• Published 4th Feb 2012
  • 1,210 Views, 38 Comments

Experiment: GENESIS - Typographical Error



A genetic experiment brings five Pegasi into a world filled with secrets and scientists

  • ...
1
 38
 1,210

Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Fog was rolling in from the Ponific ocean, blanketing the coast in a murky haze. They walked down the street, staring at the unfamiliar sights around them. The sun had not yet risen, so the streets were bathed in orange circles cast by street lamp. Their coats shown with the orange light and their mane and tails turned a dull grey. Their hooves made soft clops against the concrete, all of which seemed to be amplified against the silence. No pony was on the streets at this time, so they too advantage of it.

Sights and smells overwhelmed them. Jaws hanging open, they walked down the street. As they walked, a soft glow appeared on the horizon, signaling the start of a new day. But they had about an hour before the sun fully rose, so they continued to walk. They breathed in the small of food and drink, their mouths watering. A soft breeze ruffled their feathers and fur, bringing with it the scent of salt and sea life. When they reached the top of the hill, they gasped.

Spreading in front of them, as far as they could see through the fog, was San Foalsisco. Bright, orange street lamps created a grid of roads and buildings. All the lights ended at the ocean, sudden and abruptly. The glow of the slowly rising sun shown of the ocean, which was calm and relaxed. Looking around, they saw old, stone buildings rising and dropping with the mountains. Cloud houses floated in the sky, some had lights glowing in their windows. The city was built on a perfect grid, which was completely unnatural for the Gens. The only street that was curved, sat in the middle of the city. A tiny strip of curves hiding in a giant square.

Dual, still carrying Yellow, opened his wings, causing a blast of wind that sounded as loud as a gunshot against the quiet storefronts. He lifted of the ground, flying towards the only this that felt natural for him: something out of the ordinary. He heard the others jump off the ground behind him, following him towards the curves. Looking out over the bay, he saw a small island sitting in the middle of the water. Concrete buildings rose out of the rocks. It looked completely deserted. Dual filled it away for later use, if he needed it.

He dropped down, his hooves touching the curve of the street for the first time. The others landed next to him, taking in the sight. He walked over and read the name on the street sign. Lomponi Street.

Yellow jumped off his back, turning back towards the others. Dual started to walk down the turns, slowly breathing in the felling of being somewhere new, somewhere strange. The others followed, not wanting to disturb him. He was not mentally disturbed like Green, but he could still snap into bouts of anger. By the time reached the bottom, the sun had finally shown itself. He decided to sit and watch the sunrise, just like he used to. Blue came and sat down next to him, putting her fore-leg around his shoulder.

The sun finally broke free of the horizon. It stained the clouds, and the houses, in the sky shades of pink, yellow, and orange. He watched, felling his anger slowly ebb away, and the star that he so revered, showed itself once again. When the light reached them, he bathed in it’s warmth. He felt the hate and anger from yesterday slowly fall away, evaporated by the morning sun. He breathed in deeply, closing his eyes. The only thing he felt was the heat of the sun, and Blue’s leg around his shoulder. When he opened his eyes, he was staring into Blue’s.

“Feel better?” she asked nervously. He stood up on his hind legs, bringing her into a huge hug. She stood there, ramrod straight, then she slowly relaxed. She slid her arms around his waist, hugging him back. After a few moments, he let her go, a smile on his lips and in his eyes.

“Yes. Yes I do.” and he walked away. Blue just stood there. Dual had never hugged any one of them before. She had thought that he didn’t like ponies touching him. But now, what had changed? She thought she knew him. Maybe she didn’t.

Dual had turned his attention back to the sun. Something passed in front of it. Something that only their raptor vision could have picked up. Something black.

He gasped, turning back to the group. He grabbed Yellow and jumped up into the air, wings opening again. His look of panic and hate made the others immediately rise into the air with him. They flew into the air, stopping at about the same height as the cloud houses. Rushing, they hid behind one, letting their white coats blend in with the white clouds.

“What us is!?” Green asked, her eyes wide and scared.

“It’s one of those black Pegasi!” Dual responded. He poked his head around the house, but the Pegasus was gone. He scanned the city, looking for a place suitable for them to hide. His eyes landed on the island, the one in the middle of the bay. He nodded at the island, and the others agreed. He took of towards the island, the others flying in a V behind him.

His eyes scanning the sky around him, he saw no sign of the black Pegasus. But it had not just disappeared. But what scared him the most was; if he could see the black Pegasus, it could see them. They had to get out of sight as soon as possible.

The island slowly grew beneath them, eventually stretching to about a third of a mile. Low, concrete buildings covered the island, turning the bright yellow rocks, a dull grey. No lights shown in any of the windows, and no boats were docked in the harbor. He had been right, it was deserted. They slowly descended, spiraling down towards the top of the largest building.

When they landed, Yellow jumped off Dual’s back, her small hooves landing with a muffled crunch. Dual’s breathing was heavy and labored. Yellow may be small, but carrying her through the night and part of the day had taken it’s toll. Dual looked towards the docks. A large sign said, “Welcome to Ponitraz Island, Equestria’s Most Infamous Prison!” He smiled at the thought. Hiding out in a prison, while trying not to be taken back to one.

They dropped silently onto the ground, walking towards the door in the building. Expecting it to be locked, Dual bucked the wooded door, but it flew open and slammed shut again, causing Yellow to jump slightly. This time, he just pushed it open with his hoof. It creaked slightly, allowing them access to dark room beyond.

