• Published 17th Mar 2013
  • 2,636 Views, 31 Comments

Masks - Free2424



Trying to stop something that can make the moon crash into the earth is not as easy as it looks.

  • ...
12
 31
 2,636

Chapter 1 - Awakening

My body was screaming, but alas, I needed to get up. I put my hands on the grass and got into a sitting position. Grass? I fell asleep on my bed, didn’t I? Where am I? I remember thinking, desperately searching for a landmark or something to figure out where I was.

I regained my composure and got my bearings. I was in a dark and kinda creepy forest. The sun — which was at its zenith — shone through the canopy beautify. However, as I looked farther into the forest, all I saw were shadows: a shiver went down my spine.

I searched the area for any of my belongings. There wasn't much. I was wearing my usual clothes, a blue and dark blue stripped polo shirt, black lose track pants, black socks, and black slip-on shoes. Wait, where’s my wallet? I patted myself down, checking all the pockets until I concluded that it was gone. Well, I should have expected that.

My archery equipment was also on the ground next to where I was laying. It included a wooden long bow and a quiver that included 20 spear head hunting arrows. I can defend myself at least. I thought.

I slung the quiver over my back and strung my bow, holding it with an arrow at the ready. I think it’s time to figure out where I am. Then, I started walking further into the forest. For every step I took, the forest seemed to get darker. Wow, this place is freaking creepy... Reminds me of Slender. I stopped and looked around shakily. Why the fuck do I think of these things at the worst possible time?!

I walked for a very long time, scared out of mind. I was beginning to lose hope of getting out of there, until I found the edge of the forest and emerged from the darkness. I was thankful that I had not encountered big... or tall and white. Thankfully, the sight in front of me took my mind off of the forest.

I stood on the edge of a 'kingdom'. That's the only word that comes to mind when I need to describe it. 'Kingdom'. It was something out of the medieval era. Houses made of wood, stone and hay lined the many streets. And to top it all off, a massive castle with dark blue roofs and a wall surrounding it was at the head of the town.

To say that I was relieved would have been an understatement. It was a weird, but better than nothing.
However, my happiness only lasted so long. I went to the first house and knocked. When no answer came, I knocked again, a little more frantically.

“Hello? Is anyone in there?” I went over to a window and peeked inside. The house was barren of any life. Damn, I thought, well there’s got to be people in the other houses. I checked the next house up the road and it gave the same results. So, I checked the next five houses and got the same result. I checked the entire town — the entire town — and still, nothing.

This place is a ghost town. It’s just one creepy thing after another, isn't it? I turned to the castle as the sun cast a red glow over the land and it, giving it an eerie shadow. Yes, yes it is.


I've been staying at the castle, cleaning it up and repairing it where ever I can. Surprisingly, the castle is in relatively good condition, as well as its contents. Books, beds, bows, arrows, swords, shields, anything medieval, it has it. The only weird thing is that there are bits and pieces of modern technology like toilets and sinks.

Also, there are rooms in this castle that don’t really fit. For example, there are the “Music room” and the “Commons room”. The Music room is filled with instruments, ranging from a grand piano to an electric guitar. The guitar however, doesn't seem to need electricity or an amplifier. You just turn it on and play. On the other hand, the Commons room is not that strange, it just feels misplaced. It includes a couch, some cushioned chairs, a coffee table, a fire place, and some book shelves filled with books.

I've been here a week, staying in (what I believe to be) the kings room. I might as well sleep in style, right? The room has a king sized bed with blue and purple sheets. In fact, the room seems to be based around the colour blue. The ceiling is a royal blue while the walls and curtains are a lighter blue. The only things that aren’t blue are the stone floor, a glass door that leads to a balcony, the furniture, and the bathroom.

For the issue of food, all the food I found in the castle is rotten; as a result I’ve been gathering fruits and hunting. However, there is no suitable place to refrigerate the meat, so I have to eat it on the same day that I kill it. For water, there is a river nearby, but the castle has plumbing. I know it’s weird, but I'm not questioning it, it helps. There's also extra clothing, but that not very important. There are mostly tunics and silk pants, but I found a nice cloak.

I started this journal to organize my thoughts and to keep me sane. I don’t plan exploring really far out into the forest until I get some hint as to where I am. The 'where am I' question is still bothering me though. The medieval setting is a little strange, but the contents in the books here are the same. They talk of mythological creatures as if they were real! To list a few, unicorns, pegasi, dragons, hydras, etc. They even give diagrams of the autonomy! At least they can entertain me if I get bored.

If anybody finds this journal, my name is Dalton. I'm twenty-two years old, and I'm freaking right the hell out.