• Published 8th Apr 2013
  • 2,686 Views, 63 Comments

Fighting Back the Beast - Mr Anomalous



The ISA had believed that they were finally rid of the Helghan Empire. They were fools, and now, after they attempt an invasion of yet another world, they will pay the price.

  • ...
5
 63
 2,686

Six

SIX

Princess Celestia sat in her throne room, waiting for somepony to come to her with some sort of problem. No one had in over an hour and she had become quite bored. Suddenly though, a guard burst through the doors, much like when the Crystal Empire had returned.

"Princess!" He said with a bow, "Prince Shining Armor requests an audience with you!"

"What is it about?"

"I...do not know. He just needs to talk to you."

"Alright. I will take my leave. You two," she said, referring to her guards, "Come with me."

They both nodded and they exited the throne room.

After traveling a sizeable distance distance from the throne room to Princes Shining's office, Celestia entered. The poor stallion, a Princes of an entire different country and the captain of the military in another. Must be worked to death.

The two guards waited outside and the Solar Princess found Shining standing on his balcony, staring out at New Helghan.

"Princess, I'm glad you decided to show up."

"Of course. What is going on, Shining?"

"Look," Prince Shining answered, gesturing towards the spyglass that lay on the edge of his balcony.

The Princess took it up in her magic and lifted it towards her eye.

New Helghan had changed somewhat. It was always an industrial country, but something was...different. There was much more smoke, and the military presence in the streets had increased.

"What are they paranoid of?"

"I don't think that they are afraid of anything..."

The Princess looked around more and spotted the factories. She gasped. They were all in full production, and she saw many Helghast weapons coming from the factories, each of them being picked up by a Helghast soldier. Rifles were not the only thing being produced, as Celestia saw vehicles being driven outside as well. Tanks, trucks and other metal machines.

"No. They're not afraid. They're preparing."

"Yes. With whom?"

"I fear that it may be with us."

"What makes you think that?"

"They have shut their gates: no one can come in or out."

Princess Celestia put down the tool, a pit in her stomach.

"Send for Stromm, I wish to speak with him."

"That's another thing, Princess, they won't allow any communication between us."

There was silence for a moment and then Celestia spoke, "I do not beleive that Stromm would do such a thing...but I have not always been a perfect judge of character. Prince?"

"Yes Princess?"

"Put your troops on standby, increase defenses."

"We are not attacking him, I hope?"

"No, but be cautious. I truly fear if he does turn on us."

Shining Armor nodded and went on his way, leaving the Princess on his office balcony.

Oh Stromm, Celestia though, what are you up to?

"Soldiers, I speak to you today to inform you where exactly we are going. I am aware that you were ushered up and into battle mode without any explaining, but that's my job. We are on our way to a country neighboring Equestria called Gryphus. Several months ago, Stromm heard about them, and what information he received was unpleasant: their government is oppressive, a tyrant for a king. Stromm sent a scout to their land, but he never returned. At least not in one piece. His head was mailed back in a box. Stromm has assumed this an official deceleration of war, and we are going to fight that war."

The Officer looked around to see whether his troops were paying attention and continued.

"The Gryphon technology is higher than that of out Equestrian neighbors, but it is still below us. They are just now exploring the effects of gunpowder. But do not become to cocky, as the Gryphons are large and strong, which means that they can carry much more firepower than just one of us. Their repeaters are like cannons to us, and they have also found ways to use potions and crystals to create different effects, such as incendiary rounds and extra shrapnel. They have a chance against us. But we will win, because we are the good guys this time. We are liberating the Gryphon people. ETA Five hours."

New Helghan was quiet. The smoke had stopped, but communications and the gates re-opened. Princess Celestia sent a pair of guards inside to ask around, and what she had gotten back surprised her.

No, she had nothing to fear from Helghan, as they were not attacking her, but she was still disturbed. They were still going to war with one of Equestria's neighbors, the Gryphons, and the worst part was that it was entirely unprovoked. The civilians knew nothing, but they did not seem to care.

Another thing that irked her: the civilians did not seem to care one bit about the fact that their men were being sent over to the Gryphons so that they could kill each other. Celestia was going to have a little chat with Stromm when he got back.

Stromm was not a coward, not in the slightest. Unlike Visari, he was going to the front lines with his soldiers. Not only would it help troop morale, but he wanted to kill the Gryphon king himself. That Gryphon was every free man's nightmare. Everyday he killed thousands of his own people because of something that they might do. He took three-quarters of everything that his people made to swim in his own greed.

