• Published 10th Apr 2013
  • 1,860 Views, 174 Comments

Libera Mé - EZTP



Set just after the events of season 3, Twilight Sparkle and her friends must rise to a challenging beast the likes of which will test her not only as an alicorn, but as the Princess of Friendship.

  • ...
4
 174
 1,860

13 What Are You?

13

Princess Celestia lay in her bed after another exhausting day of searching. She pressed her face to the pillow but let the covers remain off, it was too hot tonight for them. Twilight's new spell to uncover Changelings was a blessing yet it had the problem of being limited to search one pony at a time. The barrier of her Captain, Shining Armour, was no longer as effective as she had hoped, queen Chrysalis had now proven she would not stop until their subjugation.

The destruction of the kingdom had been thankfully limited to the residences and not the residents. One week was a long time and all had been repaired, returning life to Canterlot Kingdom once more. There was growing concern in the populace however over that beast, that thing. The stories going around were mixed ones of heroism and monstrosities, the most exaggerated one claiming the monster wielded fire to save them all. Stories were not a good idea and she tasked herself in educating Equestria about the danger this animal posed. She never set curfews, her ponies were intelligent and did not require such a trivial law. They had implemented their own measures to keep each and every individual safe. Such was the reason she was proud of each and every one of them.

The normal calm of her life had been shattered by this brute. Celestia had to discover an awful truth, she hated it with all entirety. She had never hated something before, not like this. Even queen Chrysalis and king Sombra did not provoke her ire the way it had. She tried to ignore it but she could only tally the score. It nearly took the life of her sister, then her, then her pupil. Anypony was endangered by it and she was ill imaging in the scale of what it could hurt. Luna was strong but she knew her sister felt the same drain when in the beasts company, there was this aura that seemed to suck at their very power.

She and Luna had not spoken now for three days. She hated fighting with her over the monster but her claims were ridiculous.

‘It fought to save you!’

‘It fought for the right to run away! Promised to it by a pony too kind to realise the action.

‘It is in need of our help. We must see to it that-’

‘The only thing I will see to is the beast back where it came from.’

‘Sister...I have never seen this of you.’

‘You threaten my family and you will upset me, you harm my family and I will ensure you never can do so again.’

‘Sister...’

‘You will be late for the night. If you see it at any point, I warn you not to hesitate.’

Luna had left without another word, three days later still nothing was spoken. She could see it again in her nightmares, for even there the beast did torment her. The horrific screams of the wingless mare, the brutality with which it dispatched the patrol, the ruthlessness by which it dared to ransom her sister, the horror of watching and hearing the convulsed agony before it fell.

After the failed invasion she had awoken to discover that thing was their herald. In an artful twist of fate it gained the freedom it wanted, a status as a superior foe and the respect of many a pony from the kingdom.

Celestia had never felt hatred before, but she knew why she hated the monster this much. She hated how she had no power over it. She was heartbroken when it had first opened its eyes, there was such pain in them but she could not ease it. She was daring enough to sit alone before it, unchained in the cell, while they conversed.

‘You may know with whom you speak creature. I ask of you two things; What are you? What do you want?’ Normally she would not have entertained it in this manner but the immunity to her power was something that could not be ignored. The verbal threats during the fist encounter had demonstrated is derogatory verbal eloquence and a gruesome imagination, she knew it could speak with her.

The creature had slowly eased itself upwards to a stand, looked at its surroundings and bolted to her. With a sigh she elegantly danced around the animal, it movements dazed an sluggish. As she thought after some moments it tired itself and collapsed once more to one knee. She gestured to a maid to bring it some water, it was then the creature forever gained the status of monster. It drank deeply from the mug, replacing it on the tray and politely thanking the nervous mare. In one swift motion it repeated what it had done to her sister, grabbing the mares throat and suspending her with one arm, barking demands to know its whereabouts.

Celestia was a patient mare but her patience then was gone. She saw the beast, barely her height, defiantly threatening one of her subjects weeping in its colossal grip. She had slowly turned her flank to the monster and done something she never thought she would, kick.

