• Published 19th Mar 2013
  • 2,472 Views, 30 Comments

The Past Returns - Robobrony



Nightshade has returned to his love Twilight, but soon something from his past will return as well.

  • ...
17
 30
 2,472

The Welcoming Party

The Past Returns
Chapter 3: The Welcoming Party

After spending the day letting his friends know that he had come back and spent the afternoon alone with Twilight, Nightshade went home for the night. He came back the next day to see Twilight again to spend time with her. Nightshade knocked on the door of the library, still wearing his cloak as he was still wary of being around others, and Spike answered the door. “Hey Nightshade, good morning.” He said with a smile.

Nightshade smiled back and greeted his little dragon friend. “Hey Spike, good morning, is Twilight around?”

Spike stepped aside to let Nightshade into the library. “Yeah, she’s upstairs in her room getting cleaned up.”

Nightshade was anxious to see his new marefriend. “Guess I’ll just wait for her then.” He didn’t have to wait long though for as soon as he said that, Twilight came out of her room and saw Nightshade.

Her heart filled with joy at seeing her coltfriend. “Nightshade, good morning.” She quickly made her way over to him and he greeted her.

“Good morning Twilight, it’s great to see you again.” They gave each other a quick kiss on the lips.

Twilight then had a thought. “Hey Nightshade, would you care to join us for breakfast, were having oatmeal.”

Nightshade was just glad to be with the mare he loved, so he gladly accepted the invitation. “I would love to.” Spike and Twilight made their way into the kitchen to start making breakfast while Nightshade took the opportunity to look through Twilight’s book collection. He started with the shelf closest to the door and made his way around the library, one book seemed to catch his eye. He paused, levitated the book off the shelf and read the title out loud. “The legend of Nightmare Moon.” Curiosity got him as he opened the book to read more. He read it to himself as he waited for breakfast.

The Legend of Nightmare Moon

A long time ago, harmony in Equestria was maintained by two princesses. Celestia raised the sun and brought daylight to the world, and Luna raised the moon every night and brought peaceful rest to the ponies. One day, Princess Luna grew jealous of her big sister, for while the ponies frolicked and played during the day, they slept through and shunned the night that Luna brought. One night, Luna refused to lower the moon and make way for the sun, her jealousy and bitterness turned her into a wicked mare of darkness known as Nightmare Moon. Celestia had no choice but to use the elements of harmony to banish her now transformed sister to the moon, where she would stay for a thousand years. If Nightmare Moon should ever return, she would bring about everlasting night.

The End

Nightshade got curious and worried about this story. “Wait, two princesses.” He spoke to himself. “But I thought there was only one, and what are these elements of harmony?”

Before he could think any more on the matter Twilight called out to him. “Nightshade, breakfast is ready.”

Nightshade thought to himself again, “Guess I’ll have to ask Twilight about this.” He made his way to the Kitchen table and sat down to join Twilight and Spike for breakfast. As they ate, Nightshade decided to ask Twilight about that story he read. “Twilight, while I was waiting, I found an interesting story I wanted to ask you about.”

Twilight looked up from her meal and looked Nightshade in the eyes. “What is it Nightshade.”

He began to tell her of the story he read. “Is it true that a long time ago there were two princesses here in Equestria? I was reading this book called The legend of Nightmare Moon and it spoke about a princess Luna who was the younger sister of Celestia and she turned into some sort of monster and was banished to the moon with the power of these things called the elements of harmony. If what that book says is true, what will you do if this Nightmare moon comes back, will these elements be enough to stop her again?”

Twilight laughed a little as she saw he was genuinely worried for her home and country. She decided to tell him all about it to ease his worries. “It’s ok Nightshade, that thing with Celestia banishing Nightmare Moon happened a thousand years ago, not too long ago, she returned and me and our friends found the elements of harmony and turned her back to normal. Nightmare moon isn’t a threat anymore. Princess Luna is good now and no threat to Equestria.”

Nightshade still had a question left unanswered. “So then, what are these elements of harmony?”

Twilight continued with her lesson, knowing full well that Nightshade might be surprised that she was one of the representatives of the elements of harmony. “You see, the elements of harmony represent the qualities that best represent harmony, they are magical items that draw power from the bearer that best resembles the elements. There are six in all. Rarity represents generosity, Rainbow Dash represents loyalty, Fluttershy represents kindness, Applejack represents honesty, Pinkie Pie represents laughter, and I represent magic.”

Nightshade was impressed that the mare he loved was a bearer of such powerful magical items, as well as his friends. Then he remembered something else he wanted to tell Twilight, something he knew she would love to hear. “Twilight, there’s something else I want to tell you.”

Twilight looked up at him from her bowl. “What is it Nightshade.”

