• Published 9th Mar 2013
  • 2,764 Views, 76 Comments

Resistance of steel - Valsion



The mane six, Spike and Luna need to travel to another dimension to hide Luna from malicious gods that wish to see her demise. To help them defend themselves, they are gifted with powerful machines. A Super Robot Wars crossover.

  • ...
5
 76
 2,764

The Black Knights

Resistance of steel

Chapter 9 The Black Knights

Twilight and Rarity were brought into the headquarters of GGG after they helped to defend the city against what they learned was a Zonder machine. These Zonders were of alien origin and landed on Earth by a meteor, that also nearly killed Guy Shishio. If it was not for the help of Galeon, the lion robot, he would have surely died in space.

In return, Twilight Sparkle told everyone about her own story, how she went to Ponyville, Nightmare Moon, her friends and what they experienced during their time together. They also told them of their mission. "You see, finding the princess and getting her to a safe place is our highest priority now. Could you by any chance help us?" Pleaded the lavender unicorn mare.

Taiga was thinking about the possibilities. This Princess Luna needed help but they will be busy with the Britannian Empire and the Zonders. There was a mutually beneficial solution though. "We can help each other. If you help us against the Zonders, we will keep a lookout for your friends and we could also keep Princess Luna safe here." He offered. He was, deep down, a gentleman and couldn't just deny a lady shelter if needed.

"Thank you so much, after what I've seen, I am sure she would be safe here." Said Rarity, taking another look towards Guy. He was certainly impressive in how he handled that monster.

Inside of Twilight's head, an inner tactician was awoken, now that she had a better understanding of the situation. "Still, there are many dangers in this world. In order to keep Princess Luna safe, we might have to secure this country against it's invaders." A knot formed in her stomach as she realized that this meant going to war. "Are there any other allies we have?" She asked.

"Most of them are busy holding their own lines." Answered Taiga, before rubbing his chin, apparently in deep thought. "But after what you told me, you have gotten the attention of Zero. While I don't really trust guys that hide behind masks, he is definitely a genius." While he was wary of the masked rebel leader, he did have enormous respect for him. "Also, the way he rescued Suzaku Kururugi took a lot of guts, something we value very much here."

This drew blank stares from the ponies, who did not know who Zero was. "Oh right, you haven't seen it. Let me show you the video footage. Mikoto, can you please open the video file?" The woman nodded and brought up the video on the big screen.

Twilight and Rarity watched as the wagon drove past the large crowd, almost like a parade float, guarded by those machines they saw at the mountain. The announcer told of how the man, imprisoned on top of that wagon, killed one of their princes. The escort was lead by a man named Jeremiah Gottswald, who was apparently a high ranking Knightmare pilot. Then everything came to a halt, as something approached the escort. It was a lone vehicle, with some sort of box on top of it. Apparently the car belonged to said prince, or at least looked like his car.

It was indeed very impressive, when the masked and cloaked man revealed himself, staring fearlessly at the military robots in front of him, while he himself remained perfectly still. While the video did not show the driver clearly, they saw a shaking, hunched silhouette inside the car. "I must admit, I love his outfit." Rarity swooned, taking in the sharp design of his cloak. The way he stood there, he looked a bit like a chess piece, the black king to be precise. He was the very picture of calmness, as not even the arrival of more Britannian Knightmare Frames seemed to faze him.

The leader of the Britannians then ordered him to take his mask off and for a moment, it seemed like this Zero would comply. But as he already had his hand on his mask, he instead raised his arm and snapped his fingers. Behind him was a large box on the car, which now burst open, revealing a strange machine. Taiga turned towards the ponies and started to explain. "We don't know what originally was in that container. When Zero revealed himself it contained a harmless, colored gas that is usually used during festivals. Before that moment however, I guess the Britannians thought there was poison gas inside."

The equestrians were a little shocked, as the man who calls himself Zero loudly announced that he was the real killer of the Britannian prince. Regicide was something unfamiliar to both mares, and even then they never thought to hear about the murderer announcing his deed right in front of the military. Twilight could not imagine doing something like this but it made even less sense for her that he testified when another person was already blamed.

