• Published 9th Apr 2013
  • 5,255 Views, 78 Comments

Reliving Memories - Brilorodion



After Twilight has not only lost memories but also starts acting strange, ancient forces begin their devastating power games.

  • ...
17
 78
 5,255

6: Expectations

Cold, bright light illuminated the way as five ponies and a dragon moved through the mostly empty corridors of Canterlot Mercy. While it was hard to measure the level of Pinkie Pie’s jumpiness, everypony else displayed some nervous quirks in their own way. A nervous earflap, a distorted mouth, more flown loops than usual – or possible with so little airspace. In Applejack’s case, the tension showed in her shortened temper.

“Stop it, will ya, Rainbow?” Applejack snorted at Rainbow Dash who made another loop through the hall. “You're gonna make a mess of this fancy medical stuff!” She pointed at the cupboards with medical equipment and supplies they passed every few meters.

“I never bump into anything!” Rainbow Dash replied, her voice rising in annoyance. “You know I’m always flying, Applejack. Everypony knows! Princess Celestia's letter said Twilight might need help remembering us.” Her ears dropped slightly at the thought. “How could anypony remember me better than through my flying skills?”

“Oh, then what's in your bags?” Pinkie Pie asked, jumping next to Applejack and taking a closer look at one of the three pairs of saddlebags the earthpony was carrying; both Rarity and Rainbow Dash had found excuses to make Applejack carry their bags. “Is it balloons? Oh, I love balloons! Remember that one time when–“

“It's not balloons, Pinkie,” Rainbow Dash said, rolling her eyes.

“Oh, I know, I know!” Pinkie Pie said. “It's a giant costume of yourself! Twilight will see it and remember you and then she'd wonder where you are and then you can take it off and she’ll be happy to see you and remember everypony else!”

“I am fairly sure that is not it,” Rarity said, now joining the conversation. “But now, tell us what it is you brought.”

“It’s… private,” Rainbow Dash replied, looking away and blushing slightly.

“Ah, come on, Rainbow. We’ll tell ya what we brought, and then it’s your turn. Deal?” Applejack asked.

“It’s… okay, deal.”

“Can’t show it to y’all because it’s below Rarity’s and Rainbow’s bags, but I brought a bottle of cider– I know, Rainbow, it’s not cider season,” Applejack added before the pegasus could protest. “I always keep a bottle for special occasions. Ya know, because everypony likes it so much. I thought, what could be more special than a friend in need?”

“Well, that's certainly something with a story behind it,” Rarity said. Waving her mane, she continued, “If you must know, the bag dear Applejack is so nice to carry contains the dress Twilight wore to our first Grand Gallopping Gala. Oh, she looked absolutely magnificent! The Gala wasn't what each of us expected, but in the end, it all turned out good once we started spending the evening with our dearest friends. What did my little Spike bring?“

“Pinkie brought Twilight’s bags earlier, and I found her latest checklist in there. I know, it’s not that important, but the letter said she would still remember me,” Spike mumbled. He knew it had to be harder for everypony else; he, at least, was still somewhere in Twilight’s memories. “Maybe something more recent could help, too. I also brought the picture of all of us from her room in the library. What about you, Fl–”

“Oh, let me, let me!” Pinkie Pie said, now bouncing backwards to look at the others.

“Pinkie, you’re gonna– ah, nevermind.” Applejack rolled her eyes. “What did ya bring?”

“At first I wanted to bring some cupcakes from Sugarcube Corner, but then I remembered that Mr. and Mrs. Cake bake them, too, and then I was scared that Twilight might think I was Mrs. Cake or even Mr. Cake!” Pinkie said, eyes agape. “Can you imagine? I am not even like the Cakes, but Twilight would mistake me for one of them and then she’d think Mrs. Cake would be Pinkie Pie and maybe somepony who doesn’t know them would believe her and then nopony would know me as Pinkie anymore!”

Rainbow Dash sighed, “Ugh, Pinkie, focus!”

“Oh, yes!” Pinkie Pie shook her head to get back on track. “After that idea I had a better one. I thought ‘What could make somepony happier than a get-well-soon-party?’, so I brought everything we need!”

“Don’t ya think that might be a bit much? I mean, she might not be in the mood, Pinkie,” Applejack said.

