• Published 14th Mar 2013
  • 970 Views, 35 Comments

Undead Equestria - MaskedxMaestro



After being gone for two weeks, Twilight Sparkle wakes up to find herself in a world of zomponies. Ponyville has become infected and her memory wont come back. Twilight Sparkle will have to overcome the undead- and ultimately herself.

  • ...
2
 35
 970

Chapter 8

Hours passed before the ponies felt strong enough to make it back to Sweet Apple Acres. The toll from the fight had left them breathless and unmotivated to move quickly despite the dangers that may still lurk in the forest. While getting back to the barn was imperative, it was just as important to take the time to heal and properly regroup before making the journey back. The damage that Rainbow Dash had suffered was troubling and she would need to be carried back very carefully. Her left wing and arm were undoubtedly broken and the slam against the boulder had knocked her clean out. They felt lucky in that her eye had not been damaged but that was hardly a plus given her other injuries. Using the forest’s natural surroundings, the ponies were able to makeshift a splint for Rainbow’s wing and arm out of wood and vine. Her wounds would heal but they were uncertain as to how long it would take and also how long it would be before she woke up.

The fires from the Timberwolf fight had burned long into the afternoon. Zecora’s tree was nothing more but a smoldering chunk of wood, ash and smoke filling what once was a comfortable home. Both Twilight and Applejack had tried to console the zebra but it was clear from the expression on Zecora’s muzzle that she didn’t want to talk about it and in the end they both respected her need for silence. It was possible that Zecora’s response was not only fed from her home being destroyed, but also from how the area around her tree currently looked. The burned bodies of zomponies were sprawled haphazardly everywhere. And while the charred remains could hardly be taken for more than a pile of dirt at this point, they themselves knew what those suspicious lumps of gray ash were and it was enough to make all of them sick. Zecora’s home had not only been destroyed, but it had been poisoned by the literal smell of death. It was hardly a wonder that she didn’t wish to discuss her lost home because in all reality she had lost more than just a home. She had lost her normal way of life. And of course she had already accepted this given the fact that she had been living and fighting amongst the Apple family and seeing the piles of zomponies outside of the barn for two weeks but it was much harder to take when it was literally on her own doorstep.

Each in their own right felt affected by the day’s happenings. Applejack’s guilty conscience from Sweetie Belle only increased from the lack of being able to protect Rainbow Dash and Twilight’s confusion over her magic still not cooperating turned to frustration. Fluttershy mentally kicked herself at not being brave enough to help until the very end and Big Mac didn’t want to admit how tired he felt, knowing how dependent all of them were on him. Everyone felt that they could have provided more help than what they had actually given and it was this guilt that lingered in their minds.

Their spirits had most certainly dampened. And it reflected on the group’s outward appearance as well as on their general speed back to the barn. Big Mac was pulling Rainbow Dash in a makeshift sleigh, his natural farm stallion strength making it easy for him to pull her. His movements were slower than usual due to the fight with the Timberwolves having affected him so greatly but still he remained vigilant in his duty. Sweat poured from his brow despite the temperature of the forest being generally cool and airy. It was up to Fluttershy to wipe his forehead every so often with a dry cloth, and it was also she who felt the need to step back and walk next to the sleigh to watch carefully for any sign of movement from Rainbow Dash. It might have been easier to hover above the sleigh and watch both of them at the same time, but Fluttershy’s back was still freshly burned and while it wasn’t as serious as the injuries her friends had suffered, she still felt better walking where she could allow her burn to not be aggravated. At the head of the party was Twilight and Applejack, who both felt the desire to lead even if they didn’t feel quite up to the task. Neither of them spoke but they knew it wasn’t necessary. The task at hand required nothing more than simply leading the way and they could do that in silence. It allowed them all to process the events that had just occurred on their own which would prove to be a healthy decision by the time they reached Ponyville. Especially for Zecora, who trailed behind at a slower speed than the rest, her tail tucked between her legs in sadness and her head pointed towards the ground in disappointment.

“Almost there, everypony.” Applejack said, spotting the barn in the distance. The unexpected voice made all of them snap to attention. So lost in thought had each of them been that they hadn’t realized how long it had been since anypony had spoken. But as they each recovered from the mild interruption and everypony raised their head to look up, the party stopped moving in order to stare.

