• Published 13th Mar 2013
  • 1,493 Views, 23 Comments

Lullaby for a Princess - Scourgeous



Luna's past is darker than night if you stretch deep into the shadows of the Princess' lives.

  • ...
0
 23
 1,493

The Moon and Sun

The dusky sky was dotted with cold gray clouds, and tiny speckles of rain fell down upon the Canterlot Gardens. Roses were blooming row upon row on each side of the path. Ponies had gathered from all over Equestria, pulling their carriages full of supplies to keep them for the weeks they had resided in Canterlot. A festival of solar and lunar had waged for many days, slowly leading up to that day.

As the last sweet treats, apple pies, peaches, plums, and strong cider were munched down by the visiting ponies from afar, the a brilliant light began to rise from the horizon, and Pegasus ponies began to drive the clouds back to let in the glowing sun. The warm golden light washed over Canterlot, and the ponies stared up with brilliant grins that soon spread from face to face.

The crowd roared with cheering, and each pony bent to bow as King Artemis stepped out of the royal chariot, beating his starry black wings slowly before folding them neatly at his sides. He stared over each of the ponies, his gaze critiquing, then he trotted up the two steps to stand beside a fountain that was flowing quietly, carved from stone as a pair of ponies dancing and the water streaming from their pouted lips.

The next pony to step elegantly onto the scene was Queen Solaris. Her white mane billowed out to a golden and purple point. Her shimmering fur glinted in the sunlight as she stepped very slowly to stand beside the Alicorn stallion, looking over her kingdom with a small smile.

They were followed by two smaller ponies, both mares that shared traits of their parents. The two had never made an appearance to the citizens of Equestria, and as they stepped together off the chariot, the cheering erupted again, and the air was filled with bellows and whistles.

The older of the two was a bright white Pegasus with a delicate pink mane that whirled around her. Her younger sister was a navy blue unicorn with a lighter mane that curled down just below her jawline. Then dipped their heads politely to the squealing crowd, then hurried to stand between their parents.

King Artemis took a deep breath, raising his head and bellowing his royal Canterlot voice. "Silence!"

The ponies did not hesitate to cut their voices, and the ghostly silence that followed seemed to chill the air. They all stared expectantly at their king, who unfolded his wings very gradually, then closed his eyes, magic beginning to glow around his long horn. The moon began to appear like a disk on the horizon, almost seeming to glow white hot. It trailed up beneath the sun, hovered there for a moment, then with a spark of magic it slid up in front of the sun, turning the golden light into a sparkling silver.

Gasps of astonishment rippled through the crowd as they stared with wide eyes. Never before had they seen the two celestial elements cross in such a way that turned everything its light hit into a cold blaze. The unusual glow took the breath of the ponies watching, and Artemis slowly lowered his head and stepped back so Solaris could regally make her appearance.

"Citizens of Canterlot, and those from the furthest reaches of Equestria. It is in my deepest honor to see you gather in such numbers here today to witness the coronation of our beloved children." Her gentle, honey-smooth voice wafted over the crowd like a pleasant odor.

"These are our two daughters, who have lived in our castle without any interaction with the ponies of their nation for much of their lives. They have undertaken a deep and thorough education within our ranks, and now both of them are ready to become Princesses of Equestria." Artemis said, folding his wings finally.

Both regal parents turned to face their children, the two ponies remaining silent for the most part. They curtsied a little to their parents, then raised their heads to meet them eye for eye.

Artemis and Solaris spoke in unison. "Celestia, Luna, you are now ready to become Alicorns, and from there become the new royalty of Equestria!"

They craned their necked and pointed their horns straight at the mystified mares, a bright magical light like no other swirling around their horns, both revolving like vortexes. The light from the cross moon and sun seemed to glow ever brighter as the overwhelming light washed over Celestia and Luna, and they were engulfed, their bodies rising up slightly from the sheer power of the magic they were beholding.

The crowd seemed almost bewitched, their eyes locked on the moment, every second reflected in their unblinking gaze. It was over as soon as it had started, though, and the light dimmed away, leaving the King and Queen looking quite tired. The new Princesses faces were filled with delight, their hearts soaring with such excitement as they looked over their new features.

Celestia hurried over to the fountain to stare down at her reflection, admiring her curling white horn. Luna fluttered around without much clue of how to control her wings, all of her previous royal act gone and replaced with filly childishness. The parents stared down at them with pride glowing in their eyes, and once again the crowd roared with cheer.