In a way, the whole scene was exciting to watch, even though a little scary. How did Zero escape together with the man he wanted to rescue? Regicide is not something one could easily get away with. "You don't want me to tell everyone about Orange do you?" Threatened the masked man suddenly. The ponies looked towards Taiga, confused to what Zero means by that but Taiga only shrugged. "We don't know what he meant with orange but..." He gestured towards the screen again, where the car with Zero on top got closer to Jeremiah Gottswald.

Wether or not Zero really had something against him, the tactic worked. Zero just ordered him to release Suzaku and he obliged. Zero stepped down from the car and the driver also left the vehicle, while the soldiers guarding Suzaku untied him. Right next to Jeremiah's Knightmare Frame, the released prisoner met the one who freed him. Before the Britannians could do anything else though, Zero pressed the button of a remote control and a pink gas came out of the container on the car and the spectators around them panicked.

During the panic, Zero and his companion jumped off the bridge, along with Suzaku. Luckily for them, a safety net caught all three of them and their pursuers were held off by Jeremiah, who was strangely determined to make sure they got away. Whatever this “orange” business was, it seemed to be really bad for that man.

With that, the screen went black again. “As you see, this man made the impossible possible and rescued Suzaku Kururugi without problems, despite being completely under equipped.” Mikoto said. “Whether or not we ally ourselves with him is a different question... to be honest, I have a strange, bad feeling about him.” There was something about Zero that made her and the rest of the GGG team wary. Not only his mask but also the coldness he depicted whenever he made a public appearance.

Twilight and Rarity were also unsure what to think of this man. It was good that he rescued that Suzaku guy but the fact that he can calmly admit to killing someone and endangering innocent civilians left a bad taste in their mouths. “I can't really make the decision for you. If you think it helps, maybe we could try to contact him. Although I can already tell you that I won't do anything that endangers innocent people.” Twilight announced.

“Don't worry, any strategy of his, that does this will be shot down immediately. Like what he did to Shatter Mountain just a day ago.” Taiga mumbled.

It dawned on the ponies now. “Did he... cause a huge landslide?” She asked, remembering their own entrance into this world. Did they really get in the crossfire of the Britannian empire and Zero?

“You were there? Yes, he killed a lot of people that day, when the landslide destroyed a good portion of the city at the base. Somehow I wanna team up with him, just so I can keep an eye on his actions. While effective, that was incredibly reckless.” Taiga said. If his expectations of Zero were right, he should be willing to trade his brutal methods for extra help.

For a little longer, the ponies and the members of GGG talked about their plans for the future, and got to know each other a little better. They quickly became friends, as they shared their stories. The courage they all have shown, certainly impressed the others and built a strong sense of respect for each other. Taiga was sure, those mares would fit in perfectly with their group and that they would be able to keep them good company, while helping them find their friends.


In the outskirts of the city, the Britannian forces that pursued the unknown mech were gathering. Princess Cornelia herself came along in order to pursue the machine that has appeared out of nowhere. Her personal knights insisted that she stayed away from the enemy territory, as they have gotten reports about a new super robot. The princess countered that they would have to investigate properly anyway and should use this chance to destroy the mech, before the elevens could use it against them. It was bad enough that other factions of the still independent parts of Japan had powerful robots.

Princess Euphemia, who had been in the command center during Shatter Mountain, had been sent back though, as she had no combat skills to protect herself and has not yet chosen a knight for herself yet. Furthermore, Cornelia loved her sister very much, while she needed to see some combat herself, this risk was too much.

As she lead the troops through the mountain range, she took a look at the white Knightmare Frame and sneered. What was that crazy scientist thnking? Letting an eleven pilot a new, experimental Knightmare Frame? It was unheard of, even though the pilot was confirmed to be a honorary Britannian. As if that wasn't bad enough, now they insisted on coming along. What guaranteed them, that the pilot of the Lancelot won't just desert and give this new technology into enemy hands? Even though he saved her life, she won't ever trust him. Princess Cornelia already planned to keep him close, so she can immediately kill him, if he makes one wrong move.

Finally she reached the spot, where their spy was already waiting. Dressed up like a hiker, he waved them over and saluted, as the princess got out of her Knightmare. “Your highness, the unknown mech is here. I can also confirm the existence of another super robot. Here are the pictures.” The spy handed over a series of photos, showing not only the robot from Shatter Mountain, but also the new super robot.

“This new machine is affiliated with GGG?” She asked, slightly amused as she looked at the design. Those elevens, they make their war machines look like toys for children. What was even the point of creating drill tanks, a stealth jet and a train to combine with the main frame, why not just build it in complete state. At this point the princess was convinced, that those people must be children when it comes to weapon design.

