• Published 11th Mar 2013
  • 4,317 Views, 52 Comments

To Be A Mare and A Gentlecolt - DaringDo-Productions



Rainbow Dash has never really cared much about the way she acted, being a tomboy and all—until a certain Wonderbolt came along

  • ...
13
 52
 4,317

Chapter 2

~Rainbow Dash~


"Ready to get beaten, Thunderlane?" Rainbow Dash smirked at her friend, as she stretched her wings in preparation for flight.


"Look who's talking. We'll see what you have to say when you meet me at the finish line. Get ready to kiss my hooves," The dark grey stallion retorted, flashing a smirk of his own as he focused on the finish line about a kilometer away from the Ponyville Flight Training grounds, where they currently were.


The two ponies were going to have an airborne race soon, and they were just preparing for it. Thunderlane and Rainbow Dash were both very competitive ponies, which was a reason why they were good friends too. Always up for races and competitions with one another. In fact, Thunderlane was probably the only pegasus in Ponyville who could meet up to Rainbow Dash's standards when it came to racing and flying.


"Um...get ready... the race'll be starting soon," Fluttershy said, as she picked up the flag with her mouth.


Both pegasi crouched down, ready to set off. They both fixed their gazes on the finish line marked earlier, which was visible from their starting point, but only just.

"Alright, you two. This'll be a fair race, no dirty tricks of any sort. Fly through all of the cloud hoops, no skipping any. No taking any shortcuts or goin' off-course. Other than that, nothing else. May the best pony win!" Applejack yelled in excitement, as she nodded at Fluttershy and stepped back.


"Uh....One, two...three," Fluttershy squeaked, waving the flag, and both pegasi set off at the same time, leaving a cloud of dust behind them.


Rainbow Dash felt a rush of excitement and adrenaline course through her body as she dived towards the first cloud hoop. Thunderlane was only a few inches behind her and she could see him struggling to overtake her.


Thunderlane, when he put his mind to it, he could fly even faster than Rainbow Dash. He was a ridiculously stubborn yet determined stallion, and an incredibly fast pegasus. Because of this, racing against him was exhilarating and challenging to Rainbow Dash. But she still wanted, no—needed, to win. They both did, actually. You could say both of them were pretty proud ponies. Losing wasn't exactly something either Thunderlane or Rainbow Dash liked. Which is why they always pushed themselves as hard as they could, especially when it came to racing.


Rainbow Dash slid through the fifth cloud hoop with ease, and she could tell that Thunderlane was gaining on her. She could feel the tiny gusts of wind caused by the stallions powerful wing beats. Hurry...hurry... Rainbow Dash urged herself as she attempted to flap her wings more furiously, which was energy-consuming. Rainbow Dash groaned as she gave a powerful flap, and pushed herself towards the direction of Sugarcube Corner, even though the sixth cloud hoop was nowhere near there. Maybe if I just 'missed' one, it's not like Applejack can see me from there or something Rainbow Dash then turned to look behind her. She gasped as she saw her friend hot on her trail. "Why in Equestria is that idiot following me?" she grumbled to herself.


She was about to yell at him when Thunderlane's face scrunched up, and he let out a groan. His eyes were full of terror and alarm as his mouth moved furiously, but no words came out. Rainbow Dash looked at him in worry, as her eyes slowly trailed towards his wings. She braced herself, knowing that she probably wouldn't like what she saw.


The muscles in Thunderlane's right wing was tensed, and he had a pained look on his face. Rainbow Dash knew what this was. All pegasi were required to, for safety purposes. It was a wing cramp, probably due to him over exerting himself, especially since he had to have more powerful strokes to keep up with Rainbow Dash.


"Watch out!" Thunderlane screeched at her, getting his voice back. Rainbow Dash attempted to dodge out of the way, but it was too late. Thunderlane slammed into her, almost knocking her senseless. Rainbow Dash groaned in pain as both pegasi started spiraling towards a crowd near Sugarcube Corner.


Normally, Rainbow Dash would be able to keep her balance and maybe help Thunderlane, but the stallion seemed to have put on more weight recently. Plus, she was see stars and dark swirls of blackness. Dizziness. Not a good sign. Rainbow Dash managed to form out a weak thought as she heard Thunderlane's voice again.


"Watch out below! Somepony, help!" Thunderlane hollered, crashing into the roof of Sugarcube Corner a few seconds later. He fell faster than Rainbow Dash, and it had a heavier impact, as he was much heavier than the rainbow-maned mare.


Rainbow Dash, on the other hoof, was headed straight for the large crowd of ponies, her eyes shut tight in an attempt to stop the dizziness and nausea. Below her, ponies scrambled away from where they estimated she was going to hit. Moments later, Rainbow Dash felt herself come into contact with something....soft.


"Oof!" somepony grunted in a low voice; causing Rainbow Dash to deduce that it was either a colt or a stallion. She let out another groan, squeezing her eyes shut even tighter. The pony under her wriggled out, causing her to hit the ground softly.


Rainbow Dash could hear the soft murmuring and furious conversations around her, and faintly she could make out Applejack's voice because of the orange mare's accent.


Rainbow Dash forced herself to open her eyes, her vision still blurred as she looked around her...and into a pair bright green eyes.



Wait...she recognized those pair of eyes. Which dedicated fan wouldn't? That belonged to the one and only Soarin.Of the Wonderbolts! Rainbow Dash struggled to keep awake, especially since her idol was in front of her. Her body, however, thought otherwise. Drained of energy, and weak as a filly, Rainbow Dash felt herself slipping away into unconsciousness. The last thing she heard was Soarin chuckling to himself.


Well, that isn't now ponies usually fall for me, is it?

Author's Note:

Okay. This is bad, really. I just didn't want to make you wait.
Crappy chappie to make thou happy.
That rhymed. Don't hate me for this chapter. I love you.
{EDIT: Feel free to drop a comment, no extreme hate though, please! :) }