Not for much longer. The entirety of Stromm's forces had set up camp one mile from the border of Gryphus. They had yet to be noticed, and were all preparing for their first push into Gryphon territory. The land was moderate, with long grass and few trees all around. It was a lot like a savannah, but a bit more cool. The grass was green and well, same with the trees. Majestic, snowy peaks jutted out into the distance. They would make good cover for their march to the capital...

Stromm snapped out of his thoughts and immediately ordered , "Capture one and kill the other, now."

The troop radioed the command to the defenses outside of the camp and Stromm flinched when he heard the Anti-aircraft open fire. Those rounds, designed to punch through thick bullet-proof metal, must have torn the poor Gryphon to shreds.

There was an alarmed squawk, some ruffling noises, and two men pulled a struggling Gryphon into Stromm's tent. All of those years of war, battle, and terror returned to Stromm. Under his mask, a terrifying grin spread.

Luckily, the Gryphon was small, so the two men, Zyve and Sycth of course, had managed him easily. The Gryphon attempted to get up and charge Stromm but, still sitting in his chair, the Helghast leader raised his pistol and fired a round into the Gryphon's left wing.

He screamed and fell to the dirt ground, writhing and kicking up dust. When the Gryphon was finished, Stromm stood up and holstered his still smoking weapon.

He leaned over and harshly whispered into the Gryphon's ear, much like Kevin before Stromm had thrust his head into the machine, "We can't have you doing that, now can we?"

The Helghast leader stood up straight, raised his boot, and brought it down onto the Gryphon's arm. There was a crunch. More screams of pain. Stromm repeated his action with all of the Gryphon's limbs, save his wings. Stromm had placed his round so that the Gryphon would still be able to fly, but that made it no less painful for the bird-like creature.

The Gryphon lay, whimpering.

"Zyve, Sycth, leave us be."

Soon it was only Stromm and the Gryphon.

"What's your name, soldier?" Stromm asked after a moment of silence.

The Gryphon mumbled.

"Speak up."

"Stein. Iron Stein."

"Rank?"

"Corporal."

"Interesting. I have a job for you, Stein."

"Oh?"

"Yes, I do. But first a little information."

The Gryphon chuckled.

"Good luck getting anything from me, buddy."

A light burned in Stromm's eyes and he whispered.

"Challenge accepted," and brought his boot down onto the Gryphon's beak, shattering the top of it. Stein's tongue writhed in yet another scream.

"I happen to know the most sensitive parts of a living body, on any creature, and just what pains them the most."

Stromm took out his knife and stabbed it through the Gryphon's front paw, into the ground. Blood gushed from the wound and onto the dirt, staining it.

"Alright! What do you want to know," said Stein, panting heavily, his words warbled due to his broken beak.

Stromm withdrew his blade, with a wince from Stein, and said, "That was quick. Glad you made the right decision. First, what I want to know is how heavily your border is guarded."

"Very. We have over two thousand troops there on a twenty-four hour basis, with over six tons of gunpowder, and one thousand spears."

Stein looked at Stromm, wanting to see the fear in his eyes, but had forgotten that the Helghast was wearing a mask.

Stromm chuckled, sending chills down Stein's spine.

"I know that trick. Telling your interrogator that you have more forces than in reality. But you screwed something up: you brought confidence back into your voice."

Stein's eyes widened and Stromm stomped on his paw, the very same one which he had stabbed.

Stein yelped and began to cry.

"T-t-there are only six g-g-guards there, including me and Gladius..."

"Who?"

"The Gryphon who you just killed."

"Any messengers?"

"Y-yes, one..."

"How fast can he fly?"

"He-he-he's one of the-best."

"Good. How long do you think it would take for you to fly back?"

"Ab-b-bout one minute."

"Good. Good."

Suddenly, Stromm lunged forward, causing the Gryphon the flinch. There was a clack and a few beeps. Stein felt something heavy clamp onto his back.

"W-what is this?"

"It's a bomb, timed for one minute and a half. Hurry and get to your border and give your messenger this scroll."

Stromm handed Stein a rolled-up piece of paper.

"W-w-will it deactivate if I d-do that?"

"No you pathetic, groveling coward! You are going to die and nothing will save you!" Stromm roared, "But before you're torn to shreds by a barrage of white hot metal and flames, do your country a service and get that warning to your king! GO!"