“Yes, the unknown mech from Shatter mountain also seemed to be allied with them. They teamed up and went to the GGG headquarters together.” The spy confirmed. Since GGG was the leading force in technology in this area, it was only natural that he would keep a close eye on them. Even if it meant swimming through the dirty water, he installed surveillance equipment in the area, the best he could get.

“Very good, you have served your country well. Since your cover is not blown, return to your post and continue to observe GGG.” Cornelia ordered. The spy bowed his head, before heading off towards the city again. The princess then turned around to the other Gloucester, which was piloted by one of her personal knights. “Darlton, please set up a communication relays, I will give them one chance to surrender. If our intel is right, they won't risk the civiians.”


“Everyone, we are being contacted.” Mikoto called out. This surprised everyone in the room, as no mission was underway and no external force should be able to contact them. Mikoto analyzed the signal, it came from the mountain range outside. “It's... Princess Cornelia.” A gasp went through the room. If the witch of Britannia was here, this will be a problem. Guy knew, even with GaoGaiGar's power, she would still have reinforcements and she was also a superior pilot. It would be a difficult fight. Still, they needed to hear what she had to say.

“Put her through, Twilight, Rarity, hide behind that console.” Taiga ordered, gesturing the pony towards the console Mikoto was sitting at. The two ponies huddled up, so anyone seeing the room through the screen would not see them. The face of the Britannian princess then appeared on the large screen. “Princess Cornelia, what an unexpected honor. Surely you must have gotten lost, being so far off the territory you have claimed.” Venom was in Taiga's voice as he addressed her. The injustice his fellow Japanese had to go through, under the rule of the Britannians never ceased to fill him with anger.

“I assure you, we know exactly where we are. And you know exactly why we are here.” Cornelia held a picture up to the camera, showing GaoGaiGar and Granteed. “We know that these two mechs are in your possession. The holy Britannian empire can no longer tolerate how you amass such weapons. I am willing to cut you a deal though.” She said with a smirk. The princess knew that everyone can be bought, if they just get the right price.

Taiga raised an eyebrow at this sudden offer. “Is that so? What would you be willing to offer to us?” The slightest smirk was seen on his face and the other members of GGG shared this expression as they waited for the answer of the princess. “Please keep in mind, the purpose of our mech, GaoGaiGar, is to fight the Zonders. If you know about it, you must also have seen the Zonder.”

“Simple. If you are willing to join the Britannian empire and surrender your mechs to us, you all shall receive Britannian citizenship and noble titles. You would enjoy all the benefits and can live worry free. As for those... Zonders, they won't stand a chance against the full might of the Britannian empire.” Cornelia was very sure of herself. No one would refuse such an offer. The remnants of Japan were on the defensive, they couldn't possibly hold out forever and they knew that.

Taiga rubbed his chin, apparently in deep thought. “That is indeed a tempting offer. Everyone here could live the high life. Wealth, power, what could you want more?” For a moment, the ponies had doubt that they would have to surrender Granteed to them but then they saw the smirk on Mikoto's face and knew what would come next.

Princess Cornelia was pleased. They made a push into Japanese territory and secured two powerful robots for themselves without too much trouble. “Very well then, we shall come to secure those robots....”

“Just a moment.” Taiga interrupted her, grinning at the camera. “I almost forgot the GGG bylaws. Just giving this city, GaiGaiGar and Granteed to you sounds awfully similar to giving up and the GGG bylaws clearly state, Article five, section one hundred and twenty: Under no circumstances must a GGG member ever give up.”

All other members of GGG stood up at this point, glaring defiantly at the screen. It was truly an impressive scene. Twilight and Rarity could feel the raw determination coming from all of them. Even though they stayed in their hiding spot, they too looked in the general direction of the screen, glaring at the princess. “They won't give up and neither will we. I don't think I could face the others again if we surrendered.” Whispered Twilight.

Rarity nodded her head in agreement. “I shall show that brute what a real lady is like.”

On the screen, princess Cornelia looked furious. “You will regret this. Your childish bylaws will mean nothing once your city burns. I will personally make sure you are all executed.” With this final threat, the screen went black again and the two ponies left their hiding spot.