“How could anypony not like a party? It’s like the best thing to brighten up your mood!” Pinkie Pie said, tilting her head to the side.

“I just meant–” Applejack tried to say before she realized with whom she was talking. “Just forget it. Fluttershy, what about you?” When she didn’t get an answer for a while, she tried again. “Fluttershy?”

“I, um… I didn’t…,” Fluttershy stammered. “I only had a feather from Princess Celestia’s pet phoenix that could serve as a memento for our friendship. I brought it, but it’s not as nice as your gifts. It’s more about me than about the friendship. So I thought I… maybe...” she trailed off.

“What’s that, sugarcube?” Applejack asked.

“I… I thought about everything that happened since Twilight came to Ponyville and what I learned from her. So I wanted to tell her how she made a better pony out of me,” Fluttershy said, hiding her face beneath her mane. “Oh, if Twilight ever remembers, she’ll be disappointed! We’ve been good friends for so long, yet I don’t really have anything I can show her!”

“Oh, don’t you worry, darling. To be honest, I think your present outshines the other presents we’ve heard of and even my very own,” Rarity said. She gave Fluttershy a little nudge and continued, “Don’t you see it?”

“Rarity is right, Fluttershy,” Rainbow Dash said. She took a deep breath and continued, “See, I… I wrote a story about Daring Do a while ago. Twilight read it and wanted to help me improve some things. She said she enjoyed reading it, so I put it in my bag when I came here, maybe she’ll at least have a good time reading it again. I didn’t really want to talk about it. I didn’t want anypony to think I’m an egghead. But that’s just what my friendship with Twilight did: I was able to think outside the box, and I started reading. It’s not about the book at all, Fluttershy. It’s what being friends with Twilight means.”

Applejack smiled and nodded. “There ya go. We all brought something to help her remember, but these are just little things linked to one story each. You brought the best thing you could: yourself. With all the stories ya can tell about how Twilight and the friendship with her influenced you for the better, that’s the most wonderful present there is!”

“Your friends are right, Fluttershy. ‘Tis a fine gift.”

“Princess Luna!” they all said with one voice. They had been so lost in conversation – especially with Pinkie Pie still bouncing backwards in front of everypony – that they didn’t notice they had already reached their destination. They were still standing in a corridor, but the room Twilight was staying in was at the end of it, separated from other patients.

“I told you to call… It is of no use, I guess,” Luna sighed. “Can I take it that my sister’s letter has reached you?”

She had been sitting next to the closed door; now she was standing in front of the other ponies, her horn dimly glowing. She seemed to be exhausted: her eyes were reddened, her mane didn’t have its usual brilliance and several streaks refused to follow the flow of the rest of her hair. Her face was filled with determination without the slightest glimpse of a smile despite just being greeted by friends.

Applejack was the first to speak. “It sure has, Prin– I mean, Luna. That’s why we’re all here. I’m sorry if I’m intruding or something, but what happened? I mean, to you. Looks like you had a rough night, too.”

“I am well. ‘Tis nothing but the result of taking precautions.” The magic glow of Luna’s horn pulsed once as if to confirm what she had just said. “I dare not entrust anypony with the protection of Twilight, so I have been taking that matter into my own hooves since she arrived at the hospital in Ponyville. When she was being moved here, I followed.”

“Are you telling me you’ve been staying up for almost three days now?” Rainbow Dash asked. “Even you need to sleep once in a while! What are the guards there for?”

Luna shook her head. “‘Tis not something I will discuss with anypony. I do not know what my sister has told you, but all the evidence points towards Twilight’s guard being the attacker.” With an almost grim determination, she continued, “I am staying with her, no matter the cost.”

“Her guard?” Rainbow Dash asked. “Where is that–”

“Shouldn’t you be with Twilight then? You’re outside of her room now, you silly pony!” Pinkie Pie said with a smile.

“Pinkie Pie! You can’t talk to a princess like that,” Rarity said before Luna could answer. She shook her head, clearly appalled by the pink pony’s behavior. “Please forgive her, Princess. But if I may be so bold, her question isn’t completely unreasonable. Why are you out here?"