The impact was tremendous and the monster had fallen instantly, unmoving. Her subject was safely escorted out before she spoke the words she had hoped not to; ‘Captain you are to place it in the strongest chains you can find, it is allowed minimal amounts of water and sustenance. You and I will stand at the ready when it wakes up, I want to see if these bonds are strong enough.’

They had not been, resulting in a never ending watch over the beast. All the questions she had were never answered, it refused to dignify her with even a name. Then Twilight had successfully fixed the spell of Starswirl and she knew she had an option for the monster. It did not have to expire in the cell. The claim to amnesia, although convenient, could not be ignored. It earned her full hatred though after it had torn her little filly’s heart out as punishment for her kindness. Even the writhing and twisting it made while her monolith brace was created did not pierce her sympathy.

Celestia was a patient pony, but it had run out. She hated the fact she was not strong enough to protect her sister when she was threatened, she hated how the beast pushed against her every time she felt a twinge of sadness for it, she hated how she believed her student could not be harmed by it, she hated being weak. Then a realisation sent a tear to the pillow, the first one in centuries. Celestia hated the monster, but more so she hated herself.

*

They returned to the warm embrace of the foyer to see a nervous young pony trying to hide the large wolf under a woollen blanket, which was far too small. The wide smile and uplifted brow did little to alleviate the guilty appearance

“Sweetie Belle.” Rarity did not want to imagine what she did to force her to hide it but it could not have been good. “Let’s see.”

“Oh there’s nothing to see Rarity, she’s tired and wants to go to sleep.” The wolfs head poked up under the blanket and Sweetie Belle forced herself on top. It slid off and the once clear crystal wolf was now a deep purple.

The monster burst out laughing holding its new cheek firmly.

“Sweetie Belle!”

“I just gave her a drink! Some mulbleberry juice.”

“Excellent colour!” the creature laughed. Rarity saw the wolf wagging the stump again tapping the carpet rhythmically. She noticed that Crystal and her monster were very in touch, sensing each others emotions and reacting as though they were one. It always seemed they knew what the other was thinking.

“I’m so terribly sorry about this.”

The creature wiped a tear away, “Don’t worry Miss, she does that, I’ve just never seen such a strong reaction!”

Rarity realised that this was the first time she heard the creature genuinely laughing, it was short and gruff, muffled now with the claw holding the side. She would never have imagined this beast in chains would be here in her home behaving with civility. It was not late, still enough time to complete an outfit. She brought out her sketchpad and sat on the one seater in her living room. The creature came over but sat on the floor, leaning against the couch. Sweetie Belle Yawned and went to sit next to the wolf and the warm fire.

“So tell me then, what are you looking for?”

“Pardon?”

“The outfit darling.”

“Oh. A top and bottom.”

“Be more specific please.”

“A black top and bottom?”

“Look, you have the best designer in all of Equestria here, surely you are joking when all you want are two items I could doll out in my sleep.”

“A quick and simple idea has the fewest problems.”

“Too bad. Now, I was thinking in black too, but we must have some longer leggings, denim perhaps with a pinstripe pattern and maybe it theres room we can throw in a full neck collar with a-”

“Miss?” the creature raised its claw to stop her.

“Whats wrong?”

The creature sighed and stared down at its torn garments. “I do not need a fashionable item, something dark, simple and durable will be more than enough.” It looked at the clock, “I do not want to keep you from your sleep.”

She was amused at the creatures sincerity. Clearly trying to get out as quickly as possible, it must have needed this outfit urgently to remain here. She began to sketch out a rough figure of the creature noting areas where dimensions were required. She was mindful of her magic now, as they had discovered some spells are more adverse to the creature than others. As she highlighted more key areas she began to notice the creatures pronounced regions, its larger posterior, wide shoulders, the odd manner in which its knees bent. It would be a challenge for her but she was excited to start. “How about something like this?” She had drawn a simple sketch and gave the creature wide leggings with a long top. She was trying to provoke it into taking a greater interest in its own design.

