spin as she felt the fragmented sediment whipping at the face and the dust fill the muzzle. Another severe impact and the spin stopped to have them slide down the side. She could feel it heavier now and she knew they were slowing. There was relief but it was quickly stifled as she head felt the twisting of the muscle under her hoof and felt the agonised groan in the throat of the monster she clung to. She heard a snap but was oddly relieved to see the blade of the monster fall free, no longer in the hilt. A sudden tug and they spun to a halt, the monsters back hitting the wall and her now facing it. She could not speak or breathe, she felt the urge to cough but the reflex would not come.

Applejack was stunned, the creature had done it. She was as shocked as Pinkie Pie, whom she had to pin down to stop her diving after them. There were too many Eels that had pulled back in. Now if the courageous Pinkie went after them she would almost certainly be caught as Rainbow was, and they were fresh out of creatures. From where she peered she could see her friend was holding to the creature tightly, it was a great distance that they had fallen and there was still more to go. Rainbow Dash was no stranger to falling and crashing but this time she did not have her wings to break the speed before she landed. Most Pegasus ponies could take a plummet or two but this time it was more serious. This fall was simply too great.

Rainbow released her heads clamp to see what was happening. The monsters face was shut tight and she could hear it forcing a scream back. She looked up to see its claw firmly grasping a narrow outcrop, the arm was the one Twilight had fired at in the town. It was oddly twisted and from the way it hung she was certain something was wrong. She was happy though to be clear of the upper area where the Morerock Eels were. They shook slightly as the monster tried to gain a place to stand but the face was not going to be kind to them. She did not know what to do. Under her was a canopy of disturbingly familiar trees. Above, her friends flying wide to avoid the eels and in front of her, the monster in obvious agony. A jerk made her hold tighter again, she did not care at this point that the side of her face was pressed up against its.

“Can you grab something?” She tried to find a place but nothing came into view.

“No,” she gasped finding her breath again.

“Is Twilight close?”

“They’re trying, hold on.”

“My arm is failing, you need to find something quickly.”

“You’re too heavy.”

“Its for you not me! Hurry,” it groaned and she felt some pieces of stone crumble to her mane. With a growl it threw the other arm up but it only made them swing as it failed to grab anything, its breath trembling and the face convulsed in pain. “Blue, this is going to be very bad. No matter what, do not let go of me. Do you understand?” She nodded, even though the eyes were shut she knew it could feel her response on its face. It took a deep breath and she clamped her head back again ready for what was going to happen. She was frightened now and closed her eyes trying to hold on to that flicker of hope. They were not done yet. “Ready Blue?”

“Nope.” Her breath froze in her as she felt them drop. A sudden jerk as the monster kicked off the wall and she felt the pull she hated accelerate them down. On her back the monsters arm reached around and with a restrained shout she heard a familiar pop as the beast relocated the other. She felt herself turning, the gusts no longer hitting her as they were blocked by the monster. She felt its claw clasp down on her head to pull her under its own. The arm warped around her, she felt as though she was back to the day it had her in its choking coil. She tried to push away instinctively but the force was too great, it held too tight for her tired legs to fight back. The horrible uplifting of her insides grew worse as they flew faster. She shut her eyes and pressed herself against the body, this was the only chance, the monster was tough and could keep her from harm. She hated being saved.

Rarity was paralysed watching this display. Teddy had hit the wall hard and clung there for no more than a few moments before falling again to cradle Rainbow against it. She wanted to use her magic to reach down to them and repeat the teleporting spell but they were too far away. Back at the castle she only needed to move Fluttershy some aces away, this was a few hundred meters. She knew where this was going and it terrified her. “TWILIGHT! TELEPORT THEM NOW!”

“I can’t, theres not enough.” Twilights power was strained after using the shield, it was all but drained now. The exhausted Pegasus next to her was panting but at the ready, “Fluttershy, with me.” She saw what was happening below and tired to fly outwards to swoop under the section of eels safely. The average upper percentile length of a Morerock Eel is one hundred and thirty two meters, that means they can at the most reach out by approximately seventy five meters because of the heavy heads, we need to fly at a distance of eighty in case there are larger exceptions to be safe. We can reach Rainbow if we hurry. Twilight always could judge situations accurately when math was involved. Unfortunately the numbers told her they could not get there in time.

The two hit the trees and the light faded under the canopy, the cold hard claw of the monster pressed her head down and she felt its head lock down on hers. She pulled her hooves in to rest on the bulk of the body. The branches whipped and cracked as they plummeted further. She could not breathe waiting for it to happen. They were slowing down, she could not understand why they were slowing but they were. With no warning, they collided with the earth beneath. She heard a sickening crack and her world went dark.

Twilight shot down with Fluttershy as the two below were engulfed by the green of the tree canopy. She saw the tops twist and shake but as it spread they were forced to stop. This time Fluttershy had sone so with her, a nervous glance exchanged between the two. Below them were the Dionaea greggii, or the Whistling Snare Trees. These plants were infamous amongst the pegasus ponies. She had read a lot about them but her fear came from flight training with Rainbow Dash. These things were to be avoided at all costs. Legendary for their speed they could ensnare all manner of flying animals to pull them into the digestive trunks. They thankfully did not manage to catch Rainbow or the monster, most likely due to the speed with which they fell. Thinking fast she tried to peer under for a light blue of any kind, no signs showed themselves. She looked out to the expanse of the trees, they seemed to stretch endlessly to the horizon.

It was eerie how silent things had become. There were no birds flying over this area, the eels had fallen silent and no noise could be heard aside the beating of hers and Fluttershy’s wings. This place was a facade for a trap, every part of it was dangerous. Twilight wondered how so many eels and trees could exist, more to the point what their food source was.

“Do you see them!?” Pinkie Pie called out.

“No! We can’t get through, we need to go around!”

“Go! We’ll try to get a response from Rainbow. Be careful now!”

“Alright Applejack, those trees are dangerous! Do not-”

“We know sugar cube. Get along now!”

“Got it, Fluttershy?”

“Right behind you!” Twilight was impressed with her friends bravery, normally as yellow as her coat Fluttershy did not boast the bravest heart. When her friends were in trouble though she could be fearsome. They took off to what appeared to be the nearest edge of the trees hoping Rainbow was still alright. Twilight was terrified the monster was going to take away her friends wings, but she caught herself in a realisation; Did that thing just save Rainbow?