Solaris leaned down to nuzzle her daughters, affection filling her gaze. "You two are free to roam the town for a few hours and meet the ponies you now rule over. When you are ready to come back, me and your father will be awaiting you in the chariot."

The King and Queen dipped their heads to the ponies, then stepped away from the spotlight, making their way back to the chariot. Celestia stretched each of her legs individually, posing for the crowd who was now rushing up the steps to greet them. She fluttered her eyelashes and nodded and spoke very politely to those who questioned her. On the other hoof, Luna was still bouncing around, laughing merrily and running with the fillies of the crowd.

"Why must you be so immature, sister?" Celestia hissed, catching up with her.

Luna pouted and poked her tongue out. 'I can do whatever I want!"

"We're princesses now!" She whined, as if it wasn't just her sister's antics that was bothering her. "You have to act royally. We're not like the other fillies. We're pegacorns."

"And we're just princesses. We're not queens." Luna sounded exasperated, but Tia just turned and trotted off in a huff.

She watched her sister go, then glanced at the bushes of the gardens, flinching. I could of sworn I saw a face... She was close to dismissing what she had seen flickering in the leaves, but she saw her sister heading towards it with an ashen look on her pretty white face.

What are you up to, Tia? She thought, barging through the ponies without so much as an excuse me. She slowed down, blending in with the others until she was sure that Celestia hadn't noticed her follow. Squeezing through the hedge, she shook leaves from her dark fur and looked around. Spotting her sister, she shrunk behind a shrub, peering through the spindly branches.

"What are you doing here?" Celestia growled, staring forward at a young, rather handsome draconequus.

He sneered and coiled around her, smiling and staring at her with bright eyes. "Don't you see what this means! You're royal now! You have the power to help me. My kind doesn't have to be frowned upon anymore."

She snorted and stepped away from him, and shock seemed to take over his mischievous look. "Don't you see what this means? I'm a princess, and my loyalty lies to the laws of harmony, not to chaos."

"But Tia," He whimpered, taking a step back from her with a look as if she had grown a second head.

"No." She hissed under her breath. "Maybe then when I was reckless and locked up in that dreadful castle without anyone to be with besides my annoying little sister. But no longer can we be friends." She turned on her heel and stormed off through the hedge.

The draconequus stared after her, reeling back like a snake. "But I wanted to be more than friends..." He muttered under his breath.

Luna gasped, then clasped her hooves over her mouth as soon as the sound had escaped. The creature with many appearances to his limbs whipped around, glowing eyes set on the bush she cowered behind. He took a deep breath and ran at it, hissing and snarling.

"Don't hurt me!" She wailed, skidding out from behind it so he could see her.

He skid to a halt, eyes wide with a mix of confusion and anger. "Get out of here! Scram little pony!"

She stood her ground, staring down at him. She bit her lip to stop herself crying out, staring down at the shaky draconequus. "I heard what my sister said to you."

"You're her sister?" He spat.

She lowered her head. "I cannot make up for the shame she has done. I am sorry, fair draconequus."

"Fair draconequus? I'm a lord of chaos! And you're a pretty pony princess. Scram back to your parents. Might as well tell them I'm here while your at it, they might as well turn me into stone for all it's worth."

She stared up at him, pained by his sever words. Only moments before he had spoken sweet of tongue to her sister, only to be turned away with rose-sharp thorns. Her turquoise eyes glittered with pity. She could almost feel behind his mask of hatred to the misery that was raining inside of him.

"Please, I only want to help you. My sister has turned into a vile little pony since she became a full princess. I'm not like that. My name is Luna and the true meaning of harmony is to share it with all."

He stared at her, unsure, then turned, admiring his lion's claws as he spread out his toes. "Why should I trust you, Luna."

She hesitated, then smiled gently. "You don't have to. But I'm the only pony who won't treat you like a pest."

To her horror, the draconequus was fading, his eyes set on the distance. She ran towards him, but skid just before she touched his transparent shape. He turned to face her, expression blank.

The last thing he said before he disappeared wasn't an answer to her offer to be his friend. "The name's Discord."

Author's Note:

I know Solaris is more commonly used for a male Celestia, but I think it fits her better than the other names for their parents. Just an opinion, if you have any names for her you like better just let me know and I'll see if I like them. :)

I've also never watched the Coronation episode, so excuse me if I mess up on how it is done.