• Published 19th Mar 2013
  • 2,471 Views, 30 Comments

The Past Returns - Robobrony



Nightshade has returned to his love Twilight, but soon something from his past will return as well.

  • ...
17
 30
 2,471

Two Hearts Re-united

The Past Returns
Chapter 1: Two hearts Re-united

Dear Twilight Sparkle, ever since I sent you back home, my heart has been aching terribly. I said that the reason we cannot be together was because of the fear I held onto of being around other ponies. As I said, such a fear I’ve had for two thousand years cannot simply go away over night, but that does not mean that it can’t go away at all. I know I never said it to you, and I regret that I cannot say it to you in pony, but I love you Twilight Sparkle, and I always will. As a promise that I will work hard on trying to get over my fears that keep us apart, I leave with you the very flower that brought us together. And as a thank you to you and your friends, I leave with you these lunar lily’s, one for you and each of your friends. We will be together again Twilight. I promise. Your love, Nightshade.

She lowered the note to show her face with tears forming in her eyes, but this time, there was a smile on her muzzle. Spike grew curious about the flower in the middle. “Twilight, I recognize those white flowers there, but what’s that pink one?”

She kept her smile as she looked upon the flower and simply stated. “A promise.”

It’s been a month now since Twilight found those flowers on her doorstep that fateful night with the note attached to the pink flower from the stallion who saved her life and stole her heart. She resolved to wait as long as it took for him to return. Twilight told her friends about what happened that day and were very sad that it would be a long time before they would get to see their new friend again. But they held on to that hope that he would come back.

It was around midday and Twilight was in her room tending to her two flowers and remembering fondly of that strange cloaked pony she met. She gazed upon the iron root flower as she thought back to the times she shared with him, how caring he turned out to be, even though he wouldn’t admit it at first. The laughs they shared, the tears they shed, the secrets he finally told her and her friends, that kiss when he admitted how alone he was and finally ready to give up his life. That very kiss after her confession to him finally melted his cold heart after two centuries of loneliness and solitude. Finally, that magical night he showed her before they parted.

Sadly, it was time for her to stop reminiscing and get back to her studies. After the night she was given those flowers, she was finally able to let herself feel some joy at being home again after so long, to be surrounded by the books she loved, even though she had plenty of books to read while she was under his care. She made her way over to her desk and began going over a book she had sitting on it. Meanwhile, Spike was downstairs tending to his own chores in the library so Twilight could study. He went about the library organizing returned books, dusting the shelves, and sweeping the floor, when suddenly there was a frantic knocking at the door.

Spike made his way to the entrance to greet a potential customer, but just as he reached the door, before he could open it himself, it flung open and a figure quickly rushed in and slammed the door behind it, knocking Spike back and making him land on his bottom. “Hey, what’s the big idea!” He cried out in annoyance. He picked himself up and looked at the pony that so rudely barged in to scold them. “Just what do you think you’re-“ but before he could finish his sentence, he seemed to be struck with a sense of familiarty as he looked at the figure as it seemed to look out the window rather frantically. The figure finally turned to Spike and he could swear he saw this pony before. The figure was wearing a blue cloak that covered his face, but his muzzle was sticking out. The cloaked figure had a blue coat and black hooves, with a dark blue tail sticking out the back of it’s cloak.

Spike gazed at the figure in surprise. He rubbed his eyes to make sure they weren’t playing a trick on him, when he looked again, Spike just had to make sure that what he was seeing was real. “Nightshade, is that you?”

The figure raised a hoof and removed its hood to reveal its facial features. It had a dark blue mane, two horns atop it’s head that curved back, and light blue eyes with slited irisis like a cat’s eye’s. The figure finally spoke. “Hey Spike, long time no see huh.”

Spike still couldn’t believe it. Standing before his very eyes, in the library, was Nightshade. He understood Twilight when she told him that Nightshade was going to work hard at getting over his fears of towns and ponies, but he never imagined that he would see Nightshade so soon. “Nightshade, I can’t believe it, I’m so glad to see you again!” Spike ran over and gave Nightshade a hug to welcome him back.

Nightshade couldn’t believe that Spike seemed to miss him so much, but he was glad to see the little dragon too, so he wrapped a hoof around Spike to hug him back. “It’s good to see you again too little buddy.”

“HEY, We’ve gotta tell Twilight! She’s missed you WAY more than I have.”

Nightshade didn’t want to say hi just yet. “Hold on ther little buddy, not just yet.”

Spike was confused. “What, why not, don’t you want to see her?”

“Of course I do, she’s the whole reason I came here. I just wanted to think up a fun way to surprise her.”

Spike got a great idea. “I know how, she’s up in her room studying. When she’s busy studying, she's pretty much oblivious to anything else. But there is always a way to get her to at least respond, when I tell her she has a visitor. We’ll go upstairs, I’ll tell her there’s some pony here to see her, she’ll say something to dismiss it, then you can chime in and see if that works.”

