• Published 19th Mar 2013
  • 5,552 Views, 100 Comments

Chocolate Cake Shots, and Other Things You Discover in College - Flutterguy89



Follow the Mane 6 as they are re-imagined as human freshmen at Celestia College.

  • ...
8
 100
 5,552

Chapter 3: Can I Be Your Memory

Chapter 3: Can I be your memory?

The next morning several RA’s awoke covered in crumbs and surrounded by pizza boxes. There was also an unconfirmed report that a certain male student had awoken naked and bruised in the quad. He had been covered in sharpie doodles with the words “big fat meanie” written across both his forehead and buttocks.

The first thing that Rainbow Dash noticed as she awakened was the feeling that her head had been run over, scooped up from the side of the road, and then run over again. Soon the events of the previous night began to replay in her head, eliciting a grown from the prismatic-haired girl. The next thing she noticed is that the soft snores she heard coming from her roommate sounded like they were coming from the floor. RD blinked open her eyes and after a wince of pain, followed by cursing the sun an all its fiery brightness, she realized that she was not in her room.

This room was much emptier than her and Rarity’s Franken-room (as Rainbow had taken to referring to it). There was no second bed and few posters if any hung on the walls. There were a couple photos of family on the desk, but one picture in particular stood out from all the rest. It showed two young girls: one who was skinny and tall for her age with mousy brown hair that hung about her shoulders, the other shorter but still with much growing left to do with short hair that contained all the colors of the rainbow.

Rainbow leaned over the edge of the not-her-bed and saw that a sleeping bag had been rolled out on the floor, a mass of pink hair sticking out of the top.

“Fluttershy!?”

The sleeping form jerked and twitched a bit, mumbling something to the effect of, “right there….Dashie…right there…”

“Fluttershy!” Dash was overjoyed, she rolled off the bed and jumped on the sleeping bag. “How the hell did you end up at Celestia College!?”

Fluttershy awoke slowly, and as her eyes drifted open, she smiled. Rainbow Dash was staring her right in the face, her nose bandaged and sporting to black eyes. ‘This is such a wonderful dream,’ She thought sleepily. ‘Wait…. Why would Dashie be injured in my dream... I wasn't that rough with her...’ Her brain seemed to catch up to reality in an instant. She squeaked and quickly ducked her head into the sleeping bag.

“Oh sorry, didn’t mean to scare you or anything,” RD apologized as she climbed off her friend. “It’s just, I mean wow, of all the places right?”

“uh… Y- yes…” Came the soft reply from inside the sleeping bag.

“This is so awesome!” Rainbow pumped her fist in the air. “Flutters and Dashie, together again!”

--------------------

Fluttershy hated gym class. It wasn’t enough that she was teased for her early growth spurts, it seemed today the gods had conspired against her to further deepen the hell that was her seventh grade experience. Fluttershy had always known she was different. All the other girls talked and gossiped about the pubescent boys in their class, Fluttershy simply couldn’t see the appeal.

While she and the girls were dressing out for gym, her raging hormones compelled her to spend just a second too long staring at one of her fellow classmates.

“What are you looking at?” Came an angry shout from the object of Fluttershy’s gaze.

“N-nothing…I was…I just…” Fluttershy stammered, blushing furiously.

“Oh my god,” Chimed in another girl. “Look at her face, she was totally into you.”

“Ugh, seriously?” The first girl replied. “Looks like we got ourselves a lesbo.” The last word dripped with venom.

Fluttershy was paralyzed, tears were welling up in her eyes. She needed to run away, to get away from here, but her body wouldn’t respond to her pleas.

“You leave her the fuck alone!” The shout came from behind her, “You wanna pick a fight do it with me and leave her out of it!”

Fluttershy turned to see a girl that stood a bit shorter than her with short scruffy blonde hair. She gave the girls who were picking on Fluttershy a death glare. Under the violent gaze, the two girl who were mocking Fluttershy wilted and slinked away.

“Have fun with your girlfriend, dyke.” One of the called out as they left the locker room.

Fluttershy looked down at the girl who had come to her aid, wanting to say thanks, to say anything. But all she could do was sob.

“It’s okay, don’t let ‘em get to you. My name’s Rainbow Dash, by the way.”

“Fl-Fluttershy,” She managed to choke out.

--------------------

Fluttershy managed to poke her head out from the sleeping bag. “I…I hope you don’t mind, I could only get you moved this far… I didn’t think you’d make it back to your room…”

“No problem, pal.” Rainbow smiled, and for the first time she noticed the bandaging across the bridge of her nose. “I figure I have you to thank for this?”

“Oh, yes, well… The bandages, not the nose. You ...uh…kinda…”

“Busted up some guy for calling me a dyke, yeah I remember.” Dash’s voice still smoldered with rage over the incident.

