• Published 7th Apr 2013
  • 1,381 Views, 49 Comments

Starry Night - ihatethisfreakingwebsite



Fluttershy's been acting a bit differently lately, and Twilight is determined to find out why. But what will she do when strange new feelings begin to arise?

  • ...
12
 49
 1,381

Chapter One

Chapter One

Twilight sat at the small table, with her half muffin eaten lying on the table. The recent events had been troubling her. Throughout her entire life, everything could be explained through science (other than Pinkie Pie, but she was an exception), and yet here she was, with something that completely baffled her almighty science.

She glanced up, noticing Pinkie Pie excitedly bouncing in her direction, a huge grin across her face. “Hey there, sadface! What’s gotcha down?” she called.

“What?...Oh, I’m fine, Pinkie.”

“Oh puh-lease! I know when somepony's not happy, silly-filly."

It was apparent to Twilight that there was no way she could get the annoying pink pony to leave her alone. Besides, Pinkie Pie was the only pony that she knew to ever defy science. Perhaps this was her area of expertise.

“Well, I guess there is something...”

“Ooh! A game! Oh boy... um... pineapple!”

“...what? No, no, Pinkie, it’s not a game. You see, I’ve been having this really strange feeling lately, that I can’t explain. It makes me happy, but-- no, it’s better than happiness. I just... I can’t explain it,” sighed Twilight, unable to put her frustration into words.

Pinkie giggled for a moment. “Silly Twilight! You know there’s nothing better than happiness.”

“But it was Pinkie, I promise,” insisted Twilight.

“Fine then. We can settle this with the happiness test!” beamed Pinkie, bouncing rapidly over to the counter, and returning with a cupcake in hoof. “Just eat this cupcake!” she called, shoving it into Twilight’s mouth. “See? Doesn’t that make you happy? Are you telling me it’s better than that feeling?”

Twilight spluttered, trying to respond, her mouth full of cupcake. Spitting out the remains of the sugary treat, she managed to finally speak. “Yes, Pinkie, it’s better than cupcakes. I can’t explain it well, but when I feel it... I just feel... good.”

"But, but....it's a cupcake." She said sadly.

Pinkie sat down for a moment, confused by Twilight’s insistence that there could possibly be something better than cupcakes. After a long silence Pinkie spoke in a serious tone she rarely used.

"Well... there is one thing that’s better than happiness and cupcakes, but...” As Pinkie placed her left hoof on Twilight’s shoulder, seemingly about to say something wise, she suddenly froze. She took off her hoof slowly and then she stared at it for a moment. “ITCHY LEFT HOOF!” she screamed, and suddenly bounced out of the building at top speed.

Twilight shrugged, knowing better than trying to figure out what Pinkie was up to, and walked out of the building, trotting towards the library.

When she arrived, Spike was just waking up. “Good morning, sleepyhead!” she called out to him. He groaned, and rolled over on his side. When he finally got out of bed and went downstairs, he found Twilight checking every nook and cranny. “Say, did you bring the constellation charts home yesterday?” she inquired.

“Uh... no. You had them when you were taking Fluttershy home, remember?”

“...horsefeathers. I must have left them at her cottage; I’ll be back by lunch, okay? Can you fix something for when I get back?”

“Yeah, sure.”


Twilight found herself knocking on the door to Fluttershy’s cottage once again. She had been pondering the recent events involving Fluttershy, and was becoming more and more confused. It seemed almost as if Twilight had been spending more time with Fluttershy, not the other way around.

Her plan of a simple, scientific answer didn’t seem too promising now. Maybe she should talk to Fluttershy about it, but she didn’t want to freak her out with a confession of “Hey, I get a strange feeling everytime I see you. Any idea why?”

“H-Hey, Twilight. You’re back... soon.”

Twilight yelped slightly as she was snapped back to reality. “Oh! Hi, Fluttershy,” she stuttered, feeling at a lost for words. “I think I might have left my... um... my charts! My constellations charts, I think I might have left them here last night,” she managed to spit out.
What is my problem? It’s like I’ve lost my ability to think rationally, she thought.

“I think they’re in my room. I’m sorry--”

“No, no! It’s fine!” Twilight interrupted, not wanting the pegasus to apologize for nothing. “You didn’t do anything wrong. I just need them back.”

“Oh, okay. I’ll go get them-- you can have a seat, if, um, you want to?

“Of course,” responded Twilight, feeling as nervous as Fluttershy usually was.

While Fluttershy fluttered up the stairs to go retrieve the constellation charts, Twilight had a seat. The cottage was nice and quaint, with some lovely paintings strewn across the wall. Normally she would admire the paintings in more detail, but Twilight had something else on her mind. All of these strange feelings and her loss of words earlier had something to do with Fluttershy, that was for certain. ‘But what? What about Fluttershy made her act and think so differently?’ She pondered. It simply didn’t make any sense.

“Here they are,” called Fluttershy as she came back into the room, delicately holding the charts in her mouth.

“Thanks!” responded Twilight with a grin. “I guess I’ll be going now.”

“Um... do you want to stay for lunch?” asked Fluttershy with a blush.

“I can’t. I’m sorry Fluttershy, but I told Spike to make me something already.”

“...oh. I guess I’ll see you later then.” mumbled Fluttershy, looking rather down.

Twilight thought for a minute.“Well... I guess I could stay for a little while and have some tea--”... Twilight had no idea what she was doing-- she needed to get back home to Spike but she just couldn't turn away from Fluttershy. Then she felt it...that warm feeling from earlier had returned. Twilight didn't know why, but there was something she liked about that warm and fuzzy feeling she got when Fluttershy was around.

“Yay!” Fluttershy called, her normally quiet tone lost for a more happy one. “I’ll make something right now! B-Be right back!”

Twilight smiled, switching her place from the couch to the table in the dining room. Fluttershy was a good cook; she was certain to make something good. She leaned back in the seat, and continued to ponder recent events.