• Published 4th Apr 2013
  • 1,416 Views, 6 Comments

Scoot Along Sis - ObsidianPony



I don't have much to offer in life, but for my little sister, I'll give everything. For Scootaloo, I promise that.

  • ...
8
 6
 1,416

Chapter 1

Scoot Along Sister

It’s been a couple of years now since things changed in my life. And no I don’t mean joining the herd either, that was just the start of it.

I’ll be honest though even after I starting joining internet fandoms and the like I was never a very sociable guy; I didn’t not want friends exactly, I was just always uncomfortable in groups so the friends I did make weren’t many but we were always really close knit so it didn’t matter to us.

Anyways, when this whole thing started up I was in a pretty bad place; I’d lost my Mum about a year ago and I was not the kind of guy who was able to deal with that stuff in a hurry. Neither was my Dad, and it was driving a hell of a wedge right between us.

I tried not to let it bother me though and just powered on, because really what else can you do in life? Shit happens and there’s nothing we can do about it except not let it drag us down. But even though I knew that I was really hoping for something to give me something to work at or something to be happy about, because school had always been a bit of a dead end, I’m not thick or anything I just can’t manage exams too well.

Well I got something to change things up alright but let me tell you, when I started wanted for it what actually happened was the last thing on my mind.

It had gone dark by the time this happened; it’s not that uncommon round by where I live to hear groups of guys out on the streets being loud and obnoxious but they’re harmless enough, just a bit rowdy. Then again when you live down the road from a pub what do you expect?

So when I heard a thump in the backgarden I just thought that one of them was trying to take a short cut back home. Probably wouldn’t have thought twice about it but it only took a second for me to realise that there was constant bumping and rustling coming from back there.

I just rolled my eyes and figured one of them had either gotten so drunk he couldn’t figure out his way back over the fence or that somebodies cat had decided to wreak havoc on the bushes, which is always annoying for me because when that happens my own cat goes psychotic for the rest of the day.

At first it honestly looked like it was normal but just underneath a bush that leaned against our fence I could just about see a bundle thrashing about. I just went to carefully unwrap it, a cat had fallen in some rubbish obviously, but even before I reached out to it I could see the orange feathered wings flapping as they tried to untangle themselves.

Naturally, that got my attention. I’m not bird watcher but I’ve never heard of any bird with orange wings just showing up in some nowhere village. Escaped pet maybe?

Yeah, I was pretty much trying to force myself not to see the truth at this point, just trying to convince myself I hadn’t gone completely mad.

But yeah, no lying to yourself when you’re holding something that can’t exist.

By the time I held the little filly in my arms I was convinced that I was just having a lucid dream or something; I knew this setup, I’d read My Little Dashie (and cried) just like everyone else, I knew the way this started.
Still, I was going to enjoy it.

I took the little filly back to the living room, it wasn’t the warmest of nights and she was already shivering in my arms but she’d at least stopped struggling when I got her out of the blanket, I didn’t want to find out what a hoof to the face felt like even from such a little pony.

I set her down on the couch as gentle as I could then thought about putting the blanket around her again but I thought against it, she hadn’t seemed to like it too much before. But as soon as I put it down she was hugging it to herself so maybe that was what it was for rather than wrapping her up; I’d never had one but I knew about the idea of a security blanket, so I just let her do with it as she pleased.

I honestly thought she had drifted off to sleep she went so still. I decided that if I was indeed dreaming I could try to have some fun with it.

Cue me trying to make a TARDIS appear.

Three guesses whether it worked.

By this point I have to be honest I was kind of panicking. It looked like this really wasn’t a dream and it was certainly real enough for me to have physically held the filly and comforted her, what the hell was I supposed to do about this?
Luck must have a sense of humour because right when this was going through my head I heard my Dad pulling up in the car.

Any hopes I of hiding the filly where pretty much shattered when she heard the car pulling up and jumped up on the couch, trying to catch a glimpse of whatever the weird sound was.

As awkward as everything afterward was, Dad’s face was almost worth it. He doesn’t show much emotion usually, he’s just not that kind of guy, so to see him standing there, opening and shutting his mouth with his eyes looking like they’re about to pop at least got a laugh out of me and it even got a giggle out of the filly.

What followed wasn’t so fun.