Nightshade liked this idea. “That sounds perfect, let’s do it.”

Spike led Nightshade up the stairs to Twilight’s room. He opened the door and walked in with Nightshade behind him. Just as he predicted, she was hard at work, reading. Spike cleared his throat first to get her attention. “*AHEM* uhm, Twilight, there’s some pony here to see you.”

Twilight never took her eyes off of her book. “Spike, you know I can’t be bothered when I’m studying.”

This was Nightshade’s chance. “Jeeze, and I thought I was a bookworm.”

This made Twilight pause her reading. Something about that voice sounded all too familiar. She looked up from her book as her mind was filled with nostalgia. She slowly turned her head to see who had spoken to her. Her eyes came to rest on an all too familiar figure. Standing before her, in her library, in her room, was a stallion with a blue coat dark blue mane and tail, black hooves, beautiful light blue eyes, black hooves, and even though she couldn’t see them, she was positive that , under that blue cloak, was a pair of dragon like wings. Her eyes began to tear up and she said softly, “Nightshade”,

He looked at her and responded back. “Hey Twilight, I kept my promise, I’m back.”

She cried out in joy as she burst into tears, “NIGHTSHADE” and ran to him, tackling him to the ground, and kissed him fiercly as her head and heart were filled with joy that her love had come back for her. Spike took a few stepps back from the scene and gagged a little. He loved romance when it came to him and Rarity, but any pony eles, it kind of grossed him out, especially when it came to Twilight and some other pony. They are practically brother and sister after all.

The two held their kissing embrace for a minute after being re-united after what felt like an eternity to Twilight. They finally broke their kiss and Twilight looked down at Nightshade, still crying tears of joy to see him again. “OH, Nightshade, I missed you so much, I can’t tell you how happy I am to see you!”

Nightshade was practically in tears himself as he spoke next to express his feelings. “I missed you too Twilight. I feel so stupid that I let my fears keep me away from the mare who showed me such love. I’ve waited too long to finally say this to you in pony. I love you Twilight Sparkle, and I promise to never leave you again!”

“OH Nightshade!” And once again their lips met in another passionate kiss.

Spike had seen enough and decided it was time to leave. “EEEWWWWE gross, I’m outta here, I can’t handle this mushy love fest.” The couple never seemed to notice Spike when he said this as he made his way out of the room to leave them alone.

The lovers finally broke their embrace after a few seconds. Nightshade spoke up. “Um, Twilight, it’s great to see you again and all but, could I get up now.”

Twilight felt a little embarrassed when she realized that she was still on top of Nightshade. “Oh, sorry.” She backed up to let him stand. Once Nightshade was standing, he looked at her as she wiped away the tears in her eyes with her hoof. She then remembered something about the promise Nightshade made to her. “So, does this mean that your finally over your fears of towns and other ponies?”

“Not really.”

Twilight took on a slightly confused look. “What do you mean, if you’re not over your fears, then how are you here.”

He knew his answer would really get to her. “You see, a few days after I sent you home, I began to try to get over my fears by going into a town here in Equestria just to get used to being around others, but every time I looked at the ponies faces, it sent me back to that night when I lost everything. I was feeling so scared, I just wanted to teleport back to my house in Blackwood forest. But then, just before I did, a thought popped into my head, that thought seemed to help lessen my fear. The more I concentrated on that thought, the less I was afraid. That thought is what helped me to fight off my fears.”

Twilight just had to ask. “What was that thought Nightshade?”

“It was you Twilight, the thought of you helped me fight off my fear. The more I thought of being with you, the less scared I felt. So then it hit me. If just thinking about you could help me fight off my fear a little, then being with you could help me get rid of my fear completely. So, here I am. As long as I’m with you, I won’t have anything to be afraid of, you give me the strength I need to conquer my fears.”

Twilight smiled even bigger at Nightshades words. She moved closer and gave him a kiss on the cheek. He blushed again and Twilight noticed. “Still!”

“Hey, give me a break, I’m new to this whole romance thing, jeeze.” Twilight laughed at her coltfriends embarrassment. Nightshade began to laugh along with her.

Twilight then thought that now would be a good time to let their friends know of Nightshades return. “Come on Nightshade, let’s let the others know your back.”

“Actually, how about I stay here and you go and get them.” Twilight gave him a look as if to say ‘Are you serious’. Nightshade saw this and got the hint. “All right, all right, I’ll come with you.” Nightshade placed his hood back on over his head and followed Twilight out of the library to find their friends to let them know the good news of Nightshade’s return.

Author's Note:

I hope you like it so far. I know there isn't much now, but there is more to come. Hope you enjoy the story.