Before he could talk, there was a knock at the door. Twilight got curious as to who would be coming to the library today, it was a Sunday and she had the library closed on a sunday. “I wonder who that could be?” She got up and made her way to the door to greet her visitor.

When Twilight opened the door, she saw her hyper active pink friend Pinkie Pie there wearing a basket on her head filled with pink envelopes jumping up and down with excitment. “Hey Twilight, I’m here to drop off an invitation to the party to welcome Nightshade back. There’s one for him too, could you give it to him if you see him.”

Twilight figured Pinkie would be glad to give Nightshade his invitation herself, so she told Pinkie that Nightshade was already present. “Actually Pinkie, Nightshade is here right now, you can give it to him yourself.”

Pinkie quickly zipped in to the library and stopped right in front of Nightshade who was very surprised to see Pinkie move so fast. She hopped up and down in excitement to see him. “Here you go Nightshade, an invite to the party to welcome you back. I just know were going to have a great time.”

Nightshade smiled at her as he levitated one of the envelopes from the basket atop Pinkies head. “Thanks Pinkie, I’m looking forward to it.”

“Well, gotta go, plenty more invites to hand out, see ya later this afternoon at three o’ clock. OH, before I forget, here’s an invite for you too Spike.”

Pinkie lowered her head so Spike could take an invitation to the party. “Thanks Pinkie, I can’t wait.” Then Pinkie zipped back out before anypony could say good bye.

Now that Pinkie was gone, Twilight remembered Nightshade had something to say. “So Nightshade, what were you about to tell me?”

Nightshade then had a great idea. “Actually Twilight, this is news that all our friends should be aware of, so I think it can wait until the party, trust me this is something every pony will want to hear.”

Twilight got really curious then at what this news was that every pony would want to hear it, but she was just going to have to wait for the party for Nightshade to reveal his secret.

After the three finished their breakfast, Spike went out to see if he could help Rarity around her shop, while Twilight and Nightshade decided to head out and Twilight could give Nightshade a proper tour of Ponyville. He still wasn’t too comfortable with being in a town, but as long as he was with Twilight, he felt he could face anything.

Twilight pointed out all the places of interest while Nightshade just looked on at some of the things in town he had never seen before, such as the town’s clock tower. He asked Twilight about it, what it was and how it worked. Since he had lived in a forest for two thousand years away from civilization, he had no idea of the concept of electricity or clocks. Twilight couldn’t help but giggle at her coltfriend’s amazement at such things.

Lunchtime rolled around and Twilight thought it would be a good idea to take Nightshade to one of the local restoraunts for lunch. “Why don’t we grab a bite to eat, my treat.”

Nightshade was a little apprehensive at going to a place where he would be in close proximity to others, but he would tough it out for Twilight’s sake. “Sounds good, I guess.”

Twilight led him to a place called The Hay Bale. They went inside and one of the pony waiters greeted them.
It was a mare earth pony with a white coat and a pink mane, her cutie mark couldn’t be seen as it was covered up by her uniform. “Welcome to The Hay Bale, how many in your party?”

Twilight answered. “Two.”

The waiter then noticed Nightshade and eyed him curiously. Nightshade just recoiled a bit and turned his head to the side, hoping that she wouldn’t see his eyes. The waiter just had to speak up. “Is this your coltfriend?”

Twilight happily answered. “Yes he is, but he’s a little shy, that’s why he’s wearing a cloak.”

The water thought it was cute that a big stallion like him was so shy that he would wear something to cover himself up. “Aaawwee, well, I’ll show you to your table. Right this way please.” The couple followed the waiter through the place while Nightshade was still apprehensive as others seemed to keep looking at him curiously.

The waiter led them to a table on a patio outside the establishment so they could enjoy the beautiful day while they ate. She handed both of them menus and asked what they would want to drink. Nightshade eyed the drink choices on the menu curiously as he had never heard of any of the choices on there. Apple cider, carrot juice, fruit juice, he did want to try something new but wasn’t sure what they would taste like. He looked at Twilight as if to say, “Why don’t you choose for us.”

Twilight got the message. “We’ll have two glasses of fruit juice, thank you.” The waiter wrote down their drink order and went back inside to get them. As Twilight went through the menu, she heard something rattling. She looked across the table to see Nightshade was shaking a little, causing his menu to do the same. She went over to him to see what was wrong. “Nightshade, are you ok?”

Nightshade quickly looked to his side to see Twilight there. “Huh, oh yeah, I’m ok.” He lied and Twilight could tell. He was still a little frightened of being around others like this.

Twilight was starting to have second thoughts about her choice. “Maybe this wasn’t such a good idea, we can go back to the library and have lunch there.”

But Nightshade didn’t want to disappoint her. “No, it’s all right, really. Besides this is our second date and I wouldn’t want to ruin it. As long as your with me I can face anything.”

