• Published 4th Apr 2013
  • 1,417 Views, 6 Comments

Scoot Along Sis - ObsidianPony



I don't have much to offer in life, but for my little sister, I'll give everything. For Scootaloo, I promise that.

  • ...
8
 6
 1,417

Chapter 2

By the time we actually started to run into any problems with Scoots it had been about a week; it felt a little bizarre to just go to college, suffer through lessons as normal, hang with friends then come back home to play with and feed a bright orange flying horse.

But it never mattered when I actually got to her.

Anyway, I came home one night and Scoots didn’t come running to throw herself into my arms like she always does. It didn’t really set off any alarm bells but it was a little bit disappointing, I’d grown used to the little ball of orange love that nearly knocked me over every afternoon.

But I ignored it and just dumped my bag by the door as I always did and went to get myself something to eat. We didn’t keep as much stuff just lying out in the open in the kitchen anymore in case Scoots ate something she shouldn’t.
But it seemed she really wasn’t interested in the food.

Scoots had her face pressed against the glass of our backdoor; I could tell by her reflection that her eyes were locked on the sky of clouds above and full of longing. This would’ve been hard to watch anyway but from what I could tell from the show.

No, I didn’t know that. Maybe she could fly and she was just a late bloomer, or will be rather. I didn’t know for fact that she couldn’t fly and I would support her dream however a guy with no wings could.

“Scoots, you okay?”

She tore her eyes right off the sky and nodded with a wide grin and, predictably, threw herself at me for a hug which I was all too happy to give. She clearly thought I hadn’t noticed anything and I wasn’t about to embarrass her, if she ever wanted to talk to me about it she would in her own time.

She was starting to talk now in broken sentences, which probably would have surprised me but honestly I was too busy being surprised that she spoke English. It was a good thing too, the last week had shown pretty clearly that I wasn’t very good at telling what a baby wanted, and so Dad mostly handled that.

But as I sat there with her on my lap absently scratching her ears I knew that she needed something to keep her spirits high.
And I couldn’t help a little grin as I thought I had just the thing.

I waited until just over two hours passed, which meant my Dad would be back any minute and wrote him a note explaining where I’d gone.

It was only a short bus ride to a retail park not too far from where we lived; one of these was a huge toy store that was part of some big chain.

I knew what I was looking for but that didn’t make finding it any easier. My Little Pony has never been too big around here so I honestly didn’t know if they’d have what I was after but it would absolutely make Scoots day so if they did it would be worth it.

In the end I got pretty lucky, they didn’t seem to have much organisation to their kids section but things stuck out in colours so it didn’t take me long to get what I was after.

I was actually a little surprised by the clerks questioning look as I made the purchase and it occurred to me that this must be how Bronies who bought the series merchandise must feel. Still, I ignored it and mumbled about it being for my sister.

By the time I got back Dad must have been back for quite a while because he and Scoots had both fallen asleep on the couch with Scoots curled up in Dads arms. I had to resist the urge to just go up and glomp both of them right there and instead decided that Scoots’ new toy would have to wait until later.

As it turned out I had to wait until the next day to actually give it to her. But not before I made my biggest mistake.
Now I made myself swear that I’d tell this story as it happened and that unfortunately includes the multitude of times I screwed up. On my way home that day to give Scoots her gift I made the first one.

Up above my head I could hear a flapping like bird wings. That didn’t seem to out of place but it didn’t take long before they had gotten way too loud to be natural; in the end I looked up into the sky and saw the glinting of armour. The royal guard was unmistakable.

This made no sense to me. I actually looked all around myself, expecting to see phones and cameras pointed at the Pegasus, to see children pointing and cheering while adults were confused and possibly even afraid but no, it honestly seemed that no one had seen him, and even right there I had a weird feeling that was exactly what was happening.

He didn’t stay though; whatever he was looking for (and I think I can guess what) he mustn’t have seen it because the next second he’d flown straight up and disappeared in a flash of light that, again, it seemed that no one noticed.

I ran the rest of the way back home and practically threw myself into the house, and promptly got a face full of excited filly.
As usual I was calmed by Scoots but the Pegasus was still lingering on my mind; would he find us? Did he have any clue where Scoots was? Did this mean that the Elements of Harmony or maybe even the Princesses were getting involved?


Scoots nuzzled her nose against my face as I sat with my head in hands. I smiled at that and nuzzled her back; I couldn’t blame them if they were involved, who'd give up on Scoots?

Then I remembered the reason I had wanted to get home before the Pegasus guard.

“Hey Scoots, do you want a present?” I grinned as her face lit up.
“Yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes-“ I put a hand over her mouth.

“Whoa there crazy filly, I think I get it.” I chuckled and went upstairs to get the plushie I had bought the night before. The plushie was all too familiar to me and would surely be to Scoots when she was older.

“Hey Scoots, there’s someone for you to meet.” I held out the plushie for her to take into her hooves. “This is Rainbow Dash, the coolest, fastest most awesome Pegasus that ever lived. She’s going to be your big sister one day, like I’m your big brother. She’ll teach you to fly Scoots, oh the things you two will do.” At this point I knew I was talking more to myself, Scoots was occupied with trying to hug the life out of the Rainbow Dash plushie anyway.

“Ah Scoots, you have no idea how much you and your friends will inspire people, the things they’ll create just because they can and you guys will give them that little push to follow their dreams.” By now I was fully talking to myself but believe me it was tempting to just break right there and admit everything to Scoots right there, everything I knew would happen and everything that had come from it.

I wasn’t deluded. I knew Scoots would find out about My Little Pony eventually and no doubt that it would be a shock; it was the moment I was truly dreading, when Scoots knew that she had a home and a family she could belong to, did me and Dad honestly have even a snowballs chance in Hell of being chosen to be her family?

“To hell with it.” I muttered aloud as I picked up the plushie Scoots had just thrown accidentally and deposited it back into Scoots’ hugging hoofs. “That doesn’t matter, we’ll enjoy our time together as long as we can Scoots.”

That was my mistake. I knew about the stories, the attachments and broken promises that would inevitably result from this but I was determined that I could beat it, after only a week it already felt like Scoots had always been here and I wasn’t about to let that go, to hell with destiny and fate be damned, I was going to keep Scoots and the world was going to accept that and deal with it.

I should have let her go then, I should have tried to catch the guard or at least get his attention, maybe even writing a letter to Celestia. Though where exactly the dragon fire would have come from is anyones guess.

I should have let her go.

Because then if I had, maybe everything that came after wouldn't have hurt so much.