• Published 13th Mar 2013
  • 1,490 Views, 23 Comments

Lullaby for a Princess - Scourgeous



Luna's past is darker than night if you stretch deep into the shadows of the Princess' lives.

  • ...
0
 23
 1,490

A Heart of Darkness

"Would you like me to show you how I raise the moon?"

Luna was sitting boredly at the longtable, staring at one of her hooves with meer interest in the crested shape of her foot compared to the idling world around her. Her father was droning on in the background of her conscious. Her mind was restless, battling with her own unease over recent events. Her sister was sitting on the other side of the table, pulling bits of fruit into her mouth using her magic.

Queen Solaris brushed her eldest daughters soft pink hair, eyes glowing with pride. "You two are doing so well. I couldn't be more proud of you both."

What if you knew your little daughter mooned over a draconequus like a dove? She glanced at her sister, wondering what feelings she had ever shared with Discord in their time of friendship. It almost felt like she was being stabbed to think about it, and she cleared the thought from her mind. Celestia gave up on Discord, I wont. He's my friend.

"Luna?"

She looked up, shaking her head clear, and staring up at her father. He glared down at her, looking angry for not listening. She winced nervously, then shook her head very slowly.

"I'm still tired from the other day." She lied, unable to meet his gaze. "Maybe tomorrow night?"

He stared at her for a long time, then smiled and nodded. "Whenever you are ready, my princess."

Luna hated how the family had separated into two halves after the coronation. Her mother and Celestia spent all their time together, and Luna to spend 90% of her own time with her father. She wished there was some kind of interchange between them, but it seemed like the moon and sun had split them apart after all.


Luna flitted up onto the roof, setting her hooves down very lightly. She looked around, scoping the roof for any sign of movement. When she was sure the coast was clear, she stepped quietly up to the ridge where the slope dived down, and sat on the verge of it.

The night hummed with cricket noise, and the air was ghostly cold. She took a deep breath and closed her eyes, feeling her mane tug with the wind. She knew Discord was late, and something deep within told her he would fail to show. The night only got cold, until she had to tuck her legs beneath herself and bury her face in her soft hair.

Please don't leave me alone here, Discord. Don't tell me you've ditched already...

The night wore on, and there was still no sign of Discord. Eventually, Luna got to her hooves, tears streaming down her cheeks. She stared up at the stars, pulling in ragged sobs. Her knees ached from kneeling down for so long. Celestia was right to abandon you! You're a jerk! She wiped her eyes, then tripped clumsily down the roof side, opening her wings and gliding off.

The sinking feeling within her choked her to the core. She had no friends in this castle now. Celestia had become mommy's little girl, and was trying to be the best princess Equestria had ever seen. Now Luna had to put up with the rest of her life, shadowed by Artemis, droning on day by day, shutting off the beautiful daylight with the luminescent moon.

With a hearty sigh, she landed gently on her window sill, then ducked inside. It was pitch black in her room as soon as she closed the window and pulled the curtain over. Thoughts of being princess of the night forever continued to haunt her as she climbed onto her bed.

Not watching where she put her hooves, there was suddenly something hard and warm beneath her, and she squeaked and stepped back as it moved. She opened her eyes wider as something shuffled around, and there was a soft crunch. Pressing herself to the back wall, she used her magic to light up the room. With the orb of light floating around her horn, she could see Discord's shape sprawled out across her bed.

"What are you doing?" She hissed, stomping one hoof.

He took a bite of the apple in his hand, crossing his hind legs and laying luxuriously out on the soft sheets. "Relaxing."

She rolled her eyes and jumped up, pushing him off with a hoof and onto the cold floor. "I can see that! You think you can trick me into thinking we were meeting, then use my room to relax?"

"That is exactly what I was thinking!" He chuckled, then stood up and dusted himself off, winking at her deviously. "I'm joking, deary. It was a must that I explored this wonderful castle of yours. By the time I'd caused chaos, I realized you would accuse me of being late anyway, so I stayed her for a surprise."

She growled and sat down on the bed, pouting at him. "I was upset! Wait... chaos? What did you do, Discord?"

He chuckled, making his way towards her window, using his claws to pull it open. He took a long breath, then turned to her, his eyes glowing like amber. She leaped off the bed and trotted up to him, frowning deeply as she leaned in his face.

"Tell me what you did." The fury rising within her was enough to make her want to hurt him and push him out of the window, but his cunning smile held her like a hook.

"I didn't have much on hand, I'm still practicing you know. But your sister will find herself in quite the sticky mess when she finds that everything in her room is cotton candy."

Luna blinked, eyes wide. "Cotton candy? Is that what you call chaos?"

"Controlled chaos." He corrected.

She rolled her eyes. "Get out. Before you get me in trouble. Celestia will know it is you who did it, she knew you somehow, after all."

He flinched, staring away from her and out the window, his tail swishing. "We were quite the pair, but she prone to change. Harmony is all she cares about now, and I'm quite the opposite."

She sighed and nuzzled him, noticing how downfallen he looked as soon as her sister was mentioned. She wanted to wrap her hooves around him and hug him, tell him everything she'd ever been through, how alone she was, but she couldn't. "Chaos is the opposite of harmony. And we are the princesses of harmony..."

He turned to face her, eyes slightly narrowed. He leaned forward and kissed her cheek, then darted out of the window like a snake. "I guess opposites attract!" He called over his shoulder, then disappeared into the night.

She stood there, rigid as stone, eyes wide as moons. The sudden act left her breathless, and when she gained her bearings she twirled back to her bed and released her hold on the light magic, plunging herself into darkness. Warmth filled her cheeks, and her heart fluttered in her chest like a bird in a cage. She flopped down onto her bed and wriggled around excitedly, then screamed into her pillow and stared at the wall, unable to wipe the grin from her face.

This is the beginning of something amazing. I know it is.