The view of the farm from where they stood was spectacular in the setting sun’s glow. The hillside was full of warmth and the sky was painted with an array of colors. Pink, yellow, and orange spread across the sky like a large blanket and white clouds were pulled and stretched out towards the horizon. The sun, richly orange and bright in its light, extended its rays like a cat reaching out its limbs after a long nap. Its light fell upon the valley like a warm bath, soaking into every crevice and pore. The farm had never looked so beautiful. And the sudden change from a cold and dark forest to a bright and welcoming hillside made each of them realize how much they missed the feeling of sunlight.

“Oh...” Fluttershy whispered meekly, too caught up in her own emotion to stop the sound coming from her lips.

A strong breeze fluttered by and caused the grass to whip against their hooves. The fresh air allowed them to breathe more deeply and some even closed their eyes to feel the effects of the wind in their mane. It had been a long time since any of them had felt such a wonderful feeling. A feeling of normal. A feeling of what life had been like before the madness. Before the need to remain cooped up inside a shelter that hid the sunlight and spread the seed of fear that had been planted in their minds.

The sight was rejuvenating. Even Twilight could feel the shared joy seep through them one by one. It was like a dry well being filled with fresh water for the first time in years. And she knew that if she was feeling this way after only having gone through a single day of this horrible nightmare, that the others must be feeling ten times as much relief from how long they had been living it. In one day they had lost so much. In two weeks they had lost so much more. How much would be lost by the time a whole month passed? Two months? How long before the zomponies’ reign would end?

Twilight turned to look at her friends and they in turn shifted their gaze to her. Big Mac’s eyes changed from exhaustion to determination, Zecora lifted her head from the ground to look her in the eye, Applejack nodded despite the pain behind her eyes, and Fluttershy returned a soft smile. Glancing between them she knew in that moment that they were expressing their desire to be in this together until the end. They knew there would be pain. They knew there would be suffering. And Celestia knows how much longer this entire affair would go on for. But one thing was for certain: They were a team. A family. And a family doesn’t give up or stop protecting each other no matter the issue.

“Back to the barn.” Twilight said after a moment. Each of them nodded before stepping forward to continue their journey.

-----------------------------

“Set her down over here.” Granny Smith said, pointing towards an empty pen to the side of the barn. Thunderlane and Golden Delicious lifted Rainbow Dash out of the makeshift sleigh and carried her over to lay her down into a small patch of hay. Cheerilee and Mrs. Cake, who had both already gotten use to attending wounds throughout their stay at the barn, quickly moved in to assess the situation.

“What happened?” Braeburn asked as Applejack walked in after Big Mac. She turned to look at him and opened her mouth to speak but she choked back her words. Suddenly the idea of explaining seemed too much for her and the guilt that she had temporarily repressed at the sight of the sunset came flooding back. She glanced at Rainbow Dash and then to everypony else in the barn, who all flocked to the door as soon as they heard their arrival. Luckily her needing to explain was interrupted by Fluttershy, whose entrance into the barn caused a flurry of excitement. The yellow pegasus was hardly two steps into the building before her name was being called out, everypony relieved so see that she was safe. She was happy to see her friends so relieved for her safety but the sudden rush of being surrounded on all sides felt a little too overwhelming and she shrank at the sound of all the questions being asked.

“Fluttershy!” called a familiar voice. And the yellow pegasus turned just in time to see a flash of white and purple break through the crowd and rush towards her. Rarity nearly tackled her in desperation.

“Oh, Rarity!” Fluttershy exclaimed, falling into the arms of the white unicorn. “I’m so glad you’re safe!”

“I was afraid I’d never see you again!” Rarity said, tears forming in her eyes. Her hooves wrapped around Fluttershy tightly until the pegasus cried out in pain. Recoiling, Rarity looked to see what she had done to cause her friend’s pain and her eyes saddened at the sight of the burn.

“Darling, what happened?” she asked as Fluttershy recovered. She protectively put a hoof against her friend’s arm.

“Well...” The yellow pegasus began. She trailed off, looking at the ground and then glancing back to watch Twilight enter the barn. Rarity followed her gaze and looked expectantly at the purple unicorn. Twilight recognized the look of concern on her friend’s face and knew what she had to do. Before she spoke, she let Zecora quietly slip past her.

“I can explain.”

