• Published 14th Mar 2013
  • 970 Views, 35 Comments

Undead Equestria - MaskedxMaestro



After being gone for two weeks, Twilight Sparkle wakes up to find herself in a world of zomponies. Ponyville has become infected and her memory wont come back. Twilight Sparkle will have to overcome the undead- and ultimately herself.

  • ...
2
 35
 970

Chapter 1

Awareness of the darkness around her came on slow but sure. Before, there was nothing, just an endless realm of nonexistence. But now, thoughts and emotions once foreign to her mind leaked into her system like heavy syrup. The realization of this utter emptiness caused her mind to explore thoughts that hadn’t been touched in what felt like years. What was this place? Where was she? Although there was nothing around her, the new emotions of fear, worry, and loneliness filled her like an overflowing cup.

“Wake up.”

A voice penetrated the darkness like an explosion. Just two words and yet it felt as though they were the first sound created since the beginning of time. So loud and frightening they were, despite the context of them being so simple and calming. New thoughts began to form. Ones beyond emotion, beyond simple awareness. Thoughts such as, “Where am I?” and “Where was I before this?” came into play as her mind continued to form.

“Wake up, Twilight.”

Twilight? Who or what was Twilight? Wait... Was she... She was Twilight! Yes, Twilight Sparkle, the purple unicorn from Ponyville! Now everything was starting to make sense. Memories flooded back to her. Memories of her life, her friends, her family. She smiled to herself as they filled her mind.

...But where was she now? And how did she get here?


“Twilight, WAKE UP!”

Twilight Sparkle gasped awake. Wide eyed and confused, she blinked until everything around her became clear. She was lying on the floor of her personal library, her home in Ponyville. The room was dark save for a few beams of moonlight. Everything looked the same as she remembered. The same bookshelves, the same furniture... It felt so long since she had seen it. In fact, it felt as though it had been weeks since she’d been here, despite the fact that she had no memory of anything having happened during that missing time. 
 “Rainbow Dash, she’s awake!”

The sound of a familiar voice snapped Twilight’s attention to her right. Rarity, a white mare with a lavishly rich purple mane and tail, was standing upright by a window. Her bright blue eyes showed nothing but concern as she stared at her fellow unicorn. But Twilight, however, hardly had enough time to respond with a confused “What?” before a light blue pegasus with rainbow colored mane and tail was flapping her wings in front of her.

“Twilight, you’re awake! Perfect. Now we can finally get back to the barn.”

Twilight shook her head, a light headache buzzing at the front of her skull.


“Rainbow?” she asked, recognizing her friend immediately. “Go where? Did something happen? I feel like I should be remembering something important but I don’t know what it is.”

“There’s no time to explain! We have to go!” Rainbow Dash glided in behind Twilight and scooted her up off the floor, forcing her to stand. Her bones creaked painfully. She felt stiff all over as though she’d been asleep in the same position for a long time. Confused at the sudden rush of things as well as the pain of her cramped legs, Twilight didn’t respond to her friend, her mind racing with unanswered questions.
 “Now Rainbow, don’t be in such a rush!” said Rarity, who was walking her way over to Twilight. “I realize the lack of time we have on our hooves, but that doesn’t mean we can’t spend a little more on helping Twilight! The poor dear must be very confused.”

Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes but said nothing, choosing instead to race back to one of the upper windows and peek outside. Twilight stared hard at her friend Rarity, waiting on bated breath for her words.

“Twilight, what is the last thing that you remember?” Rarity asked, putting a hoof to her friend’s forehead, checking for a fever.

“Well...” started Twilight. She thought hard. What was the last thing she remembered? Taking a long pause to think and look for answers in the floorboard, she finally brought her head up. “I think I was headed to Canterlot for something. But I don’t remember what. After that it gets a little fuzzy. What happened to me? Was I hurt?”


“All you remember is heading to Canterlot? That’s it?”


“Yes..?”


“I see.” Rarity turned her head to glance up at Rainbow Dash. They both shared an uneasy look. Twilight couldn’t help but feel left in the dark.

“Is that... bad..?” Twilight asked, searching for answers in Rarity’s sparkling eyes.

“No, darling, not at all!” reassured Rarity, patting her hoof against Twilight’s. “It’s just that you’ve been... asleep... for, well, about two weeks now.”

“Two weeks?!” Twilight stammered. “ Was I knocked out?! What happened!?”

“Calm yourself, dear! You need to-”


“Stop fooling around, Rarity.” interrupted Rainbow Dash, who flew down from the window to land in front of the panicking Twilight. “Yes, Twilight, you were out cold for two weeks. And a lot has happened since then. We’re in a lot of danger and we need to get out of here as fast as we can.”

“Danger?” questioned Twilight, who had had enough of a hard time processing what had happened already, now there was danger involved?

“I’m afraid she’s right, Twilight.” Rarity said. “What we’re about to tell you will be hard to take and I’m quite sure that you won’t believe a word of it. But you must try, Twilight, because we wouldn’t lie to you. Not about something like this.”