Taiga turned around again to see the others applauding. “Alright, looks like someone else wants to threaten this city, let's treat them just like the other guys we have to beat up. Their soldiers are fueled only by blind obedience, we however are fueled by courage and willpower. No matter how many troops they send against us, no matter how furiously they attack, we will not lose.” At this, the room exploded into cheers. Everyones hearts were set on the goal, now they only needed to get ready.


After they had the confirmation that Britannian troops were nearby, it was relatively easy to find their location. Guy already piloted GaiGar, while Twilight and Rarity sat in the cockpit of the Granteed. They remembered the first time they met the Britannians too well but this time they won't run. “Alright, I hope you are ready. The goal in this mission is to beat them back, no reason to pursue. Rarity, Twilight, you won't need to worry about the enemy pilots as long as you are careful. All Knightmare Frames come with an ejection system for the cockpit. As soon as the frames have taken enough damage.” Mikoto explained to them.

As soon as the message about the impeding attack was out, the civilians were evacuated to shelters. Still, they did not want to leave them homeless after this is over, so they all had orders to make sure to minimize collateral damage. “Very well, we will be careful.” Promised Rarity.

A series of shapes were moving in from the mountains, the Britannian forces started their attack. “Alright you two, we will have to strike quick. Aim at their arms and legs.” Guy advised, as they stepped into the open. Now they could already make out the Knightmare Frames. Princess Cornelia was not there yet, all of them were the standard Glasgow types.

The enemy opened fire immediately, forcing Granteed and GaiGar to split up. Without the additional armor, GaiGar was a lot faster, allowing him to jump into the middle of an enemy group and swipe their legs away. The response were a bunch of falling Knightmare Frames and cockpits, flying away to get the pilot to safety.

Granteed had a more difficult time. Twilight aimed the head mounted orgone cannon, while simultaneously shielding with the arms. Finally they got a good shot. Rarity activated the orgone cannon, aiming between two rows of armor, blowing their arms off.

Even though they were outnumbered, Twilight, Rarity and Guy did very well against their attackers. With more Knightmares gone, the ponies did not have to fight so defensive anymore. Still, it was always a relief when they saw the ejection of a cockpit. Guy on the other hand became suspicious. He heard enough about Princess Cornelia, she was not the kind of princess to just stay behind, she wanted to be on the front lines. So where was her Gloucester?

“Guy!” Mikoto's voice suddenly alarmed them, “this is a distraction, three Gloucesters and a few Glasgows have approached from the east side of the city and are heading for the GGG headquarters.”

The hearts of all the pilots skipped a beat. Twilight especially cursed herself, since she was not even suspecting something like this. In retrospect, they should have put up an emergency plan. “Twilight, Rarity, Cornelia is out of your league, try to defeat the rest of these guys, I have to safe the headquarters.” Guy hated to leave them alone but if they reached GGG, everything would be lost.

A nod came from the Granteed. This was bad but almost all enemies were already taken out, so they should be able to handle the rest. Half a dozen Glasgows were still standing, even now that their energy got low, they should be able to handle it.

Deciding not to waste more energy, the ponies decided to trust in the Granteed's shields, as they charged. While Granteed was not a very fast machine, they still managed to evade the fire somewhat, as they shot down two more machines. The rest of them were almost in close combat range and Twilight already readied the arms for a strike, as something hit the ground right next to them, causing an explosion and knocking the Granteed off balance. Both unicorns quickly regained their senses, as the looked in the direction, from which the explosion came.

Six more Glasgows with bazookas have flanked them while they concentrated on the front. Twilight fearfully realized, that they have fallen right into their trap. First step, distract them with a frontal attack. Second step, lure one of them away by revealing their sneak attack. Last step, have some troops come in from the flank, while their unit is alone. “Surrender in the name of the holy Britannian empire.”

It was over, there was nothing they could do anymore. Without Guy's help, they couldn't defeat them and he was probably busy with princess Cornelia.

Twilight almost wanted to give Rarity the sign to power Granteed down, as another explosion rocked the ground. For a moment they wondered, if the Britannians lost patience and attacked but this time it was them who were attacked. “Who was that?” Rarity wondered, as a dozen black versions of the Knightmare frames appeared.