“I would prefer something not as loose please, it could easily get caught on branches and tear. She tried again not knowing where to go. The creature had an idea in mind but she needed to draw it out. Every client of hers knew what they wanted, sometimes it had worked out, others less than successful. With the clients vision specified she could then sculpt something magnificent to satisfy them.

“This?” This time it was a strange one, very tight around the body with odd areas on the shoulders and neck sticking out. She smiled cheekily at the creature as it looked on.

“It looks like I swallowed a dinner plate.” She giggled and continued, glancing over to see the creature was smiling staring at the fire, lost in thought. She thought something more drastic would push it over the edge and force it to take a more active approach. Rarity found herself enjoying the company of this creature and wished the others could be here to see this. She couldn't say anything to them about this though, however if her plan would work she wouldn’t need to. This farfetched escapade was hopefully going to end with a friendly hello between the monster and Twilight. After everything that had happened today nothing seemed impossible.

“Then this will be perfect!” She held up the pad grinning as she saw the creature visibly irritated. The sketch was of it in a lovely dress with sequins and feathers. It looked like strange bird.

“Now I’m a bird who’s swallowed a plate. It does make my posterior look rather large wouldn't you agree?” Rarity laughed. Sweetie Belle came for a closer look.

“It looks like a chicken wearing a dress,” she laughed.

“Maybe if I added a cape...”

“How about you let me have a go?” Rarity was delighted she had won. She used her magic to float the pad to the creature but it did not take it from the air. Its smile faded instantly and she dropped the pad without thinking.

“Sorry,” she blurted out.

“It’s...fine.” The creature reached out and picked up the pad, turning to the next free page. Sweetie Belle gave passed the quill and sat beside it watching the blank page. Rarity was proud of her little sister showing such sweetness to a stranger. She was surprised how Sweetie was not disturbed by the scarring or the stories going around Ponyville of the escaped monster. She genuinely was not afraid.

Rarity was surprised as the creatures claw danced over the page stroking smooth, long lines and small detailed dashes. She was too curious and went to sit behind it on the sofa looking over the shoulder seeing the form take shape. Unfortunately the creature still had an unpleasant odour of sweat and grime about it.

Its method was interesting, marking out points of movement and detailing fabrics with texture renderings. The concept was interesting, very detailed but ultimately simple. Over its paws it had sketched an outline of socks but the detail began in the main body where it panned out below the knees and remained fastened tightly around the lower legs. There were pouches at the bottom and two clearly marked pockets. There was a wide stripe in the centre passing halfway over each of the legs separating the leggings in three. In the middle the creature wrote ‘black and durable’ and on the outer stripes wrote patterned. Rarity was relieved that the writing was legible and happy that communication would be easier than she thought. The top followed a similar division with long sleeves, the sides partially in the patterned part and the middle being black and durable. The upper arms had patches as well The creature was able to clearly depict its figure and managed to illustrate both front and back with specifications to comfort and required strength of fabric. When it was done it held it back to examine the finish, adding a few adjustments to key areas.

“That should help.” she commented.

“It looks cool!” Sweetie Belle added.

“Do you think you can manage?”

“Please darling, this will be fun!”

She raced to her workshop and began selecting fabrics, she had a special fabric the soldiers used under their armour which would serve the durability purposes, it could breathe, trap and release heat, and was made to last a long time. The patterned she assumed meant camouflage and she set about finding something from her dragon spotting business boom. The camouflage had to be effective both night and day to work. From what she had seen the creature needed to hide more than fight.

A thought occurred, Was it wise to arm this monster? It had hurt ponies before and the chance was this would make it easier to do so. She thought about it for some minutes but a voice in her shattered the flurry of ideas. The spring, it is not going to hurt you. She let it be now and if she was honest with herself the prospect of a new body to work with was too enticing.