--------------------

RD could still hear the taunts thrown at Fluttershy. Despite all the threats Rainbow had leveled at anyone who said anything against Fluttershy, every day her best friend was enduring the torturous barbs of their classmates. Fluttershy didn’t deserve that, and privately Rainbow didn’t know how much more the timid girl could even take. Flutters spent half the time they hung out in tears.

But Rainbow Dash had a plan

She pulled her knit cap low over her head as she headed into the cafeteria. The cafeteria was a hive of activity but to Dash the noise just seemed to tune out as she prepared herself for what was going to happen next. RD climbed on top of one of large tables and stomped her foot to get everyone’s attention.

“Hey assholes, I’M GAY” She pulled off her cap to reveal that her once blonde hair had been dyed all the colors of the rainbow. “If you want someone to fuck with, fuck with me!”

--------------------

“You, were really brave Dashie… oh I mean RD,” the shy girl corrected hastily.

Dash winced. Hearing herself called by her initials from Fluttershy’s mouth just sounded wrong. “You can still call me that, just you.”

“Thank you.” Fluttershy said with a blush.

“You know, you can come out of that sleeping bag,” Dash felt a friendly smile grow over her lips. “I mean it’s not like I haven’t seen you in your PJs before.”

“Oh…uh… yeah, guess this is like our sleepovers, huh?” Fluttershy shimmied her way out of the sleeping bag. She was wearing an oversized t-shirt and cotton sleeping shorts.

Rainbow felt her jaw drop and her face heat up. What happened to the skinny girl she used to know? “Wh- what? How the hell did this happen? Are those real?”

Fluttershy felt her face go beet red and she felt a little “Eep” escape her lips. She covered herself with the sleeping
bag and let her hair fall in front of her face. RD immediately felt the guilt hit her like truck.

“I… uh… I’m sorry Flutters, I didn’t mean to embarrass you… you can come out. It was just a bit of a shock, last time I saw you, you were as flat as I am.” Rainbow was blushing too now. “but I uh… I guess you filled out huh?”

---------------------

Fluttershy was bawling.

“I know.” RD spoke in an unusually soft voice. “I wish I could stay… but my mom was transferred to some office that’s halfway across the country.”

“I…I don’t know how… I’m going to do this… without you…” Fluttershy could barely speak through the sobs.

“Hey don’t worry; you’re braver than you know. I promise. You’ll do it.” Rainbow patted her friend on the shoulder, she could feel tears welling up in her eyes. “I’m not good at this kind of thing… but just remember that wherever I am… wherever you are… I promise I’ll be there with this haircut and this silly rainbow hair, and you can… I don’t know… draw strength from that. I’ll be out there being who I am, and you can use that to find the courage to be who you are.”

--------------------

“Y- yeah…” Fluttershy felt her heart rate beginning to slow back down to something resembling normal. She dropped the sleeping bag and joined RD sitting on the bed. “But…you look good too… don’t be mean to yourself Dashie…”

“No accounting for taste I suppose,” Rainbow said with a self-deprecating grin. “So it’s been bugging me, what’s with the hair?”

“Oh… well… I came out to my family this summer. They were surprised but they weren’t mean or anything… and I don’t know. I felt like I need to… mark the change.” Fluttershy spoke slowly. She hesitated a bit before she added, “Like you did in middle school.”

Rainbow wasn’t sure what to say at first, but then she began to feel a bit of a proud smile cross her lips, “So you wanted to be like you hero Dashie, huh? Not surprising at all really. Though uh… why pink?”

“It’s… uh…” Fluttershy’s voice grew so small it was barely audible. “It’s the only color you were missing…”

Silence followed this pronouncement. Rainbow coughed.

“So… uh… want hit the mess hall for some breakfast or something, I can introduce you to the rest of the gang: Pinkie Pie, Twilight, Applejack, and I guess now Rarity too.”

“S-sure… I’d love to,” came Fluttershy’s stammered reply. “Though I met Pinkie and Twilight last night, they were very nice.”

“Yeah pretty cool huh? Seems like we got out own gang now, it’s not just us against the world anymore. Well I should probably get washed up first, meet you in the hall in twenty?”

“Sounds good” Fluttershy quietly replied.

After Dash had left, Fluttershy pulled together an outfit and held it up to herself in the mirror. ‘She thinks you’re hot’ the smug little voice in her head cooed. Fluttershy blushed and began getting dressed.

Author's Note:

Can't tell a FlutterDash story without flashbacks right?
This chapter's title track is Memory by Sugarcult. A bit on the nose I know, but hey what are you gonna do?

More fun to come!