• Published 7th Apr 2013
  • 1,380 Views, 49 Comments

Starry Night - ihatethisfreakingwebsite



Fluttershy's been acting a bit differently lately, and Twilight is determined to find out why. But what will she do when strange new feelings begin to arise?

  • ...
12
 49
 1,380

Prologue

Prologue

The wooden door softly rattled as Twilight knocked, eagerly hoping Fluttershy was in today. She would like some company along while stargazing tonight, other than Spike, who had a tendency to ignore her and just eat jewels all night. Of course, even if Fluttershy was out, she could always go to one of her other friends, but Fluttershy was the most likely of the group to actually pay attention.

Twilight snapped back to reality as Fluttershy opened the door with a nervous smile. “O-Oh! Hi, Twilight...” she said with her usual whisper.

“Hey Fluttershy! Wanna come stargazing with me tonight? The sky is just asking to be examined tonight, and I’ve got some great sketches from earlier that could use some colouring and detailing,” she said with a grin.

“Oh! Just you and me?” asked Fluttershy, slightly blushing.

“Yeah. Well, I mean, Spike will be there too.”

“Oh. S-Sure.” she responded, her original smile and blush fading into a slightly saddened look for a brief moment, before returning to her simple smile.

“All right. We’re set up right over on that hill...”


“And then, Fluttershy, you won’t believe what I saw. In the sky, the clouds were all gone. I could see every single one of the constellations! It was amazing! That’s where I made the sketch I’ve been working on,” Twilight rambled, abruptly stopping when she realized Fluttershy had fallen asleep. Giggling a bit, she stood up, stretching her legs. She enjoyed stargazing with Fluttershy, even if she wasn’t the most energetic pony around.

“Spike? Can you take the books and telescope home? I need to get Fluttershy back to her cottage before... before Angel begins to worry” Twilight whispered, shuddering as she remembered what had happened last time she had brought Fluttershy home this late. Spike nodded, and Twilight softly picked up Fluttershy, lying her across her back and beginning the slow trot to the edge of the Everfree Forest, where Fluttershy’s cottage was.

In fact, Fluttershy had been around her a lot, recently. She had shown up wherever Twilight went, and come to
the library at the most random of times. Of course, she enjoyed Fluttershy’s company-- that’s why she had invited her stargazing so much this week. She was a smart, kind pegasus, and was always around to listen to her science. But it still intrigued her-- was Fluttershy spending more time with everyone else, too? Or was it just her? Perhaps Fluttershy was lonely, but that still didn’t explain why she seemed a bit down whenever Twilight chose to invite Spike along for the stargazing trip too.

As she arrived at Fluttershy’s cottage, she shrugged it off. There was probably a simple, scientific explanation that she was too tired to think of right now. She pushed the door to the cottage open, glad Fluttershy never locked it, and made her way towards the bedroom. With a heave, she lay Fluttershy down on the bed, still slumbering. She was so peaceful, lying there, and Twilight began to feel a warm feeling-- one that she most certainly recognized, but couldn’t quite recall. What was it? She had felt it before, a long time ago, but never quite like this.

With a shake of her head, she put it out of her mind. After an uneventful return to the library, she told Spike goodnight and went to bed. But lying in bed that night, she couldn’t help but ponder over the strange feeling.