Blue gasped. A long hallway streched out before the. Each side was line with cells, heavy metal bars covering them. They walked down the hallway, memories flooding back to them. Some of the cells stood open, while others were still locked. Broken tiles and chipped walls adorned the cells, along with a small wooden cot.

Dual took a deep breath. “Well, it looks like this is where we will be staying, at least for a while.” his eyelids were drooping and his voice was quiet. He looked like he could pass out at any moment. Blue walked over to him, pushing him into one of the open cells. She pointed at the cot.

“You need to rest. I will deal with the rest of them, get food and stuff.” she said, pushing him onto the cot. “But you need sleep” she smiled and walked out of the cell. He closed his eyes. and was asleep before she was out of sight.

*****

He opened his eyes to the traditional sights and sounds. Sounds of yelling and kicking. Another day had dawned at the Lab. One of the scientists walked over and kicked his cage, even though he was already getting up.

“Oh, we have something big planned for you!” he taunted, a disgusting smile on his lips. Dual just stared back at him, his black irises dead. The scientist un-latched his cage, along with the others. They took the normal walk down the hall, nodding at Orange’s door, and standing in front of their own. The buzzer sounded, and they walked in.

But something was new in his room. The scientists were already there, holding a couple leather straps. They told him to turn around, and he did. They slipped the straps around his waist, and pulled them over his four wings. They were tightened until he could no longer move, and breathing was hard. Next, they started to inject needles into his waist and back. Needle aster needle went in, and he slowly started to lose feeling in his chest and back. Finally, he could feel nothing between his neck and hips.

They told him to lay down, and he did. He tilted his head up, not wanting to see what was going to happen. They started to talk, excited nonsense that Dual did not understand. Finally, they stopped talking, and he heard metal scrape against metal. Then, he felt pressure from the bottom of his throat, down his chest, and ending at his navel. He wondered what was going on, since they didn’t normally dull the pain. He felt more pressure, this time all the way up and down his chest. Finally, his curiosity got the better of him, and he looked down at his body.

His breath caught in his throat, which was followed shortly by a scream. he was looking down at his exposed chest cavity. He saw his heart, pumping blood, oxygen, and adrenaline into his system. He saw his lungs, expanding and contracting as he hyperventilated. He saw blood, lots of blood, as his cut skin bled into the open cavity. Looking down he could see straight to his stomach, which was distended from the lack of food. More organs than he knew the name of, sitting exposed to the air. He wanted to look away, wished he had never looked in the first place. He kept staring, and screaming, until he passed out.

*****


His eyes flashed open, instantly bolting into a standing position. He looked down at his chest, seeing the small, hairline scar that was left from that operation. He looked around, but no pony was there. He sighed, then walked back outside the cell. It was night, and all the Gens were asleep. Except one.

Blue was standing in front of a window. The moon reflecting off her luminescent eyes. She heard him walk up to her, but she didn’t turn around. Instead, she continued to stare out the window. The city of San Foalsisco was light up and alive. Ponies walked the streets, flew in the sky, and, occasionally, teleporting into existence. A small tear fell down her muzzle.

“Did you watch the sunset?” Dual asked. He was watching the city with her, envying the ponies that had nothing to worry about.

“I did, but it didn’t help.” she sighed, turning to face him. “What are we supposed to do now? Just keep moving every time we get attacked? We can’t keep doing that. I can’t keep doing that.” She shook her head, turning back to the window. “What are we going to do?”

Dual walked up to her and put his leg around her shoulder. “I don’t know what we are going to do. We just need to hide for a while, maybe they will forget about us.”

“They DID forget about us.” she whisper-yelled. “They did, and they came back. What makes you think, even if they do go away, they wont come back?”

Dual didn’t have an answer for her. He just stood there, his arm around her shoulder, for a long time. The moon slowly rose, casting a long, white reflection on the ocean. Orange had loved the night. He would watch the moon through the tiny window they had in their old prison. It was his therapy. His way back to sanity.

It had been quiet for so long, that Dual’s ears had stopped ringing. His legs had started to go numb, so he let go of Blue, and sat down. Blue stuck her head out of the window, then looked down. She froze, then slowly pulled her head back inside the building. She turned around, her eyes wide.

“They’re here.” she said, her voice barely more than a whisper. Dual rushed over and looked out. He couldn’t believe what he saw.

Down by the docks, covering the rocks and some of the buildings. Dozens of them, their eyes glowing against the black of the of the sky. Two ponies stood next to each other, apparently having a huge argument. One was orange, the other was unknown. He focused his hearing, and he could just barley pick it up.

“I don’t care if you don’t want them dead, if they try to escape, they will be killed!” they other pony yelled. Dual could tell it was a mare. “Now would you get out of my way and let me do my job?”

Orange looked like he was going to hit her, or worse. He spoke for the first time since he ‘died’. “No I wont! Did you forget where I came from? I don’t want them dead. Capture. Them. Alive.” he said, sparks practically shooting from his eyes. The Mare shook her head, backing up slightly.

“I will try my best. But I can’t guarantee anything.” she said, her head bowed. Orange looked happy.

“You WILL try your best, Supervisor Sparkle, or I will report you.” he turned away from her, walking back towards the docks. The Supervisor sighed, then turned towards the assembled Pegasi.

“You heard him. Capture them ALIVE. I don’t want them harmed, understand?” A collective shriek rose up from the Pegasi, shaking the building they were hiding in. The Supervisor looked happy. “Alright then. Go get them.”