• Published 12th Mar 2013
  • 1,010 Views, 25 Comments

Bass Clefs and Sapphires - Crispn



Discord, in a last ditch effort to end a great war, has cursed the world. Ponykind has forgotten the war and moved on as a young man tries to live his life. His jaded past leaves him closed off from everyone until he ends up with a new roommate...

  • ...
22
 25
 1,010

The Librarian of Golden Oaks

“Ow…”

“Well, it would not hurt so much if you would just use the holster instead of just trying to flap freely.”

It had been another two days since I had woken up. The nurses managed to get me into the wheelchair to go up and around. Being out of that bed felt amazing. I was really never one for sitting still for long periods of time with nothing to do. The same goes for being taken care of. I mean I can't complain about it but sometimes... I just have to be able to do stuff on my own.

"Yeah yeah, I know, Vinyl. It's just-"

"More annoying than useful?" She quipped back before I could finish.

"Pretty much. But it’s going to be a good day. I get released tomorrow which means that this nightmare is just about over.”

“Yeaah,” Vinyl chuckled, “and it’s time for the horror that is physical therapy to start.”

Oh right, physical therapy. The lasting reminder that that complete and utter waste of flesh left me with. I closed my wing and reached up to feel the cast of the left wing. It was weird to me to feel the cast. Whenever I had had my wings broken they had been put into a splint, so I guess it was a little strange for me to actually get medical attention for them.

“It’ll be fine.”

“I figured, especially with Rares fawning all over you for the entirety of it.”

“Can’t argue with that. But I will be honest, it’s a bit exhausting.”

“What is?” Vinyl asked incredulously, “being waited on hand and foot by someone that cares about you?”

“You know how I am, Vinyl,” I chuckled as she wheeled me back towards the room, “I’m just a bit more independent.” It was true. Rarity had not left my side once since the incident with Ridger, but there was something weird about it too. Every time I moved my left hand towards her, she flinched just ever so slightly. I don’t think she noticed she was doing it at all, but I saw it. I couldn’t figure it out. It was like she was afraid of that hand, because she wouldn’t flinch when I would reach out with my right.

“Hey, Crispy.” Vinyl said, smacking me in the back of the head. “There’s something I need to talk to you about.”

“Yeah? What about.”

“Living arrangements.”

“Living arrangements? You mean like what am I going to do about the apartment?”

“No, not that. Dash has, like, twelve different places lined up for you and her to move into.”

“Well, hopefully she planned on Rarity moving in as well, because that is going to happen whether or not Dash agrees.”

“And me.” Vinyl said rather quietly.

“You?”

“Yep. I’m moving in with you also.”

“Wait, what about Tavi? Isn’t she going to have problems filling the room?”

“She’s moving back home for the rest of the semester,” Vinyl said through gritted teeth, “something about needing to go home and take the rest of the year off to help her grandmother. All well and good but she kind of left without finding a new tenant and I will not be able to afford that place by myself.”

“So your plan was to ask Dash if you could move in as well?”

“Well for now it would just be living on the couch. You guys wouldn’t be able to move in until the 15th anyway. But you’re cool with that. Right?”

I turned around to see a sight I thought I would never see. Vinyl looking nervous. She always exerted this crazy level of confidence that to see her shifting slightly side to side was nerve wracking.

“No, Vinyl.” I said. She looked like she was about to smack me so hard Ridger would have been proud, but that was until she saw me smile. She returned it and threw her arms around me. “Of course you can stay with us, you colossal idiot. Why wouldn’t I help out my best friend?”

“Well, that’s another thing...I feel like we haven’t been that close since you and Rarity started dating. I mean, I’m happy for you and all, but I don’t really like the thought of losing my best friend.”

I reached my arms up and grasped her in my arms, holding her awkwardly in them as I shifted forward in the chair.

“Do you honestly think you aren’t my best friend?” I asked her, feeling her shift uncomfortably in my arms.

“When was the last time we got to hang out… just the two of us? It’s been over a month now, and I just don’t like-”

“Vinyl,” I said, stroking her hair, “you’re right.”

“Damn right I am.” She half snickered behind a small sniffle.

“It’s just been a weird time for me, but honestly I have you to thank for getting me here. If it wasn’t for you, I would never have met Dash and moved out of my car. I wouldn’t have started dating Rarity and I most certainly would not have found out who my mother was. I wouldn’t change what you have done for me for anything, except this.” I stated, gesturing at my battered body.