I had to jump in with explanations before my Dad started asking because I figured he was more than likely going to shout the place down, he’s not the quiet type. I just explained the basics at first about how I’d found her and brought her into the house and that I didn’t know how she’d got there; all this had brought our two cats into the room, Merlin and Willow, without either of us noticing. While I was throwing out everything I knew about what had happened the two of them and the filly were examining each other, they didn’t seem to know how to react to each other.

“So anyway, I just couldn’t leave her outside so I brought her in.”

“Fine then but what the hell are we supposed to do with it-“

“Her name is Scootaloo.”

Ever have one of those times when you wish you could go back five seconds and clamp your jaw shut?
My Dad just gave me a raised eyebrow and asked how I knew that.

Admitting I was a brony had been easy enough to friends who were interested in the shows fanbase; I didn’t go around declaring it or recommending the show but if people asked if I liked My Little Pony I was casual enough about admitting it. Admitting it to my Dad was a whole other story; I felt like I was pulling teeth as I explained.

As per usual I couldn’t really read my Dad’s expression, he just stood there for a few seconds before he walked to the couch and sat down on the seat next to Scootaloo.

Or at least I assumed it was Scootaloo, the mane and coat matched and she was a Pegasus but then again, magical flying pony in my living room, who the hell knew anymore?

“So, her name’s Scootaloo?”

I hadn’t expected that to be his first question but I nodded anyway.

He stroked his hand down Scootaloo’s coat a few times, a lot like he just stroking a cat. Scootaloo giggled softly and wriggled around, snuggling further into the couch cushions.

“Anything special we need for her?” My Dad was actually smiling as he looked down at her.
I spluttered. Surely he couldn’t take it this well?

“Uhh, as far as I know she eats like normal horses except they eat sweets? Are you feeling alright Dad?” I was wondering now whether I’d thrown out the dream theory too fast.

My Dad just went right to the kitchen and came back with a carrot; he offered it to Scootaloo and she happily started munching on it.

“Well, looks like we have a new pet then.”

“She isn’t a pet.”

This was the first time I said something without being confused or panicked; if we were seriously going to be keeping Scootaloo until we could figure out what exactly had happened, she wasn’t going to be a pet.
My Dad was giving me a weird look.

“I’m serious: she talks, feels and thinks just like people do, if she was a little older you’d see it clearly but she’s even giggling right now! You tell me, when was the last time you saw a horse giggle?” My Dad nodded and looked down again at Scootaloo, who’d dosed off by this point.

The rest of the night passed surprisingly normal, I just sat and watched my television shows and Dad was on his laptop watching all the older shows he wanted. I was a little surprised that he had taken my watching My Little Pony so well but then again I guess if someone was going to relate to a teenage Brony, it would be a middle aged Trekkie.

When I headed off to bed I decided I’d take Scootaloo with me; there wasn’t really anywhere to put her and there was no way in hell the cats were about to share their basket. So I just let her snuggle down in my bed on the pillow next to me. That didn’t last long though, I’d barely even lay down before she was doing her best to wrap her hooves around me and I think I could feel her little wings flapping on my shoulders to try and curl around me proper. I just smiled and wrapped her in my arms; she was asleep almost immediately.

As happy as I was to be lying there with Scootaloo, inside my mind was racing; I had read this exact sort of situation in My Little Dashie and countless other fan fictions that had spawned off it. Did that mean they were true? Did this honestly happen often? What the hell was I supposed to do, just copy what they did? But the biggest one wasn’t a question but a simple fact.

The ponies in those stories never stayed.

I could feel some tears threatening to escape as I thought about that; Scootaloo was just about the cutest thing I had ever seen right there in my arms and I couldn’t bear the idea that we would lose her somewhere down the line.
But she needed us and she had already brightened my Dad’s day; for just a little while he had been recognisable as the Dad I knew and loved before Mum passed away and I had never felt so carefree in a long time when I was around Scootaloo.
No, I wasn’t planning on losing her if I could help it, and if it was true that there was really no way around it then when she went back she would have memories of the best damn Dad and big brother that you could find.

“That’s a promise.”

I don’t know why I said that aloud but I gently kissed Scootaloo’s forehead and finally let myself doze off. I can never remember my dreams but if I did have any that night I can tell you what they would have been about.