Luna sighed and her ears dropped slightly. “In this moment, Twilight’s brother is visiting her. Aside from that… It is complicated. Let me for now just say that she does not want to see me.” She took a deep breath. “I will explain it to you later. Before you may visit Twilight, there are two things. First, she has to allow it. Shining Armor will tell me when she is ready to see you. Please keep in mind, she does not remember you, and you may know more about her than she does. It can be a scary situation for her, so be careful.”

“We will certainly show our best manners, Princess Luna,” Rarity said, darting a stern look at Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash. “What is the second thing?

“The precautions I have taken prevent any kind of magic inside the room, and I do mean any kind. It is not just affecting unicorns. Pegasi and earthponies each have their own kind of magic. You will all feel weakened, and the spell may make your head spin. There is nothing I can do about that without stopping the spell, so if anypony might not be able to endure it any longer, just leave the room. Entering it will take a bit longer, though, to prevent any kind of intruder to get in.”

“Ya think this is really necessary?” Applejack asked, wondering what kind of earthpony magic Luna could have meant. “I mean, whoever it is, they didn’t attack ya twice. ‘Sides, ya really need to hit the hay.”

“I am not willing to take any risk. I have lived thousands of years, I can survive a few days without sleep. I would do anything for Twilight.”


“Twily, they’re your friends. Give them a chance!”

“I told you, I don’t remember them.” Twilight rolled her eyes. “If there’s any reason I became a princess, it’s my studies. I have to make use of every second to catch up on what I forgot.”

The discussion had been going on for a while, but now her big brother sensed his chance. “That's just it. Your friends are what you fo–”

“I’m happy you visited me, so don’t get me wrong when I’m saying that I can’t have you or some ponies I don’t even know keep me from studying. Not now. I’ll have some time in… let me take a look,” Twilight said, plodding through the pile of parchment she had already produced on her bed. “Ah, here it is. See? I can’t even tell you accurately when I’ll have time because I didn’t have time to make a good plan! All I can say for now is that I’ll probably catch up with them in a few months.”

“A few months? You’re crazy, little sis!” Shining Armor dropped his forehead into his hoof. “Look, I’m sorry to force this upon you, but you need your friends. I know you’re having a hard time and you’re not the only pony getting a headache because of Lu– this magic field protecting you. You’ll put your scrolls aside now and I’m going to get your friends.”

“But–”

“No backtalk!”

Twilight watched as her brother left the room and started talking to somepony outside. Fine. Maybe he'll stop bothering me once this is over. A few moments later, Shining Armor returned, accompanied by Spike and a group of five ponies. They walked to her end of the room and took positions around her bed. Spike climbed on it and jumped towards her.

“Twilight!”

“Spike! I've missed you!” Twilight said, hugging Spike. “Catching up on everything I forgot isn't the same without my number one assistant.”

Spike smiled sheepishly. “But maybe you don't need to learn everything again. That's why we're all here. Each of us brought something to help you remember.”

Twilight sighed. “That's nice, Spike, but I'm quite sure that won't work. I am in Canterlot, I grew up here. I can even see my parents' house and the palace from here. If that doesn't work, I don't think anything will help. So let's just get this over with. I need to get back to my studies, I don't have time for this. It's already hard enough as it is with a constant headache.”

Awkward silence filled the room while Twilight was already starting to pay more attention to the nearest scroll of parchment next to her bed than to the ponies around her. Why are they looking at me like that? They have surely been told about my memory loss by somepony. They knew what they were getting into.

“Twily, at least give it a try,” Shining Armor said with an encouraging smile. He started pointing at each of the visiting ponies. “These are Rarity, Applejack, Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie. They have been your best friends since you arrived in Ponyville.”

After being greeted by everypony, Twilight said, “I'm sorry. You surely expect me to remember you, but it's like I've never seen you before.”

Another moment of awkward silence followed; Rarity was the first to speak. “Oh, don't you worry, darling. We've got plenty of stories to share with you. Just wait and listen. We will help you like you helped us when you saved Equestria from Discord.”

“I did what now? You're joking, right?” Twilight said. That's the last thing I need.

“Oh, but I am not joking at all,” Rarity said. “It is one of your great accomplishments that resulted in that statue of you being set up in the palace. It's next to Princess Celestia's and Princess Luna's.”