“We will get to have our bbf time, Vinyl. I promise.”

Vinyl was silent. She broke off the hug and started to wheel me back to my room. I felt somewhat slighted, but at the same time, I could understand. We shouldn’t have to make plans and or promises to hang out. Best friends are just supposed to randomly do stuff and have fun and be sad and do things together, right?

“Did you really just call it bbf time?” Vinyl said, slightly amused.

“Yes…”

“Idiot.” She said as she draped her arms over my shoulders and placed her head on my right shoulder. “I’m holding you to that, Mr. Lulamoon. Promise me you won’t get into another fight that almost kills you?”

“Well, I was thinking about picking a fight with Big Mac, telling him that AJ was pregnant with my child and that she left of course I am not going to be that stupid. I already have a broken wing and leg, and I don’t even know about my hand so yeah not looking to start any fights soon.”

Vinyl laughed as she wheeled back into my room/prison for the last night. I groaned as she pushed me towards the bed and forced me back into it. I honestly did not want to get back in the damn thing but try as I might, Vinyl had the edge up on me with her magic.

“There you go, you big baby,” Vinyl said breathless, after forcing the blanket over my legs, “now just be a good boy and wait here. We will be back to get you tomorrow for the trip home.”


“Wait, Vinyl.” I called as she headed towards the door.

“Yeah?” she replied, turning back towards me.

“I’m worried about her.”

“About Rarity?”

“Yeah, kinda.”

“What do you have to be worried about, you weren’t the one watching as someone that you care about and love just lay there, never knowing if they were going to return to you!” She said, advancing on me, her fists clenched and emanating with her magic.

“That’s exactly why I’m worried… can you just check up on her? Please?” I pleaded with Vinyl, hoping she would understand. “You are my best friend in the world and I’m asking this of you because I trust you the most with it. She has been a little flinchy around me and it makes me worried. Can you please just-”

And without warning, Vinyl had closed the gap and had placed her lips on my forehead. I could feel the heat coming from her lips as she held them there, holding my head in her hands. After a couple of seconds, she broke away and dropped her head down so our eyes were level with each others.

“I love you, Crisp.” she said, “not in a romantic way like you and Rarity, but as my best friend and younger brother almost. I would have been devastated if you didn’t wake up. We all would have. Just remember that.”

I stared into her eyes deeply as she did mine. Tears began to well up as she moved away from me and back towards the door.

“Just remember that we all love you. And that you are not alone anymore,” she stated from the doorframe, her back towards me.

“Vinyl?” I asked. She turned back towards me, clutching her sunglasses in her hand. “I love you too. You really are my best friend and one of the few people I would trust with my life. I’m glad that I didn’t disappoint you by not waking up.”

She laughed as she wiped a tear from her eye. “Idiot,” she mumbled as she did. She smiled at me and nodded. “I’ll see what I can do for you two, ok?” I nodded back in return. “Now, I am super late to meet Rarity and Dash at the apartment to pack and talk with Professor Kaos. We will see you tomorrow.” She finished as she closed the door behind her.

I stared at the door for what seemed hours. The sunlight passed over the room as I kept my stoic vigil, not budging at all. Eventually, the nurse called Redheart entered the room, bringing along my final meal with the hospital. I thanked her for all she had done for me, while I was asleep and awake. She smiled and told me it was just her duty and left, but not before she asked if there was anything else I needed.

“No, but if I think of something I can just page yeah?”

“Of course. Now please get some rest, but I am sure that’s the last thing you want after last week.” She joked as she too left the room.

Alone again. Well, I did have my food. Oh hospital food, how I would not miss it one bit. Soon I would be back in my own kitchen being able to cook for everyone again. We would laugh and joke and sing and party just like we had over the last two months. I went to grab my phone to look at some of those pictures from the parties, but bumped into the shoebox instead.

Right, this was a thing. My mother, all put into a box; a vhs tape, a small book and a stack of photos were all that I had from her. I moved the box onto my lap and dug through it, pulling out the pictures.

I had gone over these pictures a dozen times, just looking at her. She was a sight to see. Her auburn hair always shimmering in whatever light and her frosted brown wings covering toddler me gave me a bit of comfort, even though she was no longer around to give it. I could almost feel the warmth of those wings around my shoulders, shielding me from everything that would dare endanger her child.

