• Published 4th Feb 2012
  • 3,616 Views, 50 Comments

Doctor Whooves Adventures - IHasApple

  • ...
1
 50
 3,616

The Missing Cutie Marks: Chapter 2

Outside of the Ponyville library was quiet, as one would expect from a library. The quiet, peaceful atmosphere that the old tree usually gave off remained undisturbed. Inside the library, however, was a very different story. Inside, a very confused and very frustrated Twilight continued to poke and interrogate the tan earth pony that made his way to the front door. She was still a bit upset by a certain turn of events, namely part about her nearly dying, and the bit about having a strange stallion in her house. While she was certain she would lie in bed tonight, thinking of all the horrid things that could have happened to her, right now she was focused on the mysterious colt in front of her.

"No, I mean, really. Who are you?" Twilight asked again. She was beginning to get frustrated.

"Like I said before, I'm the Doctor." the Doctor said, trying to open the front door of the library, only for Twilight to magically lock it with her horn.

Hah. He’s stuck. Nopony can open that door without magic. Twilight thought. The Doctor just rolled his eyes.

“Yes, okay. You’re a doctor, but doctor who?” Twilight eyed the colt with a stare that could rival Fluttershy. “You can’t just appear in my home, mess around with my laboratory, defeat some creature and walk out without giving me a proper name!”

Twilight stood in front of the Doctor and cleared her throat. She was hell-bent on making proper introductions. If there was going to be at least one thing normal, proper and orderly thing in this entire situation, it would be finding out this guy’s name.

"My name is Twilight Sparkle." Twilight said, holding out a hoof. The Doctor shook it.

“I’m the Doctor.” he said, smiling.

Twilight facehoofed. “The Doctor….” She mumbled.

"That’s me. Hello!" he replied, quickly whipping out his blue device, a “sonic screwdriver” as he called it and sonicing the door open. He put away the device and opened the door. “Goodbye!"

Twilight just stood there stunned as the earth pony walked out. How did he do that? He’s not a unicorn. There’s no way he could have opened that door! Not without magic. No, Wait, was the blue thing magic? Was it his horn? A portable horn? Could such a thing exist? And where the heck did her just put it? Wait. Where did he go?

She blinked her eyes and looked out the door. He was already in the far distance, turning a corner to leave.

"Hey! Wait up!"

Twilight Sparkle appeared in a burst of magic teleportation. The Doctor stopped in his tracks. This mare was persistent. He liked persistence.

“Where are you going?”

The Doctor walked around Twilight, continuing his little trek across the street and into the market. Twilight followed closely beside him. Ponies crowded around the stalls and vendors that were open for business. On the left, there were street merchants that had things such as jewelry, pottery and the like. On the right side of the street, were the food vendors. Fruits, vegetables and fresh bread were spread out for purchase as the two ponies passed by.

"Well, I'm trying to track the origin of the energy reading I intercepted. I found a similar energy reading, so I followed it to your home. Turns out it was just a byproduct of the original source."

The Doctor took out his sonic screwdriver again and starting pointing it at random ponies and things. He got a couple odd looks from ponies that apparently didn't like flashy blue things going "Whirr" pointed in their general direction. He looked down at his readings.

Twilight had decided to just go along with the Doctor’s quirky antics. His name she could find out later, right now, she was interested in knowing who had made that parasprite, and why they had sent it on her?

"So, why do you think someone would create such a powerful parasprite to attack me?" Twilight pondered as she and the Doctor wandered through the marketplace.

"You tell me."

“What?”

“You said you think someone is trying to kill you. You tell me why someone would want you dead.” The Doctor looked at his readings. "Got any enemies?"

Twilight thought for a second. "Hm... Not really. I mean, there was that one showpony unicorn, Trixie. She didn’t like me, but I doubt she could do any real science like that. Although it’s possible she got somepony else to help her do it…"

“A rival unicorn with help from a scientist. Good. That’s a good theory.” The Doctor said. Twilight swelled with pride. She was good at deducting things. She was probably the smartest pony in Ponyville. If there was anyone who could solve this mystery, it was Twilight Sparkle!

“But it’s not Trixie.”

Twilight was taken aback by his bold statement. What right did he have to say what was right and wrong clearly an unclear scenario? Then again, she had underestimated his twice before, and both times he had come out victorious. She decided to keep cool and calmly ask why he thought what he thought.

“What? How do you know that?”

The Doctor didn’t respond. He kept his focus on his screwdriver. He looked up to the distance. Something intrigued him. His face held a look of confusion. When Twilight looked over, however, she saw nothing.

“Doctor!?...”

Reality snapped back into his head. His concentration broke away from the distance and back to Twilight. “I’m sorry, what?”

“How are you so sure it’s not Trixie?”

“Because it’s not from anything pony. Well, not anything pony alone, anyway.” The Doctor put away his device for now and walked over to a cart of vegetables. He began to examine the produce.

“And just how do you know that?”

“Because the data sheets say so.”