Twilight stared at her friends. She waited for the laughter, the cue for her to relax and realize it was all a joke, but the more time that passed only caused her heart to beat faster with each passing second. What danger could they be facing? Was it coming, or was it already here? And if they were in as much danger as they were suggesting, where were her other friends? Fluttershy, Applejack, and Pinkie Pie. What about Spike? Were they okay? She looked around the library frantically, suddenly realizing that she hadn’t checked for her dragon friend until just now. Her expression turned to a concerned frown when she didn’t see him and turned to stare at her friends.

“Twilight,” began Rarity, biting her lip uneasily. “The dead have come alive.”

“What?”

“Well... Ponies that were once... you know... passed on... have... sort of... risen.”


“I don’t understand.” 


“Ugghh,” Rainbow Dash interjected. “Rarity, you said it all wrong. Listen, Twilight. Zomponies are here and-”


“Don’t call them zomponies, Rainbow!” Rarity interrupted angrily. “That’s so... so... so crude!”

“Well that’s what they are, Rarity! It’s the undead! They’re zomponies!”

“Rainbow, those ponies out there aren’t some monsters! They were our friends! They just so happen to have... to have...”

“To come back alive from the dead? To have killed each other and-”


“Don’t say that!”


“Well, it’s the truth!”

“I don’t care! You shouldn’t-”

“Girls, girls, GIRLS!” Twilight yelled. She stomped her hooves on the floor hard, which was honestly rather painful due to the stiffening feeling still tingling throughout her body, but she had to do something to stop them from arguing. “Rainbow, Rarity, I don’t know if this is a joke, but it’s a pretty cruel one if it is. Now please stop arguing and tell me the truth. I have a small headache, I just woke up from having apparently passed out for two weeks, and I need to know what happened to me and what’s going on!”

“Twilight, we’re telling the truth!” Rainbow Dash insisted.

“Now I said you’d have trouble believing us...” started Rarity. “But you simply must! We’re all in terrible danger. I realize what we’re saying is strange, but it’s true and we need to go to Applejack’s barn in Sweet Apple Acres to meet up with the others.”

Twilight Sparkle stood still in silence. No words came to her throat and yet her head was commanding her to speak. The undead? Zomponies? Those were old mare’s tales, not reality. In all the books she ever read there was no spell nor information nor anything hinting towards the possibility of the dead rising from their graves. How would it even be possible?

Quizzically watching her friends, Twilight remained silent as she walked towards the front door of the library. Rarity and Rainbow Dash watched carefully, wondering what their friend would do. Twilight stopped in front of the door, staring at it, hesitating, before turning to face the other ponies.

“Well.” Twilight said, as though waiting for them to speak.


“What?” Rarity asked.


“I’m waiting to learn if this is a joke before I walk outside and watch as the whole town laughs at me.”

In an instant Rarity took a step forward and Rainbow Dash flew a little bit closer.

“Twilight, please don’t be rash!” the white unicorn said, her voice filled with panic.

“We’re telling the truth! Don’t open the door!” Rainbow warned, raising up her hooves and shaking them.

“Joke’s over, guys. I’m not falling for it.” Twilight said, opening the door. Rainbow Dash and Rarity rushed over to their friend as fast as they could, but it was too late. Twilight had already opened it. They stopped suddenly, right before the entrance, watching with wide eyes and stunned silence from the darkness of the library as their friend walked through it.


Twilight!” they both hissed frantically, but it was no use. The purple unicorn was already outside, the night air softly brushing through her mane.

Twilight stepped forward. Looking around, the town of Ponyville looked relatively normal in the moonlight. Or at least as normal as she could remember. Turning her head to look from building to building, she didn’t see anything out of the ordinary. The stars were just as bright as she remembered. The houses looked just as cozy. Nothing seemed frightening or eerie about the place and the relatively calm atmosphere caused Twilight to nearly roll her eyes at the thought that she had seriously considered the possibility of what her friends were suggesting. But just as she was about to turn around and head back inside to gloat, however, Twilight heard a peculiar sound. A small rustling from her left. Turning sharply, she stared into the direction the sound came from. At first, she saw nothing. Just the ordinary Ponyville, a few buildings, including Sugarcube Corner. But upon closer inspection of the Cakes’ bakery window, she noticed something that she didn’t notice before.

It was broken.

And inside that broken glass was a gray pony with a yellow tail, its head down far enough that Twilight couldn’t see who it was. He or she was snooping through the bakery items. Twilight squinted to see the cutie mark of the unknown pony, but it was too dark to see from so far away. Was the pony stealing? There had never been thieves in Ponyville, at least not for the entire time she’d been here, and it seemed unlikely that there would be one now. She turned to glance at Rarity and Rainbow Dash, but they were shaking their heads at her and motioning with their hooves for her to come back inside. Twilight rolled her eyes, promptly turned away from them again, and set off to figure out who the thief was.