I began to flip through the other pictures, looking for the one of Rarity and me as toddlers, but it was no where to be found. I began to panic, that was the only picture I had of me and Rarity where I could see both of our eyes. I always seemed to have them closed. I emptied the contents of the box onto my lap as I shook out the box, hoping the picture had nestled underneath the other items. The book fell open and there was the picture. It must have somehow got wedged into the pages the last time I put them away.

I gazed at the picture, admiring the hope that was in it. Two children, friends from the beginning now finally reunited. I placed the picture down ontop of the pages of the open book, but something else caught my eye. The text, it wasn’t printed, it was handwritten. This wasn’t just any book, this must have been my mother’s diary or journal. I picked it up, wanting to read it, desperate to know her.

Journal entry 2: I finally made it to Procient University. After what seemed hours of travel from the southern mountains, I finally arrived, and I was ready. I want to get to my classes right away. It took a lot for me to even get into my prerequisite courses. I think my academic advisor wrote me that it was almost impossible that a peg would succeed as a librarian, that pegs would do much better in some sort of other program. Engineering perhaps, but I didn’t want that, I love books and learning and just a librarian called to me. Maybe I will be the first peg in history to run my own library. Wouldn’t that just stick it to her, huh? Anyway, I moved into my room, but it seems like my roommate hasn’t arrived yet. Guess that means I get the top bunk haha.

I couldn’t believe it, my mother was a complete goofball, she was writing as if she thought the book would respond back. I sighed and flipped a few pages over.

Journal entry 6: Pearl, ugh Pearl where do I even begin with her. She is just so annoying, always trying to get me to do things like hang out and do stuff. I don’t want to do that kind of crap. I am here to study and do well. I don’t have time for games with her or even that giant oaf of a boyfriend she has.

I busted out laughing at this one. She roomed with Pearl? That must be how she knew Magnum too, the “giant oaf”.

Journal entry 11: Classes have finally begun. I am so excited. I only had one class today and that was my Physics 101 class. I heard that Professor Kaos actually taught his classes personally and not having a TA do it like most but I didn’t believe it. But there he was, walking on the ceiling, giving us our welcome. He was so funny. Magnum was in the class too. He sat next to me. He’s weird. I don’t understand what Pearl sees in him. But there was a boy near the front of class that was kind of cute.

Journal entry 19: Rensous and I finally went on our first date after so many days of waiting. He may be a bit older than me, but he is such a young soul. He told me a lot about himself. He has a daughter, I can’t wait to meet her. I’m just sorry that her mother isn’t there to be with her. I can’t imagine what life would be like without one. Pearl says we should double date. I agreed. I can’t believe I am saying this but I am really glad she is my friend.

Journal entry 33: I… I don’t know what to do. Rensous has become cold and distant with me. I fear there may be someone else. I hope not because I found out I’m pregnant. I can’t be pregnant. I just can’t. I thought unis were supposed to be smarter than this but I am just as much to blame. I just hope Pearl doesn’t find out. Or Professor Kaos. I would be devastated if my friends were to find out about how terrible I am.

Journal entry 41: I’m leaving. I am leaving Procient. I told him about my predicament. But I was just met with a cold icy stare. She came back into his life. And she demanded that he be there for her daughter. But what about my child. I have no idea what I am going to do but I am not staying here. I hope one day to return but that seems unlikely. I don’t think I am going to tell Pearl or Disc or even Magnum about this. I don’t want to burden them with my problems.

Journal entry 45: I started over. Up north in a quaint little town nestled in a valley. It is so calm and serene here. Even though I am almost 6 months pregnant, the mayor was kind enough to let me move into the Golden Oaks library. I can’t begin to tell you how ecstatic I am. I get to be a librarian. Now I just hope that this little bundle doesn’t cause me too much trouble.

Journal entry 71: I came home from the hospital today, with my new baby son. I decided to call him Crisp Magnum Sheen. I wanted nothing to do with his father, the rat bastard. Disc showed up unexpectedly, I couldn’t believe he remembers me. He was so thrilled to see me again. He told me all about my departure and what it had done to my two best friends, who apparently were also with a child. Pearl was about 7 months along and just getting ready. Magnum had left school to play professional football and Pearl left to get ready for the baby. I hope their child is just as wonderful as mine is.