“Can I have you here a moment please.” She heard the creature grunt standing up and walk to the extension, it spoke to Sweetie Belle.

“Can you keep her out of trouble for me?”

“No problem!”

This was the first time she would have to perform her measurements without magic. It made her nervous thinking how close she would be to it, and how it could react. The creature was behind her and upon seeing the tape raised its arms to stretch out. She tried her best to be graceful but it was difficult without her spell. The creature eyed her as she fumbled around.

“Are you sure you know what your doing?” The question offended her but she could understand its concern.

“Of course I do, all theses dresses here were made by moi exclusively. It’s just hard to do this without magic you see.” The creature remained silent as she struggled to get the tape around it. Scanning the room seeing all her marvellous works and designs scattered about.

“You have talent Miss.”

“You think so?” she modestly replied.

“Indeed, a keen eye for such subtle features.”

“Why thank you, I have done this my whole life, nothing feels better than seeing a pony with a fresh smile as she sees how beautiful she looks in the mirror for the first time in her new dress.”

“So you only design for females?”

“Well the stallions are not as outspoken with their gratitude,” she sighed, “Most of my upscale clientele do not even try the outfit on first, just in and out.”

“From what I can see I am sure they are grateful.”

“Hopefully you will be too, customer satisfaction is my number one priority!” The creature had to spread its legs and she measured the lengths and required contours. “Would you mind if I inquired into your outfits?”

“I’ll do my best to answer.”

“You wear outfits all the time?”

“For the most part yes.”

“Why?”

“Is it so strange to want to look good all the time.”

“Not at all darling! That design of yours is particularly striking, have you had much experience?”

“Not at all, that outfit is a simplified version of what the...more accomplished...warriors wear. It is designed to last.”

“So it is not an original.”

“Not at all, I chose something safe and familiar, creativity can wait.” She dropped the tape again and it rolled out over the floor forcing her to ravel it again. “If it helps...you could try to use your magic. Slowly please, I would prefer to avoid any unpleasantness.”

Rarity knew her ploy was working, it was slowly trusting her more and more as the night grew longer. “That would be just wonderful.”

The creature suddenly lowered itself to one knee and she stepped back in surprise as its claw grabbed her shoulder tightly. “I am no fool.” Its face was serious now and she could see the cruel look in its eyes again, “And I am sure you care for your sister. So understand this, if this is a trap and you are trying to restrain me, you had better get her out of here now, because I will fight to be free. The only reason I dare risk this is because you have shown you can help me, and that is something I cannot ignore.”

The creatures words startled her. It was apparent it was still weary of the situation. Indeed it had a right to be nervous with all the strange things that had happened, she was disappointed after all that it still did not trust her. Clearly It would be harder to earn than once thought.

She knocked the claw away and spun around whacking it on the good side of its face with her tail, “You are a fool! How dare you accuse me of such deception! And threaten my own sister!”

“I did not threaten-”

“You most certainly did brute! To threaten the safety of such a sweet little filly is barbaric and unforgivable. You are a monster! Further more how dare you speak to a lady in such a manner after she has risked her home, friendship, family and herself to help a fugitive sought by all Equestria. Despite your heroism in saving us all from the attacking hordes of the evil queen. Its tragic!” She threw her head back and raised her hoof winking at it. The creature was confused so she giggled to show it she was not serious.

It smiled eventually, “Alright thespian. I take your point...and heroism is not the word,” it added.

She floated the tape towards it and it held out its arm still on bended knee. The mark where her fireplace magic had touched was a burn. She did not understand, that magic was not meant to hurt a living creature. “Let us try a test patch alright?”

The creature nodded and grasped its extended arm bracing for the worst, it was visibly nervous. She gently brought the tip slowly down and it touched the edge of its hide. To her relief there was no reaction. The creature too breathed a sigh of relief.

“Actually it feels rather pleasant, a mild and cold burning sensation.” It stood up again extending its arms ready to be measured. Rarity danced about noting all the lengths and circumferences she needed, the creature behaved and held perfectly still, shifting its weight every now and then for comfort. She playfully ravelled the tape through the digits of its claws and around its arms, successfully coaxing it into smiling.