She took a moment to set herself in the middle of the room before speaking again. After a moment of making sure that everypony was listening, she began her speech. She started with explaining what happened after they entered the forest, continued on to how they found Angel and Fluttershy, then went to the unexpected arrival of the zompony, and finally ended with the Timberwolves and the fire.

A collective gasp was heard from the crowd when Twilight mentioned timberwolves. Everypony knew how dangerous they were and how lucky their friends had been to avoid their clutches. But the gasp was nothing compared to the whispers that flew around the room when the purple unicorn described that both timberwolves and zomponies had been present in the same area. Twilight didn’t have to read minds to make an educated guess about what they were questioning. She had been wondering the same thing herself.

“I don’t think they’re working together.” she explained after finishing the story. A few ponies breathed a sigh of relief but others weren’t so easily convinced. “Neither parties seemed to cooperate with the other during the fight. Each focused on their own battle and it seemed like they weren’t aware of the other’s existence. I think that it was simply a happenstance that they were there at the same time and we just so happened to be what both of them wanted.”

Most of the ponies nodded.

“Did anything happen while we were gone?”

“No.” Granny Smith answered. “It’s been quiet. We used the time to patch up that there hole in the back of the barn and in the meantime we’ve been waitin’ for Rarity to finish up her project so’s we can have a proper burial for Sweetie Belle.”

“Project?” Twilight asked, turning to look at Rarity. The white unicorn immediately flinched and instinctively looked away from Twilight. Her discomfort was overridden by her desire to inform her friend of what she had been doing, however, so after a moment or two, Rarity looked back up.

“I... I’ve been making an outfit for her...” she said, glancing between Twilight and the ground. “I only have what’s here in the barn for material... So... you know... flour sacks and straw and all that... but... it was all I could think to do...”

Twilight’s heart sank. No wonder Rarity was so nervous talking about it. She had spent the whole day making a funeral outfit for her own sister. And what’s worse, she was forced to use scrap material which wasn’t a bad thing necessarily but Rarity, she was sure, would have preferred to give her sister better material than some old sack found in the corner of a barn.

Twilight walked over to her friend and hugged her tightly. A tear ran down Rarity’s cheek and the white unicorn sniffled before pulling away from the embrace.

“Don’t make me cry again. I’ve been crying all day.” Twilight offered a heartfelt smile at her friend’s good natured humor and they each shared a moment through the underlying sadness. They only stared for a brief pause before they were interrupted by an Apple family member.

“Now that you’ve found Fluttershy, you just need Pinkie Pie, right?”

Twilight turned to see Apple Fritter and realized that everypony was staring at her. She nodded her head, understanding why they were already jumping to move to the next step. They had been patient so far but now that everyone was back and everyone had clearly survived, she gave no fault for them to push. The sooner this was over, the sooner no other pony would be hurt.

“Yes.” she said, pulling away from Rarity and facing the rest of them again. “Once we find Pinkie Pie and make sure that she’s safe, then we can use the Elements after Rainbow Dash is awake. I suggest we-”

“Shouldn’t everypony rest before you head out again?” Cheerilee asked, stepping out from the pen that Rainbow Dash was being held in and finally joining the conversation. Her voice was filled with concern and her eyes floated over to Big Mac where upon as soon as she locked eyes with his, he embarrassingly looked away.

“You’re right.” Twilight said. “I would still like to join the search party for Pinkie Pie but if everypony is willing to wait an hour or so before we head out I would be grateful.”

“It will be dark out.” mentioned Granny Smith. “Sure you want to go out then?” Twilight paused to think for a moment before she responded.

“The zomponies have attacked us during daylight before. Unless you can think of an example where they are suddenly more powerful during nighttime, I see no reason to put off the search. Especially if we attempt a shorter trip than going to Zecora’s hut. We could go to Sugarcube Corner and back, for example. That shouldn’t take us more than an hour in itself.”

Twilight looked up towards the back of the barn and focused her eyes on Mr. and Mrs. Cake, who looked at her with worried expressions.

“I know you said you didn’t see her at home before you left to come here,” Twilight explained. “But there’s always the possibility that she went back later to hide.”

The Cakes nodded and looked around to see if anypony objected. Nopony appeared to do so. Even Granny Smith appeared satisfied with the answer.

“Then Sugarcube Corner it is.” said the old mare.