• Published 8th Apr 2013
  • 2,049 Views, 40 Comments

To get a life once lost - ChangelingLumin



A Human in Equestria must get his life back on track.

  • ...
14
 40
 2,049

Life is cruel

The sound of an alarm beeping loudly was all Curtis heard before picking it up and throwing it out the window with a crash. A car alarm went off outside. Knowing that he won't be able to sleep in tonight Curtis picked himself up and pulled the sheets off of him as he got out of bed.

Even though he was still in his underwear, he slowly dragged himself over to the bathroom of his rundown old apartment to do his business.

After Curtis went back to his room to dress he opened the curtains and peered outside.

It was just another boring day in Canada. The run down apartment on the third floor at the corner of First and Second street was just as boring. With its peeling white tiles and leaky roof, and dusty stairwells and broken windows, most of it was due to Curtis being bored one day and deciding whether it would be a good idea to throw a brick into his neighbor's window or not.

Yep it was just another ordinary day.

He heard a strange whistling noise from his closet and went to investigate, only to find the most annoying thing ever. It seems that once again a wormhole appeared right in front of him.

“What the fuck?!?!” was all Curtis could say as he stared at the random wormhole that just popped up in his bedroom closet.

“No just no!” He then slammed the door and walked out of his room, the smell of fresh coffee was in the air.

“I don't have time for this, I need to get to work”

Curtis was twenty years old, about six foot five and had dark brown hair. He had on him some black jeans and shoes and a blue sweat shirt that clashed with his jeans. He slipped on his red over shirt and firmly clipped his name tag onto the left side of his uniform. He straightened out his glasses and let out a yawn.

He quickly opened the door to his single room apartment and picked up the newspaper that his local paperboy threw just moments before he got up.

He checked the time and shrugged, “I still have thirty minutes might as well read a bit and eat before leaving.”

Back in the kitchen, Curtis got out a bowl and some Honey Nut Cheerios and poured the sacred cereal from the box. He got out a small mug and went to pour himself some coffee, then going over to the sink; he picked up his medication and turned on the tap.

“Well Mr. Happy Pill,” Curtis said in a sing song tone of voice, “Time for you to work your magic and make my worries go away.”

Downing the small yellow capsule and taking a quick swig from the tap, he felt his depression go away a bit. Ever since he got out of that orphanage and started his life, he had been feeling down in the dumps. It might be the fact that he didn't know his parents, or it could be the fact that fire tends to both scare him and fascinate him at the same time. He wasn't so sure, he forgot about a month after having them.

He put the bowl of cereal and his coffee on the table and went to the fridge. His jaw dropped when he found out that he was out of milk.

“SON OF A BITCH!” Curtis shouted as he picked up his coffee mug and threw it against the wall in a fit of rage. It made a crashing sound as it shattered, the black liquid inside staining the white wall.

“Well damn... That was my last mug.” He said, calming down in a split second. Curtis suffers from mood swings from time to time, and he can quickly snap from being happy to wanting to slit your throat in three seconds.

Curtis plopped himself down with a thump onto the hardwood chair and began to read the paper, the headlines saying,

“Simple minded resident thinks the universe is out to get him”

No doubt it was talking about him.

“Local resident Curtis Brandstetter claims to being hunted down by the universe, as he constantly complains to the authorities about random wormholes that seem to appear around him. He has been warned not to call the police for such nonsensical claims and was threatened with jail time after what seemed like the fiftieth time he called them”

Curtis scrunched up the paper and threw it to the side. He let out a sigh and put his hands to his face.

“Ever since I bought this place, strange things seem to be happening,” He said to himself, “Worm holes appearing at random, strange scents floating from them, sometimes even hearing singing.”

“What the fuck is wrong with me, is it the pills or am I going crazy!” Curtis screamed to the ceiling. “NOW THE FUCKING WORLD THINKS I'M NUTS AND I MIGHT BE FACING JAIL TIME!”

He slammed his fists down onto the table with a bang. “If one more person calls me crazy I'll rip their nuts off!!”

Since Curtis started telling others about what he sees he has been getting nothing but grief, both from his co-workers and the random people he was forced to share the Earth with.

“I just want a moments peace, is that too much to ask!!!”

Curtis sighed once more, “Might as well just accept it, and go on with my life. I can't let things like this keep me down, it's unhealthy.”

Curtis picked himself off and went to his front door, “Screw breakfast, it was ruined anyway. NO FUCKING MILK!”

