• Published 20th Mar 2013
  • 4,472 Views, 104 Comments

Greyscale - Zoom zoom



Rainbow Dash X You story as you try to hide the truth from her about your colorblindness

  • ...
12
 104
 4,472

Chapter 7

By the time you got home and put on your eye patch you were already running late and your eye was killing you. You couldn’t take any of the pain pills now, at least not a full one. Then again you couldn’t exactly work correctly if you were unable to focus because of this pain right?

It’s like science right, if you cut it in half you could get half the effect. That was how it worked right? Then again it could just have the same effect of a smaller duration. It was why you were not on two pills and only able to get a night’s sleep with it now. Your tolerance was high enough now to need it.

Quick as a flash after the thought crossed you, half a pill slid down your throat and you could feel the pain in your eye subside. That was the stuff, back to normal again. Unfortunately is also reminded you of what just happened.

With your mind calming, you started to think back about this morning. You really had blown up at Cheerilee, that wasn’t like you. Problem was she was trying to antagonize you. Why should would eluded you however, in fact now most of what she was saying was fading from your memory. Now however wasn’t the time to try remembering, you were very much late now.

On the way out you noticed Noteworthy sleeping with a mare in his arms on the couch. You silently hoped your medicine didn’t mean it would be one of those regretful nights you were used to thanks to them. The two actually looked pretty well together looks wise at least, but it wasn’t your place to do anything. You could ask later if it wasn’t obvious when you returned.


“Well well well,” sang the sweet voice of your boss from a cloud above you. “Looks like somepony’s late to work by what…” She checked her Wonderbolt watch, which strangely seemed to disappear into her fur after she checked it. “Twenty minutes, not good newbie. Horrible way to start working.”

“I’m sorry,” you pleaded. You couldn’t lose this job.

“Ah no sweat,” replied Rainbow waving off your plea. “I just got here ten minutes ago anyway. Ponyville is actually a pretty easy gig all things considered so your earlier than anypony else who usually shows up.”

You wish she would have told you that but it wasn’t the point. “Still I was late without such knowledge. If you think I should be punished then than I’ll accept it.”

She put a hoof to her lips, “Nah. Besides Buckstreet-“ oh Celestia now everypony was going to call you that now. “-I’m pretty sure late night really through you off.”

“Last night,” you replied confused, “Did something bad happen or?” It was an honest question since even more of last night was beyond you. It was starting to bug you, which was surprising. Seems you guessed right about your medicine. By now your normal dose would have you barely aware of what was going on. That is something you’d have to keep in mind.

That got Rainbow to stop, “Y-you don’t remember?” Her confident voice faltered as she said that.

“Yesterday after the start of the party is mostly a huge blank for me,” you answered. “All I know is that at some point Cheerilee picked me off the floor somewhere and brought me to her house so I could get some sleep or something.”

“Or something,” she repeated. Was she chewing her lip? Your sight wasn’t as sharp as it usually is right now. Guess you couldn’t avoid all the downsides to the medicine.

“Is something wrong?”

“Oh,” Rainbow seemed to notice she was projecting her reactions at your question. “No, it’s nothing.” It didn’t sound very honest but you held back saying anything. You two were not exactly anything beyond co-workers yet so it would be out of place to voice any concern past what you just did without it getting awkward.

“Oh that reminds me,” Rainbow suddenly said after some silence, “I’ve wanted to ask you about that eye of yours while we have time. It looks cool, but how did you get it like that and how come you always cover it up?”

Not good, it was a dodge on her end that you couldn’t get out of. If you put the subject back on track you would come off as a bit of a creeper for insisting you know something was wrong with her. On the other hoof, you couldn’t think of anything but the truth at the moment about why you have the eye.

Thankfully those twins and a few other pegasi finally showed up to work to keep things from getting to that point. “What’s up you two?”

“Nothing at all,” Rainbow answered in an obvious panic. You wished you were at least a little closer to her to be able to ask about this now. You were starting to worry you had done something embarrassing or intimate with her and she didn’t want to remind you since it was so easily white washed now. That dug at your curiosity more than anything.

“Okay team,” Rainbow finally announced once everypony had arrived and lined up. Thirty minutes late seemed off as a starting time, but since nopony seemed worried it must have been normal enough that there were no complaints. “Today we’re supposed to have a cloudy day to set up for the downpour in two days.”

“Wait,” you found yourself saying out loud, “This isn’t rainforest land. Why do we need to have a downpour?”

“Yeah about that,” Rainbow replied rubbing the back of her head.

One of the pegasus’ next to you, Thunderlane if you recall right, “She forgot to tell us we were supposed to give light drizzles for three days last week. So we only did one day and now we have to catch up.” It really did surprise you that there was no complaints with this.

“Anyway,” Rainbow stated in a tone that was trying to brush off the comment as if she didn’t hear it, though she obviously did; “I’m having Cloud Kicker, Blossomforth, Thunderlane, and Flitter go on cloud collection duty today. We don’t need the full set up till the second half of our shift tomorrow. So Stormwalker, Buckstreet, Raindrops, and I will help with prep for the storm in town and make sure the clouds you guys send get nice a full in the Everfree. Snowflake should be back from his vacation to help set up the storm. Is that clear?”

Everyone saluted and replied, “Yes maim.” Scanning the rest of the weather team, you noticed that the more delicate looking of the twins was being sent out for cloud catching. Was that supposed to be the less taxing job? And why separate them? Well Rainbow as the boss so you had no reason to question things, especially when you didn’t know how anything worked yet.

Soon enough the catching team was off, and that left your team with waiting at least an hour before the clouds that would deliver would start coming in at a rate you’d need to pay attention to. “Well then,” came the voice of the twin that was on your team, “While we wait, how about I show you around the normal duties?”

“Hey wait a second Stormwalker,” called Rainbow. “I’m the boss and I’m supposed to make sure he knows what to do.”

“Yes,” Raindrops agreed, “that would be the case if you didn’t forget about having to go to Cloudsdale to file for the storm permits….again.”

Rainbow facehoofed and muttered irritated, “Dang it. Why do I keep forgetting these things?” She turned to you and Stormwalker. “Alright I guess I better make a quick fly over to the main office before too many clouds show up. Raindrops is in charge till I get back so both of you can show Buckstreet how to get things down around here.”

Stormwalker seemed a little disappointed but nodded along with Raindrops as Rainbow Dash spun and flew off into the distance so quickly you started to wonder how you even caught her before. “Okay Buckstreet,” the twin sang a bit. Yep it was official. That is your new name. “Let us show you around,” and with a wink Stormwalker ushered you to fly with her.

Author's Note:

So yeah I've been writing another fic and getting into Cardfight Vanguard. So this one is a bit of a short one since I'm trying to focus on finishing the storyline in "A Cog in the machine" first. I just happened to have half of this chapter written and decided I may as well finish it and post when I got to a decent stopping point. Hopefully if I don't get too many problems writing Cog and finishing up the start of my new fic I can get back to this way faster.