“So was it not heroism?”

“A hero by definition has to give the ultimate sacrifice to successfully be called such. Hence there is no such thing as a living hero.”

“What if the hero was saved by chance.”

“Then said hero was lucky, it still does not make them a hero by definition.”

“So were you lucky? We thought we’d seen the last of you after you stumbled off. Very foolish not to stay, it made you look guilty.”

“I was lucky that I was found, or more specifically that she helped me.”

“Do tell.”

“A blue winged pest with a moon as her marking, a dream invader. Luna.”

“Really? I thought you only remembered important names.”

“I do.”

“So why did you turn help us then? And why didn’t you stay?”

“I don’t think this is important to discuss.”

“It’s important to me. After being kept down there for who knows how long you threw away the chance to abandon us. Surely you have a reason?”

“I was promised freedom if I fought. Judging by the fact that they are hunting me I made the right decision in leaving.”

Yet again it avoided the question, “But that’s not why you left.”

“No, I had done too much damage to simply walk away free.”

“The night you first arrived?”

“As I said it was mostly a blank.”

“But you still fought them, and hurt them. What you did to that poor mare.”

“The flyer. Yes. That weighs heavier than all. I don’t remember doing it. I remember but I don’t. Every time I think it hurts, a stabbing in my skull.”

Rarities mouth fell agape at what she was seeing. It was holding its head, the eyes went bloodshot instantly and it began trailing more of its blood through the snout. “What are you?” It took some deep breaths and the eyes subsided.

“Please excuse me, I did not mean to cause...distress.”

“Are you alright?”

“No,” it groaned, “I need a moment.” She did not know what to do seeing this, only handing a tissue to wipe up the mess. A minute or so passed as it held the head breathing deeply. To her relief it stood up once more, “That feels better.”

“You really cannot remember can you?”

“Whenever I try that happens, or of course I just made an elaborate hoax to trick you.”

“One cannot fake some things.” She took a fabric cutting and gave it as a gauze. It had not lost a lot, only a trickle. What was happening to it though, she could not tell.

“I wish I could help her.”

“Who?”

“The flyer. I regret being that weak, not having control.” The eyes dilated and it held the cloth to the snout again.

“Lets leave it dear, does your...whatever enjoy savouries or biscuits? It would be wise to replenish yourself after your ordeal.”

“No thank you Miss.” The creature was silent she could see it was pondering her words. “Why did the soldiers attack me in the library?”

“Because you attacked them first.”

“Why can’t I remember!?” It was frustrated that its memory was failing and she thought it best to leave the topic alone, to her surprise it continued. “I fought out of instinct, self defence. At least from what I can recall.”

“Where did you learn to fight like that? Are you a soldier ?”

“Ha! A soldier! No my dear I used to make shoes.”

Rarities face lit up brighter than ever. “SHOES!” she exclaimed with delight, “What kind? Were they pretty? Did you design anything? How long were you making shoes for? You must show me something from your works!”

Her eagerness startled the creature and it nervously retreated. “Its not like that Miss. I am no designer, please remain calm.”

She composed herself, “Sorry...but it’s so exciting! What kind of shoes did you make?” She was gazing at the creature eager to learn more.

“Well I used to...replace missing extremities with artificial ones. The shoes I made were designed to repair and correct problems that my clients had with their bodies, deformities and such.”

“You actually helped others? Surely you jest.”

“Very funny. I did enjoy it to an extent, very peaceful work. Gives you time to think about things.”

“Might I inquire as to what sort of things?”

“Nothing interesting Miss. Modifications to designs, whats for dinner, and so-” It stopped abruptly, “...Well done Miss Rarity.”

She quickly pulled back seeing the stunned look on its face, “Is everything alright?”

“You managed to coax some information out of me.”

“Or it could have been false,” she teased.