Shining Armor tried to intervene, “Um, Rarity, I'm not sure if you should ment–“

“There's a statue of me in the palace? Oh great, even more to live up to,” Twilight said before realizing the full implication of what Rarity had just said. “Wait... next to Princess Celestia's statue and Princess what's-her-name?”

“Don't ya make such a big deal out of it, sugarcube. It's well deserved,” Applejack said. “Oh, and ya don't even remember Luna? I mean, I didn’t expect that, after all the time you two spent together.”

Twilight tilted her head slightly. “‘All the time’? What’s that supposed to mean?”

“We should probably not–” Shining Armor said, hesitantly raising a hoof.

“Oh you silly pony, you even forgot what a cutesy-wootsy couple you two were?” Pinkie Pie interrupted him. “You were on everypony’s lips back in Ponyville!”

“Yeah, I guess you two had a great time together,” Rainbow Dash said, giving Twilight a wink. “Or didn’t you–”

“Woah nelly, that’s enough of that for now,” Applejack said, giving Twilight a break. “Let’s not give poor Twi the creeps. How about we tell her some stories, like we planned? Rarity, would ya like to start?”

Shining Armor sighed in relief. “Thanks, Applejack, I almost thought I had to–”

“Well, of course, dear Applejack,” Rarity said. “Twilight, darling, do the words ‘Grand Gallopping Gala’ ring any bells? Oh, of course they do. Everypony has heard of the Gala and you haven’t forgot everything, have you?” With a short glow of her horn, Rarity opened her saddlebags and tugged out a dress. “During your first year in Ponyville, we were all visiting the Gala together. Quite naturally, we couldn’t wear just any dress, so I made one for each of us, and this one is yours. Oh, you looked absolutely magnificent in it!” She went on elaborating on every little detail of each dress, and Twilight could feel the throbbing pain in her head grow stronger. Oh please, make her stop!

Finally, a slight poke from Applejack brought Rarity back on track. “So, where was I? Ah yes, the Gala. Well, it was certainly as glamorous as each of us thought, but it still fell short of our expectations in the end. Everything began when…” Rarity said, telling the story of their first Grand Gallopping Gala; the other ponies were adding a detail or two now and then. When she was finished, she said, “Honestly, I can’t say we weren’t to blame for what became of it that day, but we still had a great evening. So… What do you think of it, darling? Any memories coming up?”

“You did… what?” Twilight said, her mouth slightly agape. With every word of the story, the magic-induced headache seemed to get stronger. “You basically wrecked half the palace and you’re saying it was a great evening? And I was there with you? That surely was the most embarrassing day ever! I don’t even want to think… Oh, Princess Celestia must have been so disappointed!”

“Ah, calm down, sugarcube,” Applejack said, patting Twilight on the back. “We all shared a good laugh that night, and that includes the Princess as well. Maybe I can brighten up your mood with something I brought. Let me just… Rainbow, could ya at least take your bag?” she asked, trying to reach her own bag.

“Ah, there it is. Ya see, Twi, I’m from Sweet Apple Acres, the biggest farm right outside of Ponyville. Every fall, we use our best apples to make some cider. There’s a large crowd every year, and we can’t always make enough cider for everypony. That even made some crazy ponies appear a few years ago. Let me tell ya…” Applejack said. She went on to tell Twilight about Flim, Flam and how the friends saved Sweet Apple Acres together. Handing Twilight the bottle she had pulled out of her bags, she continued, “But every year, I’m saving one bottle for a special occasion, so… this is for you.”

Twilight sighed. What is wrong with these ponies? “You do know that alcohol causes headaches and memory loss, don’t you? I’m already suffering from both.” And what’s so special about that cider? Imported cider is available in Canterlot throughout the year. She rolled her eyes and shook her head. “Shining Armor, I don’t see where this is supposed to be going. I don’t remember anything and I’m just wasting precious time I need for my studies.”

“Twily, just–”

“Twilight, come on!” Rainbow Dash said, flying closer to the bed. “You haven’t heard all of our stories yet. Just take Fluttershy, she has a great story to tell you. Show her what you’ve got, pal!”

“But… um, ok,” Fluttershy stammered. Pulling out the phoenix feather, she said, “The story behind this feather isn’t that big, but I have more things I could tell you. If that’s ok, I mean.”