The Britannian troops turned towards the new arrivals, as they too were destroyed. This time the shots came from the direction of the city. Some more black Knightmares came into the open from between the buildings, one of them with a golden decoration on it's head, probably indicating the leader. Said leader opened contact with the Granteed. “I am Zero, we have met before but were not formally introduced I presume.”

This was the man, Zero. It was kinda exciting to meet him, after they already saw what he could do. They already talked about possibly teaming up with him and now here he was, saving their lives. “Thank you, my name is Twilight Sparkle and with me is Rarity. We still have to save Guy, he went to pursue...”

“I know, they have already been intercepted.” While GGG has fallen for the trap of the princess, they were at least smart enough to use code names. It would not take much longer to find their real names though. “Zero, we managed to catch up with Princess Cornelia.” A female voice chimed in on their conversation. Just as Zero expected from his top pilot.

“Understood, remember that our first priority is to make contact with GGG, do not pursue if she flees.” It would be foolish to take such a large risk now. If they lost the Gurren MKII, they needed to succeed in winning GGG over, just to make up for that loss. “Now, back to you two. I have come here to negotiate an alliance between GGG and the Black Knights.”

In the middle of the city, Guy almost attacked the red Knightmare frame that suddenly appeared, thinking it was another trap. Instead though, the red Knightmare frame attacked the Gloucesters, together with a few black Glasgows that came from any street and alley wide enough to let them through.

Cornelia and her knights were very skilled pilots but even all three of them could not fight off such an advanced machine and a super robot, while surrounded by more units. Guy saw his chance. “FINAL FUSION!”

It was approved immediately and GaiGar surrounded itself with a green energy field. Most of the Black Knights were entranced by the show and watched, as the Gao-machines entered the field and the combined machine emerged. “GAOGAIGAR!” The super robot was combined again and Guy was ready to kick those Britannians out of the city.

Cornelia knew better than to try and defeat them without backup. “Retreat, we will have to return with reinforcements.” She ordered. “Yes, your majesty.” Both knights answered. They stormed off to the direction they came from, destroying the Black Knights Knightmares on the way. Kallen had just finished reporting to Zero. It infuriated her that she could not pursue but by now she though it was better to listen to Zero. His plans were often questionable but he was a miracle worker.

Now it was time to get what they came for.


They gathered up much of the scrap metal from the destroyed Britannian Knightmare frames, as well as any spare ammo. With these materials, they could secure their own supplies for a long time. Guy, Twilight and Rarity went back into the headquarters first. It was quickly agreed, that the ponies would hide until a proper alliance was developed. Shortly after they went into the neighboring room, Zero came down the elevator, with Kallen and Ougi, his best soldiers at his side.

All eyes were on the man, clad in a black cloak. Guy was still suspicious of him but he was not ungrateful, he could respect the mans intelligence and appreciated the help, so he was willing to give him a chance. “Hello Zero, thank you for your help.” He greeted the man.

“Greetings, I have come here so we may join our forces. You too are now in the sights of the Britannian empire, only if we work together do we have a chance to repel them.” He announced. A rousing speech, only gaining a strange vibe through his machine distorted voice. His grand gestures he performed, while doing his speeches also made it look almost like a theater play.

“Well then Zero, we are not the kind of people too proud to accept help.” Taiga said, with a welcoming smile. But then his expression turned a lot sterner. “But if we are to become allies you will adhere to some rules. Number one is not to needlessly endanger innocent lives, like you did on Shatter Mountain.”

It was to be expected that they would want to enforce some rules. Being able to do that certainly would dispell any doubts about his intentions. “Agreed, I will adhere to that rule. Other rules will be adhered to as well, after reviewing them.” He hoped his plans would not be restricted too much, he needed to have some freedom and he couldn't abuse loopholes too much.

“Very well then, it's agreed. In that case, I am sure you'll want to meet the two pilots of the Granteed?” He asked. In secret, he wanted to see Zero's reaction to them.

“It would be a pleasure to meet them.” A quick meetin, a background check and everything would fall in place. With a bit of luck, he could win them over even if the alliance with GGG fails.

Taiga pushed down a button on his console. “Twilight, Rarity, we have some new friends for you to meet, please return to the command center.” Just a few moments later, the door slid open and Zero turned to face them. Ougi's mouth hung open and Kallen's eyes were wide, even Zero flinched in surprise, as two colorful ponies with horns on their heads entered the room. “Hello there, my name is Twilight Sparkle and this is Rarity.”