Journal entry 78: I lied, Crisp is a problem child. He could fly at a week old and is almost impossible to get to sleep. But Disc gave me a lullaby to sing him to sleep every night. And it works like clockwork. And if I sing it, he calms down almost immediately. It was a godsend.

Journal entry 110: It has been almost two years since I have seen Pearl and Magnum. I cannot wait to see them and their little girl. Disc told me that they would be here in a week’s time. I just am so excited and relieved that they still remember me. He asked of me something that I don’t know if I can do. He is giving me until their arrival to decide.

Journal entry 114: RARITY IS THE CUTEST THING I HAVE EVER SEEN! I cannot believe that Magnum was able to have such a beautiful child. I guess he has this rugged quality about him but I don’t see it. I hope Crisp and Rarity get to grow up to be friends. And that shouldn’t be too hard. Pearl and Magnum are moving here.

Journal entry 129: Something happened the other night. I was attacked walking home from the store. They came at me with knives and they slashed at me. I could feel the blades run across my skin but nothing happened. All that was there was a long slim shimmering line. It looked like crystal almost.

Journal entry 131: It’s spreading. I don’t know what is going on. I wrote to Disc but he hasn’t gotten back to me yet. I think it has something to do with how I feel. It spreads the most when I feel depressed or angry.

Journal entry 134: I found something, a book in the basement of the library. It talks about fantastical creatures and occurrences like mine. Even a kingdom made entirely out of crystal. It is written like it is a history book but there is nothing in the records about any sort of empire such as this.

The entries stopped there. I flipped through the pages looking for more. More information. My mother is like me. She has the same crystallion skin that I have. But there was nothing else she wrote on it. After ten pages or so, I found a page. There was only one word and a symbol, written in thick red ink.

Three very thick lines, all parallel to each other, and the word SOMBR. The R trailed off to the bottom of the page. What was this about? Three lines, but the way they looked… it looked familiar. I put the book down and rubbed my eyes. It was getting around lights out but I wasn’t tired at all. I had to know more. Maybe the tape had something else. Like a research tape or something.

I paged Nurse Redheart into the room, and asked her to place the tape into the vcr on the other side of the room. Once she had she left.

The screen blipped to life as it showed four panels, each different cameras of the library. Security footage? But there was no sound…just picture. I ran through the tape, looking for anything, anything out of the ordinary. I saw Uncle Disc and Magnum and Pearl shut off the cameras and then turn them back on. I saw me flying around the library, my mother chasing me.

I saw three figures enter the library. They approached Amber at her desk, where she looked baffled and angry at the same time. It looked like she was screaming at them as she moved herself in front of the door to the living quarters, where I was. Then I saw it. A figure telekinetically lift her up in the air, break her wing and slam her into a bookshelf. I saw laughter erupt across his face, as his eyes billowed smoke. It was almost like my nightmare me, but with the black and white film I couldn’t tell.

One of the figures ducked into the back room and came out with a bundle in their arms. All three promptly left the library. And then, that’s when I saw the worst, my mother rise to her feet, her entire body shimmering as long blades grew from over her hands. She chased the figures out of library and out of the camera.

I kept watching, waiting for her to return, knowing what was to happen but unable to watch and yet still unable to look away. After the tape had ticked away almost an hour, a bloody figure stumbled into the library. It walked to the desk and with its blood soaked fingers, it wrote in a small book before collapsing on the desk. The crystal armor cracked and parted from the frame of my mother’s broken body. Her entire body shimmered like my hand as she fell to the floor. I watched as the blood leaked from her wounds and she eventually stilled from her movements.

I could feel myself tear. “Mom?” I called out towards the movie, in the back of my head knowing there would be no answer. “Move, Mom. Come on you have to move… please?” I said, feeling the tears fall as I knew that she was dead on the floor. I couldn’t bare it. I was the reason she was dead. I was kidnapped for whatever reason and she died trying to save me. I lost it. I just began to sob and break down. I don’t know when I passed out from exhaustion, but as I did, I could hear the laughter clearly as I did.

Author's Note:

Oh... My... God...

It is good to be back everyone. After an almost three month hiatus, I return and bring you a chapter.

I will talk more about this chapter in a blog, but now I am going to sleep after I fire my editor.