• Published 4th Feb 2012
  • 1,210 Views, 38 Comments

Experiment: GENESIS - Typographical Error



A genetic experiment brings five Pegasi into a world filled with secrets and scientists

  • ...
1
 38
 1,210

Chapter 5

Chapter 5

The next morning, Sparkle came into their room again, the creepy smile still plastered on her face. She un-latched their cages and led them into the other room again. Once again, Dual put his hoof on his heart and pulled a feather out. The others followed suit. Sparkle stared at them while they did this. The smile fading just as it did yesterday. They stood in front of their doors, and the buzzer sounded. They did as they always did, laid down on the table, and waited for the scientists.

Blue heard the door open behind her. She didn’t give any indication that she heard it. She just laid still, waiting for him to appear. When he did, he started talking, telling her what she was going to be doing today, but she didn’t listen. He then pulled out a needle and inserted in into her front leg. He pushed the plunger in, emptying the whole syringe. The skin around the needle started to burn. Then he pulled it out, leaving a tiny jewel of blood seeping through her fur. Then he left the room.

For a few moments, she just sat there. She wondered what it was that she had been injected with. It was probably a calming agent, she thought. But if it was, what were they going to do to her? She could feel her pulse picking up. She was scared now.

Then, she saw a butterfly. Her eyes widened as she watched it settle on the table next top her. Its purple and pink and orange colors were the same as a sunset. It stayed there for a moment, then moved towards her hand. She felt its wings brush against her hoof, making her shiver. She smiled at it climbed up onto her hoof. It tickled her as it climbed up her leg, past her elbow, and stopped on her shoulder. She could feel it tasting her fur. It stayed still for a while, then moved towards her neck.

She could still see it, but she had to twist her neck to see it properly. This weird position made her notice something. Every place it had crawled, left a small red mark on her skin. A trail of red went down her arm, and ended at her neck. She started to wonder what it was, but then it started burning. She could see blood and smoke rising from her skin The butterfly rose off her neck and flew away, out of her sight. Panic rising in her throat, along with a piercing scream, she swatted at her leg. Blood started to seep down her leg, pooling on the table. Blood started to coat her hoof as she tried to stop the flow.

She began to feel lightheaded, but the blood continued to flow. The trickle picked up, turning into a stream. Her eyes slowly started to close, and her legs went numb, limply laying on the table. She heard a door open, and a scientist walked in, smiling down at her. She couldn’t believe it. They killed her. They had finally killed her.

A tear rolled down her cheek as she closed her eyes.

*****

When she opened her eyes, she was very confused. She was alive? How was she alive? Didn’t the loss of blood kill her? She looked down at her leg, but it was perfectly fine. There was no red, no blood, and no pain. She Stared at it, confused, then she looked around the room. A scientist was standing off to the right, his back turned to her. She tried to get up, but her hoof slipped off the table. The scientist turned around and smiled.

“Good. You’re awake.” he said, the smile still there. “I think that is enough for today.” He walked over and opened the door to the hallway. She followed, wanting, for the first time, to be in her cage. At least she was safe there. The scientist un-latched her cage, and she climbed in. She heard the latch fall back into place behind her, but she didn’t turn around.

She crawled as far back into the cage as she could, then curled into a ball. She had never felt like this before. what had they done to her? She could still feel the butterfly crawling on her fur. But she could still feel her skin burning away as blood flowed down her leg. She just wanted to lay there, not moving. But she had to get up. she had to show that she wasn’t beat. Not yet, at least.

She pried herself off the floor of her cage. Struggling to lift her head, she looked around the cages. All the Gens were back. It looked like she was the last to return. By their expressions she could tell they had the same treatment.

Red and Yellow were curled up in their cages, legs pulled close to their chests. Tears fell down Yellow’s face. Green was sitting with her back against the bars. She was shivering and her Eyes were staring straight in front of her, not seeing anything. She had been like this almost everyday since their capture. It hurt Blue to see it, but she couldn’t do anything to stop it. Finally, she turned to Dual.

Out of all of them, he was the worst. A blank, broken look sat in his eyes, barely contained tears sat within them. Wings pulled tight against his sides. His lips trembled slightly. He looked over into her cage, then shut his eyes tight and looked away. He turned his whole body away from her.

“Dual?” she called. “Dual, what is it?” He just shook his head in response, scooting farther away from her. She could feel rage building within her. What had they done to him? What did he see that cause him to be like this? She continued to stare at him until she heard the door open. Sparkle walled in, the eternal smile still present.

She paced as always, looking into each cage as she passed. She made notes on her clipboard as she passed. She finally stopped at Dual’s cage. She knelled down, peering into the cage. She cocked her head slightly as Dual moved away from her.

“It seems like the drug affected this one more than the others.” she said, prodding him through the bars of the cage. He shied away from her touch, shrinking farther back into the cage. “We will have to study the drug to figure out why it affected him more.” she said to no pony in particular. Blue just stared at her. How could she not see that he was in shock? She watched at Sparkle dropped down onto the ground in front of her. “You seem to have had the least reaction to the drug.” She peered into the cage, still smiling. “Why do you think that is?”