Twilight smiled when Nightshade said this and gave him a big kiss on the cheek. This time, he didn’t blush and Twilight noticed. “You didn’t blush, does this mean you’re finally over that?”

Nightshade smiled back at her and responded. “I am.”

The waiter finally came back with their drink orders and the couple was ready to order what they wanted to eat. Twilight figured Nightshade still wouldn’t be too sure about what to ask for so she ordered for them again. “We’ll have two salads please.” Twilight stayed next to Nightshade for the rest of their lunch date so he would feel at ease a little. Nightshade enjoyed the juice and salad Twilight ordered for them as he practically swallowed his drink down in one gulp after his first initial taste, and gobbled up the salad that was placed before him. Twilight laughed at his enthusiasm as he seemed to forget all about his fears when confronted with such tasty drinks and food. Twilight paid for their meal and they left.

After lunch the two made their way to the park and just sat under a tree with Twilight telling Nightshade more about Equestria and all the modern things they had that Nightshade missed out on since he lived like a hermit in a forest. Before they knew it, it was time to head to Sugar Cube Corner for the party Pinkie put together for Nightshade. They left the park, made their way through town to the bakery, and up the stairs to Pinkies room where everypony was already there, waiting for them.

Nightshade removed his hood and figured now was a good time to tell them what he wanted to before the party started. “Everypony, before the party starts, there’s something I would like to tell you.” The ponies and Spike all turned their attention to Nightshade to hear him out.

Applejack asked what everyone was wondering. “What is it sugar cube?”

Nightshade looked over each of them before speaking. “I’ve decided to move my house here, in Ponyville.”

Pinkie immediately jumped in the air and screamed at the top of her lungs, “YAHHHOOOOOOOOO, THIS IS FAAAAAANTAAASTIC. WE CAN MAKE THIS A WELCOME BACK AND WELCOME TO PONYVILLE PARTY!!”

Applejack came forward to say something. “Well that’s great news pardner, glad ta know you decided ta come outta yer shell so suddenly.”

This seemed to worry Twilight a little. “Nightshade, are you sure.”

Nightshade looked at Twilight with a smile on his face. “Twilight, last night, I realized something. Even with my ability to teleport great distances and make it seem like I’m not that far away, my heart could tell the difference. Even one night so far away from you was hard. So I figured that the only way to keep me from feeling that pain again was to move here so I could be closer to you.”

Twilight smiled a big beautiful smile at Nightshade’s romantic words. She then embraced him in a loving hug as they shared a passionate kiss. The other ponies let out a group AAAWWWW , except for Spike and Rainbow Dash who both proceeded to make gagging noises to themselves at the romantic sentiment.

After a moment, the two broke their embrace and Twilight then had another thought in her head. “But wait, how are you going to get your house here, don’t tell me you know a spell to move massive objects great distances.”

Nightshade kept his smile as he answered her. “That’s exactly what I’m telling you. I just need to find a place in or around Ponyville where I can put my house and you’ll see the rest. But for now,….LETS PARTY!” Nightshade trotted forward into the room to begin the party with his friends. “So what kind of party games do you girls usually play at these?” He asked the group.

Rarity answered, “Well one of them that Pinkie thought we should start with is one of my favorites. It’s called pin the tail on the pony. It’s lots of fun.”

Nightshade gave her a curious look. “Sounds painful to me. Why would you want to pin a tail on a pony, we already have tails.” The room filled with laughter at Nightshade’s confusion over the name of the game. Nightshade started to look a little upset at their reaction of his confusion.

Twilight and spike were the only ones who didn’t laugh for they remembered that Nightshade wasn’t exactly up to date on the party games they had today. Spike stepped forward to try and amend the situation. “Girls come on, cut him some slack! Need I remind you that he has been alone and away from civilization for two thousand years.” This soon got everypony to stop laughing and began to feel a little guilty for laughing at Nightshade.

Rainbow Dash then stepped forward to apologize to Nightshade for their outburst. “Heh heh, uh, sorry Nightshade, we kinda forgot about that.”

Nightshade just smiled at her to let her know there were no hard feelings. “So, I’m guessing by your reactions that I was wrong in my assumption as to how the game is played.”

Pinkie decided she was the best pony to explain the game. “You see that picture on the wall over there with a pony on it. What you do is, you take a paper tail with a pin in it, you put on a blind fold, we spin you around until your good and dizzy, and finally you walk forward and try to pin the tail on the pony. Fun, right?”

Nightshade laughed at himself for his misunderstanding. “OK I get it know, that makes much more sense than what I thought. It does sound fun. Can I go first?”

Pinkie smiled at him and said, “Of course you can, her, take this tail and we’ll blindfold you so you can’t see.” Nightshade took the tail in his mouth and allowed Pinkie to put the blindfold on him, then she began to spin him around a lot until he was very dizzy. “Now just walk straight ahead and pin the tail on the pony as best you can.”