He turned around and whipped out a long piece of paper with readings and data on it. To him, it was a code of alien origin that he had intercepted and traced back to earth. To Twilight, it was a huge mess of numbers and symbols with a few recognizable patterns. Twilight pushed the paper away. She didn’t want to look at data that she couldn’t read. In her time learning under Celestia, she had learned every code and signal pattern in all of Equestria. This was the first page of data and info she didn’t understand. Although she would never admit it, it made her feel stupid. She felt inferior. She wanted to doubt it was legible in the first place, but something told her he was telling the truth.

Twilight sighed. “Okay, then if it’s not pony, what is it?”

The Doctor put down the carrot he was holding and turned to face the purple unicorn. “Alien.” He put simply.

Twilight had a look of confusion on her face. “Alien? Like what? Zebra? Donkey?”

The Doctor continued his walk through the food vendors and over to the sales merchants. “No no no, more alien than that. I mean like alien aliens.”

Twilight’s look of confusion slowly melted into one of realization and disbelief. He couldn’t really mean those kinds of aliens, could he? It would explain a lot, but still. Aliens are just science fiction! They aren’t real, right?The less and less he made sense, the more and more Twilight believed him.

"You don't mean..." she stuttered.

The Doctor looked up from the gems he was sniffing. "Mean what? Extraterrestrial beings that came here from space? Yes!” he said with a much too excited face.

“I’m sorry, Doctor, but there’s no-“

Suddenly, a scream pierced the air, interrupting Twilight! Both she and the Doctor turned to the direction the scream came. Ponies around them looked as well and talked in a quiet murmur. They both looked at each other, Twilight with a look of surprise and horror. The Doctor was smiling ear to ear.

“What was that?” Twilight worried.

“I don’t know, but it sounds interesting!” He continued smiling as he turned away to the general direction of the scream. “Let’s go find out!”

And with that, he was off in a gallop.

“Hey!” Twilight coughed in the dust he had stirred up, “Wait for me!”


The two ponies took in the sight before them. Inside of the store/home of Lyra and Bon-Bon, lay the chocolate maker herself on the floor. She was conscious, but looking deathly ill. She was pale white and shaking visibly. Beside her, Lyra was watching her friend as other ponies already started to gather around them. Everypony pretty much knew about Lyra and Bon-Bon, so they understood why Lyra would be so worried. What they didn’t understand, was what was happening to Bon-Bon. They looked on with worry and curiosity. Twilight and the Doctor fought their way inside.

“Is… anyone here a doctor...?” Lyra pleaded through tears.

The Doctor made his way to the center of the crowd. “Stand back, give her some room!”

The Doctor pushed his way into the middle and knelt down. He looked over Bon-Bon’s current state. She was shivering horribly and looked very cold, even though it was rather warm out today. Her face was white as a sheet.

“What’s your name?” The Doctor said to Lyra as he pulled out the first tool that Twilight finally recognized: a stethoscope.

“L-Lyra” the green unicorn said, holding back tears. She looked back down at her ill friend.

The Doctor checked Bon-Bon’s breathing and heart rate. Breathing stuttered, heart rate extraordinarily high. “Ooh. Lyra.
That’s a nice name. Ly-ra.” Twilight pondered where the Doctor kept such a tool as he put away his stethoscope.

“Her name?” The Doctor put his hoof to her head as he looked into her eyes. “Eyes normal…”

“Bon-Bon.”

“Good name. Tell me what happened.” Out came the sonic screwdriver again. The Doctor really likes using this tool, Twilight thought. Well, it opened the magically locked door, must have other uses.

Lyra tried to calm down enough to speak. “Well, we were just making ou-, I mean making chocolates as usual. She was testing some of the chocolates she made, when she fell over just like that!”

The Doctor looked at his screwdriver. “Has this happened before?” he asked Lyra.

Lyra stopped and looked down, thinking. She blinked once or twice, but remained motionless, still carrying a look of worry in her eyes. The Doctor looked up at her.

“Has this happened before!?” The Doctor yelled at the unicorn. If she hadn’t already been tearing up, she would certainly be now

“I... I don’t know!!” Lyra broke down into a sobbing mess This is getting out of hoof. Twilight thought.

“Doctor!” Twilight scolded the tan earth pony. She gave him a glare as she knelt down to comfort Lyra. The Doctor put away his sonic screwdriver with a slight frown.

“I’m sorry.”

As Twilight shushed Lyra and told her everything would be fine, the Doctor continued to examine Bon-Bon.

"Erm... Twilight? Is there spell or something that make one's cutie mark vanish?"

Twilight looked deep in though for a moment. "Well, hypothetically, you could, but it wouldn't last very long. A few seconds, perhaps..."

The Doctor counted to four. "Twilight..." He pointed at Bon-Bon's flank. "Her cutie mark is missing."

Sure enough, Bon-Bon's cream coloured butt was bare. No mark.

Twilight gasped. "How is that even possible?"

The Doctor stood up, dusting himself off.

"I have no idea."