“Indeed.”

“Well your secret is safe with me, I promise complete discretion with all my customers.”

“Even though I cannot pay? That’s a poor business model.”

“Oh you have more than earned it.”

“I see you make shoes as well.”

Rarity resumed measuring the lower part of the body, so much simpler with magic. “Yes I make complete outfits you see. Every part has to match perfectly and I see it as necessary to make my own. That way I can be certain.”

“Good policy.”

“Perhaps we could make some for you? Assuming you need them of course”

The creature looked down at its cut paws, damaged and scarred from the forest. It had wrapped them in bandages, very resourceful but nowhere near efficient enough for the dense undergrowth.

“Let us see how long this takes first, I would prefer to be gone before first light.”

Rarity smiled, she had made significant progress with this monster and she knew it was trusting her, with enough coaxing she could get it to peacefully talk with the others and put aside their first encounter. A wonderful idea emerged. She hesitated but decided it would have to be proposed, yet another push, “You are aware that your odour is absolutely ghastly right?”

“I can’t help it, things are not so easy in the forest. What’s your point?”

“Well...you are here and you could...have a umm...bath while you wait.” To her surprise the creature did not give an answer immediately, it seemed to be considering it. “After all smelling like that every monster in the everfree forest would know where you are.” It had not yet replied, which for Rarity was a good thing.

“No perfumes right? That would be worse than stinking.”

Rarity felt delighted, “I could use salts and exfoliants to help reduce any buildup. Besides I don’t want my creation to be worn and immediately get smelly.”

“I will accept the very generous offer Miss.”

“Wonderful!” she set het tape and notes to the side, “If you will kindly follow me we’ll get you set up.”

They passed though the living room to see Sweetie Belle was now looking very tired. Rarity fetched a blanket draped over the sofa and threw a log on the fire. Sweetie Belle quickly drifted into sleep protesting her own exhaustion, she was nestled against the wolf who was attempting to remain alert but was loosing her battle against sleep.

Rarity felt very warm inside and had an urge to hug her sister and squeeze until she could not stand it. She managed to restrain herself and led the creature up the narrow stairs, its difficulty apparent in pulling itself through the space nearly knocking portraits off the wall.

The bath itself looked more than large enough to accommodate its bulk, poised ready on its claws and sturdy iron feet. She let the water run taking a moment to become hot before plugging in the stop and fetching her salts and a small pot. “I thought we could use an herbal remedy Zecora gave me, guaranteed to sooth aches and bruises from a busy day. None of the ingredients in the ten second remedy.”

“It sounds perfect.” The creature shut the taps when less than half the the tub was full.

“You can use more water.”

“I’ll get in first, let the water rise.”

“Alright. Remember please two pinches is more than enough. I’ll get working on your outfit and have it finished before you can say camouflage.” The monster looked at her but did not reply, she quickly glanced over her person then to the mirror, a quick fright realising she did not have any makeup on.

“Thank you Miss Rarity. For Everything.”

She left the room to her work station and could hear the creature settle in, its grunts amusing her. It was far from an elegant warrior, more along the lines of a bumbling oaf. She was still pleased that it had in the very least relaxed around her, as she had relaxed around it. To her surprise she was just as cautious of this beast as it was of her. To her shock though she had completely forgotten to apply her makeup after the spring. She thought about it but it was late now, there was an additional concern though that even a slight change in her appearance would unnerve the monster. For now it did not matter, she had a job to do and would put her best hoof forward to make sure it worked, her outfit if completed correctly would be the creatures second skin, it would have to perform, as well as aesthetically please, because after all she had to make it look good.

Trotting down the stairs she eagerly rushed into her workshop and began the cutting of the fabrics. It was nerve racking how often she had to reference the measurements loosing trust in her instincts every now and then, soon the piece began to take shape, a trembling from above every now and then halting her. This was going to be difficult, to convince it to talk with Twilight. Still if Princess Luna herself had saved this thing, it was certainly worth the effort.