Stein yelped and began to sob. He did as he was told, though, and began to painfully fly away, dropping blood and tears as he went.

"These pathetic Gryphons won't know what hit them," Stromm growled.

Lieutenant Gaffer Hit sat around the table, his cards splayed. On the other side was Private Steel, Specialist Jaf, and Private Smog. The last guard and only female in the pillbox, Corporal Gilda lay snoring on a cot.

"Smog, eyes of Gilda. You got a wife, remember?"

"Just cuz' I'm on a diet don't mean I can't look at the menu." Smog said.

The Gryphons all chuckled and returned to their cards.

"Damn! Shit! You'r a f*cking cheat! A f*cking cheat!" Jaf suddenly shouted as he stood up violently.

Gaffer only laughed.

"No, Jaf, I'm just a hell's-width better than you."

Jaf was about to retort when he was startled by a call from the bunk

"Hey! Can you dweebs please keep it quiet over there? I'm trying to friggin' sleep over here!"

The male Gryphons all turned to Gilda. There was a moment of silence and Steel rapidly said, "Smog was looking at your ass when you were asleep."

Smog's eyes widened, and the other Gryphons all turned to the table, smiles spread across their beaks.

Gilda stalked off her bunk and towards Smog. She grabbed his chest feather and brought her face close to her's.

"I ever hear about you doing that again, and I cut your dick off with my talons, ya hear me?"

"Uh, yeah, yeah Gilda. Is' just, I mean, is' been three months since ah've seen me wife."

"Do I look like I give a shit?"

"Err, um, no, no ya don't."

Gilda let the other Gryphon go and walked over to her bunk.

"Remember...talon."

Suddenly, the door to the concrete bunker slammed open, and Stein tumbled in.

All of the Gryphons rushed to help him but the battered Gryphon shouted, "No! Get back! Get back! The Helghasts are here, just outside the border! They killed Gladius and brought me to their leader! He did this to me, and told me to give you this scroll, and have Gilda fly it back to the king. They're coming! Right now!"

"None o' this explains why you don' want us ta help ya."

A long beep sounded and Stein tensed up for a second. He braced his face, cried, "Avenge me!," and lept back outside into the grass.

There was a boom bits of smoking flesh found their way into the bunker.

Everyone was quite.

"Shit! Gilda, get this to the King! You Gryphons, battle-stations! F*ck! Damn!"

While the Lieutenant shouted, Gilda snatched the scroll and launched herself outside. As she flew up and away, she opened the scroll.

On it was nothing but two words, both of them scrawled in blood.

Bad Gryphon.

The remaining troops all huddled over near the slit in the wall where their weapons protruded, and they waited. Flies attracted to the spattered corpse of Stein outside could be heard in the silence.

"Where this army o' Stromm's anywho?" Smog asked, a perplexed tone in his voice.

"Shh! Look!" Gaffer hissed

There, on the horizon. A line of black that stretched beyond sight faded into view.

"Holy mother of shit..." said Steel under his breath.

"Well, Gryphons, let us all take a moment to curse King Dim for making surrendering illegal."

More silence as the enemy mass approached. Hundreds and hundreds of men tromped through the grass with the help of massive, moving husks of metal.

Gaffer leaned over to Steel and murmured, "Steel...get the Gatling gun."

Steel smirked and nodded. He hopped up and rushed to the other side of the room, where a steel ladder was drilled into the wall, presumably to man the automatic weapon.

"Alright soldiers, take out your explosives ."

Each of the soldiers pulled a round, black bomb from their clothes and armor.

"Wait...wait..."

The ranks of Helghasts were coming closer, the green grass parting for their passage. When they were only a few feet away, and beginning the talk about the pillbox in front of them, Gaffer swept his paw through the air and shouted, "Now!"

Four hissing bombs whizzed from the small building and detonated in the ranks of the Helghasts. Above them, there was a war cray and Steel began to crank the lever on his weapon.

The thud, thud, thud, thud, thuds, sounded as Private Steel sent several Helghasts to their doom, throwing blood into the air, and staining the grass. Before much else could happen, five or six grenades of the Helghast's making clinked into the pillbox.

"Fire!" Gaffer cried, and each of the bird-creatures let loose a shot before they were all killed in the resulting explosion.

The shots were two inches and a half-inches wide, and took down many more. Private Steel's compartment above the pillbox was destroyed when a rocket streaked over and detonated.

Twelve Helghasts dead, five Gryphons. Several thousand to go.