“We’ll see. As I said,” Twilight shot her brother a stern look, “I don’t have that much time, so just go on and tell me about this feather.”

“Well, maybe you can already tell what kind of feather this is,” Fluttershy said. “It is from a very rare and special kind of bird.”

Twilight started rubbing her temples although she knew it wouldn’t stop the headache. “Just tell me, no guessing games.”

“Ok then. This is a feather from a phoenix, a beautiful creature of fire,” Fluttershy said with shining eyes. “But it’s not just from any phoenix, it’s from Princess Celestia’s own pet phoenix. When she was visiting Ponyville, I thought her pet was sick and…” she said. When Fluttershy finished her story, Twilight dropped her forehead into a hoof.

“You are really telling me you abducted Princess Celestia’s pet?” Twilight asked. “You’re crazy! You can’t just go and take somepony’s pet from them!”

“But… Princess Celestia said–”

“It’s a miracle the princess didn’t banish you when she found out! Ugh,” Twilight said, crossing her forelegs.

Shining Armor raised a hoof again. “Girls, I don’t think this is–”

“Now, Twi, don’t ya be so hard on her. Ya haven’t even heard all her stories,” Applejack said, putting a hoof on Fluttershy’s shoulder to comfort her.

“Let’s just go on, please. I can’t spend the whole day on this,” Twilight said. Pointing at Rainbow Dash, she continued, “So, what’s your story… Rainbow Smash, it was?”

“I’m Rainbow Dash! But Fluttershy wasn’t… um, ok,” Rainbow Dash said when Twilight grumbled at the notion of hearing more stories. “So, when I was at the hospital a few years ago, you made me read ‘Daring Do and the Quest for the Sapphire Stone’. I wasn’t interested in it at first, I thought reading is for eggheads.”

Twilight raised an eyebrow. “Seriously?”

“No, just wait! It’s what my first thought was,” Rainbow Dash said. “I’ve read the whole series by now, and I… you gave me the idea to write my own story. You called it a ‘fan-fiction’. You said you liked it and that you’d help me improve it, so… I thought you could need some distraction with everything going on, so here it is.”

“I already have a huge workload and distractions are exactly what I don’t need right now,” Twilight said. She sighed. “Ok, maybe I’ll take a look at it later, but that’s not a promise. Let’s see… ‘Daring Do and the Mysterios Cyan Mare’? Um... a self-insert story?” And it hasn’t even been spell-checked. How in Equestria could I have liked this?

She used her magic to grab a scroll of parchment and her quill and added another point to her checklist. Looking up again, Twilight realized she wasn’t the only one suffering from the magic field. Her visitors were already showing first signs of dizziness: a shake of the head, a quick rub of the temple, a deep breath and – in the case of the pink pony – an excited spin. Maybe I was too harsh. Mh, it doesn’t matter in the end. I still don’t have time to– ugh, this headache. Hoping to get some rest and continue with her studies before the day was over, Twilight said,

“So, just one of you left?”

“Hey Twilight, I brought something, too,” Spike said. The pink pony in the background started working on something in her bags, but Twilight’s attention was now focused on her scaled assistant.

“Oh Spike, that wasn’t necessary,” Twilight said. “How could I ever forget my number one assistant?”

“But you forgot your friends and I can try to help you remember! That’s what an assistant is for,” Spike said proudly. He pulled a scroll of parchment and a framed picture out of Applejack’s bags. Before handing them to Twilight, he said, “You went to Sugarcube Corner because you forgot your checklist before… um… Pinkie found you. I thought something more recent could still be in your memories, so I got it for you. The picture is the one from your nightstand. It shows all of us together with your brother and Cadance.”

Shining Armor’s mouth went agape. Gulping to regain his composure, he stammered, “No. Nononononothatsnotagoodidea–”

“Cadance?” Twilight asked. Taking a look at the picture, she said, “Why’s Cadance in that pic– You’ve got some explaining to do, mister!

“Twily, calm down, plea–”

“Don’t you dare telling me to calm down. You’ve been sitting here for hours, keeping me from work and telling me all kinds of useless information about the past four years and the ponies I’ve met but mentioning your marriage never occurred to you? Why didn’t you tell me? You’re my brother, for pony’s sake! My B.B.B.F.F.!”