He slammed the front door and proceeded to walk to Staples, to restock the isles and to take shit from the customers. Even though he enjoyed his position at work, he hated when people go up to him with their holier than thou attitudes and proceed to tell him just how stupid he really was.

But it wasn't always that bad, sometimes a customer would take the time to talk to him, and they would thank him and leave. Those types of people always leave a smile on his face. He likes being praised, and loves to work. Nothing cheers Curtis up more than someone telling him he isn't all that worthless and that he himself is doing a good job.

“I wonder if Mitch is in today?”

Mitch, short for Michel was always kind to Curtis. The forty year old woman always took the time to talk with him every break time, and sometimes before he left for the day. She was the only friend Curtis had and she seemed to understand him more than most people. He liked her, she always put a smile on his face and made him feel better about himself.

“Mitch, reminds me of my mother...” Curtis said to himself as he walked down the sidewalk. His mother Jo-Anne was a kind and loving woman, and always looked out for him. But it wasn't supposed to last, as she died in a fire that burnt down his childhood home. That day will always be burned inside Curtis' memories. That was the day he got his fear of fire, and his fascination with it.

As Curtis grew up in the orphanage, he would always be in the corner lighting a match, only to snuff it out. He liked to think that he was killing the fire after birthing it. Curtis was a strange kid.

But that was all in the past, now he is a responsible adult with a well paying job and a nice apartment to live in.

Little did Curtis know, that was all about to change.

He must have lost track of where he was, because one minute he was walking and the next he was falling through the air.

Curtis looked behind himself and saw the random wormhole that was following him close. It took a moment for his brain to process that he was fucked. He screamed as he fell down from the clouds, the wind rushing past his face, tears streaming from his eyes as he saw his life flash before his eyes.

He would never see Mitch again, he would never see the customers again, and he wouldn’t see his favourite aisles stocked to the brim with merchandise again. The world was cruel and Curtis liked it that way, it gave him purpose and it gave him the strength to move on, but now all that was taken away from him. He prayed for a quick death and hoped his mother would congratulate him on a job well done in heaven. Never again would he taste his favourite cereal and have an ice cold glass of chocolate milk and a steaming hot mug of his favourite blend of coffee.

Never again would he be able to talk to himself in the mirror or punch his throw pillow whenever he got mad. He wouldn’t be able to go out and walk to the clinics again or take his medicine. How cruel the universe must be to take all that away from him.

He would miss his favourite soap operas on TV, and he wouldn’t be able to listen to Beethoven’s fifth on his spare time. Curtis let out a sniffle of sadness as all this hit him like a brick to the face.

Just then he saw something that made him snap out of his depressed state.

“MOTHER PISS BUCKET!!” was all he could say as he saw a fast approaching rooftop.

It wasn't any ordinary roof either, as one; it had a point, was red coloured and had a flag on it bearing a symbol of a winged unicorn with the sun behind it. And two; It was attached to a spire that was also attached to a castle.

Curtis felt his nose break as he smashed through the roof and into a small bedroom. He heard a scream and smashed right through the bed and through the floor, only to stop midway.

[*****]

Princess Celestia was minding her own business when she heard screaming. She paused and looked all around herself the noise got louder and louder.

“MOTHER PISS BUCKET!!” Was all she heard before a strange creature came crashing through her roof.

She let out a surprised scream as it smashed through her bed and landed with its upper torso embedded within the floor of her room.

“Oh god my nose...” The creature mumbled through the floor as it went limp and passed out. Celestia cocked her head to the side confused. The sound of hurried hoof beats sounded throughout the halls as a guard ran inside.

“Your majesty we heard a scream are you all... MOTHER OF CELESTIA WHAT THE HEY IS THAT THING! I apologize for my outburst princess.”

The guard stared in awe at the scene in front of him, there was Celestia staring at a strange thing that was halfway through the floor with its bum up in the air.

“I'm okay in case you're wondering, anyway, this thing just smashed through my roof and I'm afraid it might be injured or worse.”

The creature let out a small farting sound as Celestia backed away.

“Your majesty I don't think that is wise, we have no idea whether or not this thing is dangerous or not.”

“Well I don't think it's dangerous, have a room set up, and get some doctors ASAP.”

The guard hesitates but does what she says, dragging the creature out the hole with a pop, and out into the hallway before plopping it down unceremoniously to the ground as it let out a small grunt of pain.

Author's Note:

Constructive criticism is appreciated