Making her way towards Sugarcube Corner, Twilight’s attitude changed from irritable to angry. Her friends insisted upon a terrible joke that would mean that half the town was dead. Of all the jokes for her friends to make, did they really have to push it this far? Due to her frustration, this unfortunate thief was going to be her scape goat.

Finally she was right behind the gray pony. It was digging through the case of baked goods, mainly muffins and doughnuts. And now at this range, Twilight was better able to see the cutie mark: bubbles.

“Ditzy Doo!” Twilight yelled angrily. “What are you doing!?” She admitted that this pony was prone to confusion and this entire situation was probably a misunderstanding, but even if Ditzy Doo had come across the broken window and not caused it herself, it would still be thieving to take advantage of her sudden luck.

The gray mare pulled her head out of the baked items, a few muffins and doughnuts rolling to the floor. Slowly her head turned back to see Twilight, and the purple unicorn screamed in terror. Ditzy Doo’s face, if it was even Ditzy Doo to begin with, was covered in lesions and bite marks. Her eyes were terribly sunken in, and there was a large hole in the side of her neck, revealing the bones inside.

“Rraaauuuuuuhhggh!” the thing moaned, grinding its teeth. It reached out towards Twilight, who fell backwards onto the ground and stayed frozen there.

Now adrenaline pumped through Twilight’s shaking frame. It was pure horror as she stared into the sunken eyes of what was once Ditzy Doo. Run! her mind called desperately, but it was no use. Her body wouldn’t move an inch, and she could only watch in terror as the mutilated gray mare walked slowly towards her.

“TWILIGHT!” Rainbow Dash yelled, zooming through the air at lightning speed. She tucked her blue hooves underneath Twilight’s arms, and lifted her to safety. Twilight, as though finally coming to realization of what had just happened, screamed and kicked with all her might.

“Twilight, stop! Stop kicking!” the rainbow colored pony called, but the frightened mare couldn’t stop. She had lost all control as her mind washed over with the image of Ditzy Doo’s face. It was horrifying and unbelievable all mixed into one as Rainbow Dash carried her friend back to the library. The safety of darkness couldn’t save Twilight’s mind, however, as she was lowered into her bed. Rarity rushed to her side and Rainbow Dash remained in the air above her.

“Relax, hush, dear! You’re safe now!” Rarity said, calmly brushing her hoof through Twilight’s mane.

“W-what was that?!” Twilight demanded hurriedly, her chest heaving with each breath.

There was a short pause of silence before Rarity spoke up.

“I know it’s hard to believe.”

Twilight’s breathing didn’t stop behaving erratically, but her mind was finally calming enough to focus.

“Z-zomponies are real?” she asked, as though needing confirmation to finalize what she had just witnessed.

“Yes, Twilight. They’re real. They arrived in Ponyville two weeks ago. Most of the townsponies have gone to Canterlot to seek shelter there. Others, including Applejack’s extended family, have stayed in the barn. Almost everyone we know has survived thus far, but others... such as the one you just witnessed... have not made it through.”

Rarity’s head drooped at the sadness of her own words. Twilight stared hard at her, finding it difficult to believe what was she was hearing.

“Once you’re able to stand,” interjected Rainbow Dash. “Rarity and I are suppose to bring you back to Sweet Apple Acres to regroup.”

Twilight stayed silent. She understood what her friend was saying, and given the circumstances, the idea sounded perfect. But it was still hard to take in so suddenly. How could she be expected to hear this dramatic of news and just accept it so quickly? Zomponies were real. The cursed creatures of the night that she had only believed to exist in her books were here. Ditzy Doo was clear proof of that. And that was just one pony. Who else was under the curse? How did they change? Was she safe from the curse? Were her friends? She suddenly realized she knew nothing about zomponies and this lack of knowledge made her uncomfortable.

“But who is okay and who isn’t?” Twilight asked. The thought of ponies she knew turning into that... thing... outside was horrifying and she wasn’t sure if she could handle the truth. But she absolutely had to know who was safe to put her mind at ease. That is, until her mind starting racing and Twilight continued asking questions. “Is everyone safe at the barn? Do they have food? What about water? Is anyone else stuck in Ponyville? What about these creatures? What are they and how are they turning other ponies into them? How do we-”

“Twilight!” Rarity interrupted, jumping up to place two hooves on the bed. “I know you’re confused and frankly so are we, but it will be easier to explain everything once we get back to the barn.”

Tears filled Twilight’s eyes and she sniffed. Rarity patted her hoof and cooed a small, “I’m sorry...”

Twilight squeezed her eyes shut, the tears falling down her cheeks. After a moment she nodded and pushed Rarity’s hoof away gently.

“Okay... You’re right, I’m sorry. Let’s go.”

Author's Note:

Before anyone gives me any trouble about calling her Ditsy Doo, it's because I couldn't see any of the ponies calling her "Derpy". While it's a fun name for fans to call her that, I tried to be as realistic as possible within the confines of this made-up world.

Aside from that, I hope you enjoyed it! There will be approximately 24 chapters in total, so be sure to come back and read them when they're finished! :)