• Published 12th Mar 2013
  • 1,010 Views, 25 Comments

Bass Clefs and Sapphires - Crispn



Discord, in a last ditch effort to end a great war, has cursed the world. Ponykind has forgotten the war and moved on as a young man tries to live his life. His jaded past leaves him closed off from everyone until he ends up with a new roommate...

  • ...
22
 25
 1,010

Bruises are not a girl's best friend

Stepping out into the cold autumn air, I grabbed my phone and looked at the time. 7:30am. Great, it looks like that I am gonna be out here for a while. Still fuming a bit, I started walking towards the school. Felt like texting Vinyl to meet me up with me but as I thought about it, maybe overreacted a bit. It wasn't like Dash knew anything, I mean, I did just meet her yesterday.

Maybe I should go back and apologize. She was being really cool about letting me move in, no questions asked. Whelp, Vinyl was right, I can really just be a douche. Really should head back, but I think if I went back now, I would be torn apart by the three girls that I just scared and or pissed off. Well shit, Vinyl is gonna kill me. I most likely fucked up a great opportunity. Dash would probably be kicking me out after my little episode inside.

I sighed deeply and kept walking. Maybe a little walk would do me some good. I calmed down already but now I had to think of a good way to apologize and make up for this. Maybe take her out to lunch. Why did everything I thought of to make up for this was associated with food?

Turning the corner ahead still deep in thought about how to rectify this situation, I was promptly run over by a small person. Lying there on the ground in a daze, I started to hear voices that I somewhat recognized.

“Spike?” half mumbling in my dazed state.

“Crisp?! Oh My God Are you ok?! We didn't see you there and I'm so sorry. Sweetie was just so excited to go to the campus.” Spike quickly spoke as he helped me off the ground. Sure enough Sweetie was leaning up against a wall nursing a newly forming black eye from where she collided into my elbow.

“Are you ok, Sweetie Belle?” Apple Bloom asked, taking out a tissue and wiping up the small amount of blood off her friend's nose.

“It’s ok, I’m used to hurting myself all the time. When Apple Bloom and I went crusading for our marks as kids, we would get into all kinds of trouble and hurt ourselves bad. In fact, one time our friend Scootaloo broke her wing while attempting to become a human cannonball. You should meet her sometime. She is going to come to the school next fall. Same time as Apple Bloom.”

I smiled and laughed at the story, silently hoping that she was joking about how many times she has injured herself worse than this. I bent down to look at her eye, it was badly bruised and quickly swelling.

“I think we should take you to have Twilight look at that, Sweetie,” Spike quickly spoke when he noticed her injuries, “Who knows what your sister will do if she finds out what happened. She’d probably have my hide.”

“Well she’s at my place right now. If you want to get that looked at right now, its perfect timing to get injured, I mean to get it looked at.” I quickly stated taking a closer look at the now swollen eye of Sweetie Bell

I led the three teens up to my apartment. While Sweetie Belle and Spike went into the apartment, Apple Bloom pulled me to the side.

“I’m gonna need help running interference with Rarity. We can’t let her know that Sweetie Belle hurt herself again. Rarity is super protective of her baby sister and if she knew about this, she’d probably send her home and tell her to stay out there where their parents could look after her so she wouldn't get hurt again and would not let her come to school early.”

“OK, but why are you telling me this?”

“I need you to be the one to run it while I make sure Sweetie Belle is OK. Meet us at the school’s music department.” Apple Bloom quickly snatched up my phone and input her number into my phone and mine into her phone.

A little bewildered, I nodded my head. Apple Bloom then disappeared into the apartment, ready to do her job as a good friend. Before I could move though, Dash zipped out and landed right in front of me. She had a slightly pissed off look on her face.

“If I knew that you were going to be like this from the start,” Dash spat out, backing me up towards a wall, “I probably would have told Vinyl no, that I don’t need to deal with another cockbite like Thunderlane.”

Dash had pretty much pinned me up against a wall, so close that I could feel the breath fuming out of her nose. “If you ever do something like that again, to me or any of my friends, I will personally barbecue your wings myself and serve them for dinner.”

Panicking, I fell to the floor and felt my wings twinge under my weight. This small peg was getting dangerously close to me and she was starting to brandish her fists. I did not really know what to do but panicking was definitely what I was doing.

“I’m sorry I snapped Dash, it’s just I know only pain from these things. I’m super nervous and fidgety especially when I am put into a hyper emotionalized state like that. It’s not your fault. You did nothing wrong and I’m sorry.”

“Don’t give me that sob story crap, you scared Twilight and Pinkie, and I don’t think I have ever seen Pinkie scared. She got all weird and started worrying that it was her fault that you got all angry. I will never have anyone hurt my friends, ever!” Dash, with tears in her eyes, picked me up off the floor and slammed me against the wall. She raised her fist and looked as she was about to strike

I did the first thing that came to my mind. I pulled Dash into what was probably the tightest hug that I have ever given. It was something Vinyl used to do when I started having my panic attacks so it might work for anger. After a few seconds of her fidgeting and fuming in my arms, she started to relax and her breathing returned to normal.

“It’s OK, Dash. Up until now, the only one that even knew about my wings outside my family and the caretakers was Vinyl, and she barely found out yesterday. I am trying to break myself of shitty habits and prejudices but, to be honest, I am not sure how. If you want, I’ll go pack my things and take my leave. That way I won’t be able to hurt anyone you care about.”

Dash, breaking the hug, smacked me once again on the back of the head.

“Don’t be stupid. You aren't around those that have been shitty to you all your life. We are in your life now and as such, we will help you out in anyway we can. Providing you let us. I think it would be a good idea for you to come out about your wings, but if you are not ready, I will keep my promise. I made Twilight and Pinkie swear to it as well. We will be here to help.”

Smiling and laughing, “Thanks, and I’ll keep that in mind. You saw Sweetie Belle in there right?”

“Yea, looks like she managed to injure herself again. She always had a knack for it. Almost surprised her mark wasn't someone getting injured all the time.”

“Yea, well Apple Bloom kind of shanghai'd me into running interference on Rarity while she is getting patched up. To be honest, I have no idea how to do this. Any chance you can help me on this one?”

Dash smiled and whipped out her phone, “Let me call Ditzy, she is usually really good about helping people out. Looks like I’m about to get a second breakfast. Oh and you can repay me for scaring me by buying.”

Glowering at the small peg in front of me, I sighed and agreed to her terms. To which she exclaimed a victory any quickly dragged me downstairs, but not before pulling Pinkie out of the apartment.

Bawling giant tears, Pinkie leapt onto me and gripped me so hard I swear I could hear my wings snap under the pressure.

“I’m so sorry, Crisp. If there is anything that I can do to make it up to you, please please please let me know.” She cried into my chest.

Patting the party girl on her frizzy pink hair, I set her down on the ground with a smile on my face,
“Thanks Pinkie, and I will hold you to that. Now, I guess it’s time to go find Rarity before she finds out what’s going on?”

“Yep,” Dash replied “Now let’s get going before we miss her, she should be passing by here anytime now.”