Blue shook her head. “I don’t know! You’re the scientist, you should know!” Sparkle just smiled at her.

“Maybe I am, maybe I’m not” she said. She got up and left them alone. Blue watched her go, wondering what she meant. She looked over at Dual, who was still facing away from her. Then she let her head fall on the floor, her eyes closing.

*****

She heard someone calling her name. At first, she thought it was a dream. But then she heard it again, and again. Finally, she was roused off the floor. She turned to see Dual looking at her. It was the middle of the night, and all the others were asleep. She turned back to Dual.

Even in the dark, she could see the pain in his eyes. Why was he looking at her like that? He continued to stare at her, like this was the last time, or the first time, that he had ever seen her. And she stared back, trying to find the answer she needed. Finally, he opened his mouth.

“I am glad that you are alright. Especially after what happened today.” he said, lowering his eyes. Blue was still confused.

“What did you see?” she asked, afraid now. “What did you see with the drug?” Dual shook his head. “Tell me!” she said, near panic. What it really that bad?

“Do you really want to know?” he asked. She nodded, slowly. Dual sighed. “If you really want to know.” He took a deep breath. “Well first, they injected me with that stuff. The drug, or whatever it is. Then the scientist left the room. Nothing happened for about five minutes.” Blue nodded. So far, it sounded just like her experience.

“Then, I saw you.” Dual said, not looking at her. “You just appeared next to the door. You came and sat down on the table next to me.” Blue couldn’t take her eyes away. “I wasn’t sure if it was real or not. Your eyes were so bright, and you were smiling at me.” Blue could feel herself blushing, but she didn’t care.

“Then, we started talking. You talked about our life back in Coltorado. About our lives here at the lab. I was happy, just to have somepony to talk to. We talked for about ten minutes. Then, you started to inch closer...” his voice trialed off. Blue started to feel self-conscious. Was this going where she thought it was?

“But then, you pulled something from behind your back.” Dual continued, shivering slightly. “It was a scalpel. You sort of, ran it down the sides of my face, touched my wings. I could feel how cold it was, how sharp. You said something like, “I have a present for you.” Then you...you...” he stopped. Blue couldn’t not listen. She wanted to know.

“You stabbed me. In the chest.” he said, his hoof hovering over the spot where it must have happened. “I could feel, and see, the point go in. I could feel the pain, the blood. I felt the blade hit my heart. But you didn’t stop there. You pushed the whole thing, including the handle, into my chest. You stared at it for a minute, blood on you hooves and face. What scared me the most, you were smiling, like you were enjoying this. You leaned forward and kissed me, on the lips. Then you said, “I love you, and good-bye.” You walked away, out of my sight, then my eyes closed.” He dropped his head, not daring to look at her.

Blue could cot believe it. That drug had caused him to think that she was killing him. Her, the one person on the planet that her trusted. And now he was shattered because of it. She wanted to turn away, but she couldn’t. She pushed her hoof through the bars. Dual looked up and saw the hoof. He smiled a broken, depressed smile, and pushed his own hoof through the bars. Stretching as far as they could go, they felt their hooves touch. Blue looked into Dual’s eyes.

“You know I would never do that, right?” He nodded. “Well then, let it go. It was just a dream, or something. It wasn’t real.” Dual nodded.

“It’s just, you are the pony I trust the most. Seeing you do that, it did something to me.” he said, head bowed. His hoof fell away. “It broke something. When I came to, I couldn’t even move. I felt dead. I felt hopeless.” He stopped talking, turning back to Blue.

“I felt the same way when I saw Orange again. This can’t keep happening. You guys are my family, and one of these days, it is going to kill me.” he said. He turned away from her. “I think you should get some rest. I have a feeling it is only going to get worse from here on out.” Blue nodded, even though he could not see her. She laid her head on her hooves. Then she remembered what Dual said about his blood on her hooves. She pushed them away from her, feeling dirty. She put her head down on the bottom of the cage. Her stomach growled. It had been a couple days since they were fed, and probably be a couple more.

Finally, after the sounds of Dual’s breathing slowed, sleep found her. Her dreams were filled with blood and knives.

*****

She was awoken by the sound of her cage being un-latched. Her eyes flashed open. What was going on? They usually kicked her awake first. She sprang to her hooves, looking around. Sparkle stood in the door of her cage, the smile absent. Blue felt her anger rise, along with some fear. “What do you want?” she asked loudly. Sparkle pressed a hoof against Blue’s lips. Blue looked down at the purple hoof on her mouth. This was closer to Sparkle than she had ever wanted to be. She stepped out of the cage and motioned for Blue to follow. Out of pure curiosity, Blue followed.

Sparkled walked around and un-latched the rest of the cages. Their occupants looked around confused just as Blue had. When they were all out of the cages, Sparkle looked them over. Dual, at the head of the group, was watching Sparkle with intensity. Blue could tell he was debating on weather or not to try to escape now. Finally, she opened her mouth.

“If you want to escape, you will have to follow me.”