Nightshade was very wobbly on his hooves from being spun around as he made his way forward. He heard everypony cheering him on as he clumsily walked toward the picture. Nightshade misjudged how far away the picture was as he ran into the wall and fell back.

The ponies and spike rushed over to see if he was ok. Twilight was the first to call to him. “Nightshade, are you all right?” She removed the blindfold covering his eyes. They seemed to roll around in his head at the dizziness he was feeling.

Nightshade managed to focus a little and asked, “How’d I do, did I get it?” Everypony gave a relieved sigh to see he was ok and Pinkie looked to the picture to see how Nightshade did at his first attempt of pin the tail on the pony.

Pinkie started to laugh at Nightshades attempt. The others looked up from Nightshade to the picture to see why Pinkie was laughing. Nightshade had completely regained his senses and looked up from his position on the floor to see how well he did. Soon every pony was laughing, even Nightshade, he pinned the tail on the pony’s muzzle in a way that made it look like it had a beard.

After a few rounds of the game, Nightshade then grew anxious to try some of the sweets that were laid out on the table. Not just cupcakes, but there was candy, punck, cake, and cookies. It all looked so good, Nightshades mouth was watering at all the tasty looking treats. Each treat was just as good and sweet as the last, Nightshade had no idea such sweets existed.

Twilight tried to warn him not to eat too many. “Easy Nightshade, don’t eat too many at once or you’ll get a tummy ache.”

Nightshade looked at her with a mouthful of cupcake. “How can I take it easy when everything here is so good.” Twilight just laughed at him for showing such enthusiasm for something so common here in Ponyville.
The party soon wound down and it was time to end it. Nightshade expressed his gratitude to his new friends. “I can’t tell you how much fun I’ve had. I don’t think I’ve had this much fun since……well ever. Thank you again.”

Fluttershy stepped forward to address Nightshade. “You’re welcome Nightshade, that’s what friends are for.”

Then Nightshade thought now was a good time to show them how he would get his house here. “So, does anypony know where there’s a space big enough to where I can bring my house here?”

Twilight spoke up to answer him. “There’s a big open space next to my place that might work.”

“Perfect, let’s go, you can finally see how I plan on moving my house here.” Nightshade placed his hood back on and the group left Pinkie’s room, made their way downstairs, and out of Sugar Cube Corner to Twilight’s place to see another spectacle about to take place, courtesy of Nightshade.

Just like Twilight said, there was a large open area to the left of her house that would be perfect for Nightshade’s place. “All right, stand back and watch me work.” Nightshade removed his hood and began to cast a spell. His horns began to glow black and a blue light formed on the ground in front of him. It then split into two and went in opposite directions leaving behind a line of the same color. The girls and Spike watched as the two lights seemed to form a large circle on the open field.

Once the circle was formed, strange symbols began to form along the inside of the circle, then another circle began to form in the same manner as the first, encasing the symbols. Finally, another blue light formed inside at the top of the second circle and began to draw a line from the top to the bottom, then to the right and up at an angle to the right side, then across the center to the other side. The light kept going in a strange pattern to form a five pointed star made out of a single continuous line of a light blue light.

Everypony looked on in wonder at the sight and Twilight just had to ask Nightshade about it. “Nightshade, what is that?”

Nightshade looked up at her with his task nearly complete. “It’s called a pentagram. It’s an ancient and powerful magical symbol. It will give me the boost I need to bring my house here.” Nightshade then made his way to the center of the symbol he formed. He concentrated his magic again and formed a dark hole under him as if he was about to use his shadow flight spell. It opened in the same way it had before but Nightshade stayed where he was. The hole slowly began to expand, but the symbol could still be seen. Once the hole was equal in size to the symbol, a rumbling started up.

Nightshade’s house began to fade into existence. It was translucent at first but slowly began to look more solid as the rumbling continued. Finally, the home was completely solid and the rumbling stopped. The symbol and hole that formed disappeared. Nightshade emerged from his front doors to greet his friends and marefriend, smiled at them and said, “TADAA! Pretty neat huh. It is official. I am now a citizen of Ponyville.”

The ponies all ran up to Nightshade to give him a group hug except for Twilight. The girls released their group hug and Twilight made her way over to him. “Nightshade, that was amazing, I’ve never seen anything like it.”

Then Nightshade looked at her and said, “And just think, now you can check out my book collection anytime you want.” Twilight initiated a hug and they both gave each other a quick kiss. Nightshade would finally have everything he would need to be happy. A new home, friends, and, a mare who loved him. Nightshade would never be lonely again.

Author's Note:

What a touching end.......to the chapter. there's still more to come, so keep your eyes peeled for the next chapter.