“I’m sorry, little sis, I really am. But the doc said–”

“Especially when it’s Cadance! She was my foalsitter, you know she already was like family to me! And where is she? She’s your wife and she was my foalsitter, shouldn’t she be here with you?”

“It’s not that ea–”

“Oh darling, but it surely isn’t possible for your brother and Princess Cadance to leave their new home,” Rarity said. “Somepony has to stay to reign over the Crystal Empire.”

Shining Armor sighed. “Oh dear. Why me?”

“Reign… what in Equestria… Crystal what now?” Twilight stumbled. “Ok, that's enough, I think we're done here. Either you all are just kidding me or I’m going crazy. Might as well do the latter. You are all just sitting here telling me cute stories and nopony tries to fill me in on what has actually been going on during these years? What’s next? Chocolate rain and talking bugs? Anypony? Come on, hit me! Maybe there’s something useful you can tell m–oompf!”

Twilight’s mouth was suddenly filled with confetti and one end of a streamer, and her ears were ringing from a loud bang. Both originated from the place the pink pony had been standing prior to Twilight’s ‘almost’-nervous breakdown. While Twilight’s head felt like it was about to explode, she realized that not only her mouth, but the whole hospital room was filled with streamers, garlands, confetti and other party decorations. A few seconds later, when everypony recovered from the sudden blast, they all found party hats on their heads and Pinkie Pie was pulling them into a group hug, while shouting,

“Get-well-soon-PARTY! No time for frownsies, everypony have fun!”

Shining Armor was the first to get free and said, “Ok, this is really not going as plan–”

“GET. OUT. ALL OF YOU!”

“Um… Twily, I think you’re–”

“NOW.”

While Twilight was breathing deeply and rubbing her temples with closed eyes, the others were slowly leaving, being pushed forward by Shining Armor and Applejack. Opening her eyes to rearrange her scrolls, she saw Applejack glimpsing back, with a twinkle in the earthpony’s eyes.

Twilight didn’t want to think about the afternoon. Her headache was killing her, and she needed to get some rest before she could get back to her studies. Just the thought about having to catch up on four years of studying even worsened her headache, so she stopped rearranging the scrolls, leaned back and closed her eyes to sleep. At least I can use the cider to forget this whole waste of time.


Luna tried to keep her mind clear of any thoughts. The past few days had already been exhausting without going through her bottled-up emotions. Even for an alicorn it wasn’t easy to keep a spell up over days, especially not one as powerful as a null-magic field.

A few hours after Twilight’s friends left, Celestia had paid her a visit. They had had a minor quarrel, not only regarding Luna’s sleep deprivation, but also her opinion on royal guards taking care of the security issues. In the end, Luna had agreed to get a few hours of sleep, as long as her sister would personally keep up the spell.

Now she was walking down a hall of Canterlot castle on the way to her room. Slowly but surely, her emotions got the better of her. A tight feeling in her chest, Luna sighed. How did this happen? And why? She did not hurt anypony, ever! Oh Twilight… my dear Twilight. She took a deep breath to shake off any depressing thoughts. Do not fret over it, Luna. You will figure something out. Tia will help, too.

Passing the last corner before reaching her room, Luna suddenly felt a shiver running down her spine. She immediately turned around with her horn aglow, ready to shoot spells at anything or anypony suspicious. All she could see, though, was the palace guard standing at the corner of the two corridors.

“Is everything alright, Your Highness?” the unicorn asked.

“‘Tis none of your business. Stop bothering me!”

Luna went into her room and slammed the door shut. Whispering to herself, she said,

“No more unpleasant surprises. This has already gone too far. Whoever is behind what happened to Twilight, I will find them, and I will crush them once she gets better. And Celestia should not dare to withhold any information. Oh, I will have a talk with her.”


He sighed with relief. Almost thought she’d get me. The change of mood was expected, but... wow, it was intense to actually see it as a result of this spell. I wonder where Fading Light learned that kind of magic. It’s so complicated… I don’t even dare to try understand it. Constructing something like it truly requires the mind of a genius.

He reverted to gazing into space. There was no need to blow his cover now. Lord Fading Light’s time would come soon – and so would his followers’.

Author's Note:

Thanks to my proofreaders and every user of the IRC channel of